Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you "No Go" areas on boards?

Options
  • 16-11-2016 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭

Lately I find myself avoiding certain parts of boards as I fell they have a groupthink narrative and shout down anyone that disagrees or challenges them, or just use petty juvenile labels.

Is there no go areas for you on boards?

(Politics cafe and any immigration thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Not forums but there are certain types of threads that I avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Suas11 wrote: »
    Not forums but there are certain types of threads that I avoid.

It probably is more threads than whole fora tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

TLL....I always feel like the sly old fox in the chicken house in that forum...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

After Hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Oh God, not this thread.

I'm out

/thread

• Advertisement

TLL....I always feel like the sly old fox in the chicken house in that forum...

I prefer TLL to TGC tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Avoid (mostly) soccer and rugby fora. Politics and the Ladies' Lounge, the Gentlemen's Club, Beer Guts and Receding Hairlines and the Nocturnal Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Many years ago I always said I would stay out of politics and AH,
    Now I primarily post in AH, politics, and political cafe ,
    PC I find almost ridiculous at times less actual light discussion and more personal attacks .

But I wouldn't consider anything really no go for me

Oh God, not this thread.

I'm out

/thread

love the passive aggressive contribution!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

I really see no need to visit the sheep forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

The cycling w@nkers forum.
    They are over there today justifying some prick cyclist punching a driver in front of his wife and kid.
    Dare you say anything negative at all about one of the entitled (unts and banned straight away as they only like to pat each other on the back and stop any criticism whatsoever.

Mod-Banned

I really see no need to visit the sheep forum.

There's a sheep forum???

I love reading the farmers forum, it seems a very helpful one.

I don't avoid any forums but threads are a different matter. I don't go near the very political or divisive discussions. So abortion debate, public sector pay, industrial action, same sex marriage, etc. I like to have a bit of fun here and not get caught up in serious matters. I have enough of that in my own life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I avoid any thread that seems working class.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Avoid (mostly) soccer and rugby fora. Politics and the Ladies' Lounge, the Gentlemen's Club, Beer Guts and Receding Hairlines and the Nocturnal Forum.

Cyclists in the motoring forum can be a very sensitive people

mansize wrote: »
    love the passive aggressive contribution!

Twas humour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

And god help you if you criticise cyclists in the cycling thread...
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057671105/16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I avoid certain threads because I'll only vex myself by getting involved.

I'm only involved in online forums with about 10 years but the changes I've witnessed in the attitudes towards each other is saddening. This change is far more evident in the American forums, ime, but that crap is becoming the norm here now.

And god help you if you criticise cyclists in the cycling thread...
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057671105/16

Jaysus, where lost souls wander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Jaysus, where lost souls wander.

But threads on favourite ST ship I do enjoy... NCC1701D FTW!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

There's a sheep forum???

Yeah I inadvertently found it one night when I saw a thread titled...."how long does your ram last?"
    I was much disappointed.....bloody click bait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Used to post a lot in AH and the Politics forums but tend to avoid both these days. Got tired of having the same arguments with the same people. Tend to stick mainly to the Games and Soccer forums nowadays though I'll still occasionally pop into AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

OK, I'll avoid that in future. Not sure as a cyclist or a motorist, but whatever. I'm doubly sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Atheism or 'other' Religious forums. Very bigoted people in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gossamer

Animal and Pet Issues, well when I used to look at it there was some ridiculous sh1te being spouted. I give my doggy woggy a special organic dry mix I source from Sweden, at five euro per kernel it's such a bargain. I get him a special mix because Pedigree Chum is DIRT and you should be hung for feeding your dog that you filthy piece of sh1t. Only the best for my fur babies!

That and the beauty form. UGHHH. I llloooooovveeee wooopie woopie woo lipstick it really gives me that clown effect I'm going for. And only 50 quid - bargain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

There's a sheep forum???

Yes! I love rambling on the boards: you get a bit of knowledge about areas of life totally removed from your own experience. The filthy rich watch snobs are a fascinating species. Ranting and Raving is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Mostly now just in AH, used to be in politics a lot, rather just sometimes read there now as its just usuall roundabout stories. I like the GAA and non drinkers group fora to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,073 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I avoid certain threads because I'll only vex myself by getting involved.

I'm only involved in online forums with about 10 years but the changes I've witnessed in the attitudes towards each other is saddening. This change is far more evident in the American forums, ime, but that crap is becoming the norm here now.

I joined Boards ten years ago, I posted for about 12 months then got so fed up with the quality of responses and posting that I stopped. About 18 months later I came back (and probably got a bit thicker skinned) but I do think that interaction has improved considerably over the past 5 or 6 years.

In AH now you can have reasonable discussions, occasionally very genuine personal discussion, and still have the odd thread about pissing, if that's what you want.

Places I avoid - there are a few, but mostly because I am not interested in the topic. I can't be bothered with the endless polarised cyclist/motorist squabbles in the respective forums, but there are loads of other forums that I should take a look at and just don't think to. I agree the farming forum is interesting even if you have no idea what they are on about, there is a good community in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Politics. People get way too invested in arguments that lead to nowhere. Also as another poster mentioned, threads about the likes of Abortion, the Public Sector and Social Welfare.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I joined Boards ten years ago, I posted for about 12 months then got so fed up with the quality of responses and posting that I stopped. About 18 months later I came back (and probably got a bit thicker skinned) but I do think that interaction has improved considerably over the past 5 or 6 years.

In AH now you can have reasonable discussions, occasionally very genuine personal discussion, and still have the odd thread about pissing, if that's what you want.

Places I avoid - there are a few, but mostly because I am not interested in the topic. I can't be bothered with the endless polarised cyclist/motorist squabbles in the respective forums, but there are loads of other forums that I should take a look at and just don't think to. I agree the farming forum is interesting even if you have no idea what they are on about, there is a good community in there.

The Techies are very good in the computer section, lots of good advice, even the tradesmen / building section has good info. :)

The Personal issues forum even got a mention on Newstalk (in a positive way)

The Gaming humour thread keeps me laughing.

Rant and Rave can put you in a good move.

Legal forums can get you out of jail (j/k)

Advertisement