Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread (Target Shooting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Scalachi wrote: »
    Not not saying your cheek piece / lump of wood is not lovely Sparks......... but Down in Wicklow, specifically Rathdrum, people like a little bit more comfort!

Regards

DB

Who is that Devilishly handsome man, looks a bit like the Millionaire Bruce wayne!

The raised cheekpiece is fan----tastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Not not saying your cheek piece / lump of wood is not lovely Sparks......... but Down in Wicklow, specifically Rathdrum, people like a little bit more comfort!

Regards

DB
    Didn't last that long though, 20 shots and it was gone :eek:

Still have a sore neck from that match ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ah, that's allright, we're used to everyone outside of Wicklow being made of sterner stuff ;)

Mind you... this is a few hours after the first time that cheekpiece was used in anger:

GEDC0635a.jpg

And it didn't go away until four days later. I think I'm going to be developing a pretty cool facial scar at this rate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭FLOYDSTER

After last weekends poor shoot, 590 yes, but (couldnt call the shots) and finding after getting up my anti-glare tube was loose which holds the Highend I thought I'd try it last night at 15yds in Comber!

so, with the anti-glare tube tight-2 x 10 shot groups

tightag2.jpg
    tightag1.jpg

now with it loosened slightly and with no sight adjustment!

looseag2.jpg
    Looseag1.jpg

I wont make that mistake again!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

The 4th group's the best one. Keep it loose :D

• Advertisement

demonloop wrote: »
    The 4th group's the best one. Keep it loose :D

LOL!! there is just the slight elevation change to take into account!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

That's what sights are for. :p Equipment mess-ups are a real pain though. Most frustrating thing is not being able to call the shots, so you start looking at everything you're doing, and messing with your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MiGiD

Mark you should check out this stuff for making your cheekpiece. I spotted it in the Science Gallery earlier. Could make a very nice grip also

http://sugru.com

Yeah, was thinking that allright when I saw them first. But for now I'm just going to macho it out :D

I'm thinking I may have to do something about my cheekpiece. Every time I shoot, I have a dark red line across under my cheekbone for a while after as I like a lot of head pressure. MiGiD could see it through the beard after one match. May have to look into some sort of soft material for the edge and that Sugru stuff looks interesting.

• Advertisement

Personally, I think the facial scar is rather fetching. Add an eyepatch, and you'd complete the look *and* save on making blinders :D

Sparks wrote: »
    Personally, I think the facial scar is rather fetching. Add an eyepatch, and you'd complete the look *and* save on making blinders :D

Yeah, it's not really very dashing in my case, just looks like self-mutilation. :p And to hell with blinders, can't see wind flags with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

I like a lot of head pressure.

:D:D;)

Sorry I couldn't resist it :o

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

My new rifle:

attachment.php?attachmentid=136611&stc=1&d=1290802812

And packed for transport:

attachment.php?attachmentid=136607&stc=1&d=1290802753

The test group is pretty nice too. :)

I picked up the rear sight today (thanks to the lads from Intershoot who supplied all the parts for the rifle) and got my first bit of training done in DURC. 99 and a 98 for a postal shoot. The 98 was a pretty sloppy one, so I'm confident I could easily bring up a point or two on that.

It's much easier to shoot 10s on the new rifle. I guess that's the best confirmation that the purchase was a worthwhile one! :D

Even Herself Indoors looked at that and went "Oooh, shiny!" :D

Is it not a pain to disassemble it so far every time you go training though? Or does it only get broken down for transport and live assembled in the safe?

Even Herself Indoors looked at that and went "Oooh, shiny!" :D

:D That's one way of getting more firearms into the house. Make them pretty! ;)

That second photo was not taken with a flash BTW. :D
    Is it not a pain to disassemble it so far every time you go training though? Or does it only get broken down for transport and live assembled in the safe?

If I've been training at home (SCATT, dry fire, etc), I leave the barrel & action in the stock and leave the buttplate carrier on. That way it actually reaches the foam bits in the safe to stand up properly. Otherwise, only the barrel & action go in the safe, it's not worth the effort to assemble it just for storage.

I'm getting a good bit quicker at assembling it though, so it's not too much of a chore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Very nice. I would wish you best of luck with her, but going by the test group its not needed. ;)

One thing though, i cry about having to attach my bipod every time (FTR), how do you cope with assembling the rifle every time. :D

Congrats.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Very nice. I would wish you best of luck with her, but going by the test group its not needed. ;)

It's kinda freaky how much easier it is to get good 10s now. I mean, DURC's Walther KK200 which I was using before is a brilliant rifle and is well capable of shooting 600 in the right hands but this new one is way ahead of it!

I was saying to one of the guys in DURC today that if I was the kind of person to name a rifle, I'd call it The Unfair Advantage. :D
    One thing though, i cry about having to attach my bipod every time (FTR), how do you cope with assembling the rifle every time. :D

You get used to it. A good torque wrench is your friend! :)

IRLConor wrote: »
    I was saying to one of the guys in DURC today that if I was the kind of person to name a rifle, I'd call it The Unfair Advantage. :D
    gosh, I hate people who do that...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

....., I'd call it The Unfair Advantage. :D

Its like cheating ........................ , but not. :cool:

You get used to it. A good torque wrench is your friend! :)

Was going to ask that. I use a torque wrench when setting the gun originally, but rarely if ever use it again. I presume its set to the same each time or do you find yourself "tweaking" it for different results? I know in Benchrest .22 different torque settings can make a huge difference when it comes to tens, but with the aperature sights would it make that much of a difference.

Ps - Excuse the newbie questions, but as you know i'm a spectator not a participant in prone shooting.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

If I've been training at home (SCATT, dry fire, etc),

How has the SCATT been treating you??

Was going to ask that. I use a torque wrench when setting the gun originally, but rarely if ever use it again. I presume its set to the same each time or do you find yourself "tweaking" it for different results? I know in Benchrest .22 different torque settings can make a huge difference when it comes to tens, but with the aperature sights would it make that much of a difference.

So far I haven't played with it, but I will in the future. For now, I'll stick with being consistent even if it's sub-optimal. I'm trying to change as few things as possible at a time. :)
    bigred wrote: »
    How has the SCATT been treating you??

I've had to fight with it a little. It works, kinda*, on Windows 7 running in VMWare on my laptop. I'm going to try it on Windows XP on my girlfriend's laptop to see if it works better on that.

* Occasional hangs for >30 secs - I suspect timing issues due to the drivers not playing well with USB via VMWare.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

I know Floydster's very modest and wouldn't post the likes of this ( :rolleyes: ) but another big score posted at Dungannon! Range record AFAIK

4398b430.jpg

Brilliant to see. He's hit that a few times this year now. Just have to make it a regular thing! I like the Meyton display, but is it possible to show the entire group for the match or even for ten shot strings rather than the fives?

Brilliant to see. He's hit that a few times this year now. Just have to make it a regular thing! I like the Meyton display, but is it possible to show the entire group for the match or even for ten shot strings rather than the fives?

As you know Dave although nice to do it counts for nothing in training!;), I'm not sure how the setup works but myself and Sam always print the result and this gives your 6 x 10 shot groups and your 60 shot group!

I'll grab it and scan it for you!;)

FLOYDSTER wrote: »
    As you know Dave although nice to do it counts for nothing in training!;), I'm not sure how the setup works but myself and Sam always print the result and this gives your 6 x 10 shot groups and your 60 shot group!

I'll grab it and scan it for you!;)

Brilliant, cheers! Really must get up for some of these sessions now. Need the work all the more now!

Brilliant, cheers! Really must get up for some of these sessions now. Need the work all the more now!

Be great to see any of you guys up for some training sessions!!

Here is the scan Dave!

Dungannon597scan.jpg

I like the format. Good and clear, lots of information. Nice groups. That fourth string of yours is a 105.2. Very nice indeed!

I was in the range this evening. I started off with a group of 5 sighters just to warm up and all of them went in the 10 ring so I decided I'd shoot a card for DURC's internal "ladder" competition. That turned out as a 99 (7 decent 10s, 2 very squeaky 10s and a 9 that I called out just as I shot it) so I figured that I should really shoot my postal league cards.

They ended up as two 100s, like so:

attachment.php?attachmentid=141884&stc=1&d=1294098253

attachment.php?attachmentid=141885&stc=1&d=1294098263

So I'm pretty happy with that. :)

In total, 45 rounds used, 41 of which were 10s (I had a few dodgy sighters for the two postal league cards). 446/450 is almost a 595 equivalent, so I called it a day and headed off for beer and profiteroles. :)

• Advertisement

Excellent shooting Conor. Make sure and throw up the results of a few outdoor sessions as well. That Bleiker is shooting brilliantly!

Advertisement