Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

So it`s just once a day for the national figure then?

Yeah but places like worldometers will show the state totals so far as the USA total.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,569 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I cant wait to just give the aul pair a hug and sit down for a natter with a cup of coffee and scone with them ,Honestly it'll bring tears to see them get to hug there grand kids again ,

How we wish we could see and hug our grandchildren! This is the only thing we've struggled with through the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,392 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

wonski wrote: »
    We have no lockdown.

Just some people working from home.

The rest walking around and driving around.

Lockdown lol...

It doesn't matter what it's called. Ireland's version is on a par with most of the very restrictive ones (what's going on in Italy and Spain is off the scale compared to most countries).

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just listening to Drivetime on RTE radio. Seems to be pretty serious issues with testing in this country with test centres closing due to faulty test kits/lack of test kits and then big backlog in analysing the tests that are actually carried out.

As positive as I’m trying to be this doesn’t surprise me

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The article does mention coughs and sneezes in relation to this distance though, as well as a warm & moist atmosphere as a medium. An 8 metre rule for distancing would be simply unworkable unfortunately.

Do you know what would help reducing the spread? MASKS.
    Anyone else get triggered when they give statistics about how it's mostly people with "underlying conditions"? It just seems like they're saying "oh it won't affect me, sod those people". There's something a bit nasty about the way they do it. As if "it's ok guys, they had underlying conditions".

These people they're talking about are perfectly healthy with decades of high quality life expectancy left who have "underlying conditions". Dismissing it as "underlying conditions" because you happen to have asthma, heart disease, diabetes is so crass. Who doesn't have "underlying conditions".

I hope people without underlying conditions get it just as much. It's good news for people without other conditions, bad news for those with them.

I completely disagree with your "I'm going to disregard the 2km rule" post, but I completely agree with this one.
    spookwoman wrote: »
    Didn't someone say here the other day they knew one of the people who had died and that they were a nurse

I think the authorities are playing with semantics: it could have been a healthcare assistant who passed away instead of a nurse (similar in the sense that both care for a patient, but they're very different roles).
    kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Yes but we had a liberal approach and it done us a lot of good. See our day on day increases now a fraction of what they were. We are not Italy or Spain we don't live staked on top of each other in apartments.

Newsflash - lots of the red areas in Italy aren't large cities, they're towns with detached houses.

Vo', for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Where do you live?

Where I am there's almost nobody on the streets. And we're not having a total lockdown - everyone is expected to stay inside except for essential trips, and exercise. So there will be a small number of people out, validly, at any one time.

Good for you.

What I see outside is a joke. Centra being a hot spot. There are families sitting around having chat regularly outside. With other families.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Is the update in new cases at 7 PM again.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

I think New York may even update every hour, or at least several times a day?

Yes.Their main report often coincides with the Governor's press conference.I think the public/private hospitals may have different reporting times or maybe its certain hospital groups that report differently.

In any event if you look at what the any individual state reported yesterday you will have a fair idea if they have fully reported for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

In my opinion there is no possibility of the restrictions being lifted for several months.

UK eyeing 6 months, Italy eyeing June. Most governments are simply not telling people the truth in relation to that.

This "two weeks" stuff, "Easter", "end of April" - that's all completely unrealistic.

Open up and we'll be locked down again with an explosion in cases within days.

In that way we are effectively trapped until we have a vaccine.

If you look at Italy for example and the horror they go through - it's flattening out for them but that's only because they have placed an artificial lid on it through a lockdown.

As I said before it's like a pressure cooker - remove the lid and undo everything.

We need a proven tested vaccine ultimately.

It will simply not possible to go indefinitely with the current restrictions that are Imposed.
    There will be some form of restrictions for the foreseeable future but not what we have know

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Good for you.

What I see outside is a joke. Centra being a hot spot. There are families sitting around having chat regularly outside. With other families.

Ridiculous. Tbf where I am I can only see compliance, which I’m amazed at given the last few weeks it seemed like people were incapable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

On Italy, deaths still bad but new cases are dropping ....

from the last few days ...

26/3/2020 6153 662
    27/3/2020 5909 919
    28/3/2020 5974 889
    29/3/2020 5217 756
    30/3/2020 4050 812
    31/3/2020 4053 837

sorry for the sh!t formatting

• Registered Users Posts: 23,615 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

New York's Governor Cuomo says they have seen the biggest surge in the rate of hospitalisations in the last 24 hours.

Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1244977299486883840

That's the level

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

So it`s just once a day for the national figure then?

The national figure is the running total of the individual states and it's near midnight our time before you will have an accurate day on day figure.

Even at that a change in reporting time can result in some states reporting twice in a 24 hour period and some might miss the 24 hour window.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

ZX7R wrote: »
    It will simply not possible to go indefinitely with the current restrictions that are Imposed.
    There will be some form of restrictions for the foreseeable future but not what we have know

Best hope is a cheap and readily available test that shows if you have had the virus. Then hope that humans can't be reinfected by Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

103 in ICU as of yesterday in ROI according to Virgin Media News and that some private hospitals have already been treating public patients

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

849 deaths in Spain today

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    103 in ICU as of yesterday in ROI according to Virgin Media News and that some private hospitals have already been treating public patients

133 according to the IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I don't understand it. It's mostly cop on and I don't have a degree in microbiology. Why does it seem difficult to some people?

Quite a high % of people are incapable of thinking for themselves outside the realms of basics.

By nature most people are sheep who need to be led.

Good for you.

I would say 100% compliance here where I am in a very built up part of Drogheda. I really dont understand this "people still out partying" stuff.... really?

Anywhere I have gone is eerily quiet, no kids out at all and there are 900 houses in my estate. I think people have really copped on .

I would also say that telling people they can only exercise within 2km means there WILL be a lot of people out in built up areas, you cant avoid it. For that reason I dont think the 2km rule has been thought through.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

ZX7R wrote: »

Our hospitals are almost at breaking point with over 120 cases in ICU. Italy has over 4000 in a serious/critical condition.

There will be more restrictions. For how long, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Its only a matter of time before a stay at home order is enforced for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

We have no lockdown.

Just some people working from home.

The rest walking around and driving around.

Lockdown lol...

No lockdown, tell me any time you have seen temple bar like this at any time of day or night.

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

The cities pigeons must be lepping with the hunger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    How we wish we could see and hug our grandchildren! This is the only thing we've struggled with through the past few weeks.

If it’s any consolation, your children and grandchildren feel the same and are thinking of you. My boyfriends mother was on the phone a few hours begging to drop “something small” off outside and he had to get really tough with her about the reality of the situation. It was heartbreaking for all of us, but she’s taking too many risks and needed to hear it.

We miss her madly, but we also want her to be here for cuddles and chats and cups of tea when this is all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Mortality rate in Italy is now 11.7%.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Fergal Bowers said this morning that it's the number of hospital and ICU admissions (and deaths) that needs to be focused on (rather than the number of confirmed cases, due to issues with the tests/getting test results).

Yes this is what I think is more important as testing will differ depending on how tests are being carried out and what criteria. It’s the ability our hospitals have to treat the patients that is more important as opposed to the amount of people testing positive ( in my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Our hospitals are almost at breaking point with over 120 cases in ICU. Italy has over 4000 in a serious/critical condition.

There will be more restrictions. For how long, I don't know.

Unlikely. Things seem to be improving. I for one think we are restricted enough and will not be complying with further unnecessary restrictions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Palmach wrote: »
    Unlikely. Things seem to be improving. I for one think we are restricted enough and will not be complying with further unnecessary restrictions.

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,615 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

John Oliver is gas on this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Mortality rate in Italy is now 11.7%.

The Global CFR is 4.93% based off WorldOMeter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement