Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

No choice. Currently living with my mam, who's in the group that have to be cocooned. Sister brings shopping to the house. I just can't let her have a bar of chocolate in a wrapper straight out of a shopping bag.

You are right to be careful. Don’t take risks. I am wiping down my food as before it goes into fridge now to reduce risk to my kids as it’s a new disease. I don’t think it’s nuts at all, it’s just common sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just listening to Drivetime on RTE radio. Seems to be pretty serious issues with testing in this country with test centres closing due to faulty test kits/lack of test kits and then big backlog in analysing the tests that are actually carried out.

Fcuking hell. The test kits are faulty.

Just the other day, testing centres closed because they ran out from tests. Now tests are faulty. Are these new tests and did they come in of the flight from china?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Why are you doing all that? Once in your home should be no need for that sort of thing. Once home I only wash hands as normal (I.e. after toilet, preparing raw meat or if actually dirty).

It would be great if I lived alone but I don't. My housemate came out of their bedroom and into the kitchen, emptied the dishwasher without washing their hands. They presumed they was clean coming out of their bedroom, emptied the dishwasher and touched everything. If they had the virus, they were only transferring it to everything they were taking out and putting away. I'm doing so much cleaning, before, during and after I eat. Cleaning door knobs and presses, and washing hands as well. I've been fairly OCD lately with all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You can't spread or receive the virus by going on the road in a car or by walking in an area where there is nobody within 100 metres.

Cool. And the fact that everyone has the same idea doesn;t have any impact does it.

The 2Km rule is to enforce the sense of urgency of what is at stake. You packing your car up and heading off for the day encourages other to do the same and somewhat absolve themselves from blame because sure, 'other people are going out'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

citysights wrote: »
    I’m busy at home so just jumped in here now to catch up are we having new restrictions anyone know?

Nothing announced at present but that could change in a week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Christy42 wrote: »
    Cases are a decent but below their peak at least. Not good news on the deaths but that figure probably trails the changes in the cases by a week or two?

Yeah probably right. I'd just hoped to see the deaths below 500 or so can't even imagine what's going on over there at present it really is their apocalypse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I think some kind of sport needs to resume in the next few months. Sports are important to a great deal of people and I hate the sanctimony wheeled out by some whenever it’s mentioned. Nobody wants anyone to put in danger but there’s nothing wrong with trying to look at ways to get some sport going again. My own personal jam is the Olympics and as I’m terminally ill, I’m devastated that it’s been postponed for a year. I don’t know if I’ll be around then.

Feck, I don't know what to say to the last bit of your post but I will remember it whenever the Olympics takes place and hope to see you posting. Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

You can't spread or receive the virus by going on the road in a car or by walking in an area where there is nobody within 100 metres.

Stop being selfish. The rules are there for a reason right or wrong you aren't above them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

507739.png

Norway vs Denmark vs Sweden

Very strong correlation between a severe lockdown in Norway, middle of the road approach in Denmark and a laisse faire approach from the Swedes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Cool. And the fact that everyone has the same idea doesn;t have any impact does it.

The 2Km rule is to enforce the sense of urgency of what is at stake. You packing your car up and heading off for the day encourages other to do the same and somewhat absolve themselves from blame because sure, 'other people are going out'.

That's the problem , 1 or 2 are just going for a drive, then 3 or 4 are just going for a drive suddenly everyone's just going for a drive,

Then 1 or 2 of them are just getting out of the care to take picture, or to look at something , then everyone is doing it,

Just adhere to the rules the best you can , if there is a park 2.5 k away you like to walk to then do it but don't take the p*ss,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

owlbethere wrote: »
    How did this happen? We were at 88 ICU the other day - was it yesterday. Now we have the figure of 133 ICU beds taken. We don't have a lot of ICU beds at all in the country. How many ICU beds do we have? Is it about 250? This is dreadful and it's what many of us here on boards were dreading.

I dont know how many beds we have i know they were talking about bringing another 25 on line on the 5th march. varadkar was only saying the other day we are may be at capacity in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

208 new deaths recorded in New York so far today.

6 in Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Let them do the same and absolve themselves, it won't make any difference to the spread of the virus. Besides they don't know where I'm going, for all they know I'm heading off to the groceries.

I think people should concentrate on actual ways they could potentially spread or pick up the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Jesus if you read this thread you'd swear nobody was adhering to the rules and guidance in place. Hysterical nonsense. People are doing their part, some just enjoy spreading misery on here.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I had really hoped to see a big drop but that is heartbreaking.

Fcuk this virus

About the same as yesterday then. It could be that other regions cases are rising to keep up the overall national number. Lombardy's new cases, the original epicentre and hardest hit, are definitely dropping which is a bit of good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,205 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just the other day, testing centres closed because they ran out from tests. Now tests are faulty. Are these new tests and did they come in of the flight from china?

I'd highly doubt they're faulty, they were vetted by gov and are on the WHO supplier list.

If anything I wouldn't put it past being the kits that cosgrave was banging on about being donated by a Chinese businessman, a few other European countries saying the kits are faulty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

No. What has arrived and will be arriving from China is PPE equipment (masks, gloves, goggles etc). The testing kits are sourced elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭bb12

Yeah this is true. I live in the country and my neighbour goes for an 11 mile cycle loop on very quiet country roads.
    I think he repeats the loop to get in some mileage. I have zero problem with it. Why?
    1. It's none of my business
    2. It doesn't risk himself or anyone else

so he's cycling along the lovely country lanes, coughs, splutters or spits and it lands on a field gate. it's the busiest time of the year for farming, so farmer comes along, opens said field gate and voila they are infected.

most farmers work alone so you've just taken a food producer out of circulation and probably risked the lives of many animals as it's right bang in the middle of calving and lambing season right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

AdamD wrote: »
    Jesus if you read this thread you'd swear nobody was adhering to the rules and guidance in place. Hysterical nonsense. People are doing their part, some just enjoy spreading misery on here.

Absolutely everyone I know and all around me are doing what is asked of them
    The vast majority are being reasonable

bb12 wrote: »
    so he's cycling along the lovely country lanes, coughs, splutters or spits and it lands on a field gate. it's the busiest time of the year for farming, so farmer comes along, opens said field gate and voila they are infected.

most farmers work alone so you've just taken a food producer out of circulation and probably risked the lives of many animals as it's right bang in the middle of calving and lambing season right now.

Stop, you are making me laugh. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭jackboy

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just listening to Drivetime on RTE radio. Seems to be pretty serious issues with testing in this country with test centres closing due to faulty test kits/lack of test kits and then big backlog in analysing the tests that are actually carried out.

Very serious. How can we ever ease off the restrictions if we have no accurate way of testing sufficient numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Worldometers have changed their reporting to include the date of first reported case in each country, unless it was always there and I just hadn’t noticed ( didn’t think it was though)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

day 23 of Italy's lockdown.
    still 800+ deaths. I know there is a lag & it is leveling off.

But very disapointing there is not drop off like in china.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

What is today's recovered figure?
    AFAIK there isn't any available in Ireland.

Seems to be presumed that if you've tested 'Positive' and your're still alive 14 days later, you've 'Recovered'.

No tests being done on people being discharged from hospital, which I got from half-attention to questions at yesterday's briefing.

There was a figure of 5 on John Hopkins virtually from the start but where it came from don't know it hasn't increased though.

Don't understand why no testing on discharge though, see to remember something about two time spaced clear tests before discharge but that was waaay back.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

Let them do the same and absolve themselves, it won't make any difference to the spread of the virus. Besides they don't know where I'm going, for all they know I'm heading off to the groceries.

I think people should concentrate on actual ways they could potentially spread or pick up the virus.
    Stop, you are making me laugh. :pac:

Why oh why are there so many knobs that just can't do what the authorities are asking them to do in the interests of us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Exactly. The same people were shouting about people going to the beach a week ago saying that we would be Italy by this week because of it. These people are almost disappointed that we are not . I went to that beach over that weekend and everyone was observing social distancing. Now that nobody is going to the beach they want to complain about their neighbour who walked 2.3km away or the family who walked three abreast so they had to step onto the grass. We are doing a fantastic job as a nation. I'm for the measures put in place. But the original measures were probably enough for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

It would be great if I lived alone but I don't. My housemate came out of their bedroom and into the kitchen, emptied the dishwasher without washing their hands. They presumed they was clean coming out of their bedroom, emptied the dishwasher and touched everything. If they had the virus, they were only transferring it to everything they were taking out and putting away. I'm doing so much cleaning, before, during and after I eat. Cleaning door knobs and presses, and washing hands as well. I've been fairly OCD lately with all this.
    Sorry to hear about your reckless flatmate.
    I raised earlier the issue that (despite Ireland having a low density) Dublin as London as a high percentage of accomodation sharing (compared to other European cities), and it is not easy at all to social distance in a house share.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭Nollog

Better than spreading covid

MD1990 wrote: »
    day 23 of Italy's lockdown.
    still 800+ deaths. I know there is a lag & it is leveling off.

But very disapointing there is not drop off like in china.

It's only leveling off because of the lockdown and the fact that there aren't as many potential new people to infect. It could very well end up that 70% of people end up infected.

This idea that we'll be over the worst of it in two weeks and it'll be plain sailing after that is hocus pocus nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

jackboy wrote: »
    Very serious. How can we ever ease off the restrictions if we have no accurate way of testing sufficient numbers?

Fergal Bowers said this morning that it's the number of hospital and ICU admissions (and deaths) that needs to be focused on (rather than the number of confirmed cases, due to issues with the tests/getting test results).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement