Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you "No Go" areas on boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I mainly use boards on mobile and while I have a few I always check (werewolf, AH, Weddings, some TV ones) I love wandering into random forums. I see a few people talking bout the Farmers forum, that's one of my guilty pleasures. Depending on my mood I'd go for a wander into PI, Ladies Lounge, Gentlemans Club, Food, Accom, Work and Jobs, and basically whatever has an interesting title and comes up on the recent posts on the homepage! :P

I don't avoid any but like I'd have no interest in visiting Leaving Cert or Teaching or TV shows I don't watch. I also don't cycle or sport so you'll never see me there either.

In general though, a lot of the forums (ladies lounge is a good example) have quietened down since the site revamp a while back imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I got banned off the paranormal thread for being a non believer so I suppose that's a defacto no-go area for me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I often wonder what poseses an alpha male cyclist to shave his legs.
    My friend is a transvestite nice guy and he told me cycling and dresses go hand and hand he loves shaving his legs........then they ban me from the cycling forum

I feel very offended

I can imagine cyclists at a Tommy Tiernan or Billy Connolly gig....

They're sooooo sensitive...

Your post in that thread made absolutely no point or sense to the thread. Let shaving is to do with cuts and road rash. Far easier to clean.

I like to stay away from threads that like to generalize and lump all types of people as one but there are so many as boards core members seem to be goons who have weird obsessions with their cars and cyclists

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I also need to stay out of the GAA forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Jayop wrote: »
    In fairness there was a thread there not too long ago started by someone looking for advice about going to a months mind mass for a good friend and the general consensus was that he should just go and not worry about the mass. Of course there was a a few hard-line voices but most in that instance were sensible.

I know i contributed to that thread , most were rational and fair but the few that give the forum its militant name were there in full force , i sometimes cringe at those posts a little and i do try and avoid those threads.

Try and stick to more real issues thinks we can all agree on like removing religion from schools etc.. i hate seeing that petty oh so your'e not a real atheist crap like.

That said some great regular posters and good discussions had in there , but i can see why its featured a few times in this thread.

• Advertisement

I steer clear of the I am AN ATHEIST/Devout Christian/Other Religion forums because I can't stand the Everyone Else Is Stupid And Wrong And Deserves To Be Sneered At vibe, and are also seriously unwelcoming places for new posters. The paranormal forum is an eye-opener, not in a good way. The Conspiracies Theory forum is a scary, obsessive place that makes me fear for humanity. The Beauty forum while often helpful and informative, is another cultish eye opener.

I'm not keen on chat threads because they always wind up dominated by one or two posters using them for cringy flirting that just makes me pity them, and what I hate more than anything are the multiquote marathons that a few particular posters engage in, they're the death knell of anything worth reading.

I did forget about the Christmas forum, must have a look there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

mansize wrote: »
    I love reading the farmers forum, it seems a very helpful one.

The Farming Forum is the one place I find you can always get genuine help on Boards - Not just people mouthing off rubbish for the sake of it with various agendas.

Not saying you don't get it sometimes in other places too, but the ol' farmers never let me down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Swanner wrote: »
    I usually try and avoid militant cyclists, militant atheists and militant dog owners in that order...

I'm in the military.

I'm a cyclist, an atheist and a dog (2 dogs) owner.

Guess that makes me a militant [^^^all those :D ]

I feel a bit mean now judging other posting styles unfavourably. The auld multiquoters drive me mad but sure what harm. I'm in no position to pity any of them being a flawed human myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Star_Nupa

Any thread looking for advice about health, fitness, diet, exercise. Just ends up with a combo of bro science and people who are recommending a complete diet overhaul combined with a workout regime Arnold would be proud of, when all the person was asking was how to use the stepper machine in the gym.

It's a bit crap alright. The advice usually goes like this:

Stop eating bread. Eat more fat. Mmm bacon is good etc. P!ss off. I love potato's, rice and bread and shocker - you can actually lose weight and look good while eating them.

Lift heavy - start doing 5x5. Bore off! If I want to look good 5x5 is the last f*cking thing you should be doing!

This post sums it up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/328i6c/psa_dont_waste_your_time_on_powerlifting_routines/?st=ivlg9sa2&sh=4a34d05e

Too many amateurs in there who've read a few articles and all of a sudden they're dishing out advice.

/rant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Loving this thread OP
    Would love to see a poll.

'Militant cyclist' is my new favorite term.

Careful now,, I got carded for Cycle stasi. Very sensitive souls over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-CINCLANTFLT do not post in this thread again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The atheism forum strikes me as the kind of place where, if you were to use the phrase "thank God..." it would only be a matter of time before someone came along and said "well, actually..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

RayM wrote: »
    The atheism forum strikes me as the kind of place where, if you were to use the phrase "thank God..." it would only be a matter of time before someone came along and said "well, actually..."

Bunch of unholier-than-thous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Christianity forum.

Utterly uninspiring. And wholly unsettling.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cienciano wrote: »
    Soccer is the worst.
    Thread on pundits? Turns into Liverpool vs man utd debate
    Barca v Bayern match thread? Turns into Liverpool vs man utd debate
    Best irish player? Turns into Liverpool vs man utd debate
    League of Ireland? Turns into Liverpool vs man utd debate
    Thread on the Peruvian league playoff? Turns into Liverpool vs man utd debate

In fairness, that was just that one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Christianity forum.

Utterly uninspiring. And wholly unsettling.

There's no conscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Well I was being playful about cyclists and received an infraction... I guess I best avoid AH from now on...

Why don't mod accounts say moderator underneath them any more?

ken wrote: »
    Mod-CINCLANTFLT do not post in this thread again.

Why? I suppose I am about to be banned for the posts I made before I saw this? It seems I am out of here... so long and thanks for all the fun!

Mod-Banned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Thread on my Locked / Closed watch list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

railer201 wrote: »
    There's no conscription.
    No. But there is indoctrination.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

No. But there is indoctrination.

The indoctrination is voluntary - it's puzzling why atheists want to hang around a Christian forum - what a waste of time !

That reminds me the Atheist forum - a rough spot in cyber space compared with the Christianity forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

It might be a great blessing in the view of many if posters who obviously regard some forums with contempt and no go areas never posted in them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,209 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The Hunting forum, went on to it a few years ago-as a farmer- to ask a question and ended up with an infraction , havent gone back there since

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I really see no need to visit the sheep forum.

Always trust your gut,its a mistake i certainly won't make again ill tell you that much for nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Well I was being playful about cyclists and received an infraction... I guess I best avoid AH from now on...

Yeah, I saw that. Was there any explanation of what you did wrong or was it just the ongoing lack of a sense of humour?

Just checking if I'm banned...

Just checking if I'm banned...

Not yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I hate the politics forum. Just full of Fine Gael fan boys who try to rationalise everything the dear leader does. Sycophantic and pathetic. Why would you spend your precious time doing that?

Same could be said for the shinner bots to be fair. There's little moderate discussion.

Advertisement