Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Not sure if this is related but Ive been following the John Hopkins online coronavirus map for the past couple of days. It tracks each countries confirmed cases, deaths and recoveries. Give or take a few hours to a day to update and its very accurate.
    Every country was listed including the UK until today.
    The UK isnt listed at all anymore and theres no longer an option to click on the country for data. Theres not even a red circle on it anymore to show that it has infections. There had been yesterday.

Maybe they dont want any interference or dont want it known how many infected numbers they have? I dont know but it seems odd.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

The UK appears for me just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

fritzelly wrote: »
    What timezone? 10 mins ago the left hand country list still had Ireland at 70 - changed now

It's showing as GMT, just updated there again 18 minutes ago and gave the correct GMT time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

fly_agaric wrote: »
    World stayed completely open to China (and this virus) for far, far too long IMO.

Flights, inward travel etc should have been cancelled or quarantined but that could not be done (as I think it was very quickly with SARS outbreak?) because it would have annoyed China and of course China is a superpower now, has very deep economic ties with most Western nations and must be respected or else...

The ongoing spread is down to greed and lack of leadership. Just too many people in power who are conditioned to look after profit before people... and NOBODY in position of power or influence.... Trump, Macron, May and more besides willing to close borders and act fast... $£$£ is ALL.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SwordsRunner

TTLF wrote: »
    Finished my first "day?" of homeschool..

From an LC students perspective my first thought is "This just ain't gonna work"

But sure, it's only day 1, I should hopefully get into a routine....

and now I can sleep longer too :D

School is a massive distraction in 6th year. Use the time wisely. Study. Study like your life depended on it. Forget the virus, stay off this website and square up to the challenge.

Self isolate with the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Jesus the UK plan is bananas.

WTF like?

They plan 60% to get it and then its grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

The Tories have lost their little minds. They are effectively saying that they will sacrifice the lives of a fair portion of their population to keep the economy on track. sick stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

UK are looking at banning mass gatherings now.

As long as Cheltenham happend.

What has gone wrong with them in the last few years??

Last few hundred years....?

skimpydoo wrote: »
    The UK appears for me just fine.

800 cases?

I'll bet up to 1200 sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 35,837 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Smackdown on BT Sports 1 , no one in audience, so funny as they wrestle with no one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

imfml wrote: »
    In a months time our health professionals will have guidelines on prioritising care to people in 30s vs people in 40s. This god****e will have helped spread it and also potentially take up a ventilator that could have saved a vulnerable person.

That’s fairly sensationalist now!

• Advertisement

The Tories have lost their little minds. They are effectively saying that they will sacrifice the lives of a fair portion of their population to keep the economy on track. sick stuff.

Imagine our government even suggested this idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Downlinz

WTF like?

Business first Tories, they know that strategy will be more damaging to society overall but don't care since it'll keep the economic wheels spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭All in all

Just back from the pub.

If anything a bit busier than a regular Friday night crowd.

How's the thread going? - Is there still a lot of pub-envy or has it calmed down a bit?

Good man, home alone for a read of boards.

Serious envy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

2.5% of all deaths in the European Union today were from coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'd say we'll look back in 12 months and wish we'd followed the UK approach.

We've never produced the same caliber of politician as a country. We're stuck with lads that follow the social media winds. Afraid to make the tough but right decisions.

I just spent the week travelling on the Tube. It was fairly packed at times.
    Not sure if you can realistically shut it down.

What about Italy and China?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

WTF like?

Assuming a relatively benign mortality rate of 1%, that's 390,000 deaths. Go Boris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

almostover wrote: »
    Very difficult to legislate for imbeciles

It's impossible.

I was talking to a family member today who is living up the north. He said he isn't going to take the chance of coming home until this settles down.

Contrast that to the likes of the other clown, who seems to get off flaunting his own disregard for himself and everyone else.

Bottom line is do what you have to do to make sure your loved ones are protected from this because there's plenty of people out there wired to a different planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭threeball

wakka12 wrote: »
    Touching your eyes,nose ,mouth then touching something somebody else uses, for example
    It's much harder to spread when asymptomatic but definitely still does occur

Saw an expert yesterday state that just breathing was enough due to water droplets in your breath and I'd tend to believe that. They won't say that because of the herd mentality and panic that could ensue. It also lives on surfaces from hours to days dependent on humidity and other factors so grabbing a door handle or touching a countertop is enough to transmit it if an infected person touched it previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,457 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Not sure if this is related but Ive been following the John Hopkins online coronavirus map for the past couple of days. It tracks each countries confirmed cases, deaths and recoveries. Give or take a few hours to a day to update and its very accurate.
    Every country was listed including the UK until today.
    The UK isnt listed at all anymore and theres no longer an option to click on the country for data. Theres not even a red circle on it anymore to show that it has infections. There had been yesterday.

Maybe they dont want any interference or dont want it known how many infected numbers they have? I dont know but it seems odd.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

This one lists Great Britain in the map 798 cases, was that the number from yesterday? https://virusncov.com/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

We've never produced the same caliber of politician as a country. We're stuck with lads that follow the social media winds. Afraid to make the tough but right decisions.

I’d say you were great craic in the pub tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Somehow I doubt that!

Quite a few brothels in Dublin, wonder is business down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

It's ok. They don't use the Tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭zvone

skimpydoo wrote: »

I maybe draconian here but if I was their boss and knew about this, they would be sacked. Wreckless endangerment.

Guy working with me... hes wife and daughter come back from Milano week ago. I ask them are they in some self isolation, quorantin .. He just laughed and told me.. "No, they fine, they come back to work." Wife works as a midwife in hospital and daughter work in the restaurant.
    Several irresponsible individuals (like this one) can ruin efforts of a thousand. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Imagine our government even suggested this idea.

It's nuts, bordering on a criminal negligence if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

WTF like?

Based on science......

i.e. Base on behavioural science - and the assumption that the population will get bored isolating to prevent a virus with a CFR of 3.4% spreading.

If Italy is anything to go by, the UK tactic will result in a CFR above 8% and some nasty video footage from inside hospitals.

This will all happen within 90 days. Boris has made a terrible decision.

I fear for us, right next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Downlinz

We're never produced the same caliber of politician as a country. We've stuck with lads that follow the social media winds. Afraid to make the tough but right decisions.

The solution to the virus problem has already been demonstrated in China, the right decision is already known. No tough decisions necessary, just follow the blueprint without trying to save a few quid along the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The underground doesn't go that far.

West Croydon might be the closest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

An Ri rua wrote: »
    100%. There's so much control of the message by the authorities. The reality is that this virus has killed younger people, has killed healthy people (virus overload) and up to 16% of cases can suffer lifelong damage. 1 in 6.

How could you possibly know this already. Spreading this hore**** is not healthy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement