Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you "No Go" areas on boards?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

LordSutch wrote: »
    My 'no go' area is the Christmas forum.

Amongst all the Christmas hype during August & September I foolishly posted this in early September ......... "My Christmas countdown starts after Halloween. Its still only early September for goodness sake".

And for that^ post I got a six month ban, hence that's my no go area.

Its appalling alright. The mods are completely biased and accept nothing but all posts being pro Christmas being the most fab time of the year, and that time of the year, if you are doing it properly, being a full 12 months long of tinsel, mince pies and elves on shelves. Unless you are on the same permanent mulled wine high, you are not allowed post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

A&A.

I'm an atheist and I think half of the lads in there are as mental as religious nuts. Constantly looking for something to whinge about and something to oppress them. It's like some threw a load of third wave feminists, twitter activists and religious fundi's in a pot and that forum was the result.

I find forums like that to be boring and I'm an atheist.

"Well lads, we're all here. God doesn't exist right?"

"yep"

"Er........ what do we talk about now"

I avoid the Ladies Lounge because it feels like I'm walking into a Ladies Toilet if I click on it. It just feels like somewhere I shouldn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Its appalling alright. The mods are completely biased and accept nothing but all posts being pro Christmas being the most fab time of the year, and that time of the year, if you are doing it properly, being a full 12 months long of tinsel, mince pies and elves on shelves. Unless you are on the same permanent mulled wine high, you are not allowed post.
    But clearly that forum was created for people who enjoy Christmas and only want to be positive about it so why if you don't feel the same way do you care or bother posting there?

What other reaction could the mods in a specialty forum take?

Grayson wrote: »
    I find forums like that to be boring and I'm an atheist.

"Well lads, we're all here. God doesn't exist right?"

"yep"

"Er........ what do we talk about now"

I avoid the Ladies Lounge because it feels like I'm walking into a Ladies Toilet if I click on it. It just feels like somewhere I shouldn't be.

Yeah I read a thread in the ladies lounge once and I'll never go back. Wayyyy too much information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Road tax.

It's a disgrace, Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,235 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Soccer forum is best avoided unless speaking about the game as a whole.

Personal issues is nothing more than a curtain twitchers paradise.

Soccer is the worst.
    Thread on pundits? Turns into Liverpool vs man utd debate
    Barca v Bayern match thread? Turns into Liverpool vs man utd debate
    Best irish player? Turns into Liverpool vs man utd debate
    League of Ireland? Turns into Liverpool vs man utd debate
    Thread on the Peruvian league playoff? Turns into Liverpool vs man utd debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

I go wherever I please....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Jayop wrote: »
    But clearly that forum was created for people who enjoy Christmas 'topic' and only want to be positive about it so why if you don't feel the same way do you care or bother posting there?

That's the definition of an echo chamber.

Allow discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

About the Christmas forum,I mean you wouldn't join a bird watching society to go to the meetings and talk about how you don't like birds, don't like watching them, and what's the deal with binoculars anyway.

If 'discussion' along the lines of 'I don't like this thing everyone is here because they like, discuss' is allowed then a lot of the time all other discussion gets sidelined. Not good for the people at whom the forum is aimed, headache for the mods, all for the sake of the few people who insist as a point of principle to trash talk an area of interest specifically in the forum for fans of it and not in the other places they could do that.

If you want a discussion with dissenting views just start a thread on literally anything in AH. This is a meta example right here like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

I'm indefinitely barred from the cycling forum.
    Those Guy's are so so sensitive....

A bit of banter and they're off crying to the mods......

Yeh I've seen in mentioned now a few times totally agree not a fan of the cyclists either , anti bant and a very tetchy, defensive bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

These days I more and more find the entire site a no-go area to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

keano_afc wrote: »
    These days I more and more find the entire site a no-go area to be honest.
    Talk about it to Joe on Luiveline until 3. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I usually try and avoid militant cyclists, militant atheists and militant dog owners in that order..

I always assumed i was alone in thinking this and it was purely down to my own bias but interesting to see that so many others think exactly the same..

The cyclists and atheists in particular, always conjure up this image in my head of some Ian Beale, middle england type character, always quoting rules and looking for a reason to tell someone else that they're wrong.. I can imagine them driving Volvo estates, carrying clipboards and being chair people of their local neighborhood watch schemes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Loving this thread OP
    Would love to see a poll.

'Militant cyclist' is my new favorite term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Swanner wrote: »
    I usually try and avoid militant cyclists, militant atheists and militant dog owners in that order..

I always assumed i was alone in thinking this and it was purely down to my own bias but interesting to see that so many others think exactly the same..

