Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

So, there will be an item on the Late Late where Conor McGregor will be questioned about his using the word ******. McGregor will have to apologise to appease the mob.

Halawa belongs to an organisation that believes homosexuals and apostates should be murdered and his father is on record as saying this, but this won't be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

It’s not interesting at all. It’s an extreme example, hyperbole, you do know he’s dead and probably never watched Fair City anyway?

I don’t think he’s anything or that anything needs to be ‘uncovered’
    There are a lot of people that do want questions answered. There are a lot of claims on both sides that would be welcomed in clearing up.
    My problem is the shutting down of people that are asking the questions.

If he just went there on holiday and accidentally wound up on stage, wouldn’t it be better for everyone if he cleared that up?

Thanks for clarifying. The issue I have is, some folks have already made up their mind that he's 'at least a terrorist sympathiser' (without any actual evidence of this), and seem to so desperately seek a way of justifying this belief.

I'm not shutting anyone down, just disagreeing with that type of nonsense I've alluded to above.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I've yet to see any evidence that Ibrahim Halawa has any dodgy views. When in Egypt, he said he wanted for Egyptians to have what people in Ireland have. Likewise, he referred to both Ireland and Egypt as his countries. I'm delighted that an Irishman who was held for four years and found innocent is able to return home.

His father's views can certainly be criticized but it's surprising to see the focus given on Islam's views on homosexuality, given Catholicism also rejects homosexuality. When Varadkar visited the Clonskeagh mosque, they said they oppose same sex marriage but highlighted they live in Ireland where secular law applies. I fail to see how this is different from the Catholic Church which urged people to vote against the legalisation of divorce, homosexuality and contraception.
    But I dunno why a son should be hounded for the views of his father.

As for the Muslim Brotherhood being a terrorist organisation, it's only deemed as such by the democratic luminaries of Egypt, Russia, Syria, Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain. Designating them as a terrorist organisation is extremely dubious, with no evidence it's engaging in terrorist activity.
    In short
    It’s fine to think that the Muslim Brotherhood is bad, terrible, authoritarian, or illiberal (in my book on the Egyptian and Jordanian Brotherhoods from the 1980s till today, I highlight the group’s illiberal nature at length). Eric Trager, who I have disagreed with quite strongly on matters relating to the Brotherhood, has called it more akin to a “hate group.” But even he has written against designation. The Brotherhood’s badness, one way or the other, has no bearing on whether or not it is a terrorist organization. Being a terrorist organization involves, among other things, ordering your members to commit terrorist attacks, something no one argues the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Lockstep wrote: »
    I've yet to see any evidence that Ibrahim Halawa has any dodgy views. When in Egypt, he said he wanted for Egyptians to have what people in Ireland have. Likewise, he referred to both Ireland and Egypt as his countries. I'm delighted that an Irishman who was held for four years and found innocent is able to return home.

Good for you - however to make a fully informed opinion you need to view all the available experience in relation to the Halawas participation in the MB protests and Islamist type comnents made by same. A quick review of this thread will give you all the links you need. Btw IH is on record stating he is from Egypt and that he "lived" in Ireland.
    His father's views can certainly be criticized but it's surprising to see the focus given on Islam's views on homosexuality, given Catholicism also rejects homosexuality. When Varadkar visited the Clonskeagh mosque, they said they oppose same sex marriage but highlighted they live in Ireland where secular law applies. I fail to see how this is different from the Catholic Church which urged people to vote against the legalisation of divorce, homosexuality and contraception.
    But I dunno why a son should be hounded for the views of his father.

I believe there is a quite a distinction between the two. I have never seen Catholic dogma calling for the killing of homosexuals. The father has been linked with the MB who advocate the killing of same. Getit? Whstever of the father - IH also attended and spoke at protests organised by the MB in Egypt...
    As for the Muslim Brotherhood being a terrorist organisation, it's only deemed as such by the democratic luminaries of Egypt, Russia, Syria, Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain. Designating them as a terrorist organisation is extremely dubious which has with no evidence its engaging in terrorist activity.
    In short

You will find that the countries where the MB have been proscribed are those countries where the MB is most active and where that group has caused significant problems. In Egypt allone the MB have been involved in the assassination of politicians, violence, the killing of police and terrorising religious minorities. The MB motto is "Islam is the solution" and they do not recognise national sovereignty of other countries believing that all Islamic people's fall under the same empire. Democracy is NOT a concern of the MB and has never been. In Egypt democratic elections were used by the MB to grab power - they then went on their way attempting to dismantle the Egyptian constitution as it had previously stood.

Tbh such refutals are getting quite tiresome at this stage - if you read the thread you will see that many half baked media reports are largely untrue or require serious clarification by the person's in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

gozunda wrote: »
    Good for you - however to make a fully informed opinion you need to view all the available experience in relation to the Halawas participation in the MB protests and Islamist type comnents made by same. A quick review of this thread will gi e you all the links you need.
    I have: I've yet to see any evidence that Ibrahim Halawa is an Islamist sympathiser. In fact, on his Facebook page, he explicitly denies supporting or being a member of the Muslim Brotherhood. See his post on the 8th September, it's publicly viewable.

I believe there is a quite a distinction between the two. I have never seen Catholic dogma calling for the killing of homosexuals. The father has been linked with the MB who advocate the killing of same. Getit?
    The Catholic Church's persecution of homosexuals is fairly well documented, as its execution of heretics. Ever hear of the Inquisition? It has moderated its tone in the last few centuries.
    The Clonskeagh Mosque said they don't personally support homosexuality but highlighted secular laws apply in Ireland. Meanwhile the Catholic Church publicly makes statements in referendums against legalising gay marriage.

You will find that the countries where the B have been proscribed are those countries where the MB is most and where that group has caused significant problems. In Egypt allone the MB have been I loved in the assassination of politicians, violence, the killing of police and terrorising religious minorities. The MB motto is "Islam is the solution" and they do not recognise national sovereignty of other countries believing that all Islamic people's fall under the same empire. Democracy is NOT a concern of the MB and has never been. In Egypt democratic elections were used by the MB to grab power - they then went on their way attempting to dismantle the Egyptian constitution as it had previously stood.
    And yet, no liberal democracy in the world proscribes the Muslim Brotherhood as a terrorist organization. I'd hardly see Syria or Saudi Arabia as a good source on human rights or democracy. Likewise, as highlighted above, there's no evidence it's engaged in terrorist activities. If you can prove otherwise, you'll be doing well as not a single US foreign policy expert agrees with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

bajer101 wrote: »
    So, there will be an item on the Late Late where Conor McGregor will be questioned about his using the word ******. McGregor will have to apologise to appease the mob.

Halawa belongs to an organisation that believes homosexuals and apostates should be murdered and his father is on record as saying this, but this won't be addressed.

Are both on this coming Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The student was just 17 when he was detained and jailed in Cairo in 2013 over Muslim Brotherhood protests.
    He was released last month after being acquitted of all charges.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ibrahim-halawa-is-set-to-appear-on-this-fridays-late-late-show-812264.html

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The student was just 17 when he was detained and jailed in Cairo in 2013 over Muslim Brotherhood protests.
    He was released last month after being acquitted of all charges.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ibrahim-halawa-is-set-to-appear-on-this-fridays-late-late-show-812264.html

I would prefer if Conor McGregor was actually there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Matt.ie

Lockstep wrote:
    The Catholic Church's persecution of homosexuals is fairly well documented, as its execution of heretics. Ever hear of the Inquisition? It has moderated its tone in the last few centuries. The Clonskeagh Mosque said they don't personally support homosexuality but highlighted secular laws apply in Ireland. Meanwhile the Catholic Church publicly makes statements in referendums against legalising gay marriage.

Plenty people were and are anti gay marriage. It's their right to think and believe that and it doesn't mean that they are homophobic.

Where is the Catholic churchs persecution of homosexuals documented. I'm not aware of this. Oh right. ...... It was a few centuries ago. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I've yet to see any evidence that Ibrahim Halawa is an Islamist sympathiser. In fact, on his Facebook page, he explicitly denies supporting or being a member of the Muslim Brotherhood. See his post on the 8th September, it's publicly viewable.

So there we have it ............... conclusive proof that he does not support the Muslim Brotherhood. Well that's that then; we should ignore all other evidence that is contrary .......... even if there is video evidence.

I hope his father doesn't see this Facebook page or there could be trouble at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

Matt.ie wrote: »
    Plenty people were and are anti gay marriage. It's their right to think and believe that and it doesn't mean that they are homophobic.

Where is the Catholic churchs persecution of homosexuals documented. I'm not aware of this. Oh right. ...... It was a few centuries ago. Lol

Agree with you, it's a non nonsensical argument he's making.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law

Half of all British Muslims think homosexuality should be illegal, poll finds

"When asked to what extent they agreed or disagreed that homosexuality should be legal in Britain, 18% said they agreed and 52% said they disagreed, compared with 5% among the public at large who disagreed. Almost half (47%) said they did not agree that it was acceptable for a gay person to become a teacher, compared with 14% of the general population."

As for the Muslim Brotherhood being recognized as a terrorist organization, it's probably only a matter of time.

https://twitter.com/sentedcruz/status/818927370384080900?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just saw the Late Late news.

Get ready for the RAGE and the FUME here, salt levels will be off the charts.

https://twitter.com/thejournal_ie/status/925666196002926592

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

does he get paid for that?

Already noted here - thanks - youre a bit a behind

Already noted here - thanks ...

You're welcome!

I hope so. Be good to give the young lad a few quid to help him get back on his feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I would prefer if Conor McGregor was actually there...

I'm working on a screen play with just that premise, hapless young Conor gets swept up in a wave of political hysteria while visiting the pyramids buts falls fowl of the military junta. To get to freedom he has to fight his way out of their dankest prison while Irish diplomats lobby for his freedom.
    In the end Conor is helped to freedom by a crack team that includes Leo Vardkar and Catherine Zappone while Micheal O'Leary flys the getaway plane, I haven't decided who jumps out of it, a la where eagles dare, yet though.

You're welcome!

No not really ...
    Did you read the last few pages or did you just jump in for giggles or something?

Did you read the last few pages or did you just jump in for giggles or something?

Bit of both really.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

All your television licence fee.

• Advertisement

Bit of both really.

Ya real wizz kid antics there ...

I'm working on a screen play with just that premise, hapless young Conor gets swept up in a wave of political hysteria while visiting the pyramids buts falls fowl of the military junta. To get to freedom he has to fight his way out of their dankest prison while Irish diplomats lobby for his freedom.
    In the end Conor is helped to freedom by a crack team that includes Leo Vardkar and Catherine Zappone while Micheal O'Leary flys the getaway plane, I haven't decided who jumps out of it, a la where eagles dare, yet though.

Nah that's an unbelievable story line tbh - he's not 'brown' so as far as I remember - it couldn't happen according to several sources here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I hope so. Be good to give the young lad a few quid to help him get back on his feet.

****ing lefty prick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Will he show the disfigured hand that the bad prison guard shot him in.
    Will he explain his big waist line after been on 3 hunger strikes

Will he ****, and yes I do have hatred for this prick, because he and his family have hatred for us

And **** off lefty's saying "quote where he has said he hates the west" open your eyes you morons

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When is he meant to get back to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

the_syco wrote: »
    When is he meant to get back to Ireland?

He's home, his crew were all roaring Allah Akbar in Dublin Airport a few days ago.

No, really.

Omackeral wrote: »
    He's home, his crew were all roaring Allah Akbar in Dublin Airport a few days ago

No, really.

I heard twas 'holy snackbar' - he was heading to supermacs for a battered sausage and chip ... :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Wouldn't it be great if real Irish people could maintain our identity and our citizenship, a system where immigrants are not granted citizenship and can be deported for the smallest of crimes. Think a system similar to the UAE and Muslim middle east states but for Irish people instead. Halawa should have been arrested when he landed in Ireland, stripped of any Irish Citizenship and deported straight back to Egypt. The Majority of Brits and Americans are more Irish than this guy.

All the time a true Irish person lies rotting away in the Philippines because he didn't pay the police a bribe when they planted like 0.01gram of cannabis on him. But his case wouldn't suit the leftist marxist agenda however, anyone who supports Halawa is really an enemy of the state in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Doltanian wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great if real Irish people could maintain our identity and our citizenship, a system where immigrants are not granted citizenship and can be deported for the smallest of crimes. Think a system similar to the UAE and Muslim middle east states but for Irish people instead. Halawa should have been arrested when he landed in Ireland, stripped of any Irish Citizenship and deported straight back to Egypt. The Majority of Brits and Americans are more Irish than this guy.

I am a critic of the Halawas, but this sort of nonsense has no place in a civilized debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

bajer101 wrote: »
    I am a critic of the Halawas, but this sort of nonsense has no place in a civilized debate.

Plus, Ibrahim was born here. He's not even an immigrant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement