Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Exactly. If RTE are going to give him air time, then do it properly. The Late Late Show is not the appropriate place to interview him.

You mean like when they interviewed Michaella McCollum, in a purpose designed interview, and got slated for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    If you look at the welcome he got on his return to Ireland, his sisters receiving an award etc., he is being hailed a hero and for what, he chose to go to a country and partake in a protest (for MB) where there was violence

Yes we want answers but do you really think Tubs is going ask him any hard hitting questions

Right. Being interviewed by Tubridy is like watching a marshmallow fight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

You mean like when they interviewed Michaella McCollum, in a purpose designed interview, and got slated for it?

Funnily enough, I remember similar arguments.. 'Oh she shouldn't be given the air time.. she should just be away with herself and stay out of the limelight.. who does she think she is.. bla bla bla'.

Thing is though, she was a convicted drug smuggler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I wonder which University will offer him an honorary degree first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

First Up wrote: »
    Doesn't matter what programme. If you want him to fade away, why are you keeping his name out there?

How am I 'keeping his name out there'?

• Advertisement

That wasn't appropriate either, and I said that in a thread at the time.

givyjoe wrote: »
    You believe it's the appropriate place to grill him because 'he has questions to answer'. I don't believe there is anything which he has done which requires an interrogation. The Egyptians had 4 years to do this, they were obviously happy he didn't have anything to answer for.

And again, you cant have it both ways. Either he stays quiet or he doesn't.

As I said, preferably he would stay quiet. If, as you state, he should answer his critics questions (and you said it, not I) then the Late Late Show is not the appropriate forum.
    I have stated this several times, but you keep coming back asking the same questions.

And you're the one accusing people of 'banging on'. :rolleyes:

As I said, preferably he would stay quiet. If, as you state, he should answer his critics questions (and you said it, not I) then the Late Late Show is not the appropriate forum.
    I have stated this several times, but you keep coming back asking the same questions.

And you're the one accusing people of 'banging on'. :rolleyes:
    I think you need to re-read my post. I did NOT state that he should answer his critics questions, you seem to be suggesting that, while at the same time wishing he'd just 'go away'. I think you need specific reference drawn to the incompatibility of your wishes, as you don't seem to able to see them yourself. :confused:

As for banging on, not people, just yourself. Nor am I 'accusing' anyone of anything. I leave the accusations to Mr Halawa's critics.

Many others, I'd go so far as to say most, of his critics here seem to be demanding answers. By what medium do you suggest those demands be met?

My suggestion that if he was going to appear on TV it should be on a current affairs programme not on the LLS was in answer to your question above. I have qualified that by stating that preferably he wouldn't appear on television at all.

Is that so difficult for you to understand or get your head around?

As for the pedantry in your last two sentences - a sure sign that someone is running out of arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭emo72

The fella did nothing wrong. The only question I have is, why was an Irish fella putting himself in harm's way for the Muslim Brotherhood? That's it. I can't get my head around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

How am I 'keeping his name out there'?

By continuing to post about it.

Many others, I'd go so far as to say most, of his critics here seem to be demanding answers. By what medium do you suggest those demands be met?

My suggestion that if he was going to appear on TV it should be on a current affairs programme not on the LLS was in answer to your question above. I have qualified that by stating that preferably he wouldn't appear on television at all.

As for the pedantry in your last two sentences - a sure sign that someone is running out of arguments.

Yes I do find hypocritical, conflicting arguments difficult to get my head around.

Running out of arguments?! Pedantry? What are you on about? You seem oblivious to the inconsistencies displayed in your 'logic' and reasoning.

I have no doubt, no matter what answers are given you will not be happy.

By continuing to post about it.

Yeah, because this thread would die a death if I wasn't on it.

Posting concerns about the coverage he is getting is not really the same as the media photographing him, interviewing him and treating him like somekind of homecoming hero.

Yes I do find hypocritical, conflicting arguments difficult to get my head around.

Running out of arguments?! Pedantry? What are you on about? You seem oblivious to the inconsistencies displayed in your 'logic' and reasoning.

I have no doubt, no matter what answers are given you will not be happy.

And you, sir, have said absolutely nothing on this thread that has in any way progressed the debate. You seem to be on here night and day, aggressively countering any criticism of Halawa but failing to actually enter into any real discussion.

Yeah, because this thread would die a death if I wasn't on it. That's not really the same as the media photographing him, interviewing him and treating him like somekind of homecoming hero.

There it is again.. how does photographing and interviewing him mean they are treating him like a hero? I haven't seen or heard the word hero with regard to him outside of this thread, have there been any headlines where those words have been used?

There it is again.. how does photographing and interviewing him mean they are treating him like a hero? I haven't seen or heard the word hero with regard to him outside of this thread, have there been any headlines where those words have been used?

Pedantry again.

And you, sir, have said absolutely nothing on this thread that has in any way progressed the debate. You seem to be on here night and day, aggressively countering any criticism of Halawa but failing to actually enter into any real discussion.

I mean, do I really need to point out the hypocrisy in literally every one of your assertions?

I've merely pointed out, as it seems many need reminding, the chap has not committed any crimes yet many seem to be on a witch hunt. I started here in defence of his human rights, i.e. his justifiable release, not him specifically. I'm not a supporter of his, merely those you know, human rights I mentioned. I really couldn't care less about the chap himself.

As for entering any real discussion, I can't really see how your repeated snipes about him 'being treated like a hero' is any way contributing to a debate.
    Pedantry again.
    Another example of your contribution :rolleyes: If you find people disagreeing with your points of view, pedantic, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Agreed. He should be on Sean O'Rourke or equivalent with professional current affairs interviewers who can smell the BS a mile off and are prepared to call it.
    Despite Sean's obvious professionalism RTE would never allow this as they have too much invested in the PR Halawa narrative. It would make them look foolish or biased. Both of which are true in my opinion in this case.
    So the solution is put him on with a lightweight, light entertainment insider who will ask him about his granny and how he missed his Tayto crisps. Tubs doesn't have the will or the capacity to ask the relevant questions.
    In other words a puff piece to further justify the media's unjustified and suspicious obsession with the Halawa affair and to keep the false narrative going.

Yeah, because this thread would die a death if I wasn't on it.

Posting concerns about the coverage he is getting is not really the same as the media photographing him, interviewing him and treating him like somekind of homecoming hero.

Hilarious. You want him to preferably fade away but you also want to take credit for keeping a thread about him alive. He got home over a week ago and he will be on in TV in two days time. Why not wait to see if there is anything to be outraged about before saying anything more?

Nobody in the media has treated him as a hero (because he isn't). They have treated him as a victim (because he is.)

quintana76 wrote: »
    Agreed. He should be on Sean O'Rourke or equivalent with professional current affairs interviewers who can smell the BS a mile off and are prepared to call it.
    Despite Sean's obvious professionalism RTE would never allow this as they have too much invested in the PR Halawa narrative. It would make them look foolish or biased. Both of which are true in my opinion in this case.
    So the solution is put him on with a lightweight, light entertainment insider who will ask him about his granny and how he missed his Tayto crisps. Tubs doesn't have the will or the capacity to ask the relevant questions.
    In other words a puff piece to further justify the media's unjustified and suspicious obsession with the Halawa affair and to keep the false narrative going.

I suppose you have to outraged about the LLS interview now in case you don't have anything to be outraged about when it actually takes place.

• Advertisement

I mean, do I really need to point out the hypocrisy in literally every one of your assertions?

I've merely pointed out, as it seems many need reminding, the chap has not committed any crimes yet many seem to be on a witch hunt. I started here in defence of his human rights, i.e. his justifiable release, not him specifically. I'm not a supporter of his, merely those you know, human rights I mentioned. I really couldn't care less about the chap himself.

As for entering any real discussion, I can't really see how your repeated snipes about him 'being treated like a hero' is any way contributing to a debate.

Another example of your contribution :rolleyes:

No one's on a 'witch hunt'. Most posters on here consider that it was appropriate and right of the Government to secure his release. Many of us, however, have concerns about the public nature of his homecoming and how the affair will be handled going forward and are expressing those concerns on here. That is not contrary to his human rights, which have been secured by the Government and the tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

I suppose you have to outraged about the LLS interview now in case you don't have anything to be outraged about when it actually takes place.

It should not be on the LLS. It is a political issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Odhinn

No one's on a 'witch hunt'. Most posters on here consider that it was appropriate and right of the Government to secure his release. Many of us, however, have concerns about the public nature of his homecoming and how the affair will be handled going forward and are expressing those concerns on here. That is not contrary to his human rights, which have been secured by the Government and the tax payer.

Why make that remark re Govenment and tax payer?

Hilarious. You want him to preferably fade away but you also want to take credit for keeping a thread about him alive. He got home over a week ago and he will be on in TV in two days time. Why not wait to see if there is anything to be outraged about before saying anything more?

Nobody in the media has treated him as a hero (because he isn't). They have treated him as a victim (because he is.)

My first comment was a sarcastic one. :rolleyes:

And expressing annoyance at him appearing on the LLS is not being 'outraged'. So please stop trying to be emotive just to boost your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Considering we know for a fact isis have help and assistance throughout Ireland I'm finding peoples obsession with Ibrahim weird... Go find isis instead

Odhinn wrote: »
    Why make that remark re Govenment and tax payer?

Well, who do you think secured and paid for his release?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Odhinn

He's an irish citizen, so who else would it be? Why did you mention it?

How is it relevant?

My first comment was a sarcastic one. :rolleyes:

Which bit - about fading away or keeping it alive?

• Advertisement

Which bit - about fading away or keeping it alive?

About it fading away, of course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement