Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Ireland has a rape culture”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Yep. They're importing all the hate and violence to carry on peddling their agenda while still pointing the fingers at White Men.

You forgot to mention Soros. I nearly had a line in wingnut bingo! 😠

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Portsalon wrote: »
    Irish Times circulation is nosediving so the editors and marketing whizz kids have decided that they should aim at a new target market - the man-hating, abortion loving, immigrant loving, #metoo career female (of both genders, or none).

It's a brave move and I wish them the best of luck with it, because they'll never get another cent from me - and I had been a loyal customer for most of my adult life up to a few years ago when I got fed up of the interminable PC sh1te and re-printed Guardian crap.

You people are so poisonous, it's incredible.

'Man-hating' - you can't stand it that women actually have rights and that men sometimes (sometimes being the key word here) end up paying for their criminal acts against women

'abortion loving' - you can't stand it that women are allowed to decide what happens to their own bodies and would prefer for them to have children they can't cope with, even in cases of rape or serious health issues, than have any say in the matter

'immigrant loving' - just say you're a racist and a xenophobe and hate anyone not like you

#metoo - yeah, just take a hashtag aimed at raising awareness of how common sexual assault/harassment is and insinuate that it's some kind of attack on men

career female - you think women aren't actual real people with rent and bills to pay just like men. God forbid any woman would want a life that doesn't revolve around raising children and cleaning the house.

Why don't you try the Daily Mail? Plenty of your sort over on their comment section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

'Man-hating' - you can't stand it that women actually have rights and that men sometimes (sometimes being the key word here) end up paying for their criminal acts against women

'abortion loving' - you can't stand it that women are allowed to decide what happens to their own bodies and would prefer for them to have children they can't cope with, even in cases of rape or serious health issues, than have any say in the matter

'immigrant loving' - just say you're a racist and a xenophobe and hate anyone not like you

#metoo - yeah, just take a hashtag aimed at raising awareness of how common sexual assault/harassment is and insinuate that it's some kind of attack on men

career female - you think women aren't actual real people with rent and bills to pay just like men. God forbid any woman would want a life that doesn't revolve around raising children and cleaning the house.

Why don't you try the Daily Mail? Plenty of your sort over on their comment section.

Nice rant, pet!

But surely I should be trying the Daily Male, rather than the Daily Mail?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It is the complete lack of balance that is the issue....you're use of negative emotive terms merely reveals how deeply you are buying into todays outrage culture hysteria...that will get exhausting in time as it will affect how you engage with people around you!

Metoo took out at least as many innocent men as it did guilty men without so much as a trial....no media outlet is touching that.

Abortion rights for women is an important step for any society, but men are now left with absolutely no parental rights at all which it seems no one is allowed or willing to discuss.

Immigration is a massive issue for any state, particularly ours, we have a dysfunctional health system, an strained education system, a massive social welfare system, a pension time bomb and we are carrying massive debt that all of us are on the hook for, we need to talk about immigration in a mature fashion and not be considered racist, no one is allowed to discuss this either so it is left to the loons like Gemma O'Doherty..

Man hating feminists are an issue for all Western Societies, shamefully believing that one gender is superior to another cannot be tolerated in any way shape or form.

I understand not all feminists are man haters, but enough of them are.

Career females aren't just welcome, they are needed in a society with skyrocketing rents and house prices and expensive childcare, what is not fair are government enforced quotas on private sector companies and systematic "positive" discrimination within education and state infrastructure....no one is allowed to discuss that either.

Oh and women already enjoy the same rights as men have done for some time....no media outlets likes to remind us all of that for some reason.

The Daily Mail, uniquely has a majority female readership, so I don't know what you mean by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I would have thought we're more a paedo culture given we were mad into that for so long?

You must move in different circles to me..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

There was a case not a month old where a female game dev used the metoo to blacken the name of a male dev in an attempt to boost their public profile.

The end result was a suicide by the accused because despite what you are saying metoo is being abused by opportunists to get ahead.

That is the problem with following these trends blindly they are easily manipulated. People who do so are just as bad as all the call outs in this post because they don't actually care about equal rights and will gladly support injustice aslong as their vested interest is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

You must move in different circles to me..........

Ha that comment and user name!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The Daily Mail, uniquely has a majority female readership, so I don't know what you mean by that.

I think everyone is familiar with the Mail’s reactionary and fabricated outrage history. And it drives it’s female reach primarily on it’s online publishing, specifically it’s cellulite and celebs gossip sidebar. Nothing to do with it’s politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Calhoun wrote: »
    Ah so is this a veiled attempt at publicity ahead of an upcoming election ?

Be quite sick if that was the case.

Well they're nice n up front with the :

** Please note that the funds are going solely to AASVI for the management of this project **

Pity it didn't go ahead though

https://www.gofundme.com/f/safe-village-fundraiser?sharetype=teams&member=2271710

** Please note that the funds are going solely to AASVI for the management of this project **

7 JUNE 2019
    by Linda Hayden, Organiser
    Dear Friend,

It is with huge regret that I'm writing to inform you that this year AASVI’s Safe Village won’t be up and running at Body & Soul 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There was a case not a month old where a female game dev used the metoo to blacken the name of a male dev in an attempt to boost their public profile.

The end result was a suicide by the accused because despite what you are saying metoo is being abused by opportunists to get ahead.

That is the problem with following these trends blindly they are easily manipulated. People who do so are just as bad as all the call outs in this post because they don't actually care about equal rights and will gladly support injustice aslong as their vested interest is ok.

So the person who sexually abused her killed himself?

What are the words I'm looking for.

Boo and Hoo?

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    I think everyone is familiar with the Mail’s reactionary and fabricated outrage history. And it drives it’s female reach primarily on it’s online publishing, specifically it’s cellulite and celebs gossip sidebar. Nothing to do with it’s politics.

That is the problem with today's media....fabricated outrage, they are all like the Daily Mail.

This thread is about "Rape Culture"...that is the most perfect example of fabricated outrage.

(I was previously mislead about this very saying myself, as I was about the gender pay gap as well, another fine example of fabricated outrage)

Rapists need to be held in different prisons for their own safety in this part of the world!

Boggles wrote: »
    So the person who sexually abused her killed himself?

What are the words I'm looking for.

Boo and Hoo?

Except there is a huge amount of evidence that it was actually untrue.

I should have been more detailed on that part but say he was innocent would your comment still stand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Except there is a huge amount of evidence that it was actually untrue.

I should have been more detailed on that part but say he was innocent would your comment still stand ?

Of course not, I'd want her prosecuted.

So did he abuse her or not?

Probably be easier if you linked up an impartial report on the story?

Boggles wrote: »
    Of course not, I'd want her prosecuted.

So did he abuse her or not?

Probably be easier if you linked up an impartial report on the story?

I don't believe so but that's the problem with trial be media we will never know. There is allot of evidence that what she said he did didn't happen.

I'll link an article later as I'm in the gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Yes. Zoe Quinn. Also has a comic series with DC comics coming out. If they're going to the media and social media sites instead of the Police to report it then you can bet its probably bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

NIMAN wrote: »
    We have a rape culture because this woman was raped?

Thats stretching things a bit is it not?

Excuse the pun

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I don't care how un-pc it is to say, but I love raping.

Rape is a serious heinous crime, second to murder.

I am assuming that the management of Boards will be forwarding the IP address of a poster who is admitting engaging in criminal activity to an Garda Siochana.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭alswearengen

anewme wrote: »

I am assuming that the management of Boards will be forwarding the IP address of a poster who is admitting engaging in criminal activity to an Garda Siochana.

I doubt they are as stupid as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

anewme wrote: »

Personal insults are not Allowed , remember, it's in the charter.

the other admission is for the Gardai to investigate in fairness.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Don't post in this thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

What often gets lost in this conversation is that people seem to forget that many men in this country have daughters. To say we have a rape culture would some how suggest that fathers of women across the country are ok with rape ? Poorly researched clickbait crap by the IT. It’s horrible for this poor women to have gone through, but to say it’s a culture in Ireland is just ludicrous.

Hal3000 wrote: »
    What often gets lost in this conversation is that people seem to forget that many men in this country have daughters. To say we have a rape culture would some how suggest that fathers of women across the country are ok with rape ? Poorly researched clickbait crap by the IT. It’s horrible for this poor women to have gone through, but to say it’s a culture in Ireland is just ludicrous.

Rape Culture, Gender Pay Gaps, Misleading Domestic Abuse Narratives...if you are a woman who believes that all the men around you are contributing in any way at all to the systematic oppression of you through those means (and more) how could you possibly avoid man hating?

In the last week or two, I myself have come across articles in the Irish Times, NY Times, Irish Indo where men have been blamed for Climate Change, poop shaming women in the workplace, sexually harassing female cyclists, the cause of the rise of female anger...and I try to keep away from MSM, I didn't visit The Guardian which I used to...

What will it take for people to cop the f##k on!!

If you are a young woman who is blinded by these toxic false narratives you need to come back from the hysteria that is being pumped into you, you are being shamelessly manipulated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Hal3000 wrote: »

To say its a culture anywhere in the western world is ludicrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

To say its a culture anywhere in the western world is ludicrous.

Well according to the Irish media this week we’re all racists and now rapists too. Plus we lost to Japan today. Bad week for Irish men. Irish Times should have known better. I suspect this article is total clickbait which is horrible considering what happened to the poor woman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Here we go again... Ireland’s “rape culture” makes headlines yet again. Hey irish men, could you just stop raping women for five minutes please.

Hashtag mee too.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ireland-has-a-rape-culture-woman-who-was-assaulted-calls-for-more-victim-protection-1.4033034

You have the perfect avatar for this post.

Also by making the thread to ridicule and minimize her concerns you're kind of reinforcing her point, is it irony you're going for here?
    Yes. Zoe Quinn. Also has a comic series with DC comics coming out. If they're going to the media and social media sites instead of the Police to report it then you can bet its probably bull****.

Only if you somehow don't know that the police are mostly gormless fckn idiots. And was it two of them last year prosecuted on sexual assault related charges? I certainly don't trust them, not surprised vulnerable people don't either.

Quite allot of articles on the Zoe Quinn thing, two such are https://kotaku.com/night-in-the-woods-designer-alec-holowka-dies-1837783073 which shows the original reporting of the death and https://www.thepostmillennial.com/exclusive-zoe-quinns-allegations-are-falling-apart/ which goes over the timeline of what was said and evidence against what Zoe said.

I don't know which one of them was the bad guy but how this went down shows the pitfalls of trial by media.

There are wider implications on us as society, its only a matter of time before proper checks and balances are put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

We do not live in a rape culture.

Allow me to go at this from another angle. I work as a Prison Officer. Rapists in prison are seen as the lowest of the low. They are scum. Murderers are miles above them. What does that tell you? Sex offenders are the only category of prisoner requiring their own prison, with the exception of republican subversives, but that's politics. Imagine that though, their own prison because even the dregs of society won't accept them. Rapists aren't accepted in decent society and aren't accepted in indecent society. Nobody likes them. Nobody.

We do not live in a rape culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Isn't 'rape culture' a term that also covers all forms of dehumanising women and their experience such as by using language like all the pejorative terms ('bitch', 'slut' 'brazzer' etc.,) which is labelled 'banter' but only serves to dehumanise the woman along with saying that certain services shouldn't be provided, articles shouldn't be published etc.,
    If the accused isn't found guility then the woman is a 'liar' and her bad experience is negated.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Isn't 'rape culture' a term that also covers all forms of dehumanising women and their experience such as by using language like all the pejorative terms ('bitch', 'slut' 'brazzer' etc.,) which is labelled 'banter' but only serves to dehumanise the woman along with saying that certain services shouldn't be provided, articles shouldn't be published etc.,
    If the accused isn't found guility then the woman is a 'liar' and her bad experience is negated.

No, it is a deliberately emotive term that only seeks to divide, or in the case of media headlines, drive clicks, as media companies are aware that women are more likely to share negative emotive headlines on social media, and women are the target for every media outlet in the developed world on account of their vastly superior spending power.

Women's magazines/tv programs are even more harsh on other women than men are, men might objectify women as men are visually attracted to the shape of women, but I sincerely have never heard another man dehumanise any woman...of course, there is the banter that young people engage in, but listen to any Female musician these days, one gender is as bad as the other!

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »

If it is then we really do have problems, the meaning of rape being diluted down so much it loses the importance of the act.

I thought what you described though was more misogyny but could be wrong.

Advertisement