Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Weird how the UFC announced it and not him .Its strange how silent he is. Seems like they are forcing his hand to me

He announced he was fighting on January 18th a month ago. He seemed like he was hyped for it as well. Not sure how your getting this. The ufc haven’t got the power to force his hand anymore. His whiskey sales alone in the US would keep him minted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

eagle eye wrote: »
    Wtf are you on about. It's the likes of you that is constantly bickering and ruining threads for the rest of us.
    People have a right to air their opinion whether you like it or not.
    I'm a fan of Conor for many years but I don't like the heel character he has acted as over the past four or so years.
    I want to see Conor win but I'm concerned with him fighting at welterweight. I think he should beat Cowboy but beyond that I'd be very concerned for him at that weight.
    I don't like the fact that it appears he is chasing that worthless belt like some sort of gangsta.

Ah, EE, you know I meant the people that don't frequent the MMA forum at all, or the troll low post count lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

He announced he was fighting on January 18th a month ago. He seemed like he was hyped for it as well. Not sure how your getting this. The ufc haven’t got the power to force his hand anymore. His whiskey sales alone in the US would keep him minted.

Nothing from him at all when it was officially announced and his opponent was announced who is coming off a number of losses. Seems fishy to me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

JJayoo wrote: »
    Cowboy isn't a 'smart' fighter, McG will trash talk him and mess with his head, just look at cowboy Vs Diaz and how the game plan went out the window

That was 8 years ago.

He's seen what McGregor does and has been on the receiving end of it before, at that big press conference, so he should be much more equipped for it. At this stage McGregor's trash talk is boring. Khabib rose to it as, I suppose the best way to put it is that his people trigger easily in the Western World. Slagging someone's Dad in this part of the world is playground stuff, in Dagestan seemingly it's actually pretty serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

bmcc10 wrote: »
    The funniest part of all this is just how overrated Masvidal has become.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Weird how the UFC announced it and not him .Its strange how silent he is. Seems like they are forcing his hand to me
    He was hinting at it for quite a while but said he could not reveal anything. Cowboy put up a picture of himself with a bottle of proper and I believe Conor retweeted it. This was over a month ago.

Worthwhile throwing up this glorious combo gif of Cerrone. At 170 as well.

QJ29INU.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Cerrone looks good standing against guys that have poor striking (see Rick Storey gif above) and when you look through his wins there's not many accomplished strikers (Barboza one of the very few, won by sub in round 1).

McGregor is going to back him up and pick him off against the fence and when Cowboy does throw back, he's going to miss and be countered. If he survives long enough to accept his striking isn't up to it against McGregor's he'll start shooting but it'll be too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

CatFromHue wrote: »
    That was 8 years ago.

He's seen what McGregor does and has been on the receiving end of it before, at that big press conference, so he should be much more equipped for it. At this stage McGregor's trash talk is boring. Khabib rose to it as, I suppose the best way to put it is that his people trigger easily in the Western World. Slagging someone's Dad in this part of the world is playground stuff, in Dagestan seemingly it's actually pretty serious.

Should be, but a Conor presser against an opponent is an onslaught, it's something that he's good at. Well, used to be. I reckon there won't be the same venom against Cerrone, Khabib was the upstart taking his limelight as the "Killer prospect."

And if you started having a pop at peoples parents around here like that, you wouldn't be long about getting a jab about the ears all the same. It's playground stuff, and that was by no means his wittiest/funniest, and didn't work out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

'Smell of ****e off yer da' really was one for the ages. What a witticism.

• Advertisement

Fromvert wrote: »
    Cerrone looks good standing against guys that have poor striking (see Rick Storey gif above) and when you look through his wins there's not many accomplished strikers (Barboza one of the very few, won by sub in round 1).

McGregor is going to back him up and pick him off against the fence and when Cowboy does throw back, he's going to miss and be countered. If he survives long enough to accept his striking isn't up to it against McGregor's he'll start shooting but it'll be too late.

HIs striking wasn't really up to scratch against Khabib. I think those "elite" days of striking are gone now. His speed will suffer as well at 170

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Gintonious wrote: »
    HIs striking wasn't really up to scratch against Khabib. I think those "elite" days of striking are gone now. His speed will suffer as well at 170
    The speed may have slowed down a tad but he still has that power. Poirier was asked recently who was the hardest hitting opponent he ever faced and he said something like 'Conor. And it's not even close'. And that was at 145.

Pighead wrote: »
    The speed may have slowed down a tad but he still has that power. Poirier was asked recently who was the hardest hitting opponent he ever faced and he said something like 'Conor. And it's not even close'. And that was at 145.

"Precision beats power", who said that again?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

"Precision beats power", who said that again?

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I think Conor will beat Cowboy. As with most I am not a fan of his but I still think at 170 he will still have a significant speed advantage over Cerrone. UFC needs him to make a come back, even as a hated 'heel' he is such a huge draw and UFC doesn't have a guy like that any more that brings in the casual fans. Everyone will watch just to root against him. But he relishes the heel role, and this isn't an opponent on par with Khabib, who I don't think Conor will ever beat if a rematch even happens.

Should be a good fight though.

Different opponents, Khabib's the best in the division and is the best grappler in the division so McGregor had to respect the takedowns which affects his ability to strike. No such worries against Cerrone who is an ok grappler with the ability to hit submissions.

I think McGregor will be able to stuff any takedowns Cerrone does go for but dont think Cerrone will go for them. He'll stand and lose for doing do.

Fromvert wrote: »
    Different opponents, Khabib's the best in the division and is the best grappler in the division so McGregor had to respect the takedowns which affects his ability to strike. No such worries against Cerrone who is an ok grappler with the ability to hit submissions.

I think McGregor will be able to stuff any takedowns Cerrone does go for but dont think Cerrone will go for them. He'll stand and lose for doing do.

And Khabib put McGregor on his arse with that peace of a dig in the second. If a grappler can do that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

And Khabib put McGregor on his arse with that peace of a dig in the second. If a grappler can do that...

Any fighter clips a fighter clean they will rattle them. Khabib is as strong as an ox man.
    Anyway. Conor starches him rd 1. Looking forward to it. Have a lot of respect for cowboy and glad he will make loads of cash. He will and can be dangerous but until he goes straight to the mat, he is toast.

Yes because he's facing a grappler, grappler's landing big overhands/hooks is nothing new. Keep your hands lower because of the clinch/shot that's coming so you leave yourself open. Against Cerrone this isnt an issue. Cerrone gets tko'd quick enough in this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Technique-wise it wasn't exactly a peach, I'd say it was a decent shot that knocked McGregor down but I don't see Gaethje or Lee getting caught with it. He was too focussed on the grappling ability, rather than focussing on his striking strengths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eagle eye wrote: »
    McGregor was unstoppable at featherweight, not as strong at lightweight, don't see how welterweight will be good for him.

McGregor v Cowboy at LW, they get into the cage at 170-175.

McGregor v Cowboy at WW, they get into the cage at 170-180.

The difference is marginal

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Mellor wrote: »
    McGregor v Cowboy at LW, they get into the cage at 170-175.

McGregor v Cowboy at WW, they get into the cage at 170-180.

The difference is marginal

Marginal relative to what? Not relative to power, stamina etc. Every fighter has an optimum weight.

It's already about making marginal gains wherever possible. Cross that threshold and you give up something.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

This comeback fight is an embarrassment, cowboy cerrone is a bait bag , I feel sorry for him, he's like an old dog that you fucck into pit just to get a pit bull to draw blood, as somebody said cowboy is a few slaps away from murdering his family. Don't try to hype this shhitsow up, I know some of ye are excited but jesus it's some fall from grace.

Marginal relative to what? Not relative to power, stamina etc. Every fighter has an optimum weight.

It's already about making marginal gains wherever possible. Cross that threshold and you give up something.
    I’m aware every fighter has an optimal weight. But if their weights are the same in there, how does it make a difference?

They are just removing the weight cut, they aren’t actually moving up to WW.
    One guy was even talking about longer reach. I’ve never seen a weight cut shrink someone’s arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Tony Khabib is done and if by some miracle, the fight actually takes place, best case scenario for me would Tony to win by elbows, Conor to easily handle Cowboy for a quick turn around and fight Tony for the LW belt during international fight week.

I'd love to see Conor v Tony and this is the best way it could happen.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Tony Khabib is done and if by some miracle, the fight actually takes place, best case scenario for me would Tony to win by elbows, Conor to easily handle Cowboy for a quick turn around and fight Tony for the LW belt during international fight week.

I'd love to see Conor v Tony and this is the best way it could happen.

Allegedly, Conor wants to fight 3 times this year. And expects the third to be Khabib. Second fight around July could be Gaethje or Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭robwen

Mellor wrote: »
    Allegedly, Conor wants to fight 3 times this year. And expects the third to be Khabib. Second fight around July could be Gaethje or Tony.

His alleged 3 fight plan involved the second being for the BMF belt

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

If fights Masvidal in the 2nd fight, there will be no 3rd fight. I hope he didn't go down that route but if he wins handy against cowboy, then i believe he thinks he will be fine at WW against Jorge.

robwen wrote: »
    His alleged 3 fight plan involved the second being for the BMF belt
    The BMF belt was novelty. But in terms big event fights to make. Conor v Jorge is up there.
    Jorge is the path to a Nate rubber match.
    Gaethje is the path to Khabib.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Would Masvidal fight him at 155? I'd be interested in seeing that but I think both at 170, Masvidal would be way too much for him to handle.

Advertisement