Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread (Target Shooting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

clivej wrote: »
    Peice of pissssssss to fit and you will see the difference at the range.

+ 1 :D

A trigger job makes the CZ a real shooter ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Well the father got his new rifle Tuesday. Its a savage model 12, Palma. Has an adjustable cheek piece and 3 way butt plate. Topped of with a Nightforce 12-42x56 NXS scope mounted on NF 30mm rings and a NF 20moa picatinny rail. The bipod is mine (and no he thinks he is getting it, but.............................)

picture.php?pictureid=5774&albumid=939&dl=1270753841&thumb=1

I got the pleasure of setting it up,:rolleyes:, and zeroing it for him on Wednesday. Took it out on the range today to try a few shots at 600yds.

After doing a 25mtr zero for 600yds (for safety reasons) we headed out to the 600 firing point. After a few minutes discussing wind i reckoned 1.5 moa would suffice. It was coming on strong but almost directly behind us, while at times coming left to right.

He fired in groups of three. And cleaned between each 3 shot group. The first group (shots 1, 2, 3) was a respectable sub 3" group with perfect elevation but not enough windage. When he fired the fourth shot i noticed it was down and left. The fifth shot came up 2" and right 2.5-3". I called him (via radio) and told him not to clean the rifle, but to start another 3 shot group with no adjustments to windage or elevation. He then shot a 30mm (1.25") group (shots 6, 7 ,8) just right of the V-bull and slightly low.

I again called him to tell him not to clean the rifle, but immediately go for another group. However i agreed that some windage needed to be added. 0.5moa later and the next group came in (shots 9, 10, 11). Windage was all but perfect however either his (father) point of aim was slightly off or the wind eased slightly, but there was a subtle drop in the group, but nothing a 0.25 moa wouldn't solve. The final group measured 29mm (1.2").

picture.php?pictureid=5775&albumid=939&dl=1270753841&thumb=1

At that we finished up. Needless to say "happy" didn't cover how he was/is feeling. Will not be allowed to live this down for a while. Setting up another man's rifle so he can shoot better than me. :confused:

Anyway i thought it would be good to show what the rifle is capable off doing (in the right hands according to himself).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

awesome stuff mate....Those savage rifles are doing job

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

That's spectacular stuff. What I want to know is, is the father going to buy a jacket and shoot that rifle the way it was intended to be shot, with iron sights? ;)

dwight wrote:
    awesome stuff mate....Those savage rifles are doing job

Cheers bud. Seem to be the dogs gonads alright. I thought my yolk was good, but that thing seems to go that step further.

...........is the father going to buy a jacket and shoot that rifle the way it was intended to be shot, with iron sights? ;)

Cheers.

Don't put ideas in his head. When we left the range he thought he could shoot blind folded. Not taking from him, as the gun is only as good as the nut behind the butt. Funnily enough, he did mention the fact that she could take iron sights when looking for a rifle, so you never know................
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

ezridax wrote: »
    Cheers.

Don't put ideas in his head. When we left the range he thought he could shoot blind folded. Not taking from him, as the gun is only as good as the nut behind the butt. Funnily enough, he did mention the fact that she could take iron sights when looking for a rifle, so you never know................

That would be good, and those would be some great groups to see. He's got his wind-reading down anyway! Great to see some of them in Ireland anyway, hopefully a few people will take them down the Palma/TR road as well as the F/TR road.

Just fitted a Karsten cheek riser to my Savage FTR today until i make a decision on a new stock.

A very big thank you is due to zulu_dawn for sorting me out with the riser.

It was surprisingly easy to fit. Took about 11 minutes and the majority of that was taking the stock of and making sure it was 100% level and marked correctly before drilling. Here are the results...............

picture.php?pictureid=5788&albumid=939&dl=1270841331&thumb=1picture.php?pictureid=5787&albumid=939&dl=1270841331&thumb=1

Overall happy enough. Provides more than enough height, is more comfortable than the block that came with the Savage and allows the bolt to be removed without having to drop the riser.

So all in all i'm a very happy camper.

Thanks again zulu_dawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Just fitted a Karsten cheek riser to my Savage FTR today until i make a decision on a new stock.

A very big thank you is due to zulu_dawn for sorting me out with the riser.

It was surprisingly easy to fit. Took about 11 minutes and the majority of that was taking the stock of and making sure it was 100% level and marked correctly before drilling. Here are the results...............

picture.php?pictureid=5788&albumid=939&dl=1270841331&thumb=1picture.php?pictureid=5787&albumid=939&dl=1270841331&thumb=1

Overall happy enough. Provides more than enough height, is more comfortable than the block that came with the Savage and allows the bolt to be removed without having to drop the riser.

So all in all i'm a very happy camper.

Thanks again zulu_dawn.

I got a karsten in the post tuesday.

Drill the stock sunday going well.
    I like the foam bit. What did you use to make it stick?

I used a spray adhesive that the ould fella had for sticking carpet to floors in cars. Great tack and doesn't leave a hard lump under the foam.

I masked off the rest of the riser and sprayed it with the adhesive. I also sprayed the foam piece and stuck the two together. The masking tape does 2 things. It protects the rest of the riser but the straight edge also gives me my line for making sure the foam is placed squarely and evenly on the riser.

PS- you probably already know, but the foam piece should be included with the riser.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

He then shot a 30mm (1.25") group (shots 6, 7 ,8) just right of the V-bull and slightly low. The final group measured 29mm (1.2").

That is some SERIOUS shooting Ez. Fair play to your aul fella. I'd be happy with it at 200, never mind 600! :D
    Didn't see a mention of caliber?
    I presume its of the 6.5 variety?

• Advertisement

I should have looked at the savage website before posting. :o
    Only available in .308? Thats even more impressive. Serious kudo's to the shooting.
    Out of curiosity, what ammo was used?

Cheers dos29.

I was using 155gr HPS Target master ammo. Muzzle velocity of about 2950-3000 fps. They were going well through my rifle, but recently i tried 168gr HPS and ofund that although slightly slower (requiring more moa) they were better able to buck the wind and seemed more consistant than the 155gr.

He used my 168gr ammo. I asked him would he mind me posting the results and when i told him that lads were impressed with the shooting he nearly dropped a brick on the spot. In his own words " If i don't shoot this well everytime people will think i faked those shots". I've tried to convince him that even if he had a pure moment of brilliance that he cannot do again its still good shooting and at least he knows the rifle i capable of it.

I've definately gotta get my hands on some of those HPS. Especially at the prices being proclaimed, they sound like absolute quality. ;)

They are the business lad. Apart from the cost factor they out perform all other ammo, have next to no fliers (i've had none yet through 300 rounds), give better consistancy and are specifically designed for target shooting by a target shooter (Carmicheal).

Intershoot in the North have them in stock and apart from the drive they are running them at the cheapest price. I believe others dealers in the South are now stocking them and at not too much of an increase in price.

As said beofre though (no insult intended to anyone here) i will be more impressed if the dealers keep the prices as is, bar any increases from the manufacturers, and there is a level cost across theboard. As in - dealer A sells them at €50 per box as does dealers B, C, D.

I used a spray adhesive that the ould fella had for sticking carpet to floors in cars. Great tack and doesn't leave a hard lump under the foam.

I masked off the rest of the riser and sprayed it with the adhesive. I also sprayed the foam piece and stuck the two together. The masking tape does 2 things. It protects the rest of the riser but the straight edge also gives me my line for making sure the foam is placed squarely and evenly on the riser.

PS- you probably already know, but the foam piece should be included with the riser.

Have I been swindled:confused: ??
    I got no Foam with my Riser, Karsten the C U Next Tuesday never sent it!
    Whats the spray called?and what kind of foam does not melt with the adhesive, some will have a chemical reaction.

Although I am going to spray the entire rifle and riser Camo

Its more of a rubber/foam mix. The composition seems almost identical to a mouse mat for a computer so if stuck go buy one and butcher it to suit. Just make sure it is a bog standard one. You don't want one with a printed picture on one side.

The spray adhesive is Floorwise, F599. Should be got from most good car accessories shops or Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭zulu_dawn

i reckon there is good few of us Savage converts active in Ireland.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could get together an Irish Team Savage (model 12 F/tr and Palma) guys?

....... dream dream dream

"The tallest Oak springs from the smallest acorn"

Okay, poor analogy of a good quote, but you get the idea. I would be up for something like that. Even in an "unoffical" way. Idea exchanging, tips, help, advice.

Get the ball rolling, ;)

Are these any good?:D
    I'm not a target shooter but this looks interesting!
    113676.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 BradBrown

That's a really nice Savage!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

31b35351.jpg
    .308 John Greene built FTR.
    A 10 shot group today at 100M, not too bad considering it's a 5 shot mag, so I had to stop and re-load.

I got a 3" group on a 12"X12" inch plate with it last Tuesday @ 1000M but in fairness I had John spotting and 'coaching' ......... Plus I actually missed with my last shot :rolleyes:, I'll give the ... Wind changed as my excuse ha ha ..., pretty pleased though.

31b35351.jpg
    .308 John Greene built FTR.
    A 10 shot group today at 100M, not too bad considering it's a 5 shot mag, so I had to stop and re-load.

I got a 3" group on a 12"X12" inch plate with it last Tuesday @ 1000M but in fairness I had John spotting and 'coaching' ......... Plus I actually missed with my last shot :rolleyes:, I'll give the ... Wind changed as my excuse ha ha ..., pretty pleased though.

Was chatting wit John today...Heard all about it;)
    Show us the rifle..
    I need to see it.
    Specs aswell please

Think ya need a manicure....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

jasus you'd want to get some anti-wrinkle cream for them fingers:D, great shooting, now lets see the rifle, just out of interest is john as good at shooting as he is at making rifles

I've little hands, think the Fu(kers shrunk in the bath when I was younger:D:D
    I'll dig out a few pics of the rifle in a mo

yea John is a very very good shot. Extreemly knowledgable.
    He feker would beat you with a pea shooter.....

As requested

0c18d9f0.jpg

2d30f729.jpg
    bf687d6b.jpg
    a823fb76.jpg
    Lother walter 30" 5rifle barrel 1:12
    fully blue printed Remmy 700 action
    "honey dipper" bolt handle
    Accuracy International stage 2 chassis
    8-32x56 Nightforce NXS. MPR2 rect.
    one piece 20moa Nightforce mount
    one piece P rail
    Jewel trigger
    custom break ( not in picture )
    Harris bi pod

very nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

lovely rifle, i'm liking the fluted bolt

ormondprop wrote: »

You should look at a Grizzly action them so,
    http://www.kelbly.com/actions.html

I know a chap who has 1 or 2 for sale ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

ormondprop wrote: »

Ya that looks the bees kness. Nice rifle :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Finally got back to the range for the first time since before the wedding...

126914.jpg

126915.jpg

126916.jpg

Groups opened up after that though, need to build up the pistol muscles again!

Advertisement