Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you "No Go" areas on boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Ive tended to change the areas that i go to since i joined boards since I have a lot of interests. As such theres very few forums i wouldnt at least consider visiting and if i can add something or help id usually try. That said theres a fair few forums that can be a bit exclusive to outsiders. At the moment i seem to spend my boards time here and also in the Werewolf/ forum games section (amazingly addictive game and great craic)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

A&A.

I'm an atheist and I think half of the lads in there are as mental as religious nuts. Constantly looking for something to whinge about and something to oppress them. It's like some threw a load of third wave feminists, twitter activists and religious fundi's in a pot and that forum was the result.

This 100%. I'm athiest or agnostic or whatever but the absence of a belief isn't my defining characteristic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

What I dislike is just people getting bent out of shape for the smallest, most trivial stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Personal Issues. I know the concept is well meaning enough and perhaps it is of some help to people but there always seems to be a coterie of posters dishing out stern moral epistles to whatever confused/vunerable misfortunate strays in. I've often wondered what type of vicarious/moralisitc person actually enjoys hanging around a place like that dishing out advice to strangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Personal Issues. I'm know the concept is well meaning enough and perhaps it is of some help to people but there always seems to be a coterie of posters dishing out stern moral epistles to whatever confused/vunerable misfortunate strays in. I've often wondered what type of vicarious/moralisitc person actually enjoys hanging around a place like that dishing out advice to strangers.

PI is simply the Internet expression of Agony Aunt pages from every major newspaper and women's magazine of the past few decades. Hugely popular stuff. The precursor to many television programs, some (like Jerry Springer), just about exploitation, some (like early Oprah) about human interest.

Human interest stories have always been really popular so it's no surprise that PI exists.

Passing judgement on those who respond is a lot weirder than being someone who responds IMO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

RayM wrote: »
    The atheism forum strikes me as the kind of place where, if you were to use the phrase "thank God..." it would only be a matter of time before someone came along and said "well, actually..."

I used the phrase "playing god" in relation to genetic engineering on After Hours and was attacked by some of the athiest regulars. Angry people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

steddyeddy wrote: »
    This 100%. I'm athiest or agnostic or whatever but the absence of a belief isn't my defining characteristic.

Fully agree , no issues have a laugh at religion or talking about the actual issues with it like schools admission but some of threads / posts get very dogmatic about not being religious, again proud atheist hate religion but that dos't define me and i'm not going to be a zelot about it.

TBH i think allot of the time those kinda posters can kill threads in that forum

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Radio can be pretty bad. The extent to which some posters appear to take the incompetence of some working in this profession personally, is ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Personally speaking I'd never go back to Disputes Resolution. It's a total waste of time, you won't get a fair hearing and the Mods will just back up any decision even if you demonstrate conclusively that bias was at play.
    Then they'll close your thread and effectively ban you from appealing.

My experience is that the whole forum is a total sham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    Personally speaking I'd never go back to Disputes Resolution. It's a total waste of time, you won't get a fair hearing and the Mods will just back up any decision even if you demonstrate conclusively that bias was at play.
    Then they'll close your thread and effectively ban you from appealing.

My experience is that the whole forum is a total sham.

+1

It exists only as lip service and a way to force posters to grovel to mods/admins.

In a previous username I had a mod tell me that because they didn't like my TONE they felt I wasn't sorry for my actions so were upholding a ban, despite no rules being broken by me.

It's a total sham.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Anywhere that people are getting wound up really. You'll see certain posters in a thread and you'll know that they're going to piss their miserablness* all over it so you don't even bother.

Unfortunately this is spreading like wildfire so there are less and less places to post.

Lighten up folks! Smile more. It's good for the soul. If you still have one :p

*totally a word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Second that.
    Cheer Up folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The sports section, I go nowhere near it, not a sports fan anyway.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Anywhere that people are getting wound up really. You'll see certain posters in a thread and you'll know that they're going to piss their miserablness* all over it so you don't even bother.

Unfortunately this is spreading like wildfire so there are less and less places to post.

*totally a word.

Of course it is a word, if you spell it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Advbrd wrote: »

yeah it's spelled misadvbrdle :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Advbrd wrote: »

See?

Seeeee?

Sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Why the hell is there no Poll here? This is a very Pollable topic. Could someone who knows anything about setting up a Poll create one. Please?

I find 'Teaching and Lecturing' quite depressing. 90% of it seems to be moaning about money and how horrible teaching is (you rarely see anything on lecturing). Just drop in and scan the thread titles if you doubt me.

Sometimes a poor soul drops in asking for advice on joining the profession. They're usually shot down with 'don't do it, it's so tough!' and you never see them again. I've given up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

LordSutch wrote: »
    Hang on a minute. I enjoy Christmas, I really love it (in December), but not in August & September. Hence the post that got me banned for six months :(

Last year I posted that I didn't like the word "Christmasssy".
    Post was deleted within the minute, a ban handed out, and a severe telling off ensued.
    Those boys don't mess about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Post was deleted within the minute, a ban handed out, and a severe telling off ensued.

You should have been banned from the whole site permanently imo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Actually boards prison could be perceived as a no go area, the smell from it would deter a lot of boardsies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ya know I always check these things out where a poster claims they were unfairly banned as it is in my remit to ensure the mods are not being over zealous. Funny how what is presented here and the reality are 2 completely different things.
    Firstly there are no bans on your history. This would seem strange as you claim above you had been banned from the Christmas forum. On a closer look you actually got a yellow card which is barely even a slap on the wrist.
    Secondly this did not occur for the use of the word Christmassy as you well know.
    The Christmas forum is a feel good forum where people go and talk about the joys of Christmas. If we take the smoking forum for example as a place where people go to discuss smoking - They don't want to be told how disgusting they are and how they are all going to die. So when you go to Xmas and start describing the core topic as 'tatty' 'consumerist' 'cynical' 'market driven' this takes away from the feel good factor. If you want to bitch about Christmas then that forum is not for you. Similar to the smoking being unsuitable for anti smokers, beer drinking being unsuitable for rabid pioneers, soccer being unsuitable for people who hate soccer, TLL being unsuitable for sexism, the list goes on. Common sense takes you a long way in life where it is used.
    That said if you are still sore about a little ticking off that you received over a year ago then the internet is going to seem like a dark place for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Ya know I always check these things out where a poster claims they were unfairly banned as it is in my remit to ensure the mods are not being over zealous. Funny how what is presented here and the reality are 2 completely different things.
    Firstly there are no bans on your history. This would seem strange as you claim above you had been banned from the Christmas forum. On a closer look you actually got a yellow card which is barely even a slap on the wrist.
    Secondly this did not occur for the use of the word Christmassy as you well know.
    The Christmas forum is a feel good forum where people go and talk about the joys of Christmas. If we take the smoking forum for example as a place where people go to discuss smoking - They don't want to be told how disgusting they are and how they are all going to die. So when you go to Xmas and start describing the core topic as 'tatty' 'consumerist' 'cynical' 'market driven' this takes away from the feel good factor. If you want to bitch about Christmas then that forum is not for you. Similar to the smoking being unsuitable for anti smokers, beer drinking being unsuitable for rabid pioneers, soccer being unsuitable for people who hate soccer, TLL being unsuitable for sexism, the list goes on. Common sense takes you a long way in life where it is used.
    That said if you are still sore about a little ticking off that you received over a year ago then the internet is going to seem like a dark place for you.

Send him back to the Christmas forum, he's going to need some ice for that burn.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

I had suspicions about how accurate the reporters were being regarding their tragic backstories. I gotta admit, it's downright amusing to see a mod go hell no on being group-maligned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I used to love the Aircraft and aviation forum. As a nervous flyer I found it really useful to hear about the day to day insights in to flying and to be honest I'm really interested in the topic. The Flightradar24 thread was particularly good to see what planes were flying over and to put 'terrifying' incidents reported in the media in to perspective. I found some of the users really helpful and happy to answer queries.

But there was a huge upheaval around a year ago due to ongoing issues with some regulars getting all precious about stupid questions and comments cluttering up the forum - particularly related to travelling. The solution was to set up a sticky for those threads but I have to say I got paranoid about posting in the wrong place, not using correct terminology and now don't feel comfortable at all there.

Even the Flightradar24 thread has become full of abbreviations and tech lingo, some I understand from my time on there, some I don't, making it difficult to read. I suppose that's a result of them having excluded the non-aviation geeks, they don't need to. Maybe that's the point, I wasn't supposed to be in there, so it worked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I used to love the Aircraft and aviation forum. As a nervous flyer I found it really useful to hear about the day to day insights in to flying and to be honest I'm really interested in the topic. The Flightradar24 thread was particularly good to see what planes were flying over and to put 'terrifying' incidents reported in the media in to perspective. I found some of the users really helpful and happy to answer queries.

But there was a huge upheaval around a year ago due to ongoing issues with some regulars getting all precious about stupid questions and comments cluttering up the forum - particularly related to travelling. The solution was to set up a sticky for those threads but I have to say I got paranoid about posting in the wrong place, not using correct terminology and now don't feel comfortable at all there.

Even the Flightradar24 thread has become full of abbreviations and tech lingo, some I understand from my time on there, some I don't, making it difficult to read. I suppose that's a result of them having excluded the non-aviation geeks, they don't need to. Maybe that's the point, I wasn't supposed to be in there, so it worked!

Did you try asking someone there what the abbreviations meant?

It's a difficult line to draw between common language and technical language. We see it sometimes in F&F where people without much understanding of Farming come in with questions and the community try their best to help.

And then there are those that already have their minds made up about a subject and are unwilling to listen to an alternative viewpoint. Regulars view this as trolling while outsiders view it as closed minds.

I suppose what I am saying is you will have to work a bit on a forum to get accepted, it's not a right bestowed from above for everyone to be welcomed with open arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Did you try asking someone there what the abbreviations meant?

It's a difficult line to draw between common language and technical language. We see it sometimes in F&F where people without much understanding of Farming come in with questions and the community try their best to help.

And then there are those that already have their minds made up about a subject and are unwilling to listen to an alternative viewpoint. Regulars view this as trolling while outsiders view it as closed minds.

I suppose what I am saying is you will have to work a bit on a forum to get accepted, it's not a right bestowed from above for everyone to be welcomed with open arms.

I'm talking about how the forum changed from being welcoming to being a no go area for me. I have no problem with abbreviations and technical terms in a forum, and will ask what they mean when I feel comfortable that I won't be annoying the regular forum users. You mention the Farming forum as an example of where that works.

People with questions used to be made feel welcome, it was when they started being treated passive aggressively that the tone of the forum changed and I no longer felt comfortable as you couldn't be sure if you were posting in the right place or asking a stupid question. It wasn't about having an alternative viewpoint it was about no longer feeling welcome. I wasn't the only one. There was a lengthy feedback thread on what was happening to the forum and I as well as others made this point.
    Maybe it's calmed down again but for me it became a no go area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I'm talking about how the forum changed from being welcoming to being a no go area for me. I have no problem with abbreviations and technical terms in a forum, and will ask what they mean when I feel comfortable that I won't be annoying the regular forum users. You mention the Farming forum as an example of where that works.

People with questions used to be made feel welcome, it was when they started being treated passive aggressively that the tone of the forum changed and I no longer felt comfortable as you couldn't be sure if you were posting in the right place or asking a stupid question. It wasn't about having an alternative viewpoint it was about no longer feeling welcome. I wasn't the only one. There was a lengthy feedback thread on what was happening to the forum and I as well as others made this point.
    Maybe it's calmed down again but for me it became a no go area.
    It's gone a lot quieter over there, but I never felt like people were being passive aggresive.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Oh relax yourself, would you.
    I wasn't making an "official complaint".
    Yellow card, black card, red card...who cares.
    When I posted, I didn't realise that everybody posting on that forum had to sing off the same hymn sheet.
    Now I do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

Oh relax yourself, would you.
    I wasn't making an "official complaint".
    Yellow card, black card, red card...who cares.
    When I posted, I didn't realise that everybody posting on that forum had to sing off the same hymn sheet.
    Now I do.

Accept that you got owned and let's move on :D

Advertisement