Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Ireland has a rape culture”

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭alswearengen

I don't care how un-pc it is to say, but I love raping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

We may have a problem with rape it’s in accurate to label it a culture.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/rape-statistics-by-country/

Underreporting of the issue has been a huge issue here as in other countries. Hopefully this will change with brave victims speaking out like the woman on the Late Late Show last night.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I don't care how un-pc it is to say, but I love raping.

That's not un-pc, it's just childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭piplip87

Let's give the feminists and the #ibelieveher crowd what they want. Let's lock up any man accused of rape and don't even bother with trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We have a rape culture because this woman was raped?

Thats stretching things a bit is it not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Rapists are scum, 99% of men agree with this.

For this so called rape culture to exist the majority of men would feel it's ok to rape women, this isn't the case so it's just another term put out there by man hating radfems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

Certainly there would seem to be a rape culture in prisons as they experience the highest rates of rape(according to savi report)

Imagine being jailed wrongly by a person who falsely accuses you of rape, only to end up in prison to get raped.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

85% of people who commit sexual assaults are known to their victims
    https://www.rapecrisis.ie/statistics.html

Attack rapes are uncommon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

biko wrote: »
    85% of people who commit sexual assaults are known to their victims
    https://www.rapecrisis.ie/statistics.html

Attack rapes are uncommon

I would never trust anything from the rape crisis tbh and I would be very interested where all their funding goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Presumably we also have a shoplifting culture? and a violent assault culture? Probably 50 other cultures too.

We are very cultured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Presumably we also have a shoplifting culture? and a violent assault culture?.

There's a very specific culture in Ireland that caters to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭noel1980

"Consent classes should be given in primary schools, she believes."

I'm not belittling this woman's experience, but when she suggests **** like this, I tune out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

How many guys was she expecting to propose to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I would have thought we're more a paedo culture given we were mad into that for so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ireland doesn't have a pedo culture, the catholic church does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Irish Times circulation is nosediving so the editors and marketing whizz kids have decided that they should aim at a new target market - the man-hating, abortion loving, immigrant loving, #metoo career female (of both genders, or none).

It's a brave move and I wish them the best of luck with it, because they'll never get another cent from me - and I had been a loyal customer for most of my adult life up to a few years ago when I got fed up of the interminable PC sh1te and re-printed Guardian crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Portsalon wrote: »
    Irish Times circulation is nosediving so the editors and marketing whizz kids have decided that they should aim at a new target market - the man-hating, abortion loving, immigrant loving, #metoo career female (of both genders, or none).

It's a brave move and I wish them the best of luck with it, because they'll never get another cent from me - and I had been a loyal customer for most of my adult life up to a few years ago when I got fed up of the interminable PC sh1te and re-printed Guardian crap.

Do you reckon enough people disagree with your way of thinking to make it profitable for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

sucking the teat of Twitter is really the last hurrah for the likes of the Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Homelander

I do have a problem with articles like this though. They're lazy. Rape happens, so Ireland has a rape culture? Conviction rates are low - same as other countries - which is apparent proof of a rape culture. The vast majority of men and women understand perfectly that rape is a disgusting, abhorrent thing without needing instruction. If you want real rape culture, there are other countries in which rape is much more common, and such claims from women taken far less seriously.... if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ehh that was always their market

• Advertisement

The Paddy Jackson trial highlighted some of this. Before the verdict, the majority of my male friends believed she made it up and he was innocent without knowing much of the details. I'm not sure if you can call that rape culture but this prevailing attitude is a problem.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Do you reckon enough people disagree with your way of thinking to make it profitable for them?

It doesn't really matter what I reckon! the marketing/editorial whizzkids think that it's the way to go and so long as the advertisers agree then everything will be hunky dory.

They don't appear to need my grey euros and I certainly don't need their interminable rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

The Paddy Jackson trial highlighted some of this. Before the verdict, the majority of my male friends believed she made it up and he was innocent without knowing much of the details. I'm not sure if you can call that rape culture but this prevailing attitude is a problem.

:rolleyes:

And afterward there are plenty who still believe him guilty and treat him as such, despite him being quickly found not guilty by a jury who saw all of the evidence and testimonies.

You could equally call this prevailing attitude a problem.

And the calls for believe all women,believing one sex over the other based purely on their sexual appendage.

Cant be very much money to be made from a non existent group.

I've never come across anyone thats "abortion-loving"

Wanting to have a choice about your own body isnt "abortion loving". No one wants to have to have an abortion and to go on with that ****e isnt doing anyones point of view any good. It just makes people that come out with stuff like that sound like *****.

TBH, people , and moreso men, that have such militant opinions on women and how that should have to live their lives are more than a bit odd.

Mokuba wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

And afterward there are plenty who still believe him guilty and treat him as such, despite him being quickly found not guilty by a jury who saw all of the evidence and testimonies.

And the calls for believe all women,believing one sex over the other based purely on their sexual appendage.

Yes absolutely. Our arguments are not at odds here. I was purely talking about early in the trial.

In fact I was alluding to the bold part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

They don't appear to need my grey euros

I guess so. Happens to every generation I guess. Times change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

As someone who travels internationally our attitudes towards woman and sex are much more matured in ways but it can depend on the part of society you talk to.

Do we have a rape culture though ? I don't believe so despite best efforts by a part of society to demonize men. We are by no means perfect though but I don't believe all men go out thinking about their next victim.

I always wonder what the end game of such articles like these are, do they want punitive laws on just men? Segregation?

People can form opinions based on what information is out there though. Did you ask them exactly how much or how little they read?

From the other side of it, theres a lot of people who condemn him on the grounds of what they believe they read he said in his messages. Despite only 1 of his being in there. The whole chat is attributed to him.
    The whole thing is landed on his shoulders because he was the most famous. There seems to be fairly little of Stuart Olding mentioned and I doubt the vast majority can name the other 2 defendants in the trial without looking it up.

Cant be very much money to be made from a non existent group.

I've never come across anyone thats "abortion-loving"

Wanting to have a choice about your own body isnt "abortion loving". No one wants to have to have an abortion and to go on with that ****e isnt doing anyones point of view any good. It just makes people that come out with stuff like that sound like *****.

TBH, people , and moreso men, that have such militant opinions on women and how that should have to live their lives are more than a bit odd.

Great post. I trust you'll not be offended if I add you to my ignore list?

My remaining life is far too short to be wasted on reading such drivel.

• Advertisement

Great post. I trust you'll not be offended if I add you to my ignore list?

How can I be offended by something that doesnt affect me and I wont know about?

There might be a lesson in there for a few people.........

Advertisement