Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

amacca wrote: »
    Dont know about that, perhaps, then again perhaps not...my OH is one, she has been on a laptop most of the day setting up groups etc....at least some of her students cant be out "roaming" Id imagine if shes interacting with them....your statement seems as anecdotal as mine tbh....whats definitely true is there was over a thousand potential student vectors and close to 80 potential staff vectors + whatever deivery guys, catering all packed into the same old cramped space where social distancing is almost impossible to practice up to yesterday

It still seems better to me to call it off to delay the peak of this thing given our lack of ICU beds etc

It wouldn't just be old people (not that I personally find that acceptable at all being quite attached to my parents like) but people with conditions like cystic fibrosis / those that need oxygen and those young people with compromised immune systems not to mention young outliers that succumb......without delaying the peak so the number of critical patients doesnt overwhelm the system you are looking at a much higher death rate....you do realise that right

Thats pretty bad all right....I would argue it could be much much worse if serious restrictions are not imposed.....I could see serious social unrest etc ...guess we will know in the coming months if the UK persists with their course of action....Maybe I'm wrong but I hope they dont drag us down with them.

Thats not really that old anymore imo......I'm not too far off it myself so perhaps my perspective is different, maybe yours will be too ..... if you are lucky enough to be young

So tough tits if you are not in the "most" group ..... its just survival of the fittest, your govt could have done something to give you a fighting chance but natural selection is a bitch and on top of that other people had to die too .... the economy takes precedence...............i dunno I think the economy would get an even worse hammering with your strategy.....we manage this thing it could be a slightly less cataclysmic event and maybe even increase social cohesion.....we let it run, you could be looking at serious problems and not just for the economy ...again if the UK continues, time will tell.....I suspect they wont however Boris cummings and cronies might actually end up having skin in the game (not a metaphor) if they persist.

I dont know how feasible that is starting from scratch with no warning.....I could forsee a lot of potential problems

given the housing situation, many of these may have live at home children.....so they are to become prisoners in their own home (the one they paid the mortgage on etc) while the virus is let make its way through the population making them solely dependant on their offspring (now potentially deadly to them in all likelihood) for food

Most of them vote, have resources, have contributed to society etc ...I think they might kickback...I think the younger generation if they had any sense would too as its a surprisingly short time until they become them

dont forget a lot of the decision makers arent to far off the 68 mark either.....I dont think they would like to set a dangerous precedent like that or cut a stick for themselves

Its a case of we all stand together or as many as possible do or we all fall imo

If you read my earlier posts I’ve had quiet a few drinks but the obviously makes 2 of us.
    You have taken my recommendations as a personal attack and I haven’t in any way meant to cause you offense.
    I’m going to try to respond as best I can.
    Your 1st paragraph references students, the lowest risk group of all as regards health risk. I have 2 close family members teachers so I know how busy they are all the time.

You have then referenced delaying this thing to preserve ICU beds, which if the most vulnerable isolated like I said would not be required.

You then referenced vulnerable people also being at risk, like I referred to in my post??? I don’t know why I’m bothering

No idea what the next rambling is about

You then say 68 isn’t that old anymore, it’s not, and I never said it was, it is however more at risk from the virus, you need to be offended at the virus here

Reading the rest you have missed my point

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭threeball

Nermal wrote: »
    That’s the opposite of what they’re doing. They want low risk groups infected, so that high risk groups won’t be.

They still want the curve flattened, they don’t want indiscriminate infection. But low risk groups need to get it, and need to get it as quickly as the NHS capacity allows.

And how exactly do all these youngsters get it whilst the older folks get a free pass. The population is oblivious and are mingling like any normal day. They are willfully letting it run its course through the population in the hope they can return to normal working service sooner than others despite the human cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

wakka12 wrote: »
    Whered ya get those numbers?
    As far as I'm aware there were just under 11,000 new cases today, and that is by far and away the largest daily total worldwide since the epidemic began
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Johns Hopkins, more accurate and updated more regularly.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

put my head down for a few and its page 63

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

She passed away 3 days ago although his post is very unclear!

