Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Ireland has a rape culture”

Options
1252627282931»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

It's simple economics. They discovered early that strong male characters didn't match what the studios wanted. They're simply seeking a pay check rather than any true belief in their characters. It's one of the reasons that so few modern TV shows with such plots or characters go beyond one season... unless they catch the attention of a particular type of female.

Writers don't determine what shows are put on TV for viewing.

I cant figure how who is driving it and why?, it seems like studios are being given false marketing advice that more woke equals more $$$, the sooner they realise that Twitter isn't real life the better :pac: , then there is probably a bit of a bubble with the streaming wars and what not so there is just too much easy money around. Or you have outfits like the BBC that are semi immune to commercial pressure so they can ruin shows like Dr Who with no consequences.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    What do you think is their end goal?

Is there one?

Just generic fear of men imo, and a backlash against the sexual revolution. I doubt there's really an end goal tbh.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    What do you think is their end goal?

Is there one?

It's like the "War on Terrorism"... It's a war that has no ending. Feminism is continually find new crusades to follow because without the cause, they'll have to lose their importance and get real jobs. I'm not being overly insulting either. Feminism is a massive business with a huge amount of revenue being produced in books, novels, interviews, etc.

It often reminds me of the Planet of the Apes series. The humans are relegated to dumb slaves but the threat always remains for the Apes... :D
    I cant figure how who is driving it and why?, it seems like studios are being given false marketing advice that more woke equals more $$$, the sooner they realise that Twitter isn't real life the better , then there is probably a bit of a bubble with the streaming wars and what not so there is just too much easy money around. Or you have outfits like the BBC that are semi immune to commercial pressure so they can ruin shows like Dr Who with no consequences.

In spite of this supposed wage gap, women still, by a huge margin, make up the majority of consumer spending in Western nations. That's been the case for decades. Originally because as housewives, they spent their husbands money, and later, with feminism, they bought items to fill the loneliness of being a high paid professional without a family.

The thing is that both modern marketing and mainstream psychology believe that you can shape society through the use of Media. The US is a good example of this. The marketing campaigns over the last 30 years have gradually shifted peoples attentions and values away from where they were before. It works because of the shift in peoples lifestyles. Working more and having more stress in your life allows subtle messages to be lodged in your mind. NLP has been playing around with the same strategy for decades in direct conversations.

IMHO I suspect there was a serious campaign to somehow dumb down the population through the use of mainstream psychology. Give people enough new definitions, and make them depend on a dodgy pseudoscience along with the increased dependency on pharma drugs for everything from depression to... well... everything.

The problem for these organisations though, is that many people are getting tired of being manipulated. Think of the last four American presidents and compare them with someone like Kennedy or Roosevelt. They're an absolute joke in comparison... and it shows just how little respect those in power and the media have for the common person. People are realising that they're being manipulated and they're refusing to play ball. Which should be a good thing, but I suspect they'll respond in the wrong way by going extreme.

Still... Corporations have grown far too powerful, and can't be reined in by anyone. It's the corporations who are driving all these manipulations, and it's only going to get worse over time.

Advertisement