Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Actions speak louder than words. Despite the relentless self serving PR it is quite clear where his heart lies. Egypt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

bajer101 wrote: »
    I am a critic of the Halawas, but this sort of nonsense has no place in a civilized debate.
    Totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Will he show the disfigured hand that the bad prison guard shot him in.
    Will he explain his big waist line after been on 3 hunger strikes

Will he ****, and yes I do have hatred for this prick, because he and his family have hatred for us

And **** off lefty's saying "quote where he has said he hates the west" open your eyes you morons

You sound like an old nun. Left handed people are no different to right handed people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Why are RTE giving him a platform and a profile like this? He's home, he's cost us a bloody fortune getting him out, he's done nothing brave or wonderful. Can it be just left at that? No need to turn him into some kind of celeb or hero. In fact, it's really irresponsible of our national broadcasting authority to be doing this.

Why are RTE giving him a platform and a profile like this? He's home, he's cost us a bloody fortune getting him out, he's done nothing brave or wonderful. Can it be just left at that? No need to turn him into some kind of celeb or hero. In fact, it's really irresponsible of our national broadcasting authority to be doing this.

The Late Late Show has always sought to interview people who have been in the news, so no harm there.
    Being that he is an Irishman who was locked up and tortured in a foreign prison for four years for a crime he was aquitted of I think a lot of people will be interested in hearing from him.
    I totally fail to see how it is irresponsible to interview him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

baylah17 wrote: »
    The Late Late Show has always sought to interview people who have been in the news, so no harm there.
    Being that he is an Irishman who was locked up and tortured in a foreign prison for four years for a crime he was aquitted of I think a lot of people will be interested in hearing from him.
    I totally fail to see how it is irresponsible to interview him.

Riiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhhtttttt :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Conor McGregor is also on the LLS this friday, he will have to beg for forgiveness for a harmless little remark made to a fighter (lets be honest are guys in the fight game gonna be PC all the time???)

Meanwhile IH won't have to explain anything despite the fact he supports a regime that throws homosexuals off buildings.

In fact he's progressive and liberal apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Here you are, again, banging on about him being some kind of hero, or presented as such. You seem to be the only one who thinks this. I certainly don't view him as any kind of hero, and apparently I'm a supporter of his.

You seem to be ignoring what many posters on this thread want, which is answers. How else are they supposed to get the answers they so eagerly want, if he just sails into the sunset, never to be heard of again?

As for being irresponsible, how on earth is it irresponsible? Do you think all the cool kids will now want to go to Egypt, protest and get locked up for 4 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Omackeral wrote: »
    He's home, his crew were all roaring Allah Akbar in Dublin Airport a few days ago.

You do know right 'Allah Akbar' just means God is great. It's a sad stereotype now that it is some sort of thing that terrorists yell before terrorising. Stop trying to make a big deal out of nothing.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Here you are, again, banging on about him being some kind of hero, or presented as such. You seem to be the only one who thinks this. I certainly don't view him as any kind of hero, and apparently I'm a supporter of his.

You seem to be ignoring what many posters on this thread want, which is answers. How else are they supposed to get the answers they so eagerly want, if he just sails into the sunset, never to be heard of again?

As for being irresponsible, how on earth is it irresponsible? Do you think all the cool kids will now want to go to Egypt, protest and get locked up for 4 years?

Your posts really are becoming more and more illogical. No one is 'banging on' about anything. It's a debate and I will restate my view if it remains relevant as new information emerges eg that he is now appearing on the Late Late Show.

I am certainly not the only person on this thread who is objecting to him being given some kind of homecoming hero status. But you appear to only see and read and absorb the things you want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ryan...

"Did you think going to Egypt on holidays was a clever thing to do?"

Did you address the crowd at a Muslim Brotherhood rally?

Do you agree with their stance on gay people?

How did you feel that an openly gay minister greeted you at dublin airport?

Are you proud that the leader of Ireland is openly gay and campaigned for your release?

Are you embarrassed that it has cost the irish taxpayers a fortune to get you back to ireland because of your stupidity?

Or...

We're you dying for a bag of taytos when you got home?

Your posts really are becoming more and more illogical. No one is 'banging on' about anything. It's a debate and I will restate my view if it remains relevant as new information emerges eg that he is now appearing on the Late Late Show.

I am certainly not the only person on this thread who is objecting to him being given some kind of homecoming hero status. But you appear to only see and read and absorb the things you want to.

Illogical, please do elaborate? I don't see remotely how you have come to that conclusion. I've made a fairly clear concise point regarding your repeated posts on this 'hero status'.

You have repeatedly made the point that you believe he's been treated like a hero, surprising only yourself and others with negative views of the chap seem to perceive him as being given 'hero' status.

Many others, I'd go so far as to say most, of his critics here seem to be demanding answers. By what medium do you suggest those demands be met?

As for only absorbing what I want to.. the absolute irony in that statement re: 'hero status':rolleyes:

mfceiling wrote: »
    Ryan...

