Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Lillyfae wrote: »
    If it’s any consolation, your children and grandchildren feel the same and are thinking of you. My boyfriends mother was on the phone a few hours begging to drop “something small” off outside and he had to get really tough with her about the reality of the situation. It was heartbreaking for all of us, but she’s taking too many risks and needed to hear it.

We miss her madly, but we also want her to be here for cuddles and chats and cups of tea when this is all over.

What do you mean to drop something small? Are you restricting drawings etc going into the house? I would have liked to do that for older relations but I’m nervous sending pages or anything the virus could live on to their house

• Registered Users Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭josip

Our hospitals are almost at breaking point with over 120 cases in ICU. Italy has over 4000 in a serious/critical condition.

There will be more restrictions. For how long, I don't know.

They are not "almost at breaking point".
    Do you even know how many ICU beds there are in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Why ? If your in your own house theres absolutely no need to be doing this.

All you need to do is wash your hands regularly especially after coming in from outside. But you dont need to wash them each time you touch something in the house, just pointless

OCD on speed

Imagine what would happen if the housemate appears out of his bedroom ....And just takes a cup out of the press .....fills the kettle ....turns the kettle on ...takes milk out of fridge ....takes teabag out of tea jar makes cup of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Palmach wrote: »
    Unlikely. Things seem to be improving. I for one think we are restricted enough and will not be complying with further unnecessary restrictions.

Well done. You know best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Inquitus wrote: »
    The Global CFR is 4.93% based off WorldOMeter

Yep and increasing, it was 3.4% back in February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Where do you live?

Where I am there's almost nobody on the streets. And we're not having a total lockdown - everyone is expected to stay inside except for essential trips, and exercise. So there will be a small number of people out, validly, at any one time.

This is the same as my area D14. Very few people out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

As I suspected, they are just kids https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/irish-doctors-return-from-australia-you-don-t-run-away-from-things-like-this-1.4213048

'Speaking about working as a doctor during the coronavirus crisis she said there was some fear. However, “it’s drummed into you in medical school, you don’t run away from things like this,” she said.'

It's a wonder no irony is found in the statement above with reference to the Australian hospitals they've abandoned.

I know I'll get heat for this but I think what they've done is unethical and is based on a misplaced sense of nationalism which has caused them to abandon their colleagues in a crisis. I'm surprised that they weren't challenged by the journalist who interviewed them.

Doctor working in Perth wrote to the Irish times stating that 60% of the medical staff on shift were Irish, he said he thought their decision was not conscionable. https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/coronavirus-a-worldwide-crisis-1.4208156)

They are choosing who to treat based on nationality.

I don't think the medical board in Australia should rehire people who abandon their post during a crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Just watching a few documentaries on how the Chinese dealt with containing virus on YouTube.

We are seriously half assing it in the west. The amount of work and volunteers the Chinese used and they went door to door calling on homes and disinfecting everywhere (and anybody that's ever been in a Chinese city knows most live in huge highrises with multiple homes per floor).

In my opinion there is no possibility of the restrictions being lifted for several months.

UK eyeing 6 months, Italy eyeing June. Most governments are simply not telling people the truth in relation to that.

This "two weeks" stuff, "Easter", "end of April" - that's all completely unrealistic.

Open up and we'll be locked down again with an explosion in cases within days.

In that way we are effectively trapped until we have a vaccine.

If you look at Italy for example and the horror they go through - it's flattening out for them but that's only because they have placed an artificial lid on it through a lockdown.

As I said before it's like a pressure cooker - remove the lid and undo everything.

We need a proven tested vaccine ultimately.

I disagree. The UK said that some kind of social distancing would be required for 6 months. Personally I think that will mean that retail reopens with distancing principles applied, cafes and restaurants reopen with rules on spacing of tables, non essential businesses reopen but working from home is still recommended for office workers, and places that promote social gatherings will remain closed (ie pubs are shut and sport is behind closed doors). Travel around the country will be relaxed so people can go to beaches and parks again. Gatherings of greater than x people will be prohibited and can be closed down by the police. And periodically we might see tightening again for periods of a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    How we wish we could see and hug our grandchildren! This is the only thing we've struggled with through the past few weeks.

