Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Not according to their son on the BBC last night. They are in hospital but not 'in a bad way'.

He did say his father was very I'll, unable to eat and needing a wheelchair to move about

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies all.

We're supposed to be bringing 80 school kids with us so won't be able to wait unfortunately. I'm guessing we're not going to end up going at this stage
    Cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Urban legend
    People are dying in theirs 30s too, as for the underlying condition, that means anything including a normal flue that has affected your immune system. You don't have to be an elderly on death doorstep to be at risk

Agreed from what has been released - it can affect a wide range of age groups.

On the immune system - one expert was recommending the flu jab for anyone who has not yet had it. Not that the flu vaccine provides any protection against the Corona virus (it doesn't) rather it evens out the odds of getting hit with flu whilst the corona infection is prevalent.

That and some multi vitamins with vitamin D and zinc to make sure vitamin levels are adequate

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Gynoid wrote: »
    I don't get your meaning?

Exactly my point tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Italy lived in a bubble until 3 days ago, they said the virus wasn't there and the risk to get it was 0%
    Denial is our biggest problem, people should start now to take preconditions instead of later

I note a rush to the shops and all the ensuing last minute panic that entails. They haven’t been able to identify patient zero either, apparently their suspect was clean. But yeah read this thread and all the back and forth, “oh you fools stocking up!” If Italy and South Korea can get fast moving cases, so can Ireland or anywhere else. Personally I don’t fancy trying to prepare at that point. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/23/italy-draconian-measures-effort-halt-coronavirus-outbreak-spread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

tara73 wrote: »
    Agree. but what to do? I guess avoiding public transport comletely, not shaking hands anymore with anybody (easy excuse here saying you have a bad cold) and avoiding events/places with many people in close contact. bit miserable life though...

Avoiding people when you have a cold/flue and you are contagious would be a good starting point. In fact, it would be the decent thing to do regardless of covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,865 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Stheno wrote: »
    Exactly my point tbh

Oh Jeez, some sort of mystery man who speaks in riddles. If you mean I should put them on ignore they are multiple, and some I otherwise very much like, so it would be easier if all those people who feel like lambasting Grace would just put her on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Weird the way the outbreak in Italy is so spread across a load of little villages. Another super spreader, on holiday? Shoutout to all those previous here saying “we have a low population density, be grand in the countryside!”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Gynoid wrote: »
    Oh Jeez, some sort of mystery man who speaks in riddles. If you mean I should put them on ignore they are multiple, and some I otherwise very much like, so it would be easier if all those people who feel like lambasting Grace would just out her on ignore.

Could never stand outrage merchants who speak in riddles either they are just looking for attention.

• Advertisement

I’m booked to go to Greece in May.

Warmer, might have less contagion risk than Ireland by that point. Just hold your breath while in airports. I'd probably go if you are not in the high risk category

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Weird the way the outbreak in Italy is so spread across a load of little villages. Another super spreader, on holiday?

it's normal spreading from different sources as you would expect when a contagion has taken off

Only the small villages are being tested at the moment because there are confirmed cases there. If they did a mass test in Milan the numbers would rise

cnocbui wrote: »
    Warmer, might have less contagion risk than Ireland by that point. Just hold your breath while in airports. I'd probably go if you are not in the high risk category

And on the flight.

I am not worried about my destination so much as the flight and the airports.

Avoiding people when you have a cold/flue and you are contagious would be a good starting point. In fact, it would be the decent thing to do regardless of covid.

I mentioned weeks ago that the HSE should have been running ad campaigns before the start of the flu seasons. Show people how to wash their hands correctly, sneezing or coughing into a tissue, etc.

A decent ad campaign is is better than the trolley crisis every year. Not saying it will eradicate the trolley issue but it wouldn’t make it worse.

And on the flight.

Planes have hospital grade air filtration so the main risk is sitting close to an infected person. I think airport toilets and surfaces are the big worry. My kids have gotten norovirus a couple of times when traveling. Not fun. F'n Heathrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Sorry I must have missed that?

Yeah me too ...

Probably need to put the glasses on there I think. That and a very tiny violin ...

Planes have hospital grade air filtration so the main risk is sitting close to an infected person.

Diamond Princess says hi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Weird the way the outbreak in Italy is so spread across a load of little villages. Another super spreader, on holiday? Shoutout to all those previous here saying “we have a low population density, be grand in the countryside!”

The guy ran a local marathon apparently before he got sick. Perfect for spreading the virus to as many people and places as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

I meant if you don't have any cold/flu, but don't want to shake hands, to not being impolite mentioning having the cold/flu as an excuse...:)

Well if there is any truth in taking liquorice then I’ll just start on the sambuca once I’ve parked the car up :D

• Advertisement

tara73 wrote: »
    I meant if you don't have any cold/flu, but don't want to shake hands, to not being impolite mentioning having the cold/flu as an excuse...:)

I think you are perfectly right to do so, we can worry about ethiquette another time

Well if there is any truth in taking liquorice then I’ll just start on the sambuca once I’ve parked the car up :D

Best to have a few before that to steady up your nerves for the drive.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

And on the flight.

Personally i wouldn't be getting on any airplanes from this point onward until more is known.Not that worried about myself health wide im A1 but wouldn't want to spread it to my elderly parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Anybody going on holiday in the next few weeks anywhere is there a good chance of travel being canceled?

Opinions?

I am worried about a trip to Norway in July, mind you if at that stage it needs to be cancelled I'll have a lot more to worry about - like not f*cking dying!!!

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Personally i wouldn't be getting on any airplanes from this point onward until more is known.Not that worried about myself health wide im A1 but wouldn't want to spread it to my elderly parents.

Mmmmm.

Yes.

The company I work for has had a global travel ban in place for weeks now

That would be my worry too. I am a carer for my dad who has a tracheotomy.

I have annual travel insurance so will wait and see.

That would be my worry too. I am a carer for my dad who has a tracheotomy.

I have annual travel insurance so will wait and see.

Booked with Ryanair got their insurance did not read the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Stheno wrote: »
    The company I work for has had a global travel ban in place for weeks now

Yeah our place doesn't and it hasn't even been discussed. Luckily i don't do travel for work only throughout Ireland but others are at the airports every other day.

• Advertisement

I must admit. The 38 year dying in Italy is a bit concerning. Was healthy. Current worry level would be 4\10.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement