Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread (Target Shooting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Good to hear you're back in the saddle, sparks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And as soon as I finish rebuilding my cheekpiece (literally, I'm recarving the thing), I'll be back to the air rifle as well.
    Not so sure about the smallbore, getting to a smallbore range (even DURC) is a bit tricky these days. But I'll enter the UCESSA air pistol postal for a bit of fun and we'll see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

And as soon as I finish rebuilding my cheekpiece (literally, I'm recarving the thing),

And they didn't teach cheekpiece carving in the Arts & Craft's section of the LC, in my day!;) How's the carving of african figurines sideline coming along anyway? Any pics?

Best of luck with that - and hopefully we'll see you on a smallbore range none-too-far-away soon!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭vixdname

My Remington 700 in .223, with Accuracy International stage 1.5, Harris Bi-pod and topped off with a NightForce NXS 5.5-22X56 Scope.
    My pride and joy !!!! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Very nice Vixdname.

Is it a new/recent setup or are you just posting pictures now?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

vixdname wrote: »
    My Remington 700 in .223, with Accuracy International stage 1.5, Harris Bi-pod and topped off with a NightForce NXS 5.5-22X56 Scope.
    My pride and joy !!!! :D

Really nice setup Vixdname, love the matt green stocks

Hope you don't mind but I removed the 4th picture as you could just about read the serial number

Got the rifle back this evening and i must say i could not be happier with the results both of the barrel and stock. The work done by Fergal White and Enda Walsh not only met, but exceeded my expectations.

I have not had time to mount the scope, but a few busy days ahead getting her broken in and zeroed. Will post a few pics later of the fully fitted kit, but for now here is a few of the new barrel and stock.

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=7431picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=7430

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=7429picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=7428

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=7426picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=7427
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Wow that stock is stunning, what are the details of the action, barrel trigger etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

WOW!! BelowaverageIQ summed it up
    stunning

and I want it ....

HOMER.jpg

Fish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

I want one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dwighet wrote: »
    I want one

Them stocks are really nice, I have held a few of them. They stick to the side of the face like glue. And the Ergo grip is marvelous on the stock.

Enda is a skilled craftsman "I have never met him, but if he is reading this; Hats off to you Sir"

It will be interesting how the "pimped" savage FTR will perform on the range, as she was doing well before the new stock and (truflite I believe, could be a Kreiger though) barrel job

................, what are the details of the action, barrel trigger etc?

The action was blued, but remains in whole a Savage action. The trigger is also still the original trigger. I had thoughts of a RifleBasix or Kelby trigger, but honestly i like the Savage trigger. Either that or i've just got used to it.

The barrel is a Truflite, 32" with a 1:10 twist, heavy profile. I intend staying with heavier rounds such as 185gr Berger or 190 SMK.

Had her on the range today, breaking her in and my God the difference even at only 100yds. Instead of a ragged hole i now have a smaller, tighter and much "cleaner" hole/group. I can see the difference between it and the original Savage and i thought it was accurate. Will give her a bit more of a running tomorrow then some longer stuff on Saturday/Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ezridax wrote: »
    The action was blued, but remains in whole a Savage action. The trigger is also still the original trigger. I had thoughts of a RifleBasix or Kelby trigger, but honestly i like the Savage trigger. Either that or i've just got used to it.

The barrel is a Truflite, 32" with a 1:10 twist, heavy profile. I intend staying with heavier rounds such as 185gr Berger or 190 SMK.

Had her on the range today, breaking her in and my God the difference even at only 100yds. Instead of a ragged hole i now have a smaller, tighter and much "cleaner" hole/group. I can see the difference between it and the original Savage and i thought it was accurate. Will give her a bit more of a running tomorrow then some longer stuff on Saturday/Sunday.

Well you may wear!

FrankenRifle lives!
    The new cheekpiece in place and the new sights and all ready to shoot:

20100923_009a.jpg

20100923_008a.jpg

20100923_016b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Now, some photos of shot groups! I want proof you actually fired the damn thing after all that. :p

20100921_017b.jpg

:p:D

I'll be back on the range next week IWM, more photos then :D
    Mind you, I need more time in the gym. Noone said getting married and changing jobs led to you gaining weight! Shooting suit now feels like a straitjacket...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Jasus Sparks,

Don't forget the grey hair, bald patch, empty wallet and theres still the tadpoles to come :eek: (:D:D:D)

Now, some photos of shot groups! I want proof you actually fired the damn thing after all that. :p

Grand so, here you go, five shot group, standing, jacket only (no shooting trousers, no shooting boots, just my normal street clothes):

28.9.10.2.jpg

:)

Sparks wrote: »
    FrankenRifle lives!
    The new cheekpiece in place and the new sights and all ready to shoot:

20100923_009a.jpg

hang on hang on

I thought there was some wood carving needed for this cheek piece. That looks like a piece of off the shelf 2x1

I was expecting some beautiful curves and flowing lines like on ezridax's new stock.

:p

That's phase two Veg :D
    There's a block of modelling clay in my kitbag for it as well, but I thought it might be a better idea to get a few hours on the range again, let my position settle in with the new setup and then go carving.
    Otherwise, I could find in a few weeks that I'd perfectly carved in the wrong cheekpiece contours :D

• Advertisement

That's phase two Veg :D
    There's a block of modelling clay in my kitbag for it as well, but I thought it might be a better idea to get a few hours on the range again, let my position settle in with the new setup and then go carving.
    Otherwise, I could find in a few weeks that I'd perfectly carved in the wrong cheekpiece contours :D

Ah ok I thought this was an after shot, after hours of painstaking hand crafting and carving.

I take back my jibes so :D

No, there's still work to come yet. There will be photos then, mind you :D

Five? Where are the other fifty-five? :p Nice shooting. Must see whether I can beat it in between coaching newbies tonight.

It was a nice group, but the first shot of the night was nicer:

28.9.10.1.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭FLOYDSTER

Going cheap!!!...........Bleiker

Looks like my new Bleiker No2 is going back as I've been told the groups are a little "stringy"!!..........................I'll manage with it!! lol;)

A couple of 5 shot groups from Dungannon today!, they are a little rough as its on a patched target! , I used my Midas+ which was tested for Bleiker No1;)

Bleiker25shot3.jpg

Bleiker25shot1.jpg

Bleiker25shot2.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Were they out of the shoulder? And was it a calm day?

I wouldn't quite send that back yet! :)

IRLConor wrote: »
    Were they out of the shoulder? And was it a calm day?

I wouldn't quite send that back yet! :)

Out of the shoulder and calm enough!, although it was Dungannon so not easy!;)

Will be interesting to see what happens with some ammo it actually likes now! Taking it to ISCH Hannover for a batch I take it?

Will be interesting to see what happens with some ammo it actually likes now! Taking it to ISCH Hannover for a batch I take it?

Deffo Dave!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Scalachi

Not not saying your cheek piece / lump of wood is not lovely Sparks......... but Down in Wicklow, specifically Rathdrum, people like a little bit more comfort!

Regards

DB

Advertisement