The cyclists and atheists in particular, always conjure up this image in my head of some Ian Beale, middle england type character, always quoting rules and looking for a reason to tell someone else that they're wrong.. I can imagine them driving Volvo estates, carrying clipboards and being chair people of their local neighborhood watch schemes...

Proud atheist here ,but definitely not the stuffy middle England you speak

fully agree with your assessment of the forum on here it can be a laugh by times but there are some that take it way way to seriously and are actually looking to catch people out left right and center you know the sort , The oh you went to you're mothers catholic funeral so you're not a proper atheist types or the ones that defend Islam like what the fcuk is that about either your against all religion or your not. 90% of the thread are just RCC bashing which is good fun and all but it gets kinda old.

That's the definition of an echo chamber.

Allow discussion.

It's intended to be a harmless happy happy forum, if you are u call that an echo chamber then so be it. Discussion is allowed, but people trying to rile the locals isn't. Like was said, if you want to complain about Christmas then start a thread in happy hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Everyone seems to love the cyclists!! I don't go into that forum but simply because I don't cycle so no interest! I try to stay away from any general discussions about race as there's just no reasoning with some but occasionally it sneaks itself into a discussion that's completely unrelated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

How to troll Swanner in one picture.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/b0/ee/0f/b0ee0f4d950a7c80ec3806d9dde7ad97.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Jesus. F*cking. Christ. :)

How the f*ck have ya'll turned this one into a motorist/cyclist debate.

I swear to baby jesus that I will start petitioning for site-wide bans* for anyone that brings this up again.

*I cant really do that but if you are reading this far, just cut out the bike V car stuff. Thanks.

Proud atheist here ,but definitely not the stuffy middle England you speak

fully agree with your assessment of the forum on here it can be a laugh by times but there are some that take it way way to seriously and are actually looking to catch people out left right and center you know the sort , The oh you went to you're mothers catholic funeral so you're not a proper atheist types or the ones that defend Islam like what the fcuk is that about either your against all religion or your not. 90% of the thread are just RCC bashing which is good fun and all but it gets kinda old.

In fairness there was a thread there not too long ago started by someone looking for advice about going to a months mind mass for a good friend and the general consensus was that he should just go and not worry about the mass. Of course there was a a few hard-line voices but most in that instance were sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Boom_Bap wrote: »

I swear to baby jesus that I will start petitioning for site-wide bans* for anyone that brings this up again.

*I cant really do that but if you are reading this far, just cut out the bike V car stuff. Thanks.

Could you imagine the almighty mess the multiculturalism thread would be if it turned out that all migrants cycled and all anti migrant people drove (Or the other way round). We'd have labels of nazi cyclists and jihadi drivers.

(That could be an interesting thread title. Threads/forums that should never merge)

Grayson wrote: »
    Could you imagine the almighty mess the multiculturalism thread would be if it turned out that all migrants cycled and all anti migrant people drove (Or the other way round). We'd have labels of nazi cyclists and jihadi drivers.

(That could be an interesting thread title. Threads/forums that should never merge)

They're a ****en disgrace! I'd shoot the whole bloody lot of 'em! The gubbimint should do something about the migrant nazi jihadi cyclists, stealing our petrol and jobs.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sorry...sarcasm detector was faulty earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

But clearly that forum was created for people who enjoy Christmas and only want to be positive about it so why if you don't feel the same way do you care or bother posting there?

Hang on a minute. I enjoy Christmas, I really love it (in December), but not in August & September. Hence the post that got me banned for six months :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Boom_Bap wrote: »

It's not my fault the cyclists can't afford a car...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I often wonder what poseses an alpha male cyclist to shave his legs.
    My friend is a transvestite nice guy and he told me cycling and dresses go hand and hand he loves shaving his legs........then they ban me from the cycling forum

I feel very offended

I can imagine cyclists at a Tommy Tiernan or Billy Connolly gig....

They're sooooo sensitive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

I often what poseses an alpha male cyclist to shave his legs.
    My friend is a transvestite nice guy and he told me cycling and dresses go hand and hand he loves shaving his legs........then they ban me from the cycling forum

I feel very offended

I can imagine cyclists at a Tommy Tiernan or Billy Connolly gig....

They're sooooo sensitive...

It's not our fault they can't... ah, you get the idea at this stage... what I liked was I said I was going to do the whole "can't afford a car" thing and they leaped on it anyway ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Stealthfins & CINCLANTFLT: don't forget to 'befriend' each other on your Public Profiles:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

To be fair to the Hunting forum - I don't particularly like it, but I posted in there one time with a question and got reasonable and considered responses.

The Cycling forum however... As a cyclist, I made a post on breaking lights (yeah - it's part of the fun of cycling, but I wasn't doing it and I had been pushed out of the way by somebody who wanted to) and I got torn out of it. Absolutely torn to shreds.

Advertisement