Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Ireland has a rape culture”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

How can I be offended by something that doesnt affect me and I wont know about?

Although they felt the need to tell you :) think it might be affecting them more than you

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

I think metoo tag has been hijecked by some attention seekers. Real victims are still suffering without social support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Do you reckon enough people disagree with your way of thinking to make it profitable for them?

Their aim is not just to capture the people who agree also to capture the strongly disagreening people.

There is the trite use of the new buzz words along with the emotive story.

The report is easy to stir outrage without any depth of thinking.

No attempt to explore why the victim made the choice not to report the crime or the journey to speaking out (< This would be journalism)

Instead cause a sh1tstorm and clickbait from people who don't agree al la "pink news on twitter" and generate revenue of the ensuing "debate" if it gains outrage reaction / goes viral.

Rinse and repeat over and over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Although they felt the need to tell you :) think it might be affecting them more than you

Did you have to quote him? :mad: Ruined my mid-morning snack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭TheDavester

noel1980 wrote: »
    "Consent classes should be given in primary schools, she believes."

I'm not belittling this woman's experience, but when she suggests **** like this, I tune out

this is the one who only got about 15 at her paddy jackson protest a few weeks back isnt it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

this is the one who only got about 15 at her paddy jackson protest a few weeks back isnt it

She’s some social democrat from Kildare. Have a look at her Twitter feed.

Moaning about gender balances in the Dail, the rise of the “alt right”, rape culture, hate crime legislation...

Someone drank all of the SJW kool aid.

Mother of Jesus is this what we’re electing in? If we are, we’re doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Portsalon wrote: »
    Irish Times circulation is nosediving so the editors and marketing whizz kids have decided that they should aim at a new target market - the man-hating, abortion loving, immigrant loving, #metoo career female (of both genders, or none).

It's a brave move and I wish them the best of luck with it, because they'll never get another cent from me - and I had been a loyal customer for most of my adult life up to a few years ago when I got fed up of the interminable PC sh1te and re-printed Guardian crap.

Women make up 80% of consumer spending and consume infinitely more media , particularly online than men. When your business model is ad regenue supported having controversial or shocking articles and ones that soecifically target women is good business sadly.

This won’t be going away any time soon sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭TheDavester

She’s some social democrat from Kildare. Have a look at her Twitter feed.

Moaning about gender balances in the Dail, the rise of the “alt right”, rape culture, hate crime legislation...

Someone drank all of the SJW kool aid.

Mother of Jesus is this what we’re electing in? If we are, we’re doomed.

dont forget comedian.....she's having a meltdown threatening defamation on the times FB posts over people disagreeing with her..she had a simlar one a few weeks ago on the 96fm posts about Paddy

dont forget comedian.....she's having a meltdown threatening defamation on the times FB posts over people disagreeing with her..she had a simlar one a few weeks ago on the 96fm posts about Paddy

Ah the trifecta is complete!

Comedian
    SJW
    Politics

I’d say her stand up would have you rolling in the aisles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Ah so is this a veiled attempt at publicity ahead of an upcoming election ?

Be quite sick if that was the case.

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    Ah so is this a veiled attempt at publicity ahead of an upcoming election ?

Be quite sick if that was not the case.

She LOVES attention. Absolutely craves it.

People can form opinions based on what information is out there though. Did you ask them exactly how much or how little they read?

Yes people form opinions, I found that men too often come to the opinion that the allegation is somehow fraudulent. If that's what they mean by rape culture (an absolutely awful term that belittles a heinous crime), then we may have evidence of that culture.

From the other side of it, theres a lot of people who condemn him on the grounds of what they believe they read he said in his messages. Despite only 1 of his being in there. The whole chat is attributed to him.
    The whole thing is landed on his shoulders because he was the most famous. There seems to be fairly little of Stuart Olding mentioned and I doubt the vast majority can name the other 2 defendants in the trial without looking it up.

Absolutely valid but its whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

She LOVES attention. Absolutely craves it.

So you start a thread about her?

Seems legit.

Boggles wrote: »
    So you start a thread about her?

Seems legit.

I actually didn’t realize it was the same headbanger as before until it was mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Women make up 80% of consumer spending and consume infinitely more media , particularly online than men. When your business model is ad regenue supported having controversial or shocking articles and ones that soecifically target women is good business sadly.

This won’t be going away any time soon sadly

In my opinion you are half right.

The business model that all these Media companies have is outdated, what we are witnessing is the last roll of the dice...they'll all be gone in the next 10 years, probably 5!

The problem with this narrative is that while it might be consistent with other media outlets and it might reflect the prevailing beliefs of heavy twitter users, they are in the minority.

Most sensible women, that I know at any rate, are well aware of how nuanced these dangerous situations are, how difficult they can be to determine who was in the wrong....the difficulties the legal sector is having with dealing with these cases is reflected in that, remember, female majority juries are most likely not to convict in a rape case.

I can't stress enough how much sympathy I have for a woman who has subjected to rape, there is a very good reason why it is the 2nd most serious crime on our statute books, but if we are going to talk about rape victims, in a balanced world we must also talk about the victims of false rape accusations.

There was a trial in Cork last year, just before the Paddy Jackson trial, where two performers who had just appeared in The Marquee were subjected to what can only be described as a false rape accusation...it must of been horrific for them and their families to experience such a thing!

There is no easy way for public discourse to handle the victims of both crimes, it is beyond the capabilities of our media organisations to provide balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Thankfully Ireland is not nearly as bad as progressive Sweden (now with female-only music festivals, due to the real fear of mass assault).

Nor, not (yet) as bad as the heart of Europe (Germany) whereby 2,200 men assualted 1,000 women (600 in Cologne, 400 in Hamburg), 24rapes reported, and numerous thefts. All on a single night.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/cologne-new-years-eve-mass-sex-attacks-leaked-document-a7130476.html

Z7WHCfZ.png
    Similar incidents (maybe not seen since the Vikings) were reported across Frankfurt, Studdgart, Dusseldorf etc on NYE 15-16.

Think Paddy Mc' has already been brought into line thanks to years of RCC oppression, skinny jeans (tights), Jillete woke adverts, and regular reminders of his guilt-laden privileges.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sarcozies

It's worse than just a culture. The very laws of this state preclude the ability of a woman to rape a man.

There are men today in Ireland who have been the victims of such heinous acts that is only rivaled by the incredulity of the state and it's government.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

NIMAN wrote:
    We have a rape culture because this woman was raped?

I really don't believe Ireland has a tape culture,India, South Africa etc have we're hopefully galaxies away from them

Rapists are scum, 99% of men agree with this.

Correct

It’s funny you should mention Sweden...and gang rape and sexual violence.

What are those white men doing in that country?

Leaving or talking about it and being called racists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It’s funny you should mention Sweden...and gang rape and sexual violence.

What are those white men doing in that country?

Actually finding out what the real situation is?
    https://www.thelocal.se/20190529/increase-in-swedens-rape-statistics-cant-be-tied-to-refugee-influx-study-suggests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

biko wrote: »
    Ireland doesn't have a pedo culture, the catholic church does.

And now our Govt is actively importing another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rapists are scum, 99% of men agree with this.

I'd like to think its higher than 99%.

If 1% of the male population thought rapists weren't scumbags, I'd be worried.

But I get your point.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    And now our Govt is actively importing another one.

This is it, the left , so outraged by a lack of a rape culture are determined to import one so in decades to come they can say ‘we tried to warn you’

alastair wrote: »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45269764

Yeah ok, it's going up year on year and so is the % of migrants doing it, so much so it's being covered up.

Also wikipedia:
    In August 2018, SVT reported that rape statistics in Sweden show that 58% of men convicted of rape and attempted rape over the past five years were immigrants born outside of the European Union: Southern Africans, Northern Africans, Arabs, Middle Easterns, and Afghans.[11][12] Swedish Television's investigating journalists found that in cases where the victims didn't know the attackers, the proportion of foreign-born sex offenders was more than 80%.[11] The number of rapes reported to the authorities in Sweden significantly increased[4] by 10% in 2017,[13][14] according to latest preliminary figures from the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention.[13][14] The number of reported rape cases was 73 per 100,000 citizens in 2017, up 24% in the past decade.[14] Official numbers show that the incidence of sexual offences is on the rise;[4][11][14] the Swedish Government has declared that young women are facing the greatest risks and that most of the cases go unreported.[4]

rape-stats.png

But I guess your rinky dink leftist website is accurate and my sources are "fake news".

Please explain why ethnitcy is no longer recorded in their crime stats? Or why the media and police covered up rapes of Swedish girls by migrants at music festivals?

The majority of rapes in Sweden are committed by migrants. You can read that on the BBC.

The police didn’t cover up any rapes at festivals in Sweden, nor did the media. And those arrested for the festival rapes were not predominantly migrants.

And no - you’ve no idea who commits the majority of rapes in Sweden. The figures referred to in the BBC relate to 2% of reported rapes. Slightly over half of that 2% were not Swedish-born.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45269764

Yeah ok, it's going up year on year and so is the % of migrants doing it, so much so it's being covered up.

Also wikipedia:

rape-stats.png

But I guess your rinky dink leftist website is accurate and my sources are "fake news".

My ‘rinky dink leftist website’ is the Swedish National Council on Crime Prevention; part of the Swedish Civil Service.

Your pie accounts for 2% of reported rapes in Sweden. Nobody is covering anything up. Where did you get your information from?

There's a very specific culture in Ireland that caters to that.

Be careful they'll ban you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd like to think its higher than 99%.

If 1% of the male population thought rapists weren't scumbags, I'd be worried.

But I get your point.

Perhaps 1% of the male population of Ireland is from countries/cultures where rape is not be considered to be a particularly despicable act. The sort of places where raped women are sometimes prosecuted for the "crime" of allowing themselves to be raped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

This is it, the left , so outraged by a lack of a rape culture are determined to import one so in decades to come they can say ‘we tried to warn you’

Yep. They're importing all the hate and violence to carry on peddling their agenda while still pointing the fingers at White Men.

Advertisement