Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Ardent wrote: »

Nothing new that. ICU medics and nurses here have been saying this for a couple of weeks now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I see a few comments on this thread about how this will screw up plans.

Unfortunately, many of us are led to believe that life is a track and there are set goal points to reach by certain ages or dates.

In reality it does not always work like that. A lot of things can and do happen: recessions, illness, conflicts (we had one on this island until 1993), wars (not just WWII - plenty of our parents generations who had any time living in the US faced being drafted into Vietnam and Korea and so on), bizarre political instability - Brexit being a good example of it as is Trump, and even on a personal level people run into illness, injuries, family issues and so on.

All I'm saying is that life is about adaptation. COVID-19 is one of those situations where we're all just going to have to work around the problems it's presenting and will continue to present over the next few years. It will mean plans will be delayed, disrupted or changed, but that's just life.

We've had a lucky few decades, far luckier than most of those who've gone before us. Times were generally very predictable.

I just think we all need to take stock, see things in perspective and accept that life can throw things out of kilter now and again.

We're still lucky in the sense we live in a highly developed social democratic country and one that people are willing to pull together in a crisis and deal with it. Keep that sense of perspective as this next year or two will be bumpy but we do have each other and stand behind each other and we will get through it and come out the other side and eventually this will just be a memory that you'll be droning on about in your old age to anyone who'll listen.

In the meantime all any of us can do is be flexible and try and deal with this one day at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,859 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

People asking questions of Trump, pans to reporter in seated area, the seating is flip down seating at White House, She's sitting in one , but seat next to her has no one in it, so seat is in it's flipped up position, so underneath of seat is viewable, and their is chewing gum stuck all over it. The whole general seated area is filthy in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Yeah but there's still the world of havoc this'll wreak on the economy. What about that?

We will all be dealing with that together. Almost all of us are worried about it. To look at it one way: We’re all in this together. A slightly different take on the same message: You’re not special.

When I graduated college at 21 it was into the last major global financial crisis.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ardent wrote: »
    Apologies if already posted. French chief epidemiologist claims obesity is a major risk factor for covid19.
    It's something that has long struck me looking at photos of people in the media who have died younger. It might be partly why more men die from this compared to women? While obesity affects both, men tend to pile on abdominal fat, which can't be easy on the breathing. Men suffer more from sleep apnoea too and obesity is a major factor in that(though not the only one of course).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

D.Q wrote: »
    Nothing is irreparable. Especially at 22. Comes across as extremely entitled.

Ironically enough death is the only irreparable thing in life, the one thing all these restrictions are trying to avoid. But if you've had a relatively unscathed life as far as tragedy is concerned I can understand how this may seem like the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Gee I wish I was 22 again and my biggest worry was my current entry level job and a part time degree...wow...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What is the story with ferries bringing in holiday makers from the UK?

Can anyone in the UK hop on a Ferry and sail over?

Any **** driving off in their camper van should be quarried at the port in the carpark for two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's something that has long struck me looking at photos of people in the media who have died younger. It might be partly why more men die from this compared to women? While obesity affects both, men tend to pile on abdominal fat, which can't be easy on the breathing. Men suffer more from sleep apnoea too and obesity is a major factor in that(though not the only one of course).
    they say more men in europe smoke (but I would have though more women smoke here)

JJayoo wrote: »

Any **** driving off in their camper van should be quarried at the port in the carpark for two weeks

On the news it said only about a dozen cars got the ferry over today and it’s usually the busiest day of the year.

They were all interviewed and waved on by Gardai. Likely a lot of irish coming home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Trump on Sweden:
    If we took that approach we'd have 2 million people dead now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I don't think Hololan said anything wrong tonight (it was Henry who wouldn't answer questions on test results)

its the person who wrote the press release that confused the journalists because the german lab result figure isn't in it https://twitter.com/ciananbrennan/status/1248668178642862080

Zara King and George Lee had to ask about 8 times to get clarity off Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Sorry I forgot people without wives and kids don't have lives worth living. Good lad.

the point is you don't have a mortgage or kids to worry about. you won't starve. you're 22 your career hasn't even started. this will be over in a year and you'll be fine. people that have to support families and have mortgages may legitimately be ****ed long after this is over. but you know all that and are just trolling of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

The initial figure of about 7,000 cases is incorrect and it is actually over 8,000.

When the journalists took him up on this mistake, he seemed to caught off guard and a little defensive.

Perhaps it's exhaustion, but this doesn't look good if he was trying to conceal the real case load.

He didn't make a mistake - you're as bad as the journalist :rolleyes: He explained quite clearly and had to do it many times because of the thick journalist. The 7000 figure was a comprehensive figure, with all the analysis and calculations from 2 days ago. The 8000 figure is the most up to date total figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

JJayoo wrote: »

Why would anyone bother their holes , to travel somewhere , everywhere is locked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

JamesM wrote: »
    He didn't make a mistake - you're as bad as the journalist :rolleyes: He explained quite clearly and had to do it many times because of the thick journalist. The 7000 figure was a comprehensive figure, with all the analysis and calculations from 2 days ago. The 8000 figure is the most up to date total figure.

Why didn't he just say 8,000 from the beginning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Dare I ask which total was given on the 9 o'clock news? If we have two different figures it's going to get confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Yeah but there's still the world of havoc this'll wreak on the economy. What about that?

Opportunities abound in all circumstances

Pick up some cheap shares ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Trump has a big decision coming up. Any ideas what it is?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Wibbs wrote: »

Interesting point Wibbs.
    When the ratio came out in China, some pointed to smoking.

Do we have any decent global analysis that teases apart these factors? As in, these underlying conditions can be accounted for, and does sex still come out as being a factor?

It's frustrating to me the lack of analysis in the public domain. Surely we have enough data globally now.

• Advertisement

Zara King and George Lee had to ask about 8 times to get clarity off Tony.
    they misunderstood and both admitted so, its the press release not including the german lab number that confused them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Seamai wrote: »
    Dare I ask which total was given on the 9 o'clock news? If we have two different figures it's going to get confusing.

Did you not just watch the News at 9?

What they said was
    It was also confirmed this evening that 480 new cases of cornoavirus have been identified, bringing the total number of cases to 7,054.
    When results from tests sent to Germany are included, the total number of confirmed cases of Covid-19 here is 8089.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,279 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Seamai wrote: »

The 8000 figure is the total overall number, including the German test results.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pinch Flat wrote:
    Vodka and saunas not working for belarus. Who would have thought?
    And they are one of the countries where sport is still being played.
    The others that I'm aware of are Nicaragua,Tajikistan, Burundi and Taiwan.

JamesM wrote: »
    no there are actually 3 figures the HPSC figure was was 7xxx, todays figure which was 7xxx+ and the total figure including the german lab results which was 8xxx.

and there the ECDC figure which may be from a different time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Why didn't he just say 8,000 from the beginning?
    He did ! He gave both figures, but they weren't concentrating and just wanted dramatic copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

syngindub wrote: »
    Trump has a big decision coming up. Any ideas what it is?

Which button to press next on his Fisher Price activity centre . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Funny how they include German lab results on the day they extend restrictions

A cynic would wonder if they deliberately withheld the information?

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Funny how they include German lab results on the day they extend restrictions

A cynic would wonder if they deliberately withheld the information?
    they gave it yesterday too (if not the day before that aswell)

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Interesting point Wibbs.
    When the ratio came out in China, some pointed to smoking.

Do we have any decent global analysis that teases apart these factors? As in, these underlying conditions can be accounted for, and does sex still come out as being a factor?

It's frustrating to me the lack of analysis in the public domain. Surely we have enough data globally now.

There was an article in the Irish Times the other day about this. A doctor talking about the lifestyle factors; obesity and smoking but also that women are more likely to go see a doctor early on if something is wrong.

This is mostly well known but the interesting part was she said women seem to just be better at fighting off viruses generally. Could be a survival of the species thing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement