Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

cnocbui wrote: »
    I would add to that, wipe down your shopping before putting it away and then wash your hands one final time, then life as normal.

Yeah, true. Wash the hands, disinfect anything you can that has entered the house and anything you touched before getting to the sink to wash your hands, then relax and practice normal good hygiene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Saw a news clip earlier of hundreds of people being hosed down with a bleach solution, they don't stand a chance unless maybe with everything they're exposed to on a daily basis their immune systems are a bit more resilient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Yeah, true. Wash the hands, disinfect anything you can that has entered the house and anything you touched before getting to the sink to wash your hands, then relax and practice normal good hygiene.

If it helps, my neighbours are doing their grocery wash down routine outside the house. It takes one potential contamination step out of the loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

They can introduce all the restrictions they want, but there's no enforcement of existing ones and there won't be of new ones.

Our government will always go for punishing those who abide the rules over punishing those who don't.

Its always a small minority of idiots who make life difficult for everyone. Its probably the same "rebels" who flew to Italy and back, then went to Cheltenham, then headed en masse to the pubs and are now out there flouting the 2km rule. You know the kind of people who can't sit still for a minute.

This is getting really tiring. The few idiots that are making it difficult for everyone are the people who are looking out their windows waiting for someone to make a mistake so they can come on here and tell everyone about it. We're in a virtual lockdown. Worry about yourself. As a country people are doing great. We will have no further restrictions. I'd imagine in a couple of weeks they will lift some restrictions. We are not Italy or Spain we are Ireland. We live differently to those coutries. We live in semi detached and detached houses. We don't need the same restrictions as them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

There's no need for new restrictions if existing restrictions are implemented properly and those who break them are fined.

Can you fire up your qualifications to make this statement please, in your own time. Be great to see how they stack up against medical experts.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Urethral Buttercup

I use a small pliers to pick up stuff. Also have a pair of scissors to cut open packaging etc while holding it with the pliers to lessen the chance of having to handle packaging directly when trying to access whats inside.

Some of you people are absolutely mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

BloodBath wrote: »
    A pretty meaningless figure when most recoveries are not tested with no estimate of unconfirmed cases.

The actual death rate is being estimated to be between 0.6% and 0.7% at the moment putting it at 6-7 times deadlier than the flu.
    Agreed, but as good as anything else, and more consistent when used on a single countries figure over time. But testing selection criteria can vary over time as evidenced in Ireland.

There is no evidence for COVID-19 yet available, to back a generally agreed death rate which is based on the annual incidence.

Comparison of death rates to those of a virus for which widespread vaccination is available and to which various age cohorts have previous exposure generated immunities are not valid.

'... The proportion of people who have died from the disease varies strikingly from country to country. Researchers warn that there are so many uncertainties — not least over the true number of infections — that it remains almost impossible to draw firm conclusions about the death rate. '

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Steve F wrote: »
    Some are still treating it as Holidays.

More restrictions on the way.......?
    Most people doing most things most of the time has been the CMO mantra. Not seeing that holiday thing personally but anecdotes are not evidence of widespread behaviour. We should see by the end of this week just how well all of it is being observed and working for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The fact that it looks like Wimbledon will be cancelled shows the reality of the length of these shutdowns.

Wimbledon cancellation means still in lockdown in July!!!

Christ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Its always a small minority of idiots who make life difficult for everyone. Its probably the same "rebels" who flew to Italy and back, then went to Cheltenham, then headed en masse to the pubs and are now out there flouting the 2km rule. You know the kind of people who can't sit still for a minute.

That's not fair. At the time people were not as wise to the situation as they are now and there were no travel advisories in place.

It is the UK governments fault not to cancel Cheltenham.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

They can introduce all the restrictions they want, but there's no enforcement of existing ones and there won't be of new ones.

Our government will always go for punishing those who abide by the rules over punishing those who don't.

The 2km rule is stupid and I will flout it as I please.

You are 100% WRONG to think the people flouting it are the ones who took risks before, I am extremely careful and have been for a long time now. I have been social isolating since long before most people were and when people like yourself were still going around taking it easy and getting within 2 metres of people all over the place. I'm not spreading anything, try worrying about your own actions as others have said.

Mod: Banned for a day (from OP: If they post about it here, or encourage others to flout the rules, trying to appear macho, or thinking they are above the rules or simply being a smart arse, posting privileges will be removed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Practically everyone ive come across is practising social distancing i haven't seen anyone recently who isn't whether that be in the supermarket or on the street when im going for a walk, so i do believe we are on the right track, hopefully in a few weeks things will become less restrictive.

On a lighter note, id anyone else hanging for a pint:pac: jaysus when this is all over there will be the mother of all sessions :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Christ....

Not really.

I suspect 'lockdown' will lift a lot quicker, but life will not return to normal for a long time (both in the UK and Ireland)....no sports events, no concerts, no mass gatherings.

The fact that it looks like Wimbledon will be cancelled shows the reality of the length of these shutdowns.

Christ....

No it doesn't it just means that it's highly unlikely that it will be a good idea for 10's of thousands of people to be together in one area in July. It's also probably more to do with the uncertainty around it. How many people would be employed and how much planning and organising would be going on now for Wimbledon, I'm guessing a lot so it's better to pull the plug now rather than investing time and money into soemthing that has a good chance of being cancelled.

Some of you people are absolutely mental.

No choice. Currently living with my mam, who's in the group that have to be cocooned. Sister brings shopping to the house. I just can't let her have a bar of chocolate in a wrapper straight out of a shopping bag.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not really.

I suspect 'lockdown' will lift a lot quicker, but life will not return to normal for a long time (both in the UK and Ireland)....no sports events, no concerts, no mass gatherings.

The football leagues will be desperate to get started as soon as possible in autumn. They were even still talking about finishing the current season a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Downlinz

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Practically everyone ive come across is practising social distancing i haven't seen anyone recently who isn't whether that be in the supermarket or on the street when im going for a walk, so i do believe we are on the right track, hopefully in a few weeks things will become less restrictive.

There'll always be exceptions but I've seen similar and compliance almost entirely across the board. Irish people are definitely taking this very seriously and that's very encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The 2km rule is stupid and I will flout it as I please.

You are 100% WRONG to think the people flouting it are the ones who took risks before, I am extremely careful and have been for a long time now. I have been social isolating since long before most people were and when people like yourself were still going around taking it easy and getting within 2 metres of people all over the place. I'm not spreading anything, try worrying about your own actions as others have said.

On what medical or scientific basis are you flouting this rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Christ....

Not necessarily in lockdown. I reckon there will be no mass gatherings, concerts etc until the end of summer. It will be a transition period back to normalcy.

Hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Governer Coumo NY. A solid straight talker. People need to hear straight talk and not fed false hope on the scale that is coming from their President.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Italy's own "Nightingale" Hospital was built in record time in the former exhibition centre and opened today.
    Ospedale Fiera Milano

131745895-405da433-0ebc-4007-b4f4-7135e402318e.jpg

131747770-10c40192-c374-46e5-bab7-bef0f4f6166e.jpg
    095702198-212a1276-ee9e-4271-ad63-8281ea8e7870.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    This is getting really tiring. The few idiots that are making it difficult for everyone are the people who are looking out their windows waiting for someone to make a mistake so they can come on here and tell everyone about it. We're in a virtual lockdown. Worry about yourself. As a country people are doing great. We will have no further restrictions. I'd imagine in a couple of weeks they will lift some restrictions. We are not Italy or Spain we are Ireland. We live differently to those coutries. We live in semi detached and detached houses. We don't need the same restrictions as them.

I don't think you fully understand how this works.

If the child of a nursing home worker or other medical staff goes out and meets their mates, picks up covid19 and passes it on to their parents who brings it into a nursing home, we end up with a nursing home cluster.

You understand it now?

Italy and Spain tried the liberal approach at first. Fat lot of good it did them.

If even one person dies because of people not respecting the restrictions, it will have been too many.

We are in the majority doing great. But there are still people not respecting social isolation. Don't take my word for it, you only have to read back over this thread. Including an account of a woman with covid 19 posting a letter! But hey, let her off, we're not Italy, won't happen here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The football leagues will be desperate to get started as soon as possible in autumn. They were even still talking about finishing the current season a few days ago.

A lot of people will be desperate to do a lot of things!

I suspect the likes of football, rugby, gaa and horse racing might resume behind closed doors.

On what medical or scientific basis are you flouting this rule?

You can't spread or receive the virus by going on the road in a car or by walking in an area where there is nobody within 100 metres.

I don't think you fully understand how this works.

If the child of a nursing home worker or other medical staff goes out and meets their mates, picks up covid19 and passes it on to their parents who brings it into a nursing home, we end up with a nursing home cluster.

You understand it now?

Italy and Spain tried the liberal approach at first. Fat lot of good it did them.

If even one person dies because of people not respecting the restrictions, it will have been too many.

Yes but we had a liberal approach and it done us a lot of good. See our day on day increases now a fraction of what they were. We are not Italy or Spain we don't live staked on top of each other in apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Christ....

Maybe not in lockdown but just some restrictions. Large gatherings will prob be one of last restrictions to be lifted IMO. if so calling off Wimbledon now jus common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Governer Coumo NY. A solid straight talker. People need to hear straight talk and not fed false hope on the scale that is coming from their President.

You are right

• Advertisement

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Yes but we had a liberal approach and it done us a lot of good. See our day on day increases now a fraction of what they were. We are not Italy or Spain we don't live staked on top of each other in apartments.

So what are you saying?

There aren't enough people dying so let's relax what we're doing and allow the death rate to go up a bit? Stupid post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement