Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Not a fan of war but at least with war you can see your enemy. We can’t see sh1t with these little bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Have an idea. Maybe the government here is doing a hybrid UK/Rest of Eu approach. The people who feel they are at low risk of causing harm will get on with it as usual, supporting local businesses, and develop immunity. the people who feel they have due cause for concern will opt out and restrict themselves more, thus potentially slowing down the rate at which those most vulnerable contract the virus. That might explain your man on the Late Late not necessarily advising against people going out.

I swear this was all brought about by social media fear contagion. Convinced the lock downs would have occurred 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

So are we heading for an Italy style scenario still? Sam McConkey who shook alot of people up with his 80,000 to 120,000 deaths scenario a while back seems quite supportive of what the gov is doing currently.

Just checked HSE website and they dont seem too fussed still.
    'Risk of contracting coronavirus in Ireland is low to moderate. But this may change.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

wakka12 wrote: »
    Why is Connor Mcgregor's aunt not counted in the official country stats if she has apparently died of coronavirus?

Could she not be the lady who was the first death? I think he mentionioned 3 days ago in his post so would go with the timeline of the first death which was in the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

Why is Connor Mcgregor's aunt not counted in the official country stats if she has apparently died of coronavirus?

Wondering the same??

• Advertisement

In the last hour -
    First 4 cases in Uruguay: all the cases had returned from Milan, Italy between March 3 and March 6
    1st case in Guatemala: a Guatemalan who arrived from northern Italy
    1st case in St. Lucia
    1st case in Suriname
    1st case in Curaçao

Also in the last few hours
    First 2 cases in Aruba: both traveled in from New York.
    1st case in Kenya

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The fair city set really brought home the gravity of the situation for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Going to bed. Make sure you unsubscribe to the thread lest a torrent of ****e shall fill thy inbox .

Harpy wrote: »
    Could she not be the lady who was the first death? I think he mentionioned 3 days ago in his post so would go with the timeline of the first death which was in the east.

Yeh that makes sense. Also I think the woman who died was in her 50's or 60's or some relatively young age compared to most coronavirus victims and Conor's aunt looks quite young.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

Harpy wrote: »

Checked rip.ie (felt like a creep) and that says she died at home and wasn’t that old. Media says the lady who died from Coronavirus died in hospital and was elderly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,883 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

imfml wrote: »

If Italy is anything to go by, the UK tactic will result in a CFR above 8% and some nasty video footage from inside hospitals.

I fear for us, right next door.

Maybe we need some nasty hospital ward footage to focus hearts and minds. For politicians, of the type of fûckwits on pub crawls through temple bar and the likes of the publicans whose only loyalty is to their till and bank balance and NOT the people who are becoming affected, the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭threeball

Leave them to it.

I've a feeling Boris won't be PM when this is over. So much for all his Brexit shenanigans. The UK are pretty much alone in this strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,389 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

She passed away 3 days ago although his post is very unclear!

From Covid19? Is this the death rumoured yesterday or day before?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

joe40 wrote: »
    I'm not necessarily supporting the British strategy but it has the backing of their chief medical officer who by all accounts is extremely well respected in public health. Simplistic to say it is Boris Johnson or Dominic Cummins plan.

Seriously?

So believing someone is 'well respected' somehow equates with a defence of a plan which on the face of it leans towards a generational type genocide?

Maybe you've heard of this guy?

In 1847 - the well respected Assistant Secretary to the Treasury, Charles Trevelyan oversaw much of the British response to the Irish Famine. He was a proponent of Thomas Malthus, whose theories on population control were all the rage in the 19th-century Britain, and he intimated that the Famine was the work of a benign Providence which served to relieve Irish overpopulation by natural disaster...

Looks like our man above might be another fan of Malthus tbh ...

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I dont think its been confirmed she died of COVID 19 even though Conor said it. On RIP.ie it says she died suddenly at home, I dont think COVID really causes any sudden deaths?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭threeball

Have an idea. Maybe the government here is doing a hybrid UK/Rest of Eu approach. The people who feel they are at low risk of causing harm will get on with it as usual, supporting local businesses, and develop immunity. the people who feel they have due cause for concern will opt out and restrict themselves more, thus potentially slowing down the rate at which those most vulnerable contract the virus. That might explain your man on the Late Late not necessarily advising against people going out.

I swear this was all brought about by social media fear contagion. Convinced the lock downs would have occurred 10 years ago.

That would be clever if the boozed up fcukwits weren't going round to nanas for Sunday lunch to clear the hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bogwarrior

Every minute this situation is changing

We knew this well before he travelled , wow , do anyone care that he is in charge . I think that I could have made better decisions and a lot more people ,

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Assuming immunity will persist after recovery is a HUGE assumption. If it doesn't then herd immunity is kind of non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭amacca

ITman88 wrote: »

Economy
    work force mostly still available to work

OK perhaps

Kids in school-parents at work, grandparents not minding kids

You are assuming they all have separate houses to go to...........virus now more widespread and spikes to max percentage of population without any attempt to delay/flatten.....Health service potentially collapses as its till inundated with serious/critical cases given the % of the population that will develop serious symptoms not to mention long term complications even if you succeed in isolating say 60/70% of the over 65 cohort.....this by the way is all assuming they take it lying down and dont get very pissed off via lobby groups, using their assets etc etc

grand parents now more at risk imo.......and also much more isolated from basic services/food etc ...that is if they want to try avoid the virus - also probably impossible to self isolate for some if they share a house (by being generous enough to let an adult child stay and their children stay there - a situation that happens from time to time in Ireland) - its a death sentence for them

Grandparents offspring may not be too happy either...higher social unrest potential if you get it wrong (which I believe you have) leading to greater problems and economy even more damaged ...easier to take cover behind a we are doing this for the good of all than we are doing this for the good of all especially the over 65s but they have to self isolate in their own homes while the rest of us carry on as normal

Then there is the problem that many of those in that age category are the ones with the power/resources/influence both in business and politically...for that reason alone it would probably never fly...your strategy has to have a hope of being implemented...it just doesn't, not yet anyway and probably never imo

Health
    ICU not in demand, less requirement for care as vulnerable less likely to catch virus in isolation

Like I said I do not believe that is what would happen at all. I think there would be carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

It said she died suddenly, not following a short illness, so corona had nothing to do with it by the looks of things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭amacca

Turtwig wrote: »
    Assuming immunity will persist after recovery is a HUGE assumption. If it doesn't then herd immunity is kind of non existent.

Also am I correct in saying it wasn't the first wave of spanish flu that did the most damage...it was a subsequent wave that took out a lot of poor souls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

lfen wrote: »
    Checked rip.ie (felt like a creep) and that says she died at home and wasn’t that old. Media says the lady who died from Coronavirus died in hospital and was elderly.
    I wondering if CMG's remarks about coronavirus were just related to how it would affect the funeral.

Or is he suggesting she was an undiagnosed case of Covid-19?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Europe has proven totally impotent. I wouldn’t be surprised with more anti EU sentiment and more nationalist politics in the aftermath. Why didn’t the EU close to China when the US and Australia did? Why didn’t the US and Australia close to the EU when they failed to follow tact. Why didn’t travel bans roll out as countries were infected.

None of this was inevitable. The open borders mentality is going to cost hugely and backfire hugely

The EU doesn't have authority over flights or closing of borders : those are matters for the individual EU states

They have very little say in the health service or control of infectious diseases either, again those are matters for the EU states

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

threeball wrote: »
    I've a feeling Boris won't be PM when this is over. So much for all his Brexit shenanigans. The UK are pretty much alone in this strategy.

Or maybe the UK will come out of this in a much stronger position than when they went in and the heart of the EU is still in turmoil.
    Johnson is a gambler. His experts gave him options. He chose an option that means many UK citizens that could have potentially lived, will die.
    And yet this option was more favourable than the alternative.
    This is an indication of how both the societies and the economies of the EU are going to be after this.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    According to the Independent (pre-backpedal) that was a man in his 60s. As I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Portugal seem to have the same muncher of cases as us ( ROI & NÍ) more or less.

I don’t think it’s save to travel to any country in Europe now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I dont think its been confirmed she died of COVID 19 even though Conor said it. On RIP.ie it says she died suddenly at home, I dont think COVID really causes any sudden deaths?

If she died at home, she almost certainly hadn't got Covid-19....she would have been in ICU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

The fair city set really brought home the gravity of the situation for me.

Probably the first time Fair City resonated any emotional response ever... only trouble is this Sh1t ain’t scripted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

leck wrote: »
    I wondering if CMG's remarks about coronavirus were just related to how it would affect the funeral.

Or is he suggesting she was an undiagnosed case of Covid-19?

I think he’s just linking the recent death with the current risk of death.
    Washing hands or not might not affect you but if could affects somebody else. People think saying it will only kill x% or y cases. Those people that will die, however small or great the number, will be somebody aunt, uncle, father, mother, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

fin12 wrote: »
    Portugal seem to have the same muncher of cases as us ( ROI & NÍ) more or less.

I don’t think it’s save to travel to any country in Europe now.

So you're saying that it's as dangerous to go to the city centre as it is to Portugal?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement