Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Weird how MMA moves on. This statement would have been laughed at 24 months ago.

Imagine saying back then that Conor couldn't beat a guy that lost to Al Iaquinta.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think people are making the making the mistake of comparing Cowboys chances vrs Conor with Cowboys chances vrs welterweights. The latter is irrelevant.
    Cowboy at Welter weight is stupid on McGregor behalf ,His team have not thought this thorugh very well

Now in this fight McGregor will be much smaller welter weight , It will suit Cowboy down to the ground , he will have a more gas ,better durability and more power than he does at lightweight , plus retain his length advantage he normally losses at welter weight,

Cowboys last 4 losses at this weight are Leon Edwards, Till , Lawlor, Masvidal all former Middle weights and MASSIVE welter weights

Cowboy wins because of the weight this fight is at, McGregor has made a foolish mistake,
    Having the fight at WW has no any impact on Cowboys reach/length? :confused:

This is just two LWs who agreed to not having to cut weight. Cowboy fought at LW a few weeks ago. If he was been away for a year and couldn't make 155, different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Whats the story with the weight ? is it a lower weight class for Conor ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Whats the story with the weight ? is it a lower weight class for Conor ?
    It's 170, it's what he fought Diaz at, so heavier.

He's been doing more weights lately so that may be a factor.
    Previously I remember an interview where he just used his own body weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

All in all, the weight class makes this fight way more interesting.

Not for me. Makes it more of a one off most likely.

• Advertisement

derfderf wrote: »
    Imagine saying back then that Conor couldn't beat a guy that lost to Al Iaquinta.

I thought that fight was a robbery. Masvidal slapped the head off him in the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

bmcc10 wrote: »
    The funniest part of all this is just how overrated Masvidal has become.

Not in the least overrated - on a tear, solid fundamentals without exception, excellent striking with KO power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

it's great to see fight talk back in this thread, but be careful all... .the trolls are back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I think its at 170 for Conor to go for masvidal and the "BMF" belt, Conor wont like that he isn't recognized as the BMF.

If he gets trough Masvidal its a straight shot at the 170 belt (which i think Colby will beat Usman for)

the back and fourth from this will be a huge PPV, IMO the biggest in UFC history.

Either that or

Masvidal - international fight week

ferg or Khabib - Nov in NYC

all saying this is grand its also Conor and he could go missing for another year or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mellor wrote: »
    This is just two LWs who agreed to not having to cut weight.

Ssshh don't be making sense in here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,703 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yay, here come the crowds to tell us how much of a ****heel Conor is, and that he has no chance.
    Wtf are you on about. It's the likes of you that is constantly bickering and ruining threads for the rest of us.
    People have a right to air their opinion whether you like it or not.
    I'm a fan of Conor for many years but I don't like the heel character he has acted as over the past four or so years.
    I want to see Conor win but I'm concerned with him fighting at welterweight. I think he should beat Cowboy but beyond that I'd be very concerned for him at that weight.
    I don't like the fact that it appears he is chasing that worthless belt like some sort of gangsta.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Wtf are you on about. It's the likes of you that is constantly bickering and ruining threads for the rest of us.
    People have a right to air their opinion whether you like it or not.
    I'm a fan of Conor for many years but I don't like the heel character he has acted as over the past four or so years.
    I want to see Conor win but I'm concerned with him fighting at welterweight. I think he should beat Cowboy but beyond that I'd be very concerned for him at that weight.
    I don't like the fact that it appears he is chasing that worthless belt like some sort of gangsta.
    He's fighting at his natural weight, sans weight cut.
    He nearly always weighs 170, or close to it, in fights.
    It's not like he's facing some 200lb welterweight cutting down for it.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Ssshh don't be making sense in here.

Recall Cowboy saying he used to walk around approx 180 for LW - this several years back. It's possible he's over that now. Not a sizeable WW, but a WW nevertheless.

Recall Cowboy saying he used to walk around approx 180 for LW - this several years back. It's possible he's over that now. Not a sizeable WW, but a WW nevertheless.
    Conor walks around at 170, possibly may be more now.
    Most of the lightweights are natural welterweights

He's fighting at his natural weight, sans weight cut.
    He nearly always weighs 170, or close to it, in fights.
    It's not like he's facing some 200lb welterweight cutting down for it.

But it obviously makes a difference in the fight, hence they are fighting sans weight cut. That's why this seems like a pointless thing unless he thinks he can be WW champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

If Cowboy shows up like he did against iaquinta, which I think he will, he is going to stop Conor with ease. Conor is just not tough enough.

Cowboys body kicks are going to have Conor gassing very very quickly.
    He'll go for the takedown then and get subbed pretty soon after. Although id love if Cerrone landed a headkick.

I can't believe how much I want to see McGregor badly beaten and condemned to history. Only a couple of years ago I had so so much admiration for him. I used to feel like I knew him and routed for him so much. I used to be constantly checking for news about him and the lead up to his fights would almost consume me. Now he just fills me with disgust, embarrasses our culture on a worldwide stage, and makes me angry that he fooled me for so long.

Ush1 wrote: »
    But it obviously makes a difference in the fight, hence they are fighting sans weight cut. That's why this seems like a pointless thing unless he thinks he can be WW champ.
    Likely neither fancy having a lean Christmas so decided on a "welterweight" fight so they wouldn't have to cut.

Conor walks around at 170, possibly may be more now.
    Most of the lightweights are natural welterweights

Given the gulf in UFC weight-classes, it's not unusual to have size discrepancy come fight night. If it was boxing, they'd likely naturally be a weight class apart.

It's probably reasonable to say that Cowboy is going to attempt to make the most of something of a size advantage on McGregor.

155 would seem to favour McGregor more for this fight.

eurokev wrote: »
    Only a couple of years ago I had so so much admiration for him. I used to feel like I knew him and routed for him so much. I used to be constantly checking for news about him and the lead up to his fights would almost consume me. Now he just fills me with disgust, embarrasses our culture on a worldwide stage, and makes me angry that he fooled me for so long.

Take a chill pill, man. I've close family members that don't affect me that much.

Likely neither fancy having a lean Christmas so decided on a "welterweight" fight so they wouldn't have to cut.

Possibly but my point is that people who are saying they are just lightweights without a weight cut, so what? Weight cuts make a huge difference and could easily favour one fighter more over another. Same goes for lack of a weight cut.

I'd question there long term motivation also if they just don't want to cut weight because it's Christmas but sure we don't know if that's the case.

• Advertisement

Given the gulf in UFC weight-classes, it's not unusual to have size discrepancy come fight night. If it was boxing, they'd likely naturally be a weight class apart.

It's probably reasonable to say that Cowboy is going to attempt to make the most of something of a size advantage on McGregor.

155 would seem to favour McGregor more for this fight.

He'll have a slight height and reach advantage (I think), doubt he'll have much, if any, of a weight advantage seeing as he's back fighting at 155 so has to keep his weight somewhat in check.
    Possibly but my point is that people who are saying they are just lightweights without a weight cut, so what? Weight cuts make a huge difference and could easily favour one fighter more over another. Same goes for lack of a weight cut.

I'd question there long term motivation also if they just don't want to cut weight because it's Christmas but sure we don't know if that's the case.

Weight cutting sucks balls, especially over Christmas. I imagine that's their main motivation for it.
    They're both in or around the same weight out of camp, so it shouldn't have a huge effect. Both might have a tiny cut to hit 170, but it won't be like Till trying to make it or that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,703 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

McGregor was unstoppable at featherweight, not as strong at lightweight, don't see how welterweight will be good for him.

Weight cutting sucks balls, especially over Christmas. I imagine that's their main motivation for it.
    They're both in or around the same weight out of camp, so it shouldn't have a huge effect. Both might have a tiny cut to hit 170, but it won't be like Till trying to make it or that.

Maybe in terms of the weight difference but it can make a huge difference in the fight. I personally think McGregor looks better with a weight cut, I believe both him and JK have said as much in the past.

Maybe in terms of the weight difference but it can make a huge difference in the fight. I personally think McGregor looks better with a weight cut, I believe both him and JK have said as much in the past.
    I think it's more of a state of mind with him. He'll probably do a small weight cut, similar to Diaz 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

eagle eye wrote: »
    McGregor was unstoppable at featherweight, not as strong at lightweight, don't see how welterweight will be good for him.

Long term, definitely a poor call, but for this I think it's more of a case of them both agreeing to enjoy christmas and not break their balls, I think they're both at their best at 155. It will be really interesting though to see if Cerrone bulks above 170 and cuts down much, to make him noticeably bigger come fight night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

bmcc10 wrote: »
    The funniest part of all this is just how overrated Masvidal has become.

hes a excellent fighter :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Cowboy isn't a 'smart' fighter, McG will trash talk him and mess with his head, just look at cowboy Vs Diaz and how the game plan went out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Oh yes baby its on. It doesnt matter if you are pro or anti Mcgregor the main thing is the entertainment value leading up to this event will be epic. It will be a massive PPV. Im backing Conor for this one but its a close one to call. I cant believe some are posting saying cowboys is a gimme:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Weird how the UFC announced it and not him .Its strange how silent he is. Seems like they are forcing his hand to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Weird how the UFC announced it and not him .Its strange how silent he is. Seems like they are forcing his hand to me

https://touch.boards.ie/forum/576

He annouced January 18th over a month ago btw.

Advertisement