Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

It's nuts, bordering on a criminal negligence if you ask me.

The people seem to be following the it will be grand attitude.

Unbelievable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

ITman88 wrote: »
    Ok . . . . So at present we have schools closed with huge issues as regards roaming kids and teachers.
    People are working from home where possible.
    Gyms and swimming pools are closed.
    Hotel industry is doomed.
    Economy will be years in recovery due to panic, travel restrictions.
    The 68+ age group make up 98% of deaths in Italy.
    MOST of the younger people are not in danger of serious Ill effects.
    We have a minority group in most danger 68+
    They can be isolated to protect the health, how, perhaps isolate at home with no interaction only health personnel when required.
    Actions like these would protect the economy which I’m afraid is critically important to the health of the minority in the 1st place.
    I’m not trying to be controversial here

If you havent noticed this thread is made up of what you refer to as the minority no one is going to agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Nermal

What about Italy and China?

As soon as they loosen the shutdown, infections and deaths will just go back up. Herd immunity is the only way out. The tighter the shutdown, the harder it is to develop, and the more disastrous the economic consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Current view on transmission types - 7/49/34

This is likely to change drastically and community blows up

bwxAsUq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭threeball

I'd say we'll look back in 12 months and wish we'd followed the UK approach.

We've never produced the same caliber of politician as a country. We're stuck with lads that follow the social media winds. Afraid to make the tough but right decisions.

The UK are going against the WHO recommendations and against the collective wisdom of almost every other country.
    And to say our politicians aren't of a higher caliber than Boris, Rees Mogg and the rest is a bit of a stretch too. They'd give Danny Healy Rae a run for his money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Jake1 wrote: »
    Quite a few brothels in Dublin, wonder is business down?

My cousin's mam's aunt's best friend just walked passed all of them. They're jammers. I'm raging so I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Indestructable

I am watching Sky News for the first time in a while and they are showing a piece about Italy in its harrowing state, not cognizant of the fact that that is their fate in 2 weeks time, almost guaranteed.

It's like they're saying it's a "Europe" issue, not realising the fact that they are still ****ing in Europe.

Nermal wrote: »
    As soon as they loosen the shutdown, infections and deaths will just go back up. Herd immunity is the only way out. The tighter the shutdown, the harder it is to develop, and the more disastrous the economic consequences.

What about hospitals?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭All in all

Quite a few brothels in Dublin, wonder is business down?

More up than down.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

wakka12 wrote: »
    2.5% of all deaths in the European Union today were from coronavirus

But the important stat is how much higher than average was today’s European death stat.
    How many Europeans died last year on March 13th

• Advertisement

I am watching Sky News for the first time in a while and they are showing a piece about Italy in its harrowing state, not cognisant of the fact that that is their fate in 2 weeks time, almost guaranteed.

It's like they're saying it's a "Europe" issue, not realising the fact that they are still ****ing in Europe.
    They are so relaxed about it.

I can't get my head around this herd theory.

My cousin's mam's aunt's best friend just walked passed all of them. They're jammers. I'm raging so I am.

thought i saw him alright..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

The people seem to be following the it will be grand attitude.

Unbelievable.

Would be great if only the selfish thick ***** jammed in pubs would get it sadly they will kill innocent people by spreading it to the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

An Ri rua wrote: »
    100%. There's so much control of the message by the authorities. The reality is that this virus has killed younger people, has killed healthy people (virus overload) and up to 16% of cases can suffer lifelong damage. 1 in 6.

Do you have any evidence that it is killing young healthy people other than some anecdotes?
    Seeing as this virus is about 10 weeks old and it takes several weeks to recover, how could you possibly say with any certainty whether somebody has life long damage after

Downlinz wrote: »
    The solution to the virus problem has already been demonstrated in China, the right decision is already known. No tough decisions necessary, just follow the blueprint without trying to save a few quid along the way.

No it’s been demonstrated in Singapore, they are very similar to Ireland.
    China is nothing like Ireland

Yes it goes up but the health service gets a chance to cope. The NHS can't cope with the pace in the UK and Boris has already accepted the collateral damage which is cold comfort to the elderly or ill in the UK.

They are so relaxed about it.

I can't get my head around this herd theory.

there is something very unsettling about those word's.. Herd...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

All in all wrote: »
    More up than down.

Depends on how much drink was takin :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

So this evening i spoke with sources and saw some of the memos sent out in a major hosptial in the west.

It took a little time to take it all in. Its quite surreal to accept what is coming.
    However im optimistic.

The following is what i deceminated:

-There is now no distinction between consultant, medic and surgeon. They are all one army preparing the frontline

- all non elective ops are canceled

-cancer patients and other critically ill to be only priority

- testing is being set up in this hospital and i assume in other large regional area

-massive effort now underway to clear out bed blockers as fast as possible

-sites are being investigated to be used as treatment. There will be big movement on these sites next week.

All evening i kept coming back to this phrase and feeling.
    "There is a war coming." Its going to come quickly and quietly.

-In the next 2 weeks there is going to be a rapid increase in cases.

-testing is going to increase massively.

- there will be more restrictions on public gatherings but im not aware of what they are. I suspect pubs etc to close.

I beleive that the school/uni shutdowns this week will help us in about 2 weeks time to flatten the curve.

Lads, There is an army mobilising quietly. It is thousands of people strong. They are determined to face this monumental challenge. However, The public need to play there part. I urge all of you to to tell elderly and weaker to reduce their movements. Do not let kids mix with other kids in large groups. Be sensible and use common sense.

Social distancing and sequestering yourselves works. Please reduce your movements and interactions over the next 2 weeks at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Klonker wrote: »
    How do you pass it on if not through coughing and sneezing?
    Expiration while asymptomatic - duh.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

School is a massive distraction in 6th year. Use the time wisely. Study. Study like your life depended on it. Forget the virus, stay off this website and square up to the challenge.

Self isolate with the books.

thankfully im in 5th, sorry should've clarified. but yeah its still annoying since ofc, 60% of LC stuff is learnt in this time,

there is something very unsettling about those word's.. Herd...:(

That is the road they are taken.

Let 60% get infected.

Basically to hell with many people.

Madness

niallo27 wrote: »
    How could you possibly know this already. Spreading this hore**** is not healthy.

This thread is full of that utter scutter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Tbh, I'd prefer disastrous economic consequences over healthcare collapse and thousands of premature deaths. No doubt such a situation would be a huge shock to the country and would lead to much anger and prolly just as much disastrous economic consequences.

I am watching Sky News for the first time in a while and they are showing a piece about Italy in its harrowing state, not cognizant of the fact that that is their fate in 2 weeks time, almost guaranteed.

The virus don't got a blue passport tho, innit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭amacca

Ok . . . . So at present we have schools closed with huge issues as regards roaming kids and teachers.

Dont know about that, perhaps, then again perhaps not...my OH is one, she has been on a laptop most of the day setting up groups etc....at least some of her students cant be out "roaming" Id imagine if shes interacting with them....your statement seems as anecdotal as mine tbh....whats definitely true is there was over a thousand potential student vectors and close to 80 potential staff vectors + whatever deivery guys, catering all packed into the same old cramped space where social distancing is almost impossible to practice up to yesterday

It still seems better to me to call it off to delay the peak of this thing given our lack of ICU beds etc

It wouldn't just be old people (not that I personally find that acceptable at all being quite attached to my parents like) but people with conditions like cystic fibrosis / those that need oxygen and those young people with compromised immune systems not to mention young outliers that succumb......without delaying the peak so the number of critical patients doesnt overwhelm the system you are looking at a much higher death rate....you do realise that right

People are working from home where possible.
    Gyms and swimming pools are closed.
    Hotel industry is doomed.
    Economy will be years in recovery due to panic, travel restrictions.

Thats pretty bad all right....I would argue it could be much much worse if serious restrictions are not imposed.....I could see serious social unrest etc ...guess we will know in the coming months if the UK persists with their course of action....Maybe I'm wrong but I hope they dont drag us down with them.

The 68+ age group make up 98% of deaths in Italy.

Thats not really that old anymore imo......I'm not too far off it myself so perhaps my perspective is different, maybe yours will be too ..... if you are lucky enough to be young
    MOST of the younger people are not in danger of serious Ill effects.

So tough tits if you are not in the "most" group ..... its just survival of the fittest, your govt could have done something to give you a fighting chance but natural selection is a bitch and on top of that other people had to die too .... the economy takes precedence...............i dunno I think the economy would get an even worse hammering with your strategy.....we manage this thing it could be a slightly less cataclysmic event and maybe even increase social cohesion.....we let it run, you could be looking at serious problems and not just for the economy ...again if the UK continues, time will tell.....I suspect they wont however Boris cummings and cronies might actually end up having skin in the game (not a metaphor) if they persist.

We have a minority group in most danger 68+
    They can be isolated to protect the health, how, perhaps isolate at home with no interaction only health personnel when required.

I dont know how feasible that is starting from scratch with no warning.....I could forsee a lot of potential problems

given the housing situation, many of these may have live at home children.....so they are to become prisoners in their own home (the one they paid the mortgage on etc) while the virus is let make its way through the population making them solely dependant on their offspring (now potentially deadly to them in all likelihood) for food

Most of them vote, have resources, have contributed to society etc ...I think they might kickback...I think the younger generation if they had any sense would too as its a surprisingly short time until they become them

dont forget a lot of the decision makers arent to far off the 68 mark either.....I dont think they would like to set a dangerous precedent like that or cut a stick for themselves

Its a case of we all stand together or as many as possible do or we all fall imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I believe the strategy is to get 60%? of people infected and (hopefully) recovered. Then we have herd immunity.

However, it has to be done in a controlled way, hence the gradual closing of schools etc. Do it too quickly and panic sets in. Do it too slowly and in the infection rate increases too quickly.

With this in mind, I wonder if a 'controlled infection' strategy would work? Deliberately infect the healthiest and let them recover. Then let the 60% for herd immunity be the healthiest ones? - saving the elderly?

The U.K. appears to be going for the rapid infection rate approach, hence not closing schools or shutting down society. According to Channel 4 tonight, this approach could lead to 220,000 deaths as the systems become quickly overwhelmed. But that’s what they’re doing, sacrifice a percentage of the population to get to herd immunity faster.

flynnlives wrote: »
    So this evening i spoke with sources and saw some of the memos sent out in a major hosptial in the west.

It took a little time to take it all in. Its quite surreal to accept what is coming.
    However im optimistic.

The following is what i deceminated:

-There is now no distinction between consultant, medic and surgeon. They are all one army preparing the frontline

- all non elective ops are canceled

-cancer patients and other critically ill to be only priority

- testing is being set up in this hospital and i assume in other large regional area

-massive effort now underway to clear out bed blockers as fast as possible

-sites are being investigated to be used as treatment. There will be big movement on these sites next week.

All evening i kept coming back to this phrase and feeling.
    "There is a war coming." Its going to come quickly and quietly.

-In the next 2 weeks there is going to be a rapid increase in cases.

-testing is going to increase massively.

- there will be more restrictions on public gatherings but im not aware of what they are. I suspect pubs etc to close.

I beleive that the school/uni shutdowns this week will help us in about 2 weeks time to flatten the curve.

Lads, There is an army mobilising quietly. It is thousands of people strong. They are determined to face this monumental challenge. However, The public need to play there part. I urge all of you to to tell elderly and weaker to reduce their movements. Do not let kids mix with other kids in large groups. Be sensible and use common sense.

Social distancing and sequestering yourselves works. Please reduce your movements and interactions over the next 2 weeks at least.

Have you quoted your own thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Yesterday (the 13th March) saw the highest daily recorded confirmed cases globally since it began with 16.2k new cases, before that it peaked at 15.1k new cases on the 13th February. I guess it's true what they say about unlucky 13th.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement