Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Its topical,seeing as it was in the Indo today so...
    Should probably start off by asking our own Egyptian what he thinks of comments made by an Egyptian lawyer on tv saying that its an Egyptians national duty to rape scantily clad women(although ripped jeans wouldnt be scantily clad imo).
    Then link into his protest and who he was protesting on behalf of,and does he realise that the MB agree with this Egyptian lawyers views on women.
    Alas its the LLS hes appearing on so I doubt any questions like that would be entertained at all.

That's irrelevant as that lunatic has nothing to do with the Muslim Brotherhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

bajer101 wrote: »
    That's irrelevant as that lunatic has nothing to do with the Muslim Brotherhood.

I suppose youre right but he is an ultra conservative Egyptian and the MB id consider as an ultra conservative political party in Egypt so their views would be similar.
    I was just throwing out ideas for tough questions but like I said its the late late so no fear of anything interesting coming from the interview.
    Ill leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Not going against a mod warning here Conspectus but Ibrahim himself identifies as an Egyptian as well as an Irishman. He has dual citizenship. I agree that anyone calling Mr Halawa an immigrant should be pulled up though, most definitely. It's ignorant and simply untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

gitzy16v wrote: »
    I suppose youre right but he is an ultra conservative Egyptian and the MB id consider as an ultra conservative political party in Egypt so their views would be similar.
    I was just throwing out ideas for tough questions but like I said its the late late so no fear of anything interesting coming from the interview.
    Ill leave it at that.

It's irrelevant. The constant query has been about the Halawa's link to the Muslim Brotherhood. This has nothing to do with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Tubs is a bad interviewer but it still should be interesting.

I liked Tubs until I saw the way he handled the Paul Murphy interview. He tried to stitch him up on national TV and didn't let him answer any of the loaded poor questions. I am no fan of Paul Murphy but I felt Tubs was acting on behalf of the "elite" who were growing fearful of the perceived threat to establishment (as the subsequent election proved). Interviewers should be impartial but probing.

In a way I think it might be too soon for Halawa to recover and gather his thoughts but it will be fascinating nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

It might be fascinating, but it's still sending out a wrong message to have him on the Late Late Show. That is traditionally a show where celebrities, sporting or other heroes, national treasures or those involved in worthy causes tend to form the majority of the guests. Ibrahim Halawa does not fit any of those categories. He's a young guy whose foolhardy behaviour has caused a lot of people a lot of trouble and who has hopefully learnt his lesson. It should be left there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

It might be fascinating, but it's still sending out a wrong message to have him on the Late Late Show. That is traditionally a show where celebrities, sporting or other heroes, national treasures or those involved in worthy causes tend to form the majority of the guests. Ibrahim Halawa does not fit any of those categories. He's a young guy whose foolhardy behaviour has caused a lot of people a lot of trouble and who has hopefully learnt his lesson. It should be left there.

I think you may be stretching it with that definition considering the 'calibre' of guests over the last couple of years. :eek:

Ah stop, that's just your nonsense. Every kind of person has been interviewed on the LLS in recent years. What wrong message? He has a story to tell, a story many people will want to hear. And people may learn some lessons from his ordeal.

Change the channel if you are upset. You can turn back when Vogue is on.

givyjoe wrote: »
    I think you may be stretching it with that definition considering the 'calibre' of guests over the last couple of years. :eek:

Well yes, fair enough, but it's definitely not a programme famous for its hard hitting interviews or indepth analysis of public affairs, international issues, etc. If this guy is going to be given airtime, it should be on a programme that comes within the remit of the current affairs dept. and has an experienced journalist in the interviewer's seat. Then we might get an honest account of what actually lead up to Ibrahim's arrest and what really went on in the Egyptian prison.

Of course, we may get a surprise and Ryan might very much drive the interview in the way the viewer and not the Halawas want.

Well yes, fair enough, but it's definitely not a programme famous for its hard hitting interviews

Here is where the devout of Ireland tried to disgrace an honest woman.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I would like to post my opinions on this entire issue but the moderators will ban me so I must abide by their decision not to have a dissenting opinion of Ibrahim Halawa.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Omackeral wrote: »
    Not going against a mod warning here Conspectus but Ibrahim himself identifies as an Egyptian as well as an Irishman. He has dual citizenship. I agree that anyone calling Mr Halawa an immigrant should be pulled up though, most definitely. It's ignorant and simply untrue.

A statement of fact I believe. Here is the relevant link.
    [Url]
    http://markhumphrys.com/Facebook/35.png[/url]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Doltanian wrote: »
    I would like to post my opinions on this entire issue but the moderators will ban me so I must abide by their decision not to have a dissenting opinion of Ibrahim Halawa.

Mod-Let me save you from our tyranny. Do not post in the thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Doltanian wrote: »

Aw, poor you.

Conspectus wrote: »
    Mod-Let me save you from our tyranny. Do not post in the thread again.

:D

Nobody will ever forget his brave stance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

discussion shut down so

he who shouts the loudest wins the argument

politics of the left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

thread was reopened after some fairly childish posting and derailing.
    Per Mod, other than calling IH a migrant/non irish, it's relatively uncensored. He could have given his tuppence, no need for such drama.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    discussion shut down so

he who shouts the loudest wins the argument

politics of the left

What is strange about the polarisation of politics is that the far left is frequently presumed to hold a moral perogrative.

In my experience the far left are ever bit as extreme as the far right. The fact that such factions believe themselves to be in the right make them all the more dangerous.

Governments and the MSM tend to deal with the far left in kid gloves as they are afraid to offend in my experience.

Unfortunately this very issue has significant consequences for the debate in general and the forthcoming LLS imo.

thread was reopened after some fairly childish posting and derailing.
    Per Mod, other than calling IH a migrant/non irish, it's relatively uncensored. He could have given his tuppence, no need for such drama.

I may be wrong but some several detailed replies addressed to pro Halawa brigade became casualties of the fracas - and not childish ones imo either afair.

That said - as long as genuine discussion continues I have no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Ladies and gents, no discussion of mod actions on thread please. Ye no better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

gozunda wrote:
    Governments and the MSM tend to deal with the extreme left in kid gloves as they are afraid to offend in my experience.

What aspects of the Halawa case are you associating with the "extreme left"?

I'm torn. I disagree with Halawa being on the LLS and had decided I wouldn't watch it.
    But now I'm really curious to see if Ryan Tubridy will make any effort to really question him, or it it'll just be an 'ah isn't it great you're out and how are you looking forward to spending Christmas with your family at last' rubbish.

I suspect the latter but would love to be proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm torn. I disagree with Halawa being on the LLS and had decided I wouldn't watch it.
    But now I'm really curious to see if Ryan Tubridy will make any effort to really question him, or it it'll just be an 'ah isn't it great you're out and how are you looking forward to spending Christmas with your family at last' rubbish.

I suspect the latter but would love to be proved wrong.

Surely that would be an offensive question to a devout Muslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

It reminds me of the quiz on radio a while back when someone was asked for Col. Ghaddafi's Christian name.

An Invite to a Tubs hosted LLS Toy Show would be ever more offensive! :eek:

According to the following website "designed to enrich the viewers' knowledge and appreciation of Islam."

The non Muslims' celebrations such as the second millennium, Christmas Day, etc. are among the falsehoods that a Muslim should avoid. 

See:
    http://www.islamweb.net/en/article/142147/muslims-celebrating-christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I've decided not to watch the LLS.
    Tubs will be all smiley and nice and afraid to ask the relevant questions.
    I would like to see his injured hand though which went septic and crooked after he was shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I've decided not to watch the LLS.
    Tubs will be all smiley and nice and afraid to ask the relevant questions.
    I would like to see his injured hand though which went septic and crooked after he was shot.

Tbf he's probably afraid mcgregor will batter him tanight

Tbf he's probably afraid mcgregor will batter him tanight

As far as I'm aware our 'National Sporting hero will appear via a prerecorded slot only and not live.

IH has a live slot afaik ....

One of the venerable MSM scions the IM states that IH ...
    ... joins Late Late host Ryan Tubridy on Friday night to talk about what those four years were like for him as family, friends and supporters battled to get him out.

He’ll talk about what it is like to finally be free, what he intends on doing next and he'll be addressing the rumours surrounding his imprisonment...

[Url]
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/whats-on-news/who-late-late-show-week-11454984[/url]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Even if Tubridy asks him the questions mentioned above, and he denies involvement in the MB and says he's delighted we have a gay Taoiseach, I think a lot of people still won't be satisfied.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement