Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

enda1 wrote: »
    Interesting difference between Scotland and Wales considering Scotland has about a 75% higher population but a similar number of casualties. For sure there are demographic, societal and density difference that will have their effect, but I just wonder also how much of an effect there has been from Scotland's quicker reaction and closure initiation of closures (schools etc.) compared to the rest of Britain.

Scotland didn’t do anything different to the rest of the UK.

South Wales has a direct fast rail link to London, so there would be a lot more people travelling to and from that area, which is probably how the virus spread so quickly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

BloodBath wrote: »
    A pretty meaningless figure when most recoveries are not tested with no estimate of unconfirmed cases.

The actual death rate is being estimated to be between 0.6% and 0.7% at the moment putting it at 6-7 times deadlier than the flu.

How do you define the "actual" death rate?

The rate of death if let go unmitigated and untreated?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shelly66

Steve F wrote: »
    Some are still treating it as Holidays.

More restrictions on the way.......?

That’s exactly what husband said , we may end up like other countries no going out for walks or excercise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So we have a three body problem.
    • paddy C
    • HSE
    • irish times

HSE say no deaths
    https://twitter.com/HSELive/status/1244942663142563841?s=20
    Irish Times have report on one last Friday.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-healthcare-worker-in-republic-dies-after-contracting-virus-1.4213892
    Paddy C (aka devil) said there were four.

1, 2 or all 3 are lying / misinformed.
    HSE wording seems suspect.
    I wouldn't think a newspaper would getting something so inflammatory wrong.

Who knows.

#notpaddy
    #comebackstronger

This lot are not a fan of the HSE or the minister so I'll believe them

https://twitter.com/INMO_IRL/status/1244946730375929856

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Unless you have a fumehood or bunsen burner, you can’t keep things aseptic. If you thoroughly clean your hands entering the house, normal house cleanliness should be just fine.

Rather than washing and rewashing your hands why not just use the Milton spray and spray the press and and other stuff and then you don't have to wash your hands as much. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Seamai wrote: »
    If a person is on medication to keep their blood pressure under control does this lower their risk?

I obviously couldn't give you a definitive answer on this as I'm not a medical professional myself. However there is an observation over on the 'ask an HSE professional' FAQ thread:
    Yes but I would expect that well-controlled high blood pressure is less risky than poorly controlled high blood pressure. With that said even with well-controlled high blood pressure I would consider myself to be in a high risk group.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112891577&postcount=25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I'm fed up trying to prepare my food in an aseptic manner. Opening fridge, wash hands, open press, wash hands, get plate and cutlery, wash hands.

You dont have to do that. Your home is fine. Just be careful with the things you are bringing in. Leave what you can outside in car, or shed, or back hall to "settle" after shopping, for a few days, wipe what you have to bring in immediately with a cloth soaked in something that sterilises. But once you are in and shoes off at front door your home is your sanctuary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

There's no need for new restrictions if existing restrictions are implemented properly and those who break them are fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Steve F wrote: »
    Bloody Marvelous

It can and will be defeated

Excellent, another 2 weeks of lockdown should really have that hopefully into manageable numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Shelly66 wrote: »
    Parents act responsibly please for sake of your kids. Just walked dog along Fairview and park full of people. Ok if doing your daily walk but there are families with kids at skateboard area bikes skateboards all playing, touching railings etc on it . Others in groups playing basketball. Can they not cop on too the new restrictions and how important it is for everyone to play their part
    Also, every flippin' kid in Dublin is on a scooter. Walking to the shop at the moment is either completely empty streets a la 28 days later, or a family of five spread out across the path, each child careening in a different direction on a scooter.

Dodging out of the way is keeping my fitness up though, so theres that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1245001271398010880

They are England's figures. It's actually 393 new deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

josip wrote: »
    I've a balaclava.
    ARU checkpoint, your COVID-19 problems cease...

EUcjKhVX0AEgyBh?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shelly66

Hrududu wrote: »
    Also, every flippin' kid in Dublin is on a scooter. Walking to the shop at the moment is either completely empty streets a la 28 days later, or a family of five spread out across the path, each child careening in a different direction on a scooter.

Dodging out of the way is keeping my fitness up though, so theres that.

Was saying to neighbor today we should be walking different sides of road similar to way traffic flows ie keep to left path this avoids having to move onto road to avoid someone least ppl heading same direction. Same rule applies on a one way street . I think it would help if they brought in a rule of guidance like that

auspicious wrote: »
    There is scientific data out there that suggests some diets available to us are better at reducing blood pressure and diabetes and heart disease risk than others.

Plus exercise, which unfortunately is curtailed at the moment if you want to do it outside, and may become impossible if restrictions are tightened further.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

It is only gonna get worst...risk of suicide rising amid global Covid-19 lockdown

https://www.nst.com.my/world/world/2020/03/578972/risk-suicide-rising-amid-global-covid-19-lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    It is only gonna get worst...risk of suicide rising amid global Covid-19 lockdown

https://www.nst.com.my/world/world/2020/03/578972/risk-suicide-rising-amid-global-covid-19-lockdown

with somewhere like the US road fatalities will be down etc. and shootings .

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,693 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

RugbyLad11 wrote: »

Madly enough in the past during times of war , famine, outbreaks, suicide has dropped ,
    A lot of issues that lead to thinking of suicide are immaterial or the worry about judgement by others is society for your self perceived failings ,Could be failing yourself or family or whatever ,But in time of real struggle the immaterial becomes a less of a worry and no one has time to judge others because everyone is in the same boat of just trying to survive .

Now it could be different in these times, due to social media and the likes still being available, but generally suicide rates drop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Aegir wrote: »
    Scotland didn’t do anything different to the rest of the UK.

South Wales has a direct fast rail link to London, so there would be a lot more people travelling to and from that area, which is probably how the virus spread so quickly there.

Also, Wales apparently has a significantly older population than either Scotland or England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

How far is the UK estimated to be from the likely peak? Same as us or earlier?

They reckon the week after Easter I think, W/C 13th April so about two weeks, but probably another two weeks beyond that before things start improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,894 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'm fed up trying to prepare my food in an aseptic manner. Opening fridge, wash hands, open press, wash hands, get plate and cutlery, wash hands.

But if no one else in house, or no one else other than who is there already then you would not need to. They're your germs, enjoy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Way too much talk here about a randomer Paddy Cosgrave on twitter.

Most of the country don't know who he is or give fcuks about a lad that looks like Brendan O'Connor dressed up like Fr. Brian singing Who's in the House from 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Plus exercise, which unfortunately is curtailed at the moment if you want to do it outside, and may become impossible if restrictions are tightened further.

That's it. Exercise can be limited for many so diet is really something to concentrate on. Sort out your salt and sugar intake, high cholesterol foods intake etc before Autumn if this graph ( posted by DeVore ) remains accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Why ? If your in your own house theres absolutely no need to be doing this.

All you need to do is wash your hands regularly especially after coming in from outside. But you dont need to wash them each time you touch something in the house, just pointless

Gynoid wrote: »
    You dont have to do that. Your home is fine. Just be careful with the things you are bringing in. Leave what you can outside in car, or shed, or back hall to "settle" after shopping, for a few days, wipe what you have to bring in immediately with a cloth soaked in something that sterilises. But once you are in and shoes off at front door your home is your sanctuary.

I use a small pliers to pick up stuff. Also have a pair of scissors to cut open packaging etc while holding it with the pliers to lessen the chance of having to handle packaging directly when trying to access whats inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Why ? If your in your own house theres absolutely no need to be doing this.

All you need to do is wash your hands regularly especially after coming in from outside. But you dont need to wash them each time you touch something in the house, just pointless

Think it was in Irish independent or something to do this if shopping was contaminated as protection

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Shelly66 wrote: »
    That’s exactly what husband said , we may end up like other countries no going out for walks or excercise

They can introduce all the restrictions they want, but there's no enforcement of existing ones and there won't be of new ones.

Our government will always go for punishing those who abide by the rules over punishing those who don't.

Its always a small minority of idiots who make life difficult for everyone. Its probably the same "rebels" who flew to Italy and back, then went to Cheltenham, then headed en masse to the pubs and are now out there flouting the 2km rule. You know the kind of people who can't sit still for a minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭weisses

I use a small pliers to pick up stuff. Also have a pair of scissors to cut open packaging etc while holding it with the pliers to lessen the chance of having to handle packaging directly when trying to access whats inside.

you will do miracles with a pack of condoms

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement