Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,747 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Cool about time they released all those grannies than didn't have a TV Licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,803 ✭✭✭saabsaab

As a previous poster said

'denial to anger, bargaining, depression, and I have no other choice but acceptance now'

I think the nation is going through this now somewhere between 3 and 4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I think the government should be looking at setting up services to allow for the isolating all people over 65 or 70 for several weeks.

Meals on wheels, shopping deliveries, mobile pharmacy, fuel supplies, healthcare visits etc. A lot of that could be helped/organised by local volunteers. Many old people in the country are not online and are frightened but they have to venture out for food and supplies. The panic buyers must frighten them even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The U.K. appears to be going for the rapid infection rate approach, hence not closing schools or shutting down society. According to Channel 4 tonight, this approach could lead to 220,000 deaths as the systems become quickly overwhelmed. But that’s what they’re doing, sacrifice a percentage of the population to get to herd immunity faster.
    How is that looking after public health???

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

ITman88 wrote: »
    Ok . . . . So at present we have schools closed with huge issues as regards roaming kids and teachers.

I know this isn't "all" people, but honestly, a lot of kids are stuck inside for 2 weeks. My parents will NOT let me leave the house (outside walks when I need one) and I'll probably be stuck inside on my PC doing school and binging anime for now

I know quite a few people who's parents won't let them come out until this blows over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Nermal

What about hospitals?

Hospitals need to be full of the tiny fraction of people under 50 who develop complications with this virus.

An empty bed is a failure, a bed with someone over 50 in it is a failure.

That’s the UK plan - infect the population under 50 as quickly as bed capacity allows.

Closing schools is a terrible idea. Children should be infecting one another and their parents. Now they’re going to infect their grandparents instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

ITman88 wrote: »
    Have you quoted your own thoughts?

Lol ya i get it.
    Its been a strange evening. Its hard to put into words.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Here we are now, thread number 7. >strokes bog roll

Neighbors were off to the pub as per standard operating procedure this evening, so it can’t be all that bad, right?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

GM228 wrote: »
    Yesterday (the 13th March) saw the highest recorded confirmed cases recorded globally since it began with 16.2k, before that it peaked at 15.1k on the 13th February. I guess it's true what they say about the 13th!

Abolish the number 13 and we're sorted. It's always been my least favourite number anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Tbh, I'd prefer disastrous economic consequences over healthcare collapse and thousands of premature deaths. No doubt such a situation would be a huge shock to the country and would lead to much anger and prolly just as much disastrous economic consequences.

We could follow the UK's herd immunity strategy. That's the alternative. Like the vast majority of countries, we are trying to flatten the curve. This means that people should get infected at a slower rate. This will mean that healthcare, while under enormous pressure, will save more lives as we await a vaccine that prevents infection and/or a drug that alleviates the symptoms. The economic shocks are inevitable either way.

• Advertisement

Nermal wrote: »
    Hospitals need to be full of the tiny fraction of people under 50 who develop complications with this virus.

That’s the UK plan - infect the population under 50 as quickly as bed capacity allows.

Closing schools is a terrible idea. Children should be infecting one another and their parents. Now they’re going to infect their grandparents instead.

Does a government not have an obligation to look after every citizen?

Letting the over 50s die...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Tbh, I'd prefer disastrous economic consequences over healthcare collapse and thousands of premature deaths. No doubt such a situation would be a huge shock to the country and would lead to much anger and prolly just as much disastrous economic consequences.
    One of the issues is economic collapse could itself result in a significant collapse in healthcare. Make no mistake, what is being spent now will be paid for in the future, perhaps by higher taxes for our children, or limitations to healthcare provision

I am not suggesting what is happening now should not be, but there remains a fine balance. The Government and others tasked with overseeing this are not in a position to throw "everything possible" at this without a significant cost, possibly still being paid for by future generations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

When our grandkids look back and ask "Where were you when the country was on a knife edge and our existence as a society was on the line"

Will the pub goers lie, ashamed that they contributed to the spread of a virus that kills tens of thousands and disables many more that will die a horrible death later in life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Beasty wrote: »
    One of the issues is economic collapse could itself result in a significant collapse in healthcare. Make no mistake, what is being spent now will be paid for in the future, perhaps by higher taxes for our children, or limitations to healthcare provision

I am not suggesting what is happening now should not be, but there remains a fine balance. The Government and others tasked with overseeing this are not in a position to throw "everything possible" at this without a significant cost, possibly still being paid for by future generations

To be honest I’d be happier paying for this than another bank bailout.

But also worth noting the Irish state is still as of this week raising debt (primarily refinancing old debt) at extraordinarily low interest rates. Same too the UK with their budget expansion this week. Markets are prepared to lend and after that central banks ought to be prepared to create liquidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I am watching Sky News for the first time in a while and they are showing a piece about Italy in its harrowing state, not cognizant of the fact that that is their fate in 2 weeks time, almost guaranteed.

It's like they're saying it's a "Europe" issue, not realising the fact that they are still ****ing in Europe.

I though Channel 4 was a lot more stark about things. It is them in 2 weeks. Some bunch of sociopaths running the show over there.

It will seriously **** up our efforts.

Just a wild guess, but I'm thinking you're under 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Have we got another death to confirm? Conor mcgregors aunty passed away . Posted on his insta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Nermal

Does a government not have an obligation to look after every citizen?

Letting the over 50s die...

That’s the opposite of what they’re doing. They want low risk groups infected, so that high risk groups won’t be.

They still want the curve flattened, they don’t want indiscriminate infection. But low risk groups need to get it, and need to get it as quickly as the NHS capacity allows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭threeball

He must really hate his parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭calgary bound

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Have we got another death to confirm? Conor mcgregors aunty passed away . Posted on his insta

She passed away 3 days ago although his post is very unclear!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

No idea how this thread has gone all day but i'm still waiting to get tested and i have been told it could be at least 5 days with my mrs.

That’s the opposite of what they’re doing. They want low risk groups infected, so that high risk groups won’t be.

They still want the curve flattened, they don’t want indiscriminate infection. But low risk groups need to get it, and need to get it as quickly as the NHS capacity allows.

Ah here like Italy?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

When our grandkids look back and ask "Where were you when the country was on a knife edge and our existence as a society was on the line"

“Well son, I was on boards.ie posting memes and gifs”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

GM228 wrote: »
    Yesterday (the 13th March) saw the highest daily recorded confirmed cases globally since it began with 16.2k new cases, before that it peaked at 15.1k new cases on the 13th February. I guess it's true what they say about unlucky 13th.

Whered ya get those numbers?
    As far as I'm aware there were just under 11,000 new cases today, and that is by far and away the largest daily total worldwide since the epidemic began
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

threeball wrote: »
    He must really hate his parents.

Probably his granny and grandad. They must be early 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

How is that looking after public health???

My opinion is that they’re not as concerned about public health as they are about moving quickly towards economic recovery before the rest of Europe. It’s a dark and cynical view, but I can’t see any other reason for prioritising this approach, over flattening the curve in order to save more lives by taking pressure off the health system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭amacca

The youth of today eh.........

Young people are the future, mol an oige and all that!:(

Well at least if they are posting here at this time its unlikely they have any hand in policy decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

COVID-19 & Herd Immunity

Is there any quotable/linkable evidence that exposure to COVID-19 is giving herd immunity?

As I understand it, at present this is just an unverified/unverifiable assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

My main concern is the UK.

If they insist on this path of accepting and ploughing on, it could have disasterous consequences for us. I think it might be prudent in a number of weeks to halt flights from the UK or introduce some restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Melodramatic much? I would say I didn't live through World War 2!

Good night folks. Tomorrow is another day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement