Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

bekker wrote: »
    AFAIK there isn't any available in Ireland.

Seems to be presumed that if you've tested 'Positive' and your're still alive 14 days later, you've 'Recovered'.

No tests being done on people being discharged from hospital, which I got from half-attention to questions at yesterday's briefing.

There was a figure of 5 on John Hopkins virtually from the start but where it came from don't know it hasn't increased though.

Don't understand why no testing on discharge though, see to remember something about two time spaced clear tests before discharge but that was waaay back.

No sorry not Ireland I was referring to Italy's numbers.
    Sorry should have mentioned Italy.

But yeah we should get given numbers here they're still saying they're working on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

208 new deaths recorded in New York so far today.

6 in Florida.

The USA updates its cases twice a day. Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Gynoid wrote: »
    Prior to stocking fridges and cupboards, shelves should be wiped with sanitiser and a paper towels and as coronavirus can survive on hard surfaces, the outside of all canned/hard surface pack goods should be wiped with a paper towel and warm soapy water,

An alternate option would be to leave non-perishable foods in a safe place for 72 hours. Remove outer food packaging and discard, being careful to limit handling of the inner packaging of items such as yoghurts.

The above is a quote from an Iriah Times article yesterday.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/warning-of-coronavirus-risks-over-careless-handling-of-shopping-1.4215864

Nobody wants to be running round looking like a silly goose, but simple logic would dictate that the surfaces of grocery packaging is at least somewhat of a likely vector for virus into peoples homes.
    So people are devising their own little routines, while at the same time trying not to turn into Howard Hughes.

If you read the AMA thread by the consultant he is going to fairly substantial lengths to disinfect anything that comes into his home.

The person you responded to is only trying to mind their Ma.

Yes I don’t see why people think this ‘mental’. Why would they not do this at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭jackboy

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Fergal Bowers said this morning that it's the number of hospital and ICU admissions (and deaths) that needs to be focused on (rather than the number of confirmed cases, due to issues with the tests/getting test results).

That is risky. The hospital deaths could go very low with still significant cases in the community. Ease the restrictions and we are quickly back to square one. Very hard to ease the restrictions without a robust testing system.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Valhallapt wrote: »
    507739.png

Norway vs Denmark vs Sweden

Very strong correlation between a severe lockdown in Norway, middle of the road approach in Denmark and a laisse faire approach from the Swedes

Norway's lockdown is nearly identical to ours btw ; in fact, I think ours is slightly more restrictive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Absolutely everyone I know and all around me are doing what is asked of them
    The vast majority are being reasonable

Same amount of people do nothing at all and act like it's all fun.

That's the reality.

See it every day at work. Not a bother for 9 out of 10. Nor at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's only leveling off because of the lockdown and the fact that there aren't as many potential new people to infect. It could very well end up that 70% of people end up infected.

This idea that we'll be over the worst of it in two weeks and it'll be plain sailing after that is hocus pocus nonsense.
    I think you're the only one imagining that but all going well it is not unreasonable to expect an easing of some restrictions over the next four weeks. It's going to be a fairly long unwind anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Gynoid wrote: »
    Prior to stocking fridges and cupboards, shelves should be wiped with sanitiser and a paper towels and as coronavirus can survive on hard surfaces, the outside of all canned/hard surface pack goods should be wiped with a paper towel and warm soapy water,

An alternate option would be to leave non-perishable foods in a safe place for 72 hours. Remove outer food packaging and discard, being careful to limit handling of the inner packaging of items such as yoghurts.

The above is a quote from an Iriah Times article yesterday.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/warning-of-coronavirus-risks-over-careless-handling-of-shopping-1.4215864

Nobody wants to be running round looking like a silly goose, but simple logic would dictate that the surfaces of grocery packaging is at least somewhat of a likely vector for virus into peoples homes.
    So people are devising their own little routines, while at the same time trying not to turn into Howard Hughes.

If you read the AMA thread by the consultant he is going to fairly substantial lengths to disinfect anything that comes into his home.

The person you responded to is only trying to mind their Ma.

Another perspective, truth probably in the middle.

Coronavirus Ireland: Expert on risk of catching virus while shopping in the supermarket

Kim Roberts, a lecturer at Trinity College Dublin, said that there is a risk of picking up Covid-19 at the shops but that risk is low.

Speaking to Sean O'Rourke on RTE Radio One, the assistant professor said that the biggest risk is what you are touching inside the shops.

Ms Roberts said: "The biggest risk is in the actual activity of doing your shopping, so if you are travelling on public transport it's about trying to maintain the two metre social distance from everyone else.

"If you are walking around the corner then obviously the risk is lower. When you go into the shop, when you touch the doors, freezers trolleys, those are all high touch surfaces that lot's of people would have touched so there's a risk there.

"So when I go out shopping, I assume as soon as I leave my house that my hands are dirty, so I wash my hands before I leave, so I go out the door assuming my hands are dirty and don't touch my face and touch as little surfaces as possible.

"If I assume my hands are dirty I am less likely to touch my face, my eyes, my nose and am therefore reducing my transmission risk.

"When you are in the shop the chances of a particular tin can you are picking up or a pack of cornflakes having a high enough amount of virus on them to cause a transmission is really low.

"Those individual shopping items are not seen as high risk.

"Everything we do has a risk. Somebody might have directly sneezed onto that tin can but that is unlikely to have happened."

The Trinity lecturer believes that wearing gloves do little to protect people and in some cases increase the risk of transmission.

She added: "Gloves can actually increase transmission risk. If we are touching stuff with gloves it is the exact same risk as without them on our hands.

"It gives us a false sense of security and people take higher risks."

Once you arrive home with the groceries, Ms Roberts doesn't think it's necessary to do a deep clean of items.

The Trinity lecturer said: "When you come back into the house wash you hands straight away, I would then put the shopping away immediately.

"Then I'd wash my hands again.

"I wouldn't(wash down the tins and food) because I personally believe that the chances someone sneezed or coughed on them is very low.

"But when I'm cooking I would wash my hands repeatedly.

"The virus isn't destroyed by cold temperatures, so putting it in the fridge or freezer won't kill it, but cooking will.

"The virus can theoretically survive on cardboard for up to 24 hours but that is very high dosages, normally it would be just a few hours."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

51 times a day i believe (each state updates separately then there's a national update)

The current figure on worldometers reflect 19 states.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Hippykitten

Was shopping in town earlier and noticed a big improvement in adhering to the distancing and hygiene standards. There was also more of a Garda presence around the place. Saw The Claire Byrne Show last night and the interview with the lady recovering in hospital would put the frighteners on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I had really hoped to see a big drop but that is heartbreaking.

Fcuk this virus

Is there a way to make it visible so we can kick the sh1te right out of it, smash it with things.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Strazdas wrote: »
    Norway's lockdown is nearly identical to ours btw ; in fact, I think ours is slightly more restrictive.

We have no lockdown.

Just some people working from home.

The rest walking around and driving around.

Lockdown lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Is there a way to make it visible so we can kick the sh1te right out of it, smash it with things.

Why yes, did you not see?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1244344119545208834

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

I see CNN's Chris Cuomo (and brother of the governor of New York, Andrew Cuomo) has tested positive

• Registered Users Posts: 23,615 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

jackboy wrote: »
    That is risky. The hospital deaths could go very low with still significant cases in the community. Ease the restrictions and we are quickly back to square one. Very hard to ease the restrictions without a robust testing system.

In my opinion there is no possibility of the restrictions being lifted for several months.

UK eyeing 6 months, Italy eyeing June. Most governments are simply not telling people the truth in relation to that.

This "two weeks" stuff, "Easter", "end of April" - that's all completely unrealistic.

Open up and we'll be locked down again with an explosion in cases within days.

In that way we are effectively trapped until we have a vaccine.

If you look at Italy for example and the horror they go through - it's flattening out for them but that's only because they have placed an artificial lid on it through a lockdown.

As I said before it's like a pressure cooker - remove the lid and undo everything.

We need a proven tested vaccine ultimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

wonski wrote: »
    We have no lockdown.

Lockdown lol...

What are you talking about. There is a mandatory stay at home order for everyone except for in certain circumstances. Almost every shop except for essential shops are closed. Building sites are closed. Look at any webcam of dublin city and you'll see there is nobody about. The only place you will see people are out for a walk or at a grocery store. Our rate of new daily infections have halved in the past two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

It would be great if I lived alone but I don't. My housemate came out of their bedroom and into the kitchen, emptied the dishwasher without washing their hands. They presumed they was clean coming out of their bedroom, emptied the dishwasher and touched everything. If they had the virus, they were only transferring it to everything they were taking out and putting away. I'm doing so much cleaning, before, during and after I eat. Cleaning door knobs and presses, and washing hands as well. I've been fairly OCD lately with all this.

How do you know he/she doesn’t have a secret bottle of hand sanitizer in his/her bedroom and used it before leaving there room

If you are expecting the same level of OCD from your housemate you need to sit down and tell them it’s hard for everyone and they may not be fully aware how their actions are impacting you

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

If you go to the Worldometer site and click on USA you will see which states have reported today.Some report a couple of times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

What has asking people that people should be fined got to do with being a medical expert?

Genuinely confused how you are making the link here?

Every single medical expert has said we need to respect restrictions.

Maybe there’s crossed wires.

You stated:
    There's no need for new restrictions if existing restrictions are implemented properly and those who break them are fined.

And I asked how are you qualified to say that no further restrictions are needed.

Do you have some involvement with the emergency response coordination?

If you are, or are qualified in that area, it would be great to hear more from an expert.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

51 times a day i believe (each state updates separately then there's a national update)

The current figure on worldometers reflect 19 states.

So it`s just once a day for the national figure then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Same amount of people do nothing at all and act like it's all fun.

That's the reality.

See it every day at work. Not a bother for 9 out of 10. Nor at all.

House opposite me is not bothering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

German scientists have developed a coronavirus testing method that could increase test capacity tenfold

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-03-31-20/h_c9b8259b105b4f26a4ade9fb61b954ce

German scientists have developed a method that could dramatically increase the capacity to test for coronavirus, the Science Ministry of the German State of Hessen says.

The new method allows for several samples to be evaluated at once, the Ministry wrote in a press release, adding that this will allow for an “increase in the test capacity in Germany from about 40,000 tests per day to about 200,000 to 400,000 tests per day without any loss of quality in the diagnostics.”

Normally, the various swabs taken during currents tests from the mouth and nose area and all separately evaluated. With the new method, scientists put several of the probes into a single, special solution and test them with the so-called PCR method, which directly detects the SARS-CoV-2 genome. If the total result is negative, then it is clear that the separate swabs are all negative, the press release says and adds, “if the result is positive, then all the swabs have to be evaluated separately.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If you go to the Worldometer site and click on USA you will see which states have reported today.Some report a couple of times a day.

I think New York may even update every hour, or at least several times a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Let them do the same and absolve themselves, it won't make any difference to the spread of the virus. Besides they don't know where I'm going, for all they know I'm heading off to the groceries.

I think people should concentrate on actual ways they could potentially spread or pick up the virus.

It's like the sentence in bold was written by a different person when compared to what came before it.

Honestly, I would call you selfish, but it seems you don't have the capacity to understand the implications of your behavior.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

otnomart wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your reckless flatmate.
    I raised earlier the issue that (despite Ireland having a low density) Dublin as London as a high percentage of accomodation sharing (compared to other European cities), and it is not easy at all to social distance in a house share.

I don't understand it. It's mostly cop on and I don't have a degree in microbiology. Why does it seem difficult to some people?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

We have no lockdown.

Lockdown lol...

Where do you live?

Where I am there's almost nobody on the streets. And we're not having a total lockdown - everyone is expected to stay inside except for essential trips, and exercise. So there will be a small number of people out, validly, at any one time.

spookwoman wrote: »
    House opposite me is not bothering.

100's people around me are not bothering.

I don't know where people see compliance...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭josip

The fact that it looks like Wimbledon will be cancelled shows the reality of the length of these shutdowns.

Wimbledon cancellation means still in lockdown in July!!!

Christ....

They might well be then, but Wimbledon doesn't just happen at the end of June.
    It probably takes a full 2 months to get the venue ready.
    Customers of ours who are responsible for phone signal are usually on site from 4 weeks beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I think New York may even update every hour, or at least several times a day?

I've noticed it updates a few times a day at the moment it has been a few times this hour

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement