Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos thread (Target Shooting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

intershoot wrote: »
    Shiny Good......Cast BAD!!! ;)

You are preaching to the choir there :D

dsc00550a.jpg

Strictly speaking, this is a video rather than a picture, but it's a good example of why you shouldn't skimp on the tripod after paying for the camera. And it's kindof funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭BountyHunter

Have just been dry firing at home since the new rifle arrived.
    4mm raiser arrived last Friday(thanks Ryan) so was able to sight in at 50m...
    15323266.jpg

Decided not to move sights on next target to see what happens...
    16886046.jpg

BountyHunter.

Up and to the left BH ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Nice one Bounty Hunter. Nothing wrong with how it shoots!

• Advertisement

Installed my new 10" sight extension tube from Eric Uptagrafft today. It looks like this.

Image0042.jpg?t=1300376755

Does make the rifle a little lengthy though, it comes to my shoulder, from the point of the hook!

Image0043.jpg?t=1300376755

Couple of things to note. Firstly, the sight picture. It's just so much better than it's ever been before. Absolutely textbook.

on the other hand (quite literally) despite the fact that it's pretty lightweight, it's extremely tough on the hand at the moment. I'm thinking of moving the handstop back towards the centre of gravity to take some of the weight better. Even 25 shots was quite tough to manage today, and I wasn't sticking around. The foresight requires a little bit of tweaking to get the size just right now and the ring thickness needs to go up a little, but it's looking good. Took a while to settle down, but I expect I'll be able to get a lot more confidence like this over the next while. Can't say anything too definite just yet, of course, but it's a tentative positive thumbs up from me. However, based on calls, it doesn't like the ammo I've been using quite as well as the standard barrel does, so may have to look into finding a good and useful batch for myself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭FLOYDSTER

Looks the part Dave!, did you use a bigger highend foresight or just cut the bottom out of a bucket??:D

FLOYDSTER wrote: »
    Looks the part Dave!, did you use a bigger highend foresight or just cut the bottom out of a bucket??:D

I went up to a 4.9mm as a start. It needs to come down about 0.2mm though I think, seeing a bit of swim in the picture. Ring thickness needs to go up too.

Now, considering I'm not known for my skills with an air rifle, an hour spent ironing out issues tonight resulted in this as a final three shot group.

Image0047.jpg?t=1301354233

May actually have a crack at the nationals now and see how I get on. I'll certainly be at the 3P ones with a bit of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Way too much shiny rifle around here!!!

Here's my evil BLACK accuracy rifle:

DSC00310.jpg

DSC00308.jpg

And this is what it did with a fixed 20X scope and R1M1 South African milsurp. 7.62x51mm at 300 meters with a 12 - 15 MPH right to left wind.

DSC00320.jpg

DSC00321.jpg

Sub 1", the squares are an inch.

Bunny and Norway viking were knocking around that day, were you there Ezridax? did you make it that weekend?
    Fish

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Bunny and Norway viking were knocking around that day, were you there Ezridax? did you make it that weekend?
    Fish

Was there alright ,but i seem to spend most of my time at the range talking. Last time i went i even forgot the guns. Came back home and they were still in the safes. :confused:

Need to get youraelf some HPS and get back over to rezero. Would like to see what she'd do with consistant ammo running through her.

Will definitely make time to say hello then.:cool:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I said it before, but that's a hell of a rifle fs. If you're around tomorrow I'll have a gawk at it. Never seen the AI in person.

Hope to make it over tomorrow morn... mothers day allowing... well her indoors is not my mum and the kids are old enough to look after her them selves now !!!

E I wouldn't mind trying some HPS alright might get a box off Jim if he has some in the morn. Yep I know the feeling, I once arrived without the bolts for my rifles and the barrel for my 9mm :rolleyes: still spent a hour and half talking sh1t though...

IWM not a problem.

Fish

Met It wasn't me today at the range and had to mop up a little pool of drool of the bench after he fondled my AI ;):D Nice to get another opinion on the rifle.

Thanks to Irl Connor too for helping me further along the way to spending money on another rifle and to Sam from Intershoot who hopefully is going to sort me out with a match 54.

Good day had all round.

Ezridax - did try those HPS in 155gr after and cloverleafing at 200, so happy enough.

Fish

Couldn't make it today. Even tried to go for a shot this evening and was told mother's day goes till midnight so i'm now officially "off-duty".

Glad to hear the HPS is working for you.

Don't pay any attention to those 3P lads. They'll lure you in with shiney rifles, and fancy jackets. Then you'll get hooked and need to buy more gear, and pretty soon your new AI will be forgotten. :eek::D

Stick with the FTR shooting.:)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Know what you mean, lots of shiny rifles down that end of the range today.

Maurice-Shades1A.jpg

but its more benchrest I'm looking at. Looking to test myself a little more. have never tried competitive shooting before and .22lr ammo is a whole lot cheaper than .308.

the plan for the AI is to spend this year exploring it and my abilities and the try FTR next season.

.............. .22lr ammo is a whole lot cheaper than .308.

Its cheaper alright, but compared to other "standard" .22 ammo the target stuff is dear. Plus you'd really want to be buying batch tested ammo innminimum of 5,000. That way you have repeatable, consistant ammo.
    the plan for the AI is to spend this year exploring it and my abilities and the try FTR next season.

Try not to spread yourself too thin. I tries doing clays, pistol, FTR and BR. Ended up giving up the BR, almost stopped the clays (still do the occassional shoot), pistol shooting is down. The FTR is swallowing up all my shooting time. Plus i've "re-discovered" my hunting and spend alot of my time out hunting/vermin control.

No regrets though. ;):D

Ezridax wrote: »

Try not to spread yourself too thin. I tries doing clays, pistol, FTR and BR. Ended up giving up the BR, almost stopped the clays (still do the occassional shoot), pistol shooting is down. The FTR is swallowing up all my shooting time. Plus i've "re-discovered" my hunting and spend alot of my time out hunting/vermin control.

No regrets though. ;):D

Know what you mean 3 jobs + college + an underage rugby team = 115 hours per week!!!!

Add to that 3 kids and herself ... I know what you mean by spreading yourself to thin... I've now cut back for health reasons and hence am shooting more as perscribed by the doc ;):D... and it suits me just grand.

Some days, you eat the bear :)

GEDC0039b.jpg

(click for the full-size image)

• Advertisement

Didn't come together for him on the day for the Nationals, but it looks like Paul's training has paid off since:

158115.jpg

10 shots, all taken in under a minute each (including loading), nothing less than an inner ten. Fantastic economy of motion in the shot routine as well.
    If I had a jacket that worked, I'd be desperately jealous instead of just envious :D

Women's finals in preparation today (about half an hour ago) at the Island Games:

165292.jpg

And I have a new candidate for most annoying shot of all time...

20110712_009b.jpg

(on the upside, I did learn a new swear word or two from my coach :D )

Its a common problem!.....Last shot-itis!!:D, nice shooting though!

That's okay FLOYDSTER, I got a slightly better run at it last thursday...

20110714_008b.jpg

Training, yes, but inside the time, and a 569 the next day.
    Kinda makes today's 554 not feel quite so awful (especially as I know why today fell over and I can fix it).

/dances

Nice Sparks!, it'll be easier on the nerves now the next time!

Had a nice 15 shot group yesterday at 50m, and if I'd have put on another 3 or 4 clicks to the right who knows what the 60 shot would have scored!!, again I had last shot-itis!!:D

2011-07-16125638.jpg

2011-07-16133506.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

168127.jpg

best year for us was in 08. winning county shoot, leinster shoot and all-ireland shoot. and topped off with the phipps cup win at the dunderry shoot:)
    BAYLIN GUN CLUB westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭clivej

bayliner wrote: »
    168127.jpg

best year for us was in 08. winning county shoot, leinster shoot and all-ireland shoot. and topped off with the phipps cup win at the dunderry shoot:)
    BAYLIN GUN CLUB westmeath

No problem using a semi auto in the compititions was there??????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

First time shooting today in Hilltop, shot a 236 doing 50m benchrest. Pat even let use one of his heavy varmint Anschutz rifles out of the shop..which I actually did worse with:o. Not bad for my first time shooting I hope:P

2011-07-26191106.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

clivej wrote: »
    No problem using a semi auto in the compititions was there??????

Semis are no more dangerous in the wrong hands than an over & under in the wrong hands ;)

Only once did I encounter ignorance over a semi at a clay shoot and the lad in question should have known better ;)

Had 2 x very close calls at clay shoots and on both occasions it was twats with over & unders !

Advertisement