Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you "No Go" areas on boards?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

The agnostics and atheists forum is a good place to go if you want to lose faith in humanity. The irony is that some of them are as intolerant and narrow-minded as the religious people they despise.

The Talk To forums of utility companies I'm not a customer of. Though I occasionally look in on the Tesco Mobile forum to see if their support staff have found any new ways to tell people they'll never be getting 4G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Shooting and hunting forums. Dangerous people getting their kicks talking about guns and the enjoyment they take in killing animals.

#ClayPigeonLivesMatter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭cml387

I avoid any discussion of upcoming cold weather in the weather forum.
    Suggesting that heavy snow and freezing weather has maybe one or two disadvantages is met with hysterical denunciations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Outdoor Pursuits - "Doggers Anonymous"
    ken wrote: »
    Fücking brilliant.

bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not really.

I post mainly in After Hours and in the Limerick forums. I've posted in other forums to get info about something specific to that forum, but don't even browse other forums enough to know where might be a no-go area.

One thing I did notice though from a few perusals of Politics Cafe was that (at that time at least) it was full of posters who had already been banned from AH for their obnoxious posting style, who were continuing to post the same wankery in the Cafe.

I'd always assumed that AH had the lowest standards of all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭LCD

On the basis of my boards experience, I'd say the most annoying flatmate you could ever end up with would be an atheist pet-owner that's an avid cyclist.

You'd be up for manslaughter within a week.

Ah balls, thats me

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Sports...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I hate the politics forum. Just full of Fine Gael fan boys who try to rationalise everything the dear leader does. Sycophantic and pathetic. Why would you spend your precious time doing that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Ladies lounge and Personal issues.
    There are things I do not need to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

no. If some other poster says something I don't like......it's a quick trip to the ignore button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Nothing good has come from the Irish Water threads.

How many thousands of posts? Back and forth. And back again.

I gave up on it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Shooting and hunting forums. Dangerous people getting their kicks talking about guns and the enjoyment they take in killing animals.

I ended up in the shooting forum one time and came across a thread where a guy had shot a deer but couldn't get it home so he broke its legs and fashioned it into a backpack (along with many accompanying pictures)

All I could think of was how hilarious it would be if someone transferred that thread into the Animal and Pet issues forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,486 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The cycling forum is an echo chamber for militant cyclists, you really need your lycra and a helmet mounted go pro to have any chance of getting a word in over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I hate going into the Christianity forum because its generally full of militant atheists who are trying to use Christopher Hitchens style put downs. I am sure some of them are foaming at the mouth trying to find logical fallacies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

i Try and avoid Christianity and any of the other Religious or Spiritual forums

They literally make my brain hurt :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

I try to avoid, not always successfully, the welfare-bashing threads on AH.

They are mainly an excuse for extreme right wingers to foam at the mouth and whip themselves into a frenzy of rage (ironically, often while posting on their employers' time, but don't expect consistency from the reich wing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Any abortion thread ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

The hate watchers in the tv forums, just too, trollish.

The cycling forum, waaaay too militant.

Christianity forum which seems full of nutters.

Any thread about abortion, same sex marriage, politics, any minority groups rights, welfare etc, always just attracts the extremists who are very shoutery.

Any thread looking for advice about health, fitness, diet, exercise. Just ends up with a combo of bro science and people who are recommending a complete diet overhaul combined with a workout regime Arnold would be proud of, when all the person was asking was how to use the stepper machine in the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I avoid the religious/anti-religious forums.

I oft wondered how extremism can happen, but you only need to look there to see the dogmatic beliefs these people espouse.

Also the models forum, but only because of the initial disappointment of it being something totally different to my expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

A&P after a brief foray in there I discovered much to my shock that I was a supporter of puppy farming and I don't know what love is.

All NI politics threads, the same five or six people trying to troll each other into saying something that they can report and get the other banned as well as a couple of cut and paste merchant's who regardless of the topic of conversation will have IRA death statistics to hand regardless of relevance.

Most FG threads as their fan boys are a special breed that do manage to make my blood boil.

The soccer forum after United get beat. Not to avoid opposition fans but rather the United fans in our own thread.

That's it really. Lots of stuff I have no interest in but nothing else I avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

boards in general has gone a bit no go for me lately. You have to type out what you would like to say, then re read it with a sarcastic voice in your head, delete it, try type it again so you won't get taken out of context, before just deleting it and giving up.

For a while I was spending effort replying to angry people when in person we would have figured out that there was no malice on either side within two seconds. Now most of the time I'll just type out a reply then close the tab.

Lots of people seem to think the cycling forum is a no go area. I'd tend to agree, purely based on the fact I have no reason to ever go there.

Motors is gone fairly no go for me. For a while I could just type whatever I wanted but all of a sudden everything turned into having to be prepared to get into 20 posts back and forth about the same topics over and over. If you go against the hive even slightly with careful explanation and say you're open to having your mind changed you'll still end up in a **** throwing contest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

I presumed the Models forum was full of scantily dressed hot chicks languidly posting about their lingerie choice for today.

The reality is very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Surprised about motors being mentioned. I tend to dip in and out of that every so often with the no problems. Maybe it's the threads I look at like bangernomics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

The cycling forum isnt as "militant" as people make it out to be.

Mostly people who label it as such are ignorant, uneducated on the subject and trendy band wagon hopper on-ers that are agreaved for some reason.

Also, there is a huuuuuuge gap between the different "types" of cyclists.

Cyclists who use it as a sport or an invested hobby are far more capable and respectful of the road.

Then you have commuters, most of whom fit into the catagory above, same applies.

Then you have mammy and daddy cyclists who like to put their 15 kids on one bike and wobble to the school. Some of these fcukers need a slap.

The cycle couriers thinking they are in a computer game or are "stateside" indy, fixie legends but are really stupid dodgy fcukers.

Then you have some casual commuters who are fcuking idiots. These fcukers give all normal, law abiding cyclists a bad name. Breaking all the rules and fcuking sh1t up for everyone. These are also the type of person who is a general fcuktard on every mode of transport.

I actually find more car drivers to be far more militant than cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I tend to avoid anything relating to religion or politics. It always just descends into a highly polarised, depressing, mud-slinging shitfest. Everyone is apparently extremely far left or extremely far right, there is no middle ground and the opposition are all fascists. There is no attempt at considered discussion, no effort made to understand the other person's perspective. Buzzwords and name calling. Exhausting.

I tend to enjoy browsing any board that is about a shared interest, even if I don't actually share that interest. People interacting like actual humans, sharing opinions and helping each other out. It's like a massage for the brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its certain themes more that anything else.

public servants pay in any area its is a topic it will be a few reasonable points followed by an avalanche of foaming at the mouth rage.

Welfare the same but with added anecdotes.

Religion in an Irish context the same as above along with an obsession with the Iona institute (all five of them )

Immigration add paranoia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Conspiracy theories. I used to go in there to kinda mock their silly theories, but then I realised that some of them probably have actual mental problems, so I felt bad and stopped going there.

The cycling forum is just full of horrible people.

That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Jayop wrote: »
    Surprised about motors being mentioned. I tend to dip in and out of that every so often with the no problems. Maybe it's the threads I look at like bangernomics.

Dash cam thread is 99% of my issues with it to be fair to all of the nice people on motors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I cant be the only one who realised some individuals are mediating mental health issues through boards/social media.

Advertisement