What a weird tribute. Talking about hygienic he is and then btw my auntie died

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Jake1 wrote: »
    Quite a few brothels in Dublin, wonder is business down?

Up and down, up and down, up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭amacca

That’s the opposite of what they’re doing. They want low risk groups infected, so that high risk groups won’t be.

They still want the curve flattened, they don’t want indiscriminate infection. But low risk groups need to get it, and need to get it as quickly as the NHS capacity allows.

they dont want indiscriminate infection eh?

Their nuanced strategy will no doubt achieve that.....................

I really hope it doesn't backfire spectacularly for the sake of peoples lives

If it does I hope they are tried and convicted as sociopathic criminals

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭bb12

Does a government not have an obligation to look after every citizen?

Letting the over 50s die...

as a middle aged worker on a high salary, i pay a LOT of tax. as do most middle aged workers; companies have for the most part shoved down salaries for the younger generation for years...

so as a high tax payer, i would not be a happy camper if the government basically allowed my relatives to just die like that...i'd probably become a more disobedient citizen

i think the uk going down this road would lead to some type of anarchy...they dont seem to have factored in people's emotions at all while concentrating on the economy alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Nermal

Just a wild guess, but I'm thinking you're under 50.

You realise this strategy has a good chance of leading to a higher death rate for those under 50 than Ireland’s, right? And that despite being under 50, I still think it’s a better plan than ours?

Beasty wrote: »
    One of the issues is economic collapse could itself result in a significant collapse in healthcare. Make no mistake, what is being spent now will be paid for in the future, perhaps by higher taxes for our children, or limitations to healthcare provision

I am not suggesting what is happening now should not be, but there remains a fine balance. The Government and others tasked with overseeing this are not in a position to throw "everything possible" at this without a significant cost, possibly still being paid for by future generations

Yes.
    I was accused by many posters in earlier threads of having an agenda of economy over healthcare when I suggested the economy could not simply be overlooked.
    As you said, reality is, my grandkids will pay for this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

“Well son, I was on boards.ie posting memes and gifs”

Better than being a bollix in the pub bringing a deadly virus back to their family as many people will tonight.

The reality is that some of those people and their family will die and some of the people they all pass it on to will die. Sorry to bring reality but that's what will happen in the next few weeks because people went to the pub tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You realise this strategy has a good chance of leading to a higher death rate for those under 50 than Ireland’s, right? And that despite being under 50, I still think it’s a better plan than ours?

And this is good?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

flynnlives wrote: »
    My main concern is the UK.

If they insist on this path of accepting and ploughing on, it could have disasterous consequences for us. I think it might be prudent in a number of weeks to halt flights from the UK or introduce some restrictions.

I think it might be prudent to begin halting flights across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

flynnlives wrote: »
    My main concern is the UK.

If they insist on this path of accepting and ploughing on, it could have disasterous consequences for us. I think it might be prudent in a number of weeks to halt flights from the UK or introduce some restrictions.

Travel bans to the U.K. will come into effect soon if they continue this social experiment. They’ll be cut off by the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

GM228 wrote: »
    Johns Hopkins, more accurate and updated more regularly.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

No it's not. Australia has 199 cases not 1.

When our grandkids look back and ask "Where were you when the country was on a knife edge and our existence as a society was on the line"

Will the pub goers lie, ashamed that they contributed to the spread of a virus that kills tens of thousands and disables many more that will die a horrible death later in life

I’m picturing Micheal Collins roaring out this rambling, rising his posse from that cart wherever it was

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

The 100 limit is nonsense imo. My gym is huge and might have 25 to 35 people at busy times. Once your sanatising as you go your pretty safe.
    The local pub is pretty small so even 60 people would be in each other's skin they are so close.

Where gyms told they had to close or is it their own choice? I'm not clear on that myself.

Their choice, mine is “monitoring the situation” for now.

amacca wrote: »
    they dont want indiscriminate infection eh?

Their nuanced strategy will no doubt achieve that.....................

I really hope it doesn't backfire spectacularly for the sake of peoples lives

If it does I hope they are tried and convicted as sociopathic criminals

They could do with having a look at how they fcuked up the last time. History has a habit of repeating itself

https://www.historyextra.com/period/first-world-war/spanish-flu-britain-how-many-died-quarantine-corona-virus-deaths-pandemic/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I think it might be prudent to begin halting flights across the board.

WHO said today at their press conference that this wasn't necessary anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭amacca

ITman88 wrote: »
    If you read my earlier posts I’ve had quiet a few drinks but the obviously makes 2 of us.
    You have taken my recommendations as a personal attack and I haven’t in any way meant to cause you offense.
    I’m going to try to respond as best I can.
    Your 1st paragraph references students, the lowest risk group of all as regards health risk. I have 2 close family members teachers so I know how busy they are all the time.

You have then referenced delaying this thing to preserve ICU beds, which if the most vulnerable isolated like I said would not be required.

You then referenced vulnerable people also being at risk, like I referred to in my post??? I don’t know why I’m bothering

No idea what the next rambling is about

You then say 68 isn’t that old anymore, it’s not, and I never said it was, it is however more at risk from the virus, you need to be offended at the virus here

Reading the rest you have missed my point

Oh I have not missed your point at all, it was quite clear. Try re-reading the post without the drink in you.

I'm also not personally offended, its you that has missed the point imo. I wont attempt to put as much effort into responding the next time.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Nermal

And this is good?

It may lead to fewer deaths and less economic damage in the long run. Nobody knows. But it’s not a crazy strategy and it’s backed by senior scientists. Boris didn’t dream it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

CMG “I believe we have this virus contained, and through this containment we actually may have gone and contained them all”

Sorry now but what is he actually on about. It’s like something George Bush would come out with when he thought he was being really philosophical

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Travel bans to the U.K. will come into effect soon if they continue this social experiment. They’ll be cut off by the rest of the world.

Biggest fear we’ll have to deal with if we manage to flatten the curve here are desperately sick people from the uk flying over here in the hope of treatment. Borris plan is morally bankrupt and I see civilisation breaking down in the uk when this kicks off.

ITman88 wrote: »
    I’m picturing Micheal Collins roaring out this rambling, rising his posse from that cart wherever it was

Off you go to Northern Italy and see what it's like. No flights so will get you a ferry, trains etc. One way of course, seeing as you think it's no big deal you probably be be happy to stay there. Can let us know what a paradise we have in store in 2/3 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It may lead to fewer deaths and less economic damage in the long run. Nobody knows. But it’s not a crazy strategy and it’s backed by senior scientists. Boris didn’t dream it up.

How many other Western European countries are adopting this strategy?

In 1918 they decided to not take action either. 228,000 people died most of whom could have been saved it action. Most in their 20s. I bet if that was the version we had now you'd have a different view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Ireland is practically doing the same as the U.K. People are still at work. Absolutely loads filling pubs apparently. Don't know why Ireland gets a gold star from you for doing one small thing and U.K. doesn't because it's a 'social experiment' and not a plan with clear timings and implementation. Also the WHO said today that closing boarders wasn't necessary now.

Melodramatic much? I would say I didn't live through World War 2!

Good night folks. Tomorrow is another day.

Night, sadly reality will hit home soon.

CMG “I believe we have this virus contained, and through this containment we actually may have gone and contained them all”

Sorry now but what is he actually on about. It’s like something George Bush would come out with when he thought he was being really philosophical

Conors not too bright. Hes going to beat the virus to death when it lands on his doorstep. It'll do fcukin nuttin

• Advertisement

Off you go to Northern Italy and see what it's like. No flights so will get you a ferry, trains etc. One way of course, seeing as you think it's no big deal you probably be be happy to stay there. Can let us know what a paradise we have in store in 2/3 weeks :)

Micheal where’s you spirit gone, we can beat this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement