Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Governer Coumo NY. A solid straight talker. People need to hear straight talk and not fed false hope on the scale that is coming from their President.

You are right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Can you fire up your qualifications to make this statement please, in your own time. Be great to see how they stack up against medical experts.

Thanks.

What has asking people that people should be fined got to do with being a medical expert?

Genuinely confused how you are making the link here?

Every single medical expert has said we need to respect restrictions.

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Yes but we had a liberal approach and it done us a lot of good. See our day on day increases now a fraction of what they were. We are not Italy or Spain we don't live staked on top of each other in apartments.

Half of Dublin city is like that.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Its really scary if 133 ICU patients mean we are under severe pressure...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Governer Coumo NY. A solid straight talker. People need to hear straight talk and not fed false hope on the scale that is coming from their President.

Really like him! Was watching him last night and the way he was speaking about a war and everyone rallying together and the fact he sounds like Al Pacino totally reminded me of Pacinos speech from Any Given Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Some of you people are absolutely mental.

Prior to stocking fridges and cupboards, shelves should be wiped with sanitiser and a paper towels and as coronavirus can survive on hard surfaces, the outside of all canned/hard surface pack goods should be wiped with a paper towel and warm soapy water,

An alternate option would be to leave non-perishable foods in a safe place for 72 hours. Remove outer food packaging and discard, being careful to limit handling of the inner packaging of items such as yoghurts.

The above is a quote from an Iriah Times article yesterday.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/warning-of-coronavirus-risks-over-careless-handling-of-shopping-1.4215864

Nobody wants to be running round looking like a silly goose, but simple logic would dictate that the surfaces of grocery packaging is at least somewhat of a likely vector for virus into peoples homes.
    So people are devising their own little routines, while at the same time trying not to turn into Howard Hughes.

If you read the AMA thread by the consultant he is going to fairly substantial lengths to disinfect anything that comes into his home.

The person you responded to is only trying to mind their Ma.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A very good initiative.
    A new hardship fund to help older people in financial difficulty as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic will be available from tomorrow.

Once off grants of up to a maximum of €500 per household can be given through the fund.

People can apply by contacting either Age Action or the Red Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

What has asking people that people should be fined got to do with being a medical expert?

Genuinely confused how you are making the link here?

Every single medical expert has said we need to respect restrictions.

It has nothing to do with being a medical expert, it's a legal matter, so why are you bringing that up?

Your medical statement in the same post was that "There are no need for new restrictions", why would you think he was talking about the other statement you made?

Can you now state the medical grounds on which you base your claim that there will be no need for new restrictions if people stick to the ones that are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

shocksy wrote: »

I had really hoped to see a big drop but that is heartbreaking.

Fcuk this virus

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

You can't spread or receive the virus by going on the road in a car or by walking in an area where there is nobody within 100 metres.

Yeah this is true. I live in the country and my neighbour goes for an 11 mile cycle loop on very quiet country roads.
    I think he repeats the loop to get in some mileage. I have zero problem with it. Why?
    1. It's none of my business
    2. It doesn't risk himself or anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

antodeco wrote: »

26 are suspected which would indicate they are new and still waiting on results. I would take it that they would be put to the front of the queue for getting results.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,693 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Practically everyone ive come across is practising social distancing i haven't seen anyone recently who isn't whether that be in the supermarket or on the street when im going for a walk, so i do believe we are on the right track, hopefully in a few weeks things will become less restrictive.

On a lighter note, id anyone else hanging for a pint:pac: jaysus when this is all over there will be the mother of all sessions :)

I cant wait to just give the aul pair a hug and sit down for a natter with a cup of coffee and scone with them ,Honestly it'll bring tears to see them get to hug there grand kids again ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Nollog

That's the fellow who begged the fed for ventilators, which later came out he had thousands in storage just wanted more, right?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just listening to Drivetime on RTE radio. Seems to be pretty serious issues with testing in this country with test centres closing due to faulty test kits/lack of test kits and then big backlog in analysing the tests that are actually carried out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

antodeco wrote: »

It's kind of obvious though. We have our normal throughout in intensive care.

Heart attacks whatever. We don't usually have a bunch of intensive care beds vacant. If roughly 250 is our normal icu capacity and 170 is the private capacity we took over and we created something like 100 extra beds we have a total of 520 of which 420 would be normally occupied without a crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I cant wait to just give the aul pair a hug and sit down for a natter with a cup of coffee and scone with them ,Honestly it'll bring tears to see them get to hug there grand kids again ,

I just Housepartied with my mother there. It was great to see her face.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

BanditLuke wrote: »

Fcuk this virus
    More or less the same as yesterday, which is very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

The president of the Intensive Care Society of Ireland has said 107 patients with Covid-19 are on ventilators and another 26 suspected cases are also being treated in intensive care.

I guess it is current numbers so ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭Christy42

Fcuk this virus

Cases are a decent but below their peak at least. Not good news on the deaths but that figure probably trails the changes in the cases by a week or two?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

spookwoman wrote: »

How did this happen? We were at 88 ICU the other day - was it yesterday. Now we have the figure of 133 ICU beds taken. We don't have a lot of ICU beds at all in the country. How many ICU beds do we have? Is it about 250? This is dreadful and it's what many of us here on boards were dreading.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Trump has been and still is either delusional or lying maybe both. Shocking that his ratings by the USA population have been rising since this crisis really hit hard there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

DOCARCH wrote: »
    A lot of people will be desperate to do a lot of things!

I suspect the likes of football, rugby, gaa and horse racing might resume behind closed doors.

I think some kind of sport needs to resume in the next few months. Sports are important to a great deal of people and I hate the sanctimony wheeled out by some whenever it’s mentioned. Nobody wants anyone to put in danger but there’s nothing wrong with trying to look at ways to get some sport going again. My own personal jam is the Olympics and as I’m terminally ill, I’m devastated that it’s been postponed for a year. I don’t know if I’ll be around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

So what are you saying?

There aren't enough people dying so let's relax what we're doing and allow the death rate to go up a bit? Stupid post.

No I'm saying this virus hit us and we put restrictions in place to help slow the spread. Those restrictions worked as we can see that from the numbers today. It's impossible to make the number of cases zero although people like you seem to think so.
    Even the government's strategy is that they know they can't stop it so the want to slow how quickly people get tbe virus. The death rate of the virus is the death rate so people are going to die from it but with the current strategy it will be spread out. That's what flattening the curve means. We can't really change the death rate except for maybe people that could die from having no access to a ventialtor.

So we are doing a good job at what we set out to do. Slow the spread of the virus so the health service can cope. We can't stop the virus nor unfortunatly can we stop people from dying from it. It's here we can just slow it. For now we are doing a good job at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Half of Dublin city is like that.

I live an apartment close to the city centre. Not cheap, as is anywhere in Dublin.

Noticed loads of people moving in the last 10 days into and out of the apartment block. The place has gone noisier. Seems people are moving in and bunking up with loads of their friends having lost jobs with the rug pulled from underneath them relatively quickly. Most are non national.

As I look around the courtyard I can see many people sitting on window sills. The likes of this place would be rampant for spread.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Fcuk this virus

Cases is the key number right now, in flattening the curve, deaths will always lag cases going down. Deaths are heavily influenced by people who got the virus in the previous days/weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    More or less the same as yesterday, which is very positive.

What is today's recovered figure?

It has nothing to do with being a medical expert, it's a legal matter, so why are you bringing that up?

Your medical statement in the same post was that "There are no need for new restrictions", why would you think he was talking about the other statement you made?

Can you now state the medical grounds on which you base your claim that there will be no need for new restrictions if people stick to the ones that are there?

You need to address that to Dougal, who said it was based on medical expertise.

re new restrictions, a previous poster said more restrictions are coming because some people aren't respecting the current ones. People out and about like its a holiday and then said we'll all end up locked in our homes.

I think you need to follow the thread more closely instead of jumping in at the end of a discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

There's no need for new restrictions if existing restrictions are implemented properly and those who break them are fined.

I’m busy at home so just jumped in here now to catch up are we having new restrictions anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Christy42 wrote: »
    Cases are a decent but below their peak at least. Not good news on the deaths but that figure probably trails the changes in the cases by a week or two?

Have you got details on testing? Yesterday there was something like 23k tests and they were previously testing 35k.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement