Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    At the moment 2 methods have been used. They both are based solely on actual data. There is no unreported cases included in the stats below

Flawed method
    Deaths / Total cases = 3% (this is trending up)

Accurate method
    Deaths / Closed cases = 9% (this is trending down)

both methods are flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

BloodBath wrote: »
    Oh yes it's ironic that I'm having a go at someone who's been saying crap like as much as 30% of people who will catch this will die.

Point out what I've said that is wrong then and back it up with "facts".

I've done it several times already and it hasn't been countered once.

You are having a go at the official data mate LOL!
    stop being obsessed with me, you are putting the rest of the people off in here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Fleadhs, Arts Festivals, Cooking festivals, list endless, gigs in Dublin, Cork etc. (5/10 for me to, concerned enough.)

Paddy’s Day parades (Worldwide?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Anyone on here bought a face mask or even wore one yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Carol25

I think people on this thread need to be mindful that as we type and hypothesise, there are people really sick, seriously ill, and those who may die. Not all of these are fitting the criteria of older / other health issues. It is a tragic, frightening, and unknown situation. Look at how the Italian and other authorities are acting rather than just listening to what they are saying...I wouldn't pay too much attention to the Irish authorities at this time...it's more of a Father Ted type response which I worry will backfire badly if people become extremely ill...:confused::(:eek:

• Advertisement

Jin luk wrote: »
    So many people dont realise how serious this is spanish flu started slow but then wiped everything in its path, look at any chart of serious disease and covid 19 comes second to spanish flu ahead of swine flu on case confirmed at this stage on each serious outbreak people also thing its like our colds and flu when its not look at the critical numbers these people who are critical are more than likely not going to survive it which my estimates are coming in at around 18% death rate compared to what the media is saying it is at 3 or 4% china has clearly lied about fatalities iran and italy situation kind of confirms this unless these asian countries somehow adds the numbers up different

Take a breath there Jin. We’re low on oxygen tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

me using the 2-3% number? LOL
    i spent hours in here insisting that number not to be used!

But you have been insisting that it's much higher.

As high as 10-30% when with the information I have provided it could only possibly be lower.
    You are having a go at the official date mate LOL!
    stop being obsessed with me, you are putting the rest of the people off in here

I'm not obsessed with you. I have a gander at this thread every couple of days to see what's going on and see you posting the same nonsense every time no matter how many times you get called out on it.

I can only hope I'm right about it not being as bad as early numbers suggest.

Still a deadly virus that will kill a lot of people and I am worried about it getting to Ireland. We all have elderly loved ones.

froog wrote: »
    both methods are flawed.

personal option versus statistical science, interesting take

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Jaysus give up with the numbers - you've polluted half the thread with the constant bickering about it.

But you have been insisting that it's much higher.
    As high as 10-30% when with the information I have provided it could only possibly be lower.

I never said that either, what are you on today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Take a breath there Jin. We’re low on oxygen tanks.

Have not got the time to be writing paragraphs and . Tis the end times

Maybe everyone here in Boards should email HSE like nuts, bombard them with emails to update their website and info. I've to play my session in Cholis tonight, probably full of Italian, Japanese, South Korean and Singapore tourists hahaha. :)

I already tweeted them, will do so again.

Jin luk wrote: »
    Have not got the time to be writing paragraphs and . Tis the end times

:D

fritzelly wrote: »
    Jaysus give up with the numbers - you've polluted half the thread with the constant bickering about it.
    Thank you, I think a couple of users are taking the "number" issue a bit too personal, god knows why...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I think the mods need to step in and ask one or two of the lads to take a wee holiday for a while.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,744 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

fr336 wrote: »
    Anyone on here bought a face mask or even wore one yet?

Luckily, just a few months ago I bought a 3M welding fumes mask from.... CHINA :eek:

Tis fine.
    I'll wear it around Aldi and nobody will even notice.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Oh yes it's ironic that I'm having a go at someone who's been saying crap like as much as 30% of people who will catch this will die.

Whatever you say chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The manner in which you’re posting comes across as bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The Death Rate depends on whether you receive the care need.

The fact the serious/critical condition has gone up 20-22% in the last few days is worrying.
    But we dont know how many undected mild cases there are.

We should know more in a month on the true death rate

personal option versus statistical science, interesting take

do you not see the obvious flaw with your preferred method though? it would only be accurate if the time to fatality was very close to time to being declared "recovered". i.e. the ratio is maintained over time. which it is clearly not.

at best the second method is as inaccurate as the first (just trending different directions as you point out yourself) and the truth lies somewhere in between and will converge once hopefully this thing calms down.

• Advertisement

do you not see the obvious flaw with your preferred method though? it would only be accurate if the time to fatality was very close to time to being declared "recovered". i.e. the ratio is maintained over time. which it is clearly not.

at best the second method is as inaccurate as the first (just trending different directions as you point out yourself) and the truth lies somewhere in between and will converge once hopefully this thing calms down.

One method is flawed by definition
    The other one is a dynamic rate, it's the correct method but with live daily updates. What's relevant about it is the consistent trend. The curve has almost plateaued at 9% , let's hope it falls below that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hahaha just seen on the PROC Covid-19 thread that Ryanair's stock has went down 10%, I wonder if that's flight cancellations to a certain country. :):D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

MD1990 wrote: »

But we dont know how many undected mild cases there are.

We should know more in a month on the true death rate

Exactly, its been confirmed that most verified cases have mild or no symptoms.

That means theres tons of people out in the wild thinking they are fine or just have a cold, but spreading it all the same. If that's the case then the true number infected is going to be multiples of the current figures, which means the death rate is far lower than speculated. It's possible that we might not ever know the true figure because most of those people will never be tested, unless they are found to have a link to another case.

One method is flawed by definition
    The other one is a dynamic rate, it's the correct method but with live daily updates. What's relevant about it is the consistent trend. The curve has almost plateaued at 9% , let's hope it falls below that

the hopkins site is down right now but i'll take your word for it. if it is indeed plateauing at 9% then it's very worrying.

bear in mind there's certainly a huge amount of unreported mild cases which would bring the figure down substantially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

the hopkins site is down right now but i'll take your word for it. if it is indeed plateauing at 9% then it's very worrying.

bear in mind there's certainly a huge amount of unreported mild cases which would bring the figure down substantially.

It’s not flawed :D

Both ways are accurate ways of reporting depending on what type of answer your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ahh but according to mic these cases dont exist cus they aren't in the stats so theres no point in discussing them

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

fritzelly wrote: »
    Another 18 Americans who were passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship test positive for coronavirus after being evacuated to the U.S

Said it before but everyone of them is infected

I think the experience from the ship backs up the decision not to temperature screen or test asymptomatic people at ports. It would be futile, give people a false sense of security, and be a massive waste of resources.

I’d say we’ll see positive tests continue to come from those passengers. The idea that the ship was anything even approaching a quarantine situation was crazy from the start.

the rate is also here, if you look at the closed cases section
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    on the same page with you on the impact of unreported cases, but as they are unreported we will never know

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Seventh death in italy

• Advertisement

the rate is also here, if you look at the closed cases section
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    on the same page with you on the impact of unreported cases, but as they are unreported we will never know

looks like it hasn't plateaued to me from that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement