Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Masvidal will take his soul after he takes Nick Diaz soul next

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

ricero wrote: »
    Masvidal will take his soul after he takes Nick Diaz soul next

Nick doesn't fight Nates fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nick doesn't fight Nates fights.
    :confused:
    Nick called out Masvidal a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Mellor wrote: »
    :confused:
    Nick called out Masvidal a few weeks ago.

Did he? Missed that. Apologies.

Carry on with regularly scheduled programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Did he? Missed that. Apologies.

Carry on with regularly scheduled programming.

He did, and Masvidal is all for it. Although it'll probably go the same way it did with Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

So what is the logic behind fighting at 170? Is it because Conor doesn't want to do the weight cut as he'll most likely be around 170 entering the ring for a 155lbs fight? Could it be that Conor is eyeing a 170lbs belt to become a champion at 3 weights
    Can't see a future for him at 170.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

GiftofGab wrote: »
    So what is the logic behind fighting at 170? Is it because Conor doesn't want to do the weight cut as he'll most likely be around 170 entering the ring for a 155lbs fight? Could it be that Conor is eyeing a 170lbs belt to become a champion at 3 weights
    Can't see a future for him at 170.

Well I hope its not to avoid a weight cut. That's not a great start to a comeback.

macnug wrote: »
    Well I hope its not to avoid a weight cut. That's not a great start to a comeback.
    It'll either be so he can enjoy Christmas and actually eat food.
    Or make a point to Dana that he can fight at 170.

I think it's the first one myself.

Nothing wrong with not wanting to cut weight anyway, it should be done away with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Christmas day is over three weeks away from the 18th.

When do they usually start their cut, I thought it was around 2 weeks or 10 days myself.

So the dates don't really add up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Christmas day is over three weeks away from the 18th.

When do they usually start their cut, I thought it was around 2 weeks or 10 days myself.

So the dates don't really add up.

Healthily it’s be a pound or two a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

BDI wrote: »

surely that rate isn’t actually a weight cut?

Is it not the case that to get advantage you do most of your training at higher weight that you expect to be at on fight night, and then lose the weight in a concentrated fashion close to the weigh-in so your body can rebound back to normal levels upon rehydration.

Doing it at such a slow level as you suggest sounds to me like it wouldn’t be as beneficial post weigh-in?

Weight cuts aren’t supposed to be healthy, they’re supposed to either give an advantage or nullify the opponents advantage...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

BDI wrote: »
    That’s body fat. The majority of weight cutting for a weigh-in is water. It would be in the order of 15-20 lbs over about a week. Completely unrelated.

Depend on condition, a fighter might drop some mass over intensity of a camp prior to the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

GiftofGab wrote:
    So what is the logic behind fighting at 170? Is it because Conor doesn't want to do the weight cut as he'll most likely be around 170 entering the ring for a 155lbs fight? Could it be that Conor is eyeing a 170lbs belt to become a champion at 3 weights Can't see a future for him at 170.
    I think he wants to fight for that stupid new belt.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    It'll either be so he can enjoy Christmas and actually eat food.
    Or make a point to Dana that he can fight at 170.

I think it's the first one myself.

Nothing wrong with not wanting to cut weight anyway, it should be done away with.

I agree but it shows a lack of commitment imo, if its the first reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

You can’t get out of bed in silk pyjamas at 5am when you’re already rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hes too big for 155 these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

macnug wrote:

The Nal wrote:
    Hes too big for 155 these days.

Do you guys just make up stuff in your own heads and dismiss all information available to you?
    He says he wants to fight for the stupid bmf belt. The current holder of that belt is a welterweight. If he wins at welter he has a shot at getting that fight.
    The man is a professional athlete who got to the top of the tree, you don't do that if you are lazy or lack commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

eagle eye wrote: »
    The man is a professional athlete who got to the top of the tree, you don't do that if you are lazy or lack commitment.

Lucky shot knocking out Joze Aldro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Effects wrote: »

Have you actually ever managed to spell a fighters name correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I agree. He hit Edy Alforez with about 20 lucky shots too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    I agree. He hit Edy Alforez with about 20 lucky shots too.

Neight Adidas got lucky in their first fight with the rnc too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Neight Adidas got lucky in their first fight with the rnc too

Nike Adidas is coming out of retirement to fight MasVidal Sassoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Jose Aldo had never been knocked out before that, and McGregor had an utterly insane KO rate at Featherweight. It wasn't some random freak event remotely to the extent some people make it out to be. McGregor has 18 KO's in 21 wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

Looking forward to this.
    I wonder what changes Conor has made to camp this time round

Do you guys just make up stuff in your own heads and dismiss all information available to you?
    He says he wants to fight for the stupid bmf belt. The current holder of that belt is a welterweight. If he wins at welter he has a shot at getting that fight.

Well considering he admitted to not giving Khabib his best and hasn't fought in so long, its not really that far fetched for him to be thinking that way.

He could have fought cowboy at 55 and still got a fight with Jorge. **** im sure Jorge would have fought him at 55 too for the pay day. Its not like the bmf has a weight division.

We really need a sarcasm or joking font around here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Looking forward to this.
    I wonder what changes Conor has made to camp this time round

He should bring back ido portal , he was much better when he was playing touch butt in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Do you just glance over posts and not read them?

I was defending Conor here. Hes not lazy. Hes put on a lot of muscle in the last year, hence why hes too big for 155. Hes been working his arse off and is very committed.

He doesnt need that cringe belt. If he beats Cerrone he'll fight the winner of Khabib/Tony in July.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think he wants to fight for that stupid new belt.

The SNB as I think it should be called from now on :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I only really watch the fights and don’t really get involved in the news or hype. I thought that BMF belt was a joke. It’s so like wwe it’s laughable.

Advertisement