Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steps to get good friday alcohol ban overturned.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

Christy42 wrote: »
    Why is it a nice thing? Why not ban it on the 10th of every month as well. Just to have it as a nice thing like.

If a pub wants to close on good Friday it should be allowed to but I don't see why the law should be involved on that particular day. I mean I doubt I would go out good Friday but it is still a pointless law.

Well we can do the 10th of every month if you want. But we already have two days and it's perfectly fine to me. But whatever you want to do about the 10ths, work away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Tigger wrote: »
    st patricks day used to be a dry day as well
    they changed it and now its national drinking day
    so if we changed good friday we could have 2 national drinking days

yay economics

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/all-the-pubs-in-ireland-used-to-be-closed-on-st-patricks-day

Why exactly would we want that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

Why exactly would we want that?

because Diageo needs a replacement for the puke fest that was "Aurhur's Day" and Good Friday would be perfect.

......... wrote: »
    because Diageo needs a replacement for the puke fest that was "Aurhur's Day" and good Friday would be perfect.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Christy42 wrote: »
    Why is it a nice thing? Why not ban it on the 10th of every month as well. Just to have it as a nice thing like.

If a pub wants to close on good Friday it should be allowed to but I don't see why the law should be involved on that particular day. I mean I doubt I would go out good Friday but it is still a pointless law.

I totally agree. I'm a practicing Catholic and will not be drinking that week, but if the pubs were open it wouldn't be compulsory to drink. Let people drink on Good Friday if they wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Step 1: Feel offended.
    Step 2: Open up Boards.
    Step 3: Create a thread.
    Step 4: Convince yourself you have an argument.
    Step 5: Hopelessly defend yourself.
    Step 6: Lose your argument on Page 1.
    Step 7: Cop the fcuk on.

That's a smug response.

I lost the argument, really? Oh shucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Its not about "stocking up". It would be nice to go for a meal on Friday and
    have some wine with food.

Well, you seem to making the most of this Friday night champ.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

At least in the last few years, there are pubs opening and serving food. I know of one place that will be serving Irish coffee's. And having a mini market out the back. If this thread stays open for 4 weeks, I'll drip feed clues to its location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Catholic Church are not blocking it.

Maybe look at the headlines tomorrow to see why it won't be overturned

I'm not saying the Catholic Church are blocking it.
    But it is a religious based reasoning on why the law is there or am I wrong?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I thought bit might have passed this year, but when presented to Francis Fitzgerald, she stone walled the idea. Her replacement might be more of the opinion. Who ever that may be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP there is no restriction on drinking on Good Friday. The only restriction is on buying alcohol.

If you are challenged by having to buy your alcohol up to 24 hours in advance, then I think you have bigger problems to be worrying about than Good Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Patser

Could we organise a massive protest piss up outside the Dáil on Good Friday, where we all show up with random bottles of stuff like Raki, Ouzo, Limencello that were bought on holidays because it seemed the norm, or 6 year old bottles of Bailey's, Sheridans, sherry that we were given as Christmas presents yonks ago..

You know, all that crap that you only drink on Good Friday anyway after you forget to stock up but get invited to a house party.

Just imagine the technicolour vomit Ministers will have to step over even weeks later.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

On principle, I agree.

But I still don't care that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

If Steps manage to get that ban overturned I'll raise a glass to them.

Hopefully some other 90s Pop bands will join the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bubblypop wrote: »
    Pubs are closed Christmas day as well.
    Should they open?

If they want, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

It's nothing to do with religion. So get over it.

It kinda is though, in that it moves with a church day of obligation.
    Hasn't been an issue for tourism in the past.

If you consider the pub trade to be a part of the tourism industry, it probably has been and continues to be an issue. It would be next to impossible to quantify how many tourists we lose out on due to the ban. It could be considerable, could be none.

For the sake of tourists, I'd like to see pubs open on GF. It doesn't bother me and I can get a pint if I want anyway (probably in Connolly). A friend of mine hosts an annual 'crucifixion party' but I usually spend it with family if not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

You can buy weed on good friday.

thee glitz wrote: »

If you consider the pub trade to be a part of the tourism industry, it probably has been and continues to be an issue. It would be next to impossible to quantify how many tourists we lose out on due to the ban. It could be considerable, could be none.

For the sake of tourists, I'd like to see pubs open on GF. It doesn't bother me and I can get a pint if I want anyway (probably in Connolly). A friend of mine hosts an annual 'crucifixion party' but I usually spend it with family if not working.

Who really cares? 1 day, so I'm guessing the effect in tourism is less than 1/3 of 1%. Hardly worth it.

On Good Friday and Christmas Day, I am always envious of those in the Rovers Return having a drink.

sugarman wrote: »
    These lads? Fair play to them

Didn't you hear?
    28847701.jpg

• Advertisement

On Good Friday and Christmas Day, I am always envious of those in the Rovers Return having a drink.

You know you can drink on these days right?
    You just can't buy drink

Who really cares? 1 day, so I'm guessing the effect in tourism is less than 1/3 of 1%. Hardly worth it.

Is it that fraction though... it's a bank holiday weekend and time of celebration and recreation here, in the UK, and US amongst others. There's no compelling (to me) reason for pubs to shut. If the government wanted to show deference given the day, I believe allowing pubs to open from say 5pm would achieve that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

Good Friday isn't a holy day of obligation in the Church

What tourists want pubs in particular open on good friday, or even care ?, can you produce any ? and do we really care if your friends have satanic style parties ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Good Friday isn't a holy day of obligation in the Church

No, you're right. It's more than that. It's a day of fast and abstinence, including abstinence from alcohol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Live65a846d0ee

Have a referendum on the banking of all religion, if we did that we would watch our glorious nation grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

If you are challenged by having to buy your alcohol up to 24 hours in advance, then I think you have bigger problems to be worrying about than Good Friday.

This seems to be a very common argument strategy in this thread.

A lot of posters (childishly/naively) try to make the issue about one's inability to abstain from alcohol for the one single day rather then the real issue.

It might be mentally too difficult for you, but you need to compartmentalize the difference between "abstaining" and the legal right to purchase.

If you cannot do this you have far bigger problems than you know.

The real issue is the legal ban on the sale of alcohol which is rooted in religious ideology.

Religion should have no baring on my life in anyway whatsoever.
    If it does, then I am at the mercy of your religion, you wouldn't be so blase about this if you couldn't buy pork on a particular day because of someone else's religion.

Its about equality, if you want a fair society then you take others views seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Is this about Steps Comeback

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

jackwigan wrote: »
    Good Friday is April 14th. Today is March 17th. You have nearly a month to prepare.

My advice on Thursday the 16th of March go into an off-licence. Buy enough alcohol to last you during Friday. Problem solved, you're welcome.

*Note: This also works for Christmas

The OP is not stupid, he clearly stated that the problem here was not obtaining alcohol but the fact that the church gets to dictate how non religious citizens live their lives. They shouldn't be able to do that, no matter how small or insignificant the 'control' may be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SteM

My wife's from London. The first time she came over here years ago was on Good Friday. She said there was a bunch of lads on the plane on a stag weekend, they spent the entire flight talking about where they were going drinking in Temple Bar that night. Mustn't have done their homework.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

because Diageo needs a replacement for the puke fest that was "Aurhur's Day" and Good Friday would be perfect.

Arthur's day! Forgot about the sham of a day. And the idiots who indulged it.

Advertisement