Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Beggars belief that a good chunk of the country are walking around now assuming its not here, or people get colds etc. and have no idea they're spreading this. It seems so inevitable that we wait until the critical case shows up and gets tested and we are in Italy's shoes.

It's not like doing the bare minimum amount is hard. I understand it's unlikely to be contained in any country at this stage, but could we have given it a shot even?

Are there any diagnosed cases here? And you are suggesting? A total lockdown? Schools etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

gozunda wrote: »
    I know you are replying to another poster there However some news for ya. This is the internet. We are all anonymous posters on this thread. There are no certainties regarding anyones age or health or even if posts are genuine or at least not taking the piss. Anyoneposter here could be of 'certain age' 'infirm' or even not 'robust. I've been around for a while and most posters dont continuously bleat about such things or play a musical instrument to beat the band.

Any poster attacking others or even bring " a thundering pain in the arse"
    - will most likley get that pointed out whether they claim to be rip van winkle or the Tin Man from the wizard of Oz.

Dont like a post - then afaik the normal thing is report it and leave off the tilting at windmills for dragons or whatever ...

Yeah, whatever is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Gynoid wrote: »
    Yeah, whatever is right.

If we knew that - we wouldnt be here ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Graces7 wrote: »
    Are there any diagnosed cases here? And you are suggesting? A total lockdown? Schools etc?

No. why do people keep assuming that? I said the bare minimum which is loads of PSA (so people don't go around spreading it without knowing, like the exact way it got massive in Wuhan, yes there are asymptomatic cases that doesn't mean we can't limit symptomatic people from spreading it too).

And up-to-date information from our official sources. Maybe conveying the urgency, some people who aren't on the internet all the time might like to know the true situation rather than what RTE have depicted so far.

The bare minimum.

If we knew that - we wouldnt be here ...

Whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

How many people from the Diamond Princess died?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I can't see the harm in it. Ill happily be laughed at if it all blows over (it won't) but the water will be drunk and the food will be eaten eventually so its no loss financially. I've put a little extra in every weekly shop over the last 4 weeks as well as doing a water and tinned food, dry food shop separately for my parents. It really doesn't take much effort.

how many tins of beans would one need to ride this out!?? I'm guessing its not very achievable to hoard enough to ride it out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

How many people from the Diamond Princess died?

3 deaths
    36 serious

I think the genie is out of the bottle now, but hopefully I am wrong, ever the optimist.

I also think the Church should state from the altar that the Sign of Peace is being suspended for the time being at Mass. I worry about those in my family who attend church and partake in this little ritual.

My late mother and a late cousin used to stay at the back of the church and sneak out for a moment around the sign of the cross time, escaped many an infection that was going the rounds among the coughing congregation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,981 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Diamond Princess says hi

The crew got it from other crew and the passengers got it from infected crew preparing their meals and transporting them to their rooms, not the ventilation system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Apologies if it's already been posted on this thread but the Sunday Business Post has Coronavirus on its front page today under the headline:

"Ireland ill equipped to handle big coronavirus outbreak, warn doctors".

Intensive Care Consultant Dr Tom Ryan didn't hold back about inadequacies to deal with a large amount of infections.

RCSI Professor Sam McConkey outlined a worst case scenario of up to 20,000 dead.

Even the Chair of Ireland's Coronavirus Expert Advisory Group Dr Cliian De Gascun confessed he was worried and that "things are now going in the wrong direction".

Susan Mitchell is one of the country's best health journalists so I wouldn't dismiss the article lightly.

tillyfilly wrote: »
    how many tins of beans would one need to ride this out!?? I'm guessing its not very achievable to hoard enough to ride it out!!

There isnt enough Loo Roll in the country to deal with that scenario tbh ...:D

Well if there is any truth in taking liquorice then I’ll just start on the sambuca once I’ve parked the car up :D

Research vitamin D, I suspect it would be a lot more efficacious than liquorice, even if less tasty or interesting.

tillyfilly wrote: »

Lots of dried lentils, beans, barley, rice, pasta, couscous etc. I always keep plenty of spices in the press. Could make very nutritious dahl, risottos etc. Keeping a few types of flour, yeast, oil you can make samosas, bread, pizza bases, all sorts of interesting things. Tomato paste, harissa, creamed coconut. Butter keeps almost forever, to make pastry & shortbread. Meat, fish & vegetables can go in the freezer. A well stocked larder is always handy as I found when I got something as simple as a broken foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

No. why do people keep assuming that? I said the bare minimum which is loads of PSA (so people don't go around spreading it without knowing, like the exact way it got massive in Wuhan, yes there are asymptomatic cases that doesn't mean we can't limit symptomatic people from spreading it too).

And up-to-date information from our official sources. Maybe conveying the urgency, some people who aren't on the internet all the time might like to know the true situation rather than what RTE have depicted so far.

The bare minimum.

I liked this article where they discuss the correct way to prepare people for pandemic and how the 'nothing to worry about' causes more panic than the practical steps that can be taken.
    It's an easy read.

https://virologydownunder.com/past-time-to-tell-the-public-it-will-probably-go-pandemic-and-we-should-all-prepare-now/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Apologies if posted already

Doctor John posting the video he hoped he would never have to make.

There isnt enough Loo Roll in the country to deal with that scenario tbh ...:D

Which is one thing to start stocking up on, can’t do without it. Same for hygiene pads, nappies, soap, bleach spray, bin sacks etc. Dry pet food & cat litter etc for the pets.

Which is one thing to start stocking up on, can’t do without it. .

Helpful Tip From Wikihow - in case of being caught short in an apocalypse. Millions have managed for tens of thousands of years without loo roll.

Wash your private areas with the available water. You will need about 1 liter of water for this task. Use the spray hose to rinse or take the dipper provided in the water bucket. With your right hand, throw the water up at the dirty areas.
    In India, it is common to clean with the left hand. When you use your right hand to throw the water, reach between your legs with your left hand. Cup your left hand to collect some falling water and use this to clean yourself.
    Ladies must be careful not to wipe in the direction of their genitals. Instead of cupping and throwing water upwards it is better for both genders to wiggle the middle-finger of the left hand rather fast while pouring water from the back in direction of the anus. Water plus finger-movement clean away wastes, and the left hand remains relatively clean due to the constant pour of water. The whole process is actually cleaner than doing it with toilet-paper which just smears wastes around the anal area.

:)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm all prepared. I watched The Survivors when it first came out and now have the DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

CORONA VIRUS NOW A NOTIFIABLE DISEASE

I just was on breaking news.ie; there is a header at the top "coronavirus" and on that page news that coronavirus is now a notifiable diseasea in Ireland and a long piece on coronavirus precautions etc. Much the same as they issued a few weeks ago as they say in the article

I cannot copy paste on this machine so please can some kind person copy/paste the link? Thank you

Headed "Doctors obliged to notify HSE...…."

It should reassure folk.

Please excuse me now as I am very very unwell today but was concerned at the thread earlier that folk were being more worried into panic than was needful.

John for Continuing to say they are ready for everything when they can’t possibly be). Somebody said they were on 6\1 news one day. It should be update segment everyday at this stage.
    n weeks ago.
    [/QUOTE]

Graces7 your Inbox is full, you cant receive any Pms unless you delete a few.

Hope you get well soon Graces7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭scotchy

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm all prepared. I watched The Survivors when it first came out and now have the DVD

Here ye go - just for a bit of nostalgia ;)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEw9x0MHNcZQFzdbggBn7sC49v0qD3q3Z

Which is one thing to start stocking up on, can’t do without it. Same for hygiene pads, nappies, soap, bleach spray, bin sacks etc. Dry pet food & cat litter etc for the pets.

That moment when that seemingly useless, odd, and out of place bidet you haven't used in 12 years, suddenly starts acquiring an aura of indispensable and treasured appliance. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

CORONA VIRUS NOW A NOTIFIABLE DISEASE

I just was on breaking news.ie; there is a header at the top "coronavirus" and on that page news that coronavirus is now a notifiable diseasea in Ireland and a long piece on coronavirus precautions etc. Much the same as they issued a few weeks ago as they say in the article

I cannot copy paste on this machine so please can some kind person copy/paste the link? Thank you

Headed "Doctors obliged to notify HSE...…."

It should reassure folk.

Please excuse me now as I am very very unwell today but was concerned at the thread earlier that folk were being more worried into panic than was needful.

John for Continuing to say they are ready for everything when they can’t possibly be). Somebody said they were on 6\1 news one day. It should be update segment everyday at this stage.
    n weeks ago.
    [/QUOTE]

Grace here is a link to the article you requested. :)https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/doctors-obliged-to-notify-hse-when-covid-19-cases-diagnosed-983012.html

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I’m wondering which one of us here might be first to admit getting it (hopefully not a seriously severe case) and report on how it is or has been when we recover. Of course without testing nobody knows for sure, and in a bad pandemic it will be an educated guess in moderately severe illness not warranting medical intervention. I’m curious to know exactly how people have experienced this illness as a relatively mild dose, eg has it been way, way more horrible than most other viruses one has ever experienced or just like a particularly nasty cold.

I’m wondering which one of us here might be first to admit getting it (hopefully not a seriously severe case) and report on how it is or has been when we recover. Of course without testing nobody knows for sure, and in a bad pandemic it will be an educated guess in moderately severe illness not warranting medical intervention. I’m curious to know exactly how people have experienced this illness as a relatively mild dose, eg has it been way, way more horrible than most other viruses one has ever experienced or just like a particularly nasty cold.

Ghoul. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Grace here is a link to the article you requested. :)https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/doctors-obliged-to-notify-hse-when-covid-19-cases-diagnosed-983012.html[/quote]

That's not breaking news that's from last Thursday, not today?

And self isolation instructions etc have been in place before that

Bit of scaremongering by posters tbh trying to frighten people with inaccurate posting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Unearthly wrote: »
    Haven't you seen The Leftovers? Losing 2% of the population would bring the world to its knees :pac:

We're not going to lose 2% of the worlds population to this. So much wrong with this logic. Assuming 100% infection rate. Not taking into account unconfirmed cases which means it's actually far below 2% currently.
    BanditLuke wrote: »
    2% is a best case scenario. Obviously the figure is going to be worse in under prepared health systems like ours.

No it's not. Wuhan has a population twice the size of Ireland in an area 10% of the size facilitating spread. The R0 would be far lower in Ireland and the death rate is far below 2%
    Mic 1972 wrote: »
    the 2% is currently 3% and it only represents the % of deaths out of total cases, 70% of which still don't have an outcome
    An alternate way to look at this is counting the % deaths out of all closed cases, which has stabilized at 10% for the last 2 days.

Considering the undetected cases we can probably assume that Death Rate sits between 3% and 10%

Still here, still misrepresenting the data. How in god's name are you estimating 3-10%? Tell me your logic behind that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I'm home with a flue at the moment :rolleyes: not going out and not infecting anybody, I also work from home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,879 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Who wants to gets a holiday home on Valentia Island and ride
    this thing out .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement