Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I'd never heard of Donald Cerrone, but looking forward to the **** talk anyway in the weeks up to it!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

some lads are never happy , hes back and its not a title fight and thats correct.
    now people saying hes looking for a handy one ? this is not handy at all,
    alot on the line , if he loses this hes good as finished in talk of title fights for a long time.
    Dont get the 170 thing and surprised at the short notice and ufc only getting a small timeframe to promote it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The only reason I can see behind welterweight is he wants Masvidal after this. Otherwise 155 with Justin was the only fight to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

weemcd wrote: »
    I'm lumping on Cerrone by sub if the price is right. The blueprint to beat McGregor is there if you get past two rounds.

At Welterweight I think Cerrone's size and regular activity pay dividends. I definitely think McGregor has bitten off more than he can chew with this one, what kinda shape is he in?
    the blueprint for cerrone is even easier just keep going for the kidneys and watch him drop as he always does..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't like to see Conor at WW, not sure he'll have ko power at that weight.
    Thats the weight he usually is in the cage for most of his fights..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

One thing we can all agree on is god bless Axwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

So does this put an end to all the allegations?
    Would hardly get another fight if he was the 'famous irish sports star'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

JJayoo wrote: »

course not, you think a cash cow like the MMA gives an actual **** about allegations even if they are solid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Effects wrote: »
    I'm hoping Cerrone wins this one myself.

It'll be Conors last fight in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

His gas tank at 170 will be interesting.
    I'm sure he'll be looking to take out cowboy within the opening 2 rounds, if he doesn't, he'll be in an uncomfortable situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

course not, you think a cash cow like the MMA gives an actual **** about allegations even if they are solid ?

I think there is a line that not even Dana would cross, especially with how the UFC loved to get mainstream media attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

JJayoo wrote: »

Papers report on allegations and arrests. Not so much on when things are tidied up behind the scenes.

to be honest, from what we've seen of McGregor in the last few years, *any* fight would be a test for him,

What have you seen from him the past few years? He demolished Alvarez and then put up a decent enough fight against an undefeated champion, who no one has come close to beating.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Esse85 wrote: »
    His gas tank at 170 will be interesting.
    I'm sure he'll be looking to take out cowboy within the opening 2 rounds, if he doesn't, he'll be in an uncomfortable situation.

His gas tank held out pretty well in the second Diaz fight and in the first he was lumping everything into his punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Perfect matchmaking this. Conor been out of action for too long to go straight in against a top 5 LW. Cowboy is still a huge name in MMA and this will sell a heap of PPVs. Conor will be favourite but only a small one in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,580 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

His gas tank held out pretty well in the second Diaz fight and in the first he was lumping everything into his punches.

Cowboy at Welter weight is stupid on McGregor behalf ,His team have not thought this thorugh very well

This might sound silly but Cowboy is a much better version of himself at welter weight than light weight but the problem for Cowboy is the welter weights he has fought are massive compare to him and to powerful

He is way to drained at light weight but welter weight he just doesn't have the size and power for the top dogs,165 would be ideal weight for him ,

Now in this fight McGregor will be much smaller welter weight , It will suit Cowboy down to the ground , he will have a more gas ,better durability and more power than he does at lightweight , plus retain his length advantage he normally losses at welter weight,

Cowboys last 4 losses at this weight are Leon Edwards, Till , Lawlor, Masvidal all former Middle weights and MASSIVE welter weights

Cowboy wins because of the weight this fight is at, McGregor has made a foolish mistake,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Cowboy at Welter weigh is stupid on McGregor behalf His team have not thought this thorugh very well

This might sound silly but Cowboy is a much better version of himself at welter weight than light weight but the problem for Cowboy is the welter weights he has fought are massive compare to him and to powerful

He is way to drained at light weight but welter weight he just doesn't have the size and power for the top dogs,165 would be ideal weight for him ,

Now in this fight McGregor will be much smaller welter weight , It will suit Cowboy down to the ground , he will have a more gas ,better durability and more power than he does at lightweight , plus retain his length advantage he normally losses at welter weight,

Cowboys last 4 losses at this weight are Leon Edwards, Till , Lawlor, Masvidal all former Middle weights and MASSIVE welter weights

Cowboy wins because of the weight this fight is at, McGregor has made a foolish mistake,

Agree with most of that but Masvidal is a blown up lightweight. He's not a massive welter and even looked small compared to Nate Diaz.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Agree with most of that but Masvidal is a blown up lightweight. He's not a massive welter and even looked small compared to Nate Diaz.

Sorry my bad you are correct about Masvidal , I should have said bar Masvidal , I think he is an average Welter weight size wise, He was much more powerful than Diaz ,

there must be some method to his madness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Homelander

I honestly cannot understand welterweight either. His power won't go as far. Should be a good fight but it's not a coaster job like some people are making out, he could very easily get battered by cowboy at ww.

• Advertisement

he couldnt be stupid enough to think he can take on masvidal if he wins this?

Cowboy at Welter weight is stupid on McGregor behalf ,His team have not thought this thorugh very well.

He has to have thought this through properly. And it's surely his decision to take the fight at WW, no one else's.
    sc86 wrote: »

He didn't get where he is by doubting his ability to take on fighters.

Effects wrote: »
    He has to have thought this through properly. And it's surely his decision to take the fight at WW, no one else's.

He didn't get where he is by doubting his ability to take on fighters.

It possible he pushed and pushed the UFC for a fight in January as he keeps saying he wants back in asap and with the late announcement ( reported Cowboy hasn't signed yet but will) that Cowboy said yes but he can't drop the weight in time,

Could be true or could be tactical on Cowboys part to get McGregor at a weight that he thinks he has a better chance , Don't forget McGregor is the type to say **** it ill fight you at whatever weight,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Connor will land on Cerrone and could well knock him out in the early rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

All in all, the weight class makes this fight way more interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

John_D80 wrote: »
    Wow. I can’t believe I actually just read this.

So you will grudgingly give him your support in order for you to feel justified in continuing to hate him??

LOL Seriously mate, have a good look at yourself.

Relax, you moron, it was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

sc86 wrote: »

Weird how MMA moves on. This statement would have been laughed at 24 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Relax, you moron, it was a joke.

You'll have to explain that one for me.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Weird how MMA moves on. This statement would have been laughed at 24 months ago.

very true , one stock has rose dramatically , one has nose dived

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

The funniest part of all this is just how overrated Masvidal has become.

Advertisement