Same here , I am really struggling not seeing the grandchildren . Skype and Facetime are helping us

• Advertisement

frillyleaf wrote: »
    What do you mean to drop something small? Are you restricting drawings etc going into the house? I would have liked to do that for older relations but I’m nervous sending pages or anything the virus could live on to their house

If you're worried, put them in a letter and hold off for a day before you post it without touching the envelope.
    Assuming a post box is on your exercise route.

New York's Governor Cuomo says they have seen the biggest surge in the rate of hospitalisations in the last 24 hours.

Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1244977299486883840

That's the level

It's still early he could go lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Unlikely. Things seem to be improving. I for one think we are restricted enough and will not be complying with further unnecessary restrictions.

Yeahhh...... That's not how it works.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

You're not allowed to kick old people in the back of the head when they're out shopping either. You might as well do that too, you big rebel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Cody montana

“CNN anchor @ChrisCuomo has been diagnosed with Covid-19. The network just informed staffers in New York. Chris is feeling well, and will continue anchoring from home.“

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

josip wrote: »
    They are not "almost at breaking point".
    Do you even know how many ICU beds there are in Ireland?

96% of ICU beds were filled pre virus https://www.rte.ie/amp/1114690/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

rossie1977 wrote: »

ICU beds are nearly always at capacity, the level of patient crisis dictates that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,116 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

is_that_so wrote: »
    Lockdowns in Italy and Spain are starting to get to people - that 4 week limit, which has been mentioned in our own briefings.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/tempers-fray-as-coronavirus-lockdown-fatigue-hits-italy-and-spain-1.4216812

Sure, ‘ getting to them ‘....I’d rather be bored, pissed off and isolated than struggling for breath in a hospital ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not only leisure cruises affected.
    Captain of American aircraft carrier pleads for evacuation
    The captain of the US aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt has told the Pentagon that the coronavirus is spreading uncontrollably through his ship and called for immediate help to quarantine its huge crew, two US newspapers reported today.
    Captain Brett Crozier wrote in a four-page letter that they had not been able to stem the spread of the COVID-9 virus through the 4,000 crewmembers, describing a dire situation aboard the huge vessel now docked at Guam.
    "We are not at war. Sailors do not need to die," Crozier wrote, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.
    "The spread of the disease is ongoing and accelerating," Crozier wrote, referring to the ship's "inherent limitations of space."
    He asked to be able to quarantine nearly the entire crew onshore at Guam, saying keeping them all on board the ship was an "unnecessary risk."
    The Chronicle said that more than 100 aboard the warship had been confirmed infected with Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

“CNN anchor @ChrisCuomo has been diagnosed with Covid-19. The network just informed staffers in New York. Chris is feeling well, and will continue anchoring from home.“

He is NY mayor brother

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Oh no, not Fredo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The HSE is raising ICU bed provision to between 500 and 700 by Easter weekend, mainly through the private hospital facilities freeing up space in the tertiary public hospitals

Do keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Cody montana

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    He is NY mayor brother

Yes I know.

America is in big trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Mortality rate in Italy is now 11.7%.

Even higher in reality as so many are not treated and due at home. Multiples according to Italian Doctors.

The disease is manageable in small numbers but shocking outside a certain level.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks like WrestleMania (WWE) still going ahead this weekend without crowd and some superstars, two day event, Vince never lets anything get in his way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Tell me how things are improving when deaths keep going up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Our hospitals are almost at breaking point with over 120 cases in ICU. Italy has over 4000 in a serious/critical condition.

There will be more restrictions. For how long, I don't know.

How much more restrictions can there be? Not going to the bloody shops? Because that's the only possibly reason for community transmission at the moment.

rossie1977 wrote: »

Cancelling elective procedures shortly after, has meant that a lot of those beds remained free once they were no longer occupied.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0316/1123584-hospitals-move-to-cancel-appointments-elective-surgery/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Tell me how things are improving when deaths keep going up?

They are a lagging indicator.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement