Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenager and child shot in Dublin halting site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Nothing in the news about the burnt out house.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It is interesting to note the wording in that report...
    A source said: "The house belonged to one of the families alleged to be involved in the feud. It seems that the feud has continued."

If this is accurate,then thankfully some degree of insurance may be in place to pay for the inevitable rebuilding of the structure.

However,if the premises is in fact a Local Authority dwelling,then the (not inconsiderable ) cost will have to come from some part of the Authorities,already stretched,budget.

Sadly,the destruction,by fire, of housing stock appars to be a common occurence across many similar locations,which is particularly difficult to both understand or excuse,given the very real homelessness crisis impacting on other,non-traveller,elements of society.

If somebody can offer an explanation as to why this practice,is so widespread amongst this ethnic group then it then it may clarify at least some of the issue ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

splinter65 wrote: »
    Right on cue. Society is to blame. Not the person who pointed the gun in the direction of 2 children and pulled the trigger.

Not a fair comment. If the shooter turns out to have a bajillion previous convictions for violent crime, then it's the judiciary's fault for not locking him up permanently and the government's fault for not legislating to that effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Just remember when you look at you payslip this is what you pay for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Not a fair comment. If the shooter turns out to have a bajillion previous convictions for violent crime, then it's the judiciary's fault for not locking him up permanently and the government's fault for not legislating to that effect.

Locking 'her' up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

In fairness Patrick, theres only one person responsible for pointing a gun at another person with a baby in range and pulling the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,392 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Garda Michael Jones alleged that Mr Donovan’s family was involved in an ongoing feud with members of the Collins family over a “clandestine relationship between a man and a woman with an intellectual disability”.

Source IrishTimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It is interesting to note the wording in that report...

If this is accurate,then thankfully some degree of insurance may be in place to pay for the inevitable rebuilding of the structure.

However,if the premises is in fact a Local Authority dwelling,then the (not inconsiderable ) cost will have to come from some part of the Authorities,already stretched,budget.

Sadly,the destruction,by fire, of housing stock appars to be a common occurence across many similar locations,which is particularly difficult to both understand or excuse,given the very real homelessness crisis impacting on other,non-traveller,elements of society.

If somebody can offer an explanation as to why this practice,is so widespread amongst this ethnic group then it then it may clarify at least some of the issue ?

The houses are owned by Fingal County Council.

Traditionally travellers burn houses or caravans when someone has died in the property.

This was an act of vengeance on the Donovan house by the other family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

January wrote: »
    The houses are owned by Fingal County Council.

Traditionally travellers burn houses or caravans when someone has died in the property.

This was an act of vengeance on the Donovan house by the other family.

It's one thing traditionally burning a caravan you own, another thing entirely burning a house owned by the taxpayer for your tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

In fairness Patrick, theres only one person responsible for pointing a gun at another person with a baby in range and pulling the trigger.

I despise comments like this. A scumbag being a scumbag is scummy, but we as a society can do things to limit their opportunities for scumbaggery, and one of those things is making sure that when caught, they get buried alive by prison sentences and never get another opportunity to f*ck up someone's life. Admitting this is not absolving the shooter, but come on - if she does turn out to have previous convictions in the double or triple digits, then the successive judges who have sentenced these crimes in such a way that she was free to commit this latest offence have at least some of the victims' blood on their hands as well.

If I board a DART openly brandishing a firearm and DART security just ignores me and doesn't call the Gardai even though they've seen me waving a gun around, and then I shoot somebody with it, yes I pulled the trigger and am a murderer but do the security people, as those responsible for ensuring the safety of others passengers, not share some of the responsibility for the victi's death? People in the justice system are supposed to be the guardians of society in the same way that DART security are the guardians of passenger safety, and in allowing these people the freedom to roam the streets and commit further crimes after repeated run ins with the law, they are derelict in their duty to society. And it's high time that we law abiding citizens started getting pissed off about that, and demanding that violent crime be punished far more severely than it is at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

It's one thing traditionally burning a caravan you own, another thing entirely burning a house owned by the taxpayer for your tradition.

Agree totally. It doesn't stop them doing it or at least trying to do it anyway. The sons of a woman who lived across from us tried to set the house on fire when she died. The council managed to successfully stop them doing it but they just burnt all her belongings on the green in front of the house instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

burning a house is burning a house. whether we own it or the burner owns it isn't relevant, it's still burning a house, and the person responsible must be punished severely.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I despise comments like this. A scumbag being a scumbag is scummy, but we as a society can do things to limit their opportunities for scumbaggery, and one of those things is making sure that when caught, they get buried alive by prison sentences and never get another opportunity to f*ck up someone's life. Admitting this is not absolving the shooter, but come on - if she does turn out to have previous convictions in the double or triple digits, then the successive judges who have sentenced these crimes in such a way that she was free to commit this latest offence have at least some of the victims' blood on their hands as well.

If I board a DART openly brandishing a firearm and DART security just ignores me and doesn't call the Gardai even though they've seen me waving a gun around, and then I shoot somebody with it, yes I pulled the trigger and am a murderer but do the security people, as those responsible for ensuring the safety of others passengers, not share some of the responsibility for the victi's death? People in the justice system are supposed to be the guardians of society in the same way that DART security are the guardians of passenger safety, and in allowing these people the freedom to roam the streets and commit further crimes after repeated run ins with the law, they are derelict in their duty to society. And it's high time that we law abiding citizens started getting pissed off about that, and demanding that violent crime be punished far more severely than it is at present.

and I "despise" the abdication of personal responsibility so prevalent today.
    "its always someone else's fault"... "its the gubberment's fault"..."although i pulled the trigger the dart man should have stopped me..."

she chose to point a gun at someone. no one forced her. she pulled the trigger. she intended to kill someone, but instead shot a baby.
    there is no one else responsible for her action. however you seem to think society had some vicarious responsibility for her actions.

what and how the judiciary punish/rehabilitate offenders is another argument, and i agree there are judicial failings, but surely holding people to account rather than looking to scapegoat, or mitigate their actions, or to blame system faults is surely where we need to start, first principle if you like.

and I "despise" the abdication of personal responsibility so prevalent today.
    "its always someone else's fault"... "its the gubberment's fault"..."although i pulled the trigger the dart man should have stopped me..."

she chose to point a gun at someone. no one forced her. she pulled the trigger. she intended to kill someone, but instead shot a baby.
    there is no one else responsible for her action. however you seem to think society had some vicarious responsibility for her actions.

what and how the judiciary punish/rehabilitate offenders is another argument, and i agree there are judicial failings, but surely holding people to account rather than looking to scapegoat, or mitigate their actions, or to blame system faults is surely where we need to start, first principle if you like.

if she has previous convictions and is then out on the street, then society is responsible for allowing/enabling her. there is no abdication of personal responsibility, she is responsible for her crimes. however if someone is a known danger and the system does not deal with that danger, the system is responsible for that danger being a further danger.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

if she has previous convictions and is then out on the street, then society is responsible for allowing/enabling her. there is no abdication of personal responsibility, she is responsible for her crimes. however if someone is a known danger and the system does not deal with that danger, the system is responsible for that danger being a further danger.

There you go, it’s everyone’s fault except travellers themselves...... let’s follow your advice and throw more money at them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

AlekSmart wrote: »

Because the ones that tend to get in the papers a lot for the wrong reasons have no brains or respect for anyone or anything, quite simply.

What is a "known danger"?
    How do you lock a "known danger" up?
    For what? They might do something?
    Threaten someone? Sure, lock them up. For how long? When their sentance is served, are they still a "known danger", and if so why were they released? Are we to assume always dangerous?
    Do we assume offenders will reoffend? does that reconcile with your take on civil liberties?

If "danger" is : "the possibility of suffering harm or injury.
    synonyms:peril, hazard, risk, jeopardy, endangerment, imperilment, insecurity"

And risk a function of probability and harm, having regard to facts and statistics should we be locking all travellers up? Im not aware of any criminal record this alleged shooter person having. So did she become dangerous once she pulled the trigger or was she always? If the latter how do "we" stop it.

Theres a fundamental lack of the respect of the rights of others at play in certain demographics, coupled with zero responsibility, and cultural norms. Enabled by people like you, not me. And when this culture shows its true colours, we get the usual handwringing, denial and deflection that society is at fault somehow.

Theres an argument we dont punish hard enough or we dont rehabilitate well enough, but thats a different argument. FWIW, im all for more draconian punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Threaten someone? Sure, lock them up. For how long? When their sentance is served, are they still a "known danger", and if so why were they released? Are we to assume always dangerous?
    Do we assume offenders will reoffend? does that reconcile with your take on civil liberties?

synonyms:peril, hazard, risk, jeopardy, endangerment, imperilment, insecurity"

And risk a function of probability and harm, having regard to facts and statistics should we be locking all travellers up? Im not aware of any criminal record this alleged shooter person having. So did she become dangerous once she pulled the trigger or was she always? If the latter how do "we" stop it.

Theres a fundamental lack of the respect of the rights of others at play in certain demographics, coupled with zero responsibility, and cultural norms. Enabled by people like you, not me. And when this culture shows its true colours, we get the usual handwringing, denial and deflection that society is at fault somehow.

Theres an argument we dont punish hard enough or we dont rehabilitate well enough, but thats a different argument. FWIW, im all for more draconian punishment.
    Roger that.

• Advertisement

burning a house is burning a house. whether we own it or the burner owns it isn't relevant, it's still burning a house, and the person responsible must be punished severely.

Jesus H. christ, are you for real?

If i decide to burn my house to the ground, should i be "severely punished"?
    Am i to assume someone will provide me with a replacement house? Do i fcuk. Tough tits Roger.

If i deliberately burn your house, or a publicly owned/provided house, then yes i should be punished, but more importantly, there should end all and any future entitlements to me ever being provided a house again.
    But no, enabling fcukwits will rehouse them, because "culture" and "sure it was an accident boss"

tldr: theres a massive difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Jesus H. christ, are you for real ?

Am i to assume someone will provide me with a replacement house? Do i fcuk. Tough tits Roger.

If i deliberately burn your house, or a publicly owned/provided house, then yes i shoukd be lunished, but more importantly, there should end all and any future entitlements to me ever being provided a house again.
    But no, enabling fcukwits will rehouse them, because "culture" and "sure it was an accident boss"

+1

The radio and TV stations need stop feeding into this nonsense and broadcasting the "I want a house with a garden, and that one is too small" nonsense.

There you go, it’s everyone’s fault except travellers themselves...... let’s follow your advice and throw more money at them

if you believe it's everyone's fault bar travelers that's your opinion but it's not accurate.

synonyms:peril, hazard, risk, jeopardy, endangerment, imperilment, insecurity"

it's not enabled by me. i don't enable anything. i don't make the decisians in this country, the politicians do. the courts enforce the law.
    Jesus H. christ, are you for real?

If i deliberately burn your house, or a publicly owned/provided house, then yes i should be punished, but more importantly, there should end all and any future entitlements to me ever being provided a house again.

of course you should be punished if you deliberately set your house on fire. it's a crime last time i checked. people being rehoused is nothing to do with these "enabling fcukwits" whoever they are, but the belief that people must receive a roof over their head, among other recognised and legitimate reasons.

of course you should be punished if you deliberately set your house on fire. it's a crime last time i checked. people being rehoused is nothing to do with these "enabling fcukwits" whoever they are, but the belief that people must receive a roof over their head, among other recognised and legitimate reasons.

Are you saying they should be rehoused?
    Or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Or not?
    Mountjoy has a roof tbf.

Or not?

if they burn the house down then they should be jailed. when they get out give them a shipping container.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

if they burn the house down then they should be jailed. when they get out give them a shipping container.

Where should they be shipped to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

tusla don't have the resources to deal with children of people who can be here one minute and moved on the next. i'm sorry but that's the reality. the legislation existing applies to both traveler and settled children. mediation between groups isn't just for travelers.

SO we should just bury our heads in the sand and let this continue?
    There needs to be a crackdown
    People like to talk about the lack of resources, what about during the boom? same thing then, nothing was done

Jamsiek wrote: »
    SO we should just bury our heads in the sand and let this continue?

of course not, but if the government won't give the services the resources and funding they need then what can they do. they have to prioritize.
    There needs to be a crackdown

on what though. chances are whatever it is, i agree, but the government won't pay for it.
    People like to talk about the lack of resources, what about during the boom? same thing then, nothing was done

agreed. because the government didn't want to pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

of course not, but if the government won't give the services the resources and funding they need then what can they do. they have to prioritize.

on what though. chances are whatever it is, i agree, but the government won't pay for it.

agreed. because the government didn't want to pay for it.

Government government government, always the governments fault with you isnt it?

You are everything left represents.

No personal responsibility and expect to be spoonfed from the cradle to the grave by someone other than yourself.

Advertisement