Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you "No Go" areas on boards?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

A&A.

I'm an atheist and I think half of the lads in there are as mental as religious nuts. Constantly looking for something to whinge about and something to oppress them. It's like some threw a load of third wave feminists, twitter activists and religious fundi's in a pot and that forum was the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

A&A.

I'm an atheist and I think half of the lads in there are as mental as religious nuts. Constantly looking for something to whinge about and something to oppress them. It's like some threw a load of third wave feminists, twitter activists and religious fundi's in a pot and that forum was the result.

On the basis of my boards experience, I'd say the most annoying flatmate you could ever end up with would be an atheist pet-owner that's an avid cyclist.

You'd be up for manslaughter within a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

The atheist forum. Real bang of self-satisfied overweight neckbeard about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I read, listen and talk about politics everyday, but I rarely feel the urge to go near the Politics Forums on Boards. It can be fairly depressing.

For a long while I would have avoided anything vaguely political in After Hours too, but now, sometimes, I get sucked in. I'm starting, or at least trying to, recognise that in general it isn't really worth it, and by the time anything of that ilk gets to 400 reply+ territory whatever debate that was once there has long since vanished and it's become about the same three or four posters multi-qouting each other dismissively to try to win an argument between themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I try to avoid any political threads these days. Mainly because I'm a white middle-class college-educated heterosexual male living in a first-world country. What valid issues do I have to complain about?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Whenever you feel stupid or pointless go read a few threads the pro life campaign post in. You'll feel amazing for not being that moronic and inept and backward.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I try to avoid any political threads these days. Mainly because I'm a white middle-class college-educated heterosexual male living in a first-world country. What valid issues do I have to complain about?

Loads, it would seem!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Arghus wrote: »
    Loads, it would seem!
    Having to moan about the rise of cigarette prices seems invalid compared to not being able to legally ride a bike because of your gender ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

I like to avoide the "Rate my run. I ran 5k in my bare feet, shaving off 0.8 seconds off my PB, and I think that it was made possible because I've finally started sewing my own personalised nipple bandages onto my chest, and I haven't had a beer since 1992 and I find I'm getting more out of life than I ever did when I was happier younger".

I'm simultaneously jealous of, guilty from and mainly bored with their dedication to the art of running. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

... but the changes I've witnessed in the attitudes towards each other is saddening. This change is far more evident in the American forums, ime, but that crap is becoming the norm here now.
    What has changed?
    What is emboldened. People were more civil, friendly, open and polite even when in disagreement. Even people you weren't familiar with were better-mannered but now, even here, if you spell a word wrong you're going to be on the receiving end of some little ar$eholes definition of justice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Could we have a poll? Most disliked forum? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I avoid the Cycling Forum ......... cyclists, from my personal experience, tend to be tossers in real-life and even more so on Boards.

The LGBTwhatever Forum ......... they ain't open to any real adult debates regarding their "issues".

The Animal/Pet Forum .......... not a bad place if you need some quick general (very general!!!) advice but wouldn't hang around too long unless you're a "four legs good, two legs bad" type person. Some of them would happily feed your toddler to their darling furry friends!!

The Atheist Forum .......... that lot are best left to wallow in their own self-induced purgatory.

The Feedback Forum ........... I've realised that it's more for show than for anything else. "We listen, we care, your input is important to us ........... now, who's next to ignore?". :rolleyes:

The DRP Forum .......... should be avoided at all costs as you're doomed if you end up there, the outcome is 99.9% inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Soccer forum is best avoided unless speaking about the game as a whole.

Personal issues is nothing more than a curtain twitchers paradise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I avoid the Animals&Pets forum, god help you if you suggest anything out of line with their groupthink.
    Got a ban there for suggesting a person with a rat infestation problem should use Storm rat poison.
    Was immediately accused of animal cruelty, and further more, was accused of being a cat killer. Because "its well known that people use Rat Poison to deliberately poison cats" WHF?

Religion & Christianity forum has about four self appointed posters with their own axe to grind, who seem to bend every question to their own particular hobbyhorse theory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The gym and jogging forums. Avoid them all.

'I've never seen a jogger smiling. The minute I do I might go jogging.'

You will never see a jogger or gym bunny smiling. Avoid them and everything they talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I avoid the Animals&Pets forum, god help you if you suggest anything out of line with their groupthink.
    Got a ban there for suggesting a person with a rat infestation problem should use Storm rat poison.
    Was immediately accused of animal cruelty, and further more, was accused of being a cat killer. Because "its well known that people use Rat Poison to deliberately poison cats" WHF?

Religion & Christianity forum has about four self appointed posters with their own axe to grind, who seem to bend every question to their own particular hobbyhorse theory.

Exact same as you and the exact same reasons too. I find some of the posts in the Animals&Pets forum somewhat concerning :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

There's lots of forums I never go in to because I have zero interest in them - I honestly don't even know what half the titles under Tech mean. There's a few I actively dislike and avoid though - TLL, TGC and A&P. All for the same reason, that I feel there's a group think issue in each one. On the other hand I lurk in several forums I have absolutely no connection with, and sometimes wonder what the hell am I reading them for - but there's just something about them I find fascinating. The Farming one being the main one and also Weddings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I avoid:

Oulones and Oulfellas - Because Im ageist.
    LBGTQ - Because Im a homophobe.
    Sports - Because Im not quite a jock.
    Computers & Technology - Because Im not quite a nerd.
    Religion - Because its all bollox.
    Farming - Because im not a culchie.
    TLL - Because Im sexist.
    TGC - Because im not metrosexual.
    Politics - Too many cry babies in there.
    Conspiracy Theory - Too many psychos in there.
    Celebrity & Showbiz - Fcuk that noise
    Sex & Sexuality - Its quieter than my dead Grannys moped.
    Leitrim - Yeah right
    Sponsored Forums - Screw you guys.
    My Little Pony - Whhhhhhyyyyyy???!
    Mustard - So sad.
    Outdoor Pursuits - "Doggers Anonymous"
    Pro Wrestling - Sweaty half naked men rolling and grabbing.
    Psychics & Mediums - Get bent...didnt see that comin did ye!

Everywhere else is sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The rugby forum. Because I would imagine it's full of the kind of people who like rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

There's no particular Forums that I actively avoid, although I do sometimes venture into TLL or TGC and venture out again quite quickly :)

There are some thread topics that I am allergic to - the Irish Language, Abortion, Feminism etc. It's usually possible to predict who dominate the posting there and what they will say, repeatedly. I'd love if Boards implemented an 'Ignore Thread' function, similar to the way you can ignore a member.

As for guilty pleasures, add me to the Farming & Forestry fans. Also Accommodation & Property - the stories of nightmare tenants, nightmare landlords and nightmare estate agents in there are strangely entertaining when you're not the one affected. History has some great threads too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I avoid:

Outdoor Pursuits - "Doggers Anonymous"

Fücking brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Banned from the Cycling forum, and also the Irish Cult Forum, but apart from that, generally stay out of Personal Issues, as I have gotten a few warnings when I start attacking other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Yeah, don't put your dog outside the back door if he p1sses in the house!
    Get him a therapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Yes! I love rambling on the boards: you get a bit of knowledge about areas of life totally removed from your own experience. The filthy rich watch snobs are a fascinating species. Ranting and Raving is brilliant.

I bloody love the watch forum, its so interesting, I feel how technophobes in the tech fora feel and it's great, they're just class looking.

Generally avoid anything political, don't post in AH much, will often click into interesting looking threads regardless of the parent forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

My 'no go' area is the Christmas forum.

Amongst all the Christmas hype during August & September I foolishly posted this in early September ......... "My Christmas countdown starts after Halloween. Its still only early September for goodness sake".

And for that^ post I got a six month ban, hence that's my no go area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Anything legal you will get attacked about looking for advice even if you aren't.
    Anything tax- you will get attacked about looking for tax avoidance advice even if you aren't

In fact I just stick to AH, radio & TV, there are people everywhere else waiting to pounce for the slightest inaccuracy IMO

Not a forum, but I now avoid 99% of the chat threads that you get, because they're all so overly cliquey.

Outside of that, I tend to just avoid every other forum that isn't on my My Forums list.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm not sure about actively avoiding any forums, other than out of simple disinterest.
    And I'm not banned from any of them, I must be a really boring person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Shooting and hunting forums. Dangerous people getting their kicks talking about guns and the enjoyment they take in killing animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Parenting. They tend to quite like kids in there.

Advertisement