Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steps to get good friday alcohol ban overturned.

Options
  • 17-03-2017 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I am not Catholic, I don't believe I will go to hell for drinking alcohol on
    Good Friday. I know I am a minority in Ireland in this regard but why are my rights ignored on Good Friday and what if any steps could I take to get this overturned?

Note: its not about the alcohol, its about imposing religious dogma on non
    religious citizens.

Comments

Pubs are closed Christmas day as well.
    Should they open?
    Why the hate for good Friday closing?
    I'm sure if i had a pub or worked in one, i wouldn't mind a couple of days a year with the pub closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

Good Friday is April 14th. Today is March 17th. You have nearly a month to prepare.

My advice on Thursday the 16th of March go into an off-licence. Buy enough alcohol to last you during Friday. Problem solved, you're welcome.

*Note: This also works for Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I spent more time reading OP's user handle than the the OP itself.
    I need a drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I'd bring back the alcohol ban on Paddy's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Just rebrand it for what it is. 'National how can I get round the drinking ban day'.

People love this day, if they didn't they'd just STFU and go shopping in the preceding days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Sports clubs serve alcohol on Good Friday.

And staying in is the new going out so stock up on drink the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭SteM

Alchos getting jittery already, it's over a month away ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

Good Friday. I know I am a minority in Ireland in this regard but why are my rights ignored on Good Friday and what if any steps could I take to get this overturned?

religious citizens.

What rights are being ignored?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Note: its not about the alcohol

It is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Its not about "stocking up". It would be nice to go for a meal on Friday and
    have some wine with food.

The ban is about imposing religious dogma, it does't matter if its one day
    or 100 days, if you are religious then don't drink but you have no right to stop others.

Forcing you religious view on people is not ok!

Christmas day should apply too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

bubblypop wrote: »
    Pubs are closed Christmas day as well.
    Should they open?
    Why the hate for good Friday closing?
    I'm sure if i had a pub or worked in one, i wouldn't mind a couple of days a year with the pub closed!

If you own it, you can close it whatever days you want.

I don't really drink much. It doesnt bother me at all that you cant purchase alcohol on that day. I like it, i think its a good 'Irish' thing. Like the angelus (even though i believe thats gone now, and im not at all religious either). I don't see why the rush to turn us into "Generic Euro Country #12".

I like the little 'irish' things that appear.

That said, even as a non-drinker, i think the restricted sale times for alcohol are a bit stupid and only hit the innocent people and not the people with alcohol issues (ie; the joe soap that fancies a drink but works shift work so cant juts pop in and buy it on the way home, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Its not about "stocking up". It would be nice to go for a meal on Friday and
    have some wine with food.

The ban is about imposing religious dogma, it does't matter if its one day
    or 100 days, if you are religious then don't drink but you have no right to stop others.

Forcing you religious view on people is not ok!

Christmas day should apply too.

It's nothing to do with religion. So get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭XsApollo

All things religion should be a choosing of the people that wish to follow it.
    Not forced on people that don't care.
    Which is happening slowly in this country , but getting there.
    Mainly helped by all the **** that has went on :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭enricoh

The ones I know that go on about good Friday drinking wouldn't be in a pub from one month to the next. Gives em something else to moan about I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

It is one day a year. If someone can't manage without alcohol for one day a year then they have an alcohol dependency and should seek help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

religious citizens.

Nowadays the closure has nothing got to do with the catholic church ,So whether you go to hell or Connaught is your own business.

The minister if so desired could change the law very easily, as its a bit out of date, Intoxicating Liquor Act, 1927 , Tis the government you need to be throwing your wobbler at.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

XsApollo wrote: »
    All things religion should be a choosing of the people that wish to follow it.
    Not forced on people that don't care.
    Which is happening slowly in this country , but getting there.
    Mainly helped by all the **** that has went on :-).

Catholic Church are not blocking it.

Maybe look at the headlines tomorrow to see why it won't be overturned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Why stop with good friday? Have alcohol on sale 24hrs a day, 365 days a year. I love the fact that there are 2 days a year that there is a chance some mother or father might not head down to the pub and maybe stay sober enough to be with their family. There are lots of alcoholics who never drink in front of family and only do it in the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

It is one day a year. If someone can't manage without alcohol for one day a year then they have an alcohol dependency and should seek help.

Personally its not great for tourism either, and does seem very strange to visitors who come here. Also if you really wanted to have a drink ya can always give 3 taps on the side window & your in.:D

• Advertisement

Personally its not great for tourism either, and does seem very strange to visitors who come here. Also if you really wanted to have a drink ya can always give 3 taps on the side window & your in.:D

Hasn't been an issue for tourism in the past.

So no real problem if it is that easy to bypass then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Who said anything about not managing? Your not only jumping to conclusions
    you leaping to them.

If its only one day then why go to the bother of banning sale at all, it would surely save a lot of hassle.

See its not about the day, its about the symbolism. Catholic Ireland still rules.

Who said anything about not managing? Your not only jumping to conclusions
    you leaping to them.

If its only one day then why go to the bother of banning sale at all, it would surely save a lot of hassle.

See its not about the day, its about the symbolism. Catholic Ireland still rules.

Still rules? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

bubblypop wrote: »

Anyone who is working 363 days of the year needs to have a word with their boss. Also as previously mentioned there is nothing stopping a pub landlord from closing any day they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

If you are over 66 years old you can go on the train to Cork for free with your Free pass and get a beer in the bar on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Step 1: Feel offended.
    Step 2: Open up Boards.
    Step 3: Create a thread.
    Step 4: Convince yourself you have an argument.
    Step 5: Hopelessly defend yourself.
    Step 6: Lose your argument on Page 1.
    Step 7: Cop the fcuk on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

Catholic Church are not blocking it.

Maybe look at the headlines tomorrow to see why it won't be overturned

Indeed, the emergency services favourite day of the year. Street cleaners love the lack of blood, piss and puke as well. So do those living with domestic abuse due to alcohol abuse. One day in the year where it's reduced a little doesn't do anyone any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

I'm not religious at all, and i like to drink too.
    I kind of like the good Friday and Christmas day alcohol bans.
    I think we should keep them.
    It doesn't hurt and it's kinda a nice thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

st patricks day used to be a dry day as well
    they changed it and now its national drinking day
    so if we changed good friday we could have 2 national drinking days

yay economics

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/all-the-pubs-in-ireland-used-to-be-closed-on-st-patricks-day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Christy42

76544567 wrote: »
    I'm not religious at all, and i like to drink too.
    I kind of like the good Friday and Christmas day alcohol bans.
    I think we should keep them.
    It doesn't hurt and it's kinda a nice thing.

Why is it a nice thing? Why not ban it on the 10th of every month as well. Just to have it as a nice thing like.

If a pub wants to close on good Friday it should be allowed to but I don't see why the law should be involved on that particular day. I mean I doubt I would go out good Friday but it is still a pointless law.

Advertisement