Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i've already spoken to revenue twice about this, the scenario you described is not what is happening.

i'm not collecting hundreds of bottles from any 3rd parties like you claim, and there is no 3rd parties involved. I am not claiming back a company's money either. you say "thousands" but i'd like to see a single thousand. If anything, what you're saying seems like a gross exaggeration.

Also deposit returns from this scheme are exempt from what you're trying to argue and classed as "non-liable". i had a citizens information and govt link open the other day about taxes and taxable income, would've came in handy here to reply with if i didn't delete my web history.

As for the last part of what you wrote, even the ceo of the return scheme clearly mentions it himself that anyone is free to pick up any cans/bottles they find thrown away and then redeem the deposits for them which is good for the environment. Infact he even suggests it. Hence dumpster diving for bottles is allowed, and also so is picking up any that are "discarded". Does not matter who discarded them. Aslong as there's no trespassing involved and the person has been given permission.

Also there is no "new wealth" being created from any of this, as all bottles returned had a deposit paid on them initially. This was already discussed in much greater detail like a few weeks back. To Cut to the chase, a person throwing away a recyclables and then someone else "finding it" and returning it to an rvm machine is not taxable and is infact encouraged to stop litter being in places where its not supposed to be. Revenue have no issue with a person getting a deposit back from an rvm on a container they found that someone else threw away. ReTurn was brought in by irish law, they've already thought of all this.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Very true, what they should do is sell non-return bottles and cans to people flying out of the country, or else just not charge them a deposit and put a spacial mark over the barcode so a deposit cannot be reclaimed on stock that was sold to them without a deposit.

Seems like a fair fix to this problem. or perhaps showing them the plane tickets to show that they are leaving the country = free exempt pass from paying the deposit? something like this can be implemented if they really wanted to. its not hard.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

sure okay, but before i do i would like to know some things.

one of the things, in your opinion what is wrong with the current system? and how does myself returning cans and bottles prevent a better system from coming in place? is'nt what i'm doing a good thing? the way i see it, if there is less people returning bottles and cans, they might increase the deposit they place on items, meaning people will have to pay even more than they already are, for the products they want.

Despite it being in my own personal best interests for them to increase the deposit, i don't want to see other people being stuck paying even more than they already have to. i am in favor of lower deposits or removing deposits entirely. Alot of unfair things have arisen in this scheme, like people who rely on home deliveries for example, and also people who don't have the option of bringing their recycleables back to an rvm.

This stealth tax, or green tax, deposit tax or whatever people wanna call it, is grossly unfair. i'm interested in learning how we can get a better system in place if its even possible. i'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭SteM

Could you do us a favour and shorten your rant sig please? Your latest one takes up 3/4 of the screen of the mobile site and it's a pita having to keep scrolling past it.

Yeah no problem, consider it done! :) my apologies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No not just you but I think it's more of an act. Ciara will say one thing, he'll of course be on the other side of the argument. Deliberately provocactive to encourage people to text them (at 30c a text I believe).

But regardless, NT in general I find myself having to switch off more and more.. ultra "progressive" with constant "victims" and more and more tabloid every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭nachouser

I think the scheme is daft, but if I had access to empty containers in work I'd be walking out the door at lunchtime and on the way home with 4 full black bags each time. Every day:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭ForestFire

When you say 350k I presume you mean before tax, and after been rounded down to the near 50k as per standard Gov run agencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

So according to the CEO of re-turn 15.8m items have been returned to date. That's just over 10m more than the 5.6m reported at 12 March, or average 670k per day.

While we have no good data on the number sold, I believe it is 4m plus a day with deposit.

So daily collection rate is minimum 17%.

He did also say up to 1m items a day are being returned, I presume this is a recent day, so potentially that bring the return rate could be 25%.

17-25% is certainly better than earlier in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

Where are these located out of interest? I assume in one of the shops so voucher can be exchanged

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What about people buying water or a drink for a flight airside, they either take an empty through security and full up air side or pay the levy they'll never get back as they take the drink on board. Ripoff

• Registered Users Posts: 81,181 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes I can't see why there's not an exemption, the duty free stores and I think the other shops airside all have exemption on the plastic bag levy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,266 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You can buy a half litre carton of water for €2 airside.

There is no deposit charged.

Best bet though is bring your own bottle empty through security and fill it at one of the hydration stations for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

thats what i do , flew half way round the world last year. every airport had bottle filling points

500mls for €2 isn't cheap compared to Boots etc so you sort of are paying the levy. How many tourists or locals will remember to bring an empty bottle through security....

Airside should be exempt, end of.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are bottle refill/water fountain locations all over for people to fill an empty they brought through if they want.

Shannon/Knock etc don't have RVMs at all if the map is accurate - which I already know it isn't.

Of course they can but who would remember to bring an empty on to of everything else when travelling ?

They're getting fucked over one last time before they leave the country.

• Advertisement

Huge amounts of people do, which is why the refill stations exist.

Ah c'mon, as a percentage of passengers those who do will be in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,266 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't know the price for a half litre in Boots because I always carry my sports bottle and fill up for free.

I notice a lot of regular travellers doing the same.

It would be good if there was an exemption but in the meantime to avoid paying the deposit the options I gave are the only ones available.

As a percentage of passengers who buy stuff to bring on the plane, it'll be quite high.

And its completely avoidable.

And there is no practical exception here to allow for not charging - many of the bottles bought are being bought by staff who are not leaving the airport. Domestic flights exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why don't they just ban these plastic bottles that sell sugary junk anyway that people shouldn't be drinking.

Why not introduce a fountain system in shops where people have to bring containers to fill up if they insist on drinking coca cola etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I was in Cork Airport at the weekend. No RVMs. A bottle of coke was €3.80 (!). I didn't get a receipt, but didn't spot any specific mention on the SEL about the deposit. It did have the return logo though...

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭vafankillar

i've gotten into the habit of putting in a small bit of tissue into the empty can after i drink it, really helps minimize the mess while storing/carrying around/depositing cans and doesn't interfer with the weight of it enough to make a problem with the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I just noticed that some beers have had the ALC % reduced while they were charging over labels to return cans of beer.

Which ones?

Beamish has definitely been reduced recently. A number of UK-centric products that were in the mid-high 3% range have been brought to 3.4% due to UK excise changes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Good god, would I anyone drink 3%.?

Well Karpackie changed their % for one.

Fosters did it years ago while charging the can to formula 1 looking can. Probably 25 years ago.

Advertisement