Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steps to get good friday alcohol ban overturned.

Options

Comments

So which part of religion bans me from buying alcohol after 10pm in shops?
    Or before 12.30pm on a Sunday?

Its just licensing law, what does it matter the origin of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

bubblypop wrote: »
    So which part of religion bans me from buying alcohol after 10pm in shops?
    Or before 12.30pm on a Sunday?

Its just licensing law, what does it matter the origin of it?

Because why should religion have any bearings on alcohol licensing laws in any way shape or form??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

No, you're right. It's more than that. It's a day of fast and abstinence, including abstinence from alcohol.

No it's less that a holy day of obligation. And fasting and abstance is voluntary and applies to practicing Catholics. No one is forcing practicing Catholic to, they are supposed to want to for their own benefit. Also fasting refers to the reduction of one's intake of food, while abstinence refers to the suggested refraining from meat. A Catholic is not specifically required to abstain from alcohol on Good Friday, but they may well choose to do so. Also any penance can be substituted for another, it doesn't specifically have to be meat and/or alcohol they refrain from any more.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Because why should religion have any bearings on alcohol licensing laws in any way shape or form??????

But they don't anymore.
    That's merely the origin of the law, I presume.

wakka12 wrote: »

It doesn't. The government makes licensing laws, and is always free to remove and change them any time they choose, and they often have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

No, you're right. It's more than that. It's a day of fast and abstinence, including abstinence from alcohol.

Yeah I better lock my doors and windows and draw the curtains in case an angry mob of priests try to get in and force me to stop drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Its not about "stocking up". It would be nice to go for a meal on Friday and
    have some wine with food.

The ban is about imposing religious dogma, it does't matter if its one day
    or 100 days, if you are religious then don't drink but you have no right to stop others.

Forcing you religious view on people is not ok!

Christmas day should apply too.

Just get over it. I'm an atheist as well and none of my rights or your rights are being ignored and nobody is forcing their religous views on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

......... wrote: »
    No it's less that a holy day of obligation. And fasting and abstance is voluntary and applies to practicing Catholics. No one is forcing practicing Catholic to, they are supposed to want to for their own benefit. Also fasting refers to the reduction of one's intake of food, while abstinence refers to the suggested refraining from meat. A Catholic is not specifically required to abstain from alcohol on Good Friday, but they may well choose to do so. Also any penance can be substituted for another, it doesn't specifically have to be meat and/or alcohol they refrain from any more.

I suggest you read the CCC. Good Friday is a 'black fast' which does include abstinence from alcohol.

But we digress.

Why shouldn't non Christians have a drink in Ireland on Good Friday?

I suggest you read the CCC. Good Friday is a 'black fast' which does include abstinence from alcohol.

Then you'll have no problem quoting the CCC number which says they may not take any alcohol on good Friday. Let's see if you're telling the truth.
    Why shouldn't non Christians have a drink in Ireland on Good Friday?

Where did I claim they shouldn't ? Tell the truth. Also you do realise that people can drink whatever they want on good friday. Only the sale of alcohol is not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

OP if you can't survive 24 hours without a drink I'd suggest you have a problem.

Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Christy42

It doesn't. The government makes licensing laws, and is always free to remove and change them any time they choose, and they often have.

And they picked this random Friday because...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Christy42 wrote: »
    And they picked this random Friday because...

Goodness only knows.

But if it was for religious reasons, i wouldn't have to work that day. I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I`m against blanket bans on the sale of alcohol based on religious reason.
    If individuals want to close their businesses on religious days and lose out on business that's their decision.

However, I would be in favour of the banning of the sale of alcohol on more days throughout the year. Simply as a public health exercise.
    I`m not particularly sure how successful this would be as my experience of attending sporting events on good Friday is I find some of the most drunk people I`ve ever seen in the stands with me. Still worth a trial run though.

P.S I do drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

alcohol bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

These 'if you can't manage a day without alcohol you have a problem' posts are painful, infantile stuff.

Particularly when the thread has contained a good number of posts highlighting just how simple it is to get alcohol in advance, if you really want to drink on that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Its not about "stocking up". It would be nice to go for a meal on Friday and
    have some wine with food.

The ban is about imposing religious dogma, it does't matter if its one day
    or 100 days, if you are religious then don't drink but you have no right to stop others.

Forcing you religious view on people is not ok!

Christmas day should apply too.

If it was because of 'religious dogma' you wouldn't be able to buy a meal containing meat either.

Goodness only knows.

But if it was for religious reasons, i wouldn't have to work that day. I do.

So we have a law and I can't find anyone who can tell why it is there. Yet for some reason people still want to keep it and none can give a solid reason.

Shockingly I feel like we have reached a conclusion that law should be removed.

I do love the logic that if only one of rules a religion sets out is imposed by law that it can't have been in for religious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

So we have a law and I can't find anyone who can tell why it is there. Yet for some reason people still want to keep it and none can give a solid reason.

I do love the logic that if only one of rules a religion sets out is imposed by law that it can't have been in for religious reasons.

Spot on. Some of the replies here are worthy of Trump. People denying that the ban is religious based. People getting stroppy and demanding a work around. People claiming the status quo (yeah yeah (not the Beatles either)) has won the argument. Utterly idiotic bilge.

Here's the message for all the god botherers of whatever flavor: follow your own religious rules in your own daft little life and stop trying to impose them on others and above all Fcuk off trying to get the law of the land uphold your nonsense. For clarity, Fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I would consider myself a Roman Catholic , but usually eat meat on Ash Weds and Good Friday .

Will drink alcohol on Good Friday too . It doesn't bother me .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I would consider myself a Roman Catholic , but usually eat meat on Ash Weds and Good Friday .

Will drink alcohol on Good Friday too . It doesn't bother me .

I don't believe in God.
    Still a Catholic, obviously.

• Advertisement

Because the government put it there. The people of on this thread who want to keep have all given the similar non religious reason, that there's more than enough alcohol availability and its misuse in Ireland every other day of the year

Where ?, so far most people on the thread are ether Meh who cares, or may as well leave it in place to give us all a break from the puke and piss filled antics on the streets and A&E for one day.

Because the government put it there. The people of on this thread who want to keep have all given the similar non religious reason, that there's more than enough alcohol availability and its misuse in Ireland every other day of the year

Where ?, so far most people on the thread are ether Meh who cares, or may as well leave it in place to give us all a break from the puke and piss filled antics on the streets and A&E for one day.

Lol. So let's pick the the third Friday in January and have it alcohol free day. Everyone is happy. And the state clearly withdraws its legal enforcement of a religious Day which oddly enough moved around every year. Odd that the legal ban moved toexactly the same day every year as the religious day. But nothing to see here. So, alcohol free day in January.

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Lol. So let's pick the the third Friday in January and have it alcohol free day. Everyone is happy. And the state clearly withdraws its legal enforcement of a religious Day which oddly enough moved around every year. Odd that the legal ban moved toexactly the same day every year as the religious day. But nothing to see here. So, alcohol free day in January.

sure, what would be wrong with it exactly, and encourage people to do something more healthy while they are at it. why would that be such a bad thing exactly ?

Because the government put it there is not a good enough reason to have it. You need a reason to keep it. Why is it there. Stopping people buying alcohol buying on good Friday is not doing anything to stop alcohol misuse. That is a terrible reason.

Where? The post saying there is no reason for the law. I mean if it is doing some good then expand it surely? Otherwise admit it does nothing to avoid alcohol misuse and get over it

Oh and the reason the government stuck it there in the first place was religious. I always like that these nice quaint leftovers have to coincide with religious reasons though they apparently have no relation to the religious reason.

How are you combating alcohol abuse? Oh we ban alcohol sales on the Friday before the first Sunday after the paschal full moon. I totally see a government coming up with this for non religious reasons.

sure, what would be wrong with it exactly, and encourage people to do something more healthy while they are at it. why would that be such a bad thing exactly ?

Where did I say it would be a bad thing? Exactly?

Where did I say it would be a bad thing? Exactly?

so you think an alcohol free day is a good idea ? or what are you whinging about exactly ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

If the law was changed about buying drink on good Friday what would you moan about instead?
    You'd better not go to live in Switzerland Fleawuss. All the public holidays are religious holidays and every ****ing thing is closed

so you think an alcohol free day is a good idea ? or what are you whinging about exactly ?

Ah. The best you can do. What a weak attempt to deal with the fact you were nailed. And then to try to characterize my pointing out the absurdity of the thing as whinging because you can't face the exposure of your spurious defense of a religiously based ban. Truly weak thinking.

Ah. The best you can do. What a weak attempt to deal with the fact you were nailed. And then to try to characterize my pointing out the absurdity of the thing as whinging because you can't face the exposure of your spurious defense of a religiously based ban. Truly weak thinking.

nailed with what, you are the one refusing to answer the question and instead are running away from it

• Advertisement

infogiver wrote: »
    If the law was changed about buying drink on good Friday what would you moan about instead?
    You'd better not go to live in Switzerland Fleawuss. All the public holidays are religious holidays and every ****ing thing is closed

You don't like people who want a secular state free from all the mumbo jumbo of so called self proclaimed revealed religions. Fair enough. But at least try to have some sort of cogent defense of theocracy and why the state should enforce religious rules other than trying to personalize attacks on posters. It shows you up badly.

Sorry to hear Switzerland is so backward. But then given its reputation for ethics free banking it might need the cover given by such hypocritical posturing as you describe.

Advertisement