"Did you think going to Egypt on holidays was a clever thing to do?" Reasonable Question

Did you address the crowd at a Muslim Brotherhood rally?
    Reasonable question , but clarify as whether it was MB Rally or did he merely address others trapped in the Mosque.

Do you agree with their stance on gay people? Irrellavent as to his false imprisonment and torture

How did you feel that an openly gay minister greeted you at dublin airport?
    Irrelevant as to his false imprisonment and torture

Are you proud that the leader of Ireland is openly gay and campaigned for your release?
    Irrelevant as to his false imprisonment and torture

Are you embarrassed that it has cost the irish taxpayers a fortune to get you back to ireland because of your stupidity?
    As an Irish citizen he is entitled to expect assistance

Or...

We're you dying for a bag of taytos when you got home?
    If so what flavour?

You do know right 'Allah Akbar' just means God is great. It's a sad stereotype now that it is some sort of thing that terrorists yell before terrorising. Stop trying to make a big deal out of nothing.

Indeed, but it's all about context, and you know very well this should not be shouted at a western airport in 2017.

Indeed, but it's all about context, and you know very well this should not be shouted at a western airport in 2017.

Why not?

baylah17 wrote: »
    Why not?

If you need to ask that there is no point engaging further with you.

Illogical, please do elaborate? I don't see remotely how you have come to that conclusion. I've made a fairly clear concise point regarding your repeated posts on this 'hero status'.

You have repeatedly made the point that you believe he's been treated like a hero, surprising only yourself and others with negative views of the chap seem to perceive him as being given 'hero' status.

Many others, I'd go so far as to say most, of his critics here seem to be demanding answers. By what medium do you suggest those demands be met?

As for only absorbing what I want to.. the absolute irony in that statement re: 'hero status':rolleyes:

Well certainly not by a soft interview on the Late Late Show. How about a hard hitting interview on a current affairs programme, where he will have to answer the questions that critics are asking?

If you need to ask that there is no point engaging further with you.

A man released from four years of wrongful imprisonment and torture celebrates his return home by stating God is Great, no harm there....
    ...unless of course those who are offended have a particular agenda of their own that they wish to push!

Well obviously in a nice friendly interview on a light entertainment show. :rolleyes:

Well certainly not by a soft interview on the Late Late Show. How about a hard hitting interview on a current affairs programme, where he will have to answer the questions that critics are asking?

Not exactly matching your wishes of 'leaving it at that' though is it?

Which is it that you want? For him to fade off into the sunset and never be heard of again, or do you want him grilled to your satisfaction on TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,480 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If you look at the welcome he got on his return to Ireland, his sisters receiving an award etc., he is being hailed a hero and for what, he chose to go to a country and partake in a protest (for MB) where there was violence

Yes we want answers but do you really think Tubs is going ask him any hard hitting questions

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    If you look at the welcome he got on his return to Ireland, his sisters receiving an award etc., he is being hailed a hero and for what, he chose to go to a country and partake in a protest (for MB) where there was violence

Yes we want answers but do you really think Tubs is going ask him any hard hitting questions

Who is hailing him as a hero? His friends and family were there to greet him at the airport, there were obviously press there to cover the return as there is clear national interest in the story (on both 'sides'). I can't see how any of that can be objectively described as him being hailed as a hero.

Which is it that you want? For him to fade off into the sunset and never be heard of again, or do you want him grilled to your satisfaction on TV?

This, preferably. But if he is going to appear on TV to 'answer his critics' questions, then it should be on a programme like Prime Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I think what people would like is that if there are questions being asked, maybe ask a few hard hitting ones and not just ''were ya raging ya missed the Dubs lifting Sam.'' If there's questions, ask some decent ones, not begorrah Oirish sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

This, preferably.

Then stop posting your rubbish here.

First Up wrote: »
    Then stop posting your rubbish here.

Another intelligent, reasoned and well thought out post from First Up. Not to mention selective quoting.

I think what people would like is that if there are questions being asked, maybe ask a few hard hitting ones and not just ''were ya raging ya missed the Dubs lifting Sam.'' If there's questions, ask some decent ones, not begorrah Oirish sh*te.

Exactly. If RTE are going to give him air time, then do it properly. The Late Late Show is not the appropriate place to interview him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Another intelligent, reasoned and well thought out post from First Up. Not to mention selective quoting.

Doesn't matter what programme. If you want him to fade away, why are you keeping his name out there?

I don't believe it will just be that kind of stuff. I think he will be asked about his treatment in jail, including questions around torture.

I don't believe he will be asked questions like 'So, are you a terrorist then.. or a terrorist sympahtiser.. do you plan on becoming a terrorist in the future?' That isn't a reference to your posts, but there's a definitely a few who would like to see an equally ludicrous and presumptive line of questioning.

• Advertisement

Exactly. If RTE are going to give him air time, then do it properly. The Late Late Show is not the appropriate place to interview him.

You believe it's the appropriate place to grill him because 'he has questions to answer'. I don't believe there is anything which he has done which requires an interrogation. The Egyptians had 4 years to do this, they were obviously happy he didn't have anything to answer for.

And again, you cant have it both ways. Either he stays quiet or he doesn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement