Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Here we go again another scheme and the government had to enhance a simple little procedure that was working perfect until shops had decided to end their trials and not show signs of opening full operation on these reverse vending machines.

Couldn't just leave it as any plastic bottle/can it has to get a barcode now and the likely hood the plastics we use will increase with the new term added the customer pays a deposit.

I'm buggered as i've been stowing away 8 months of bottles waiting for the standard scheme to have re started now they are worthless for the new rollout as no special barcode.

They couldn't just leave things the way they were and planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

So basically you have hoarded garbage like a nutter in the hopes of getting some free money out of it and your grand plan has now been crushed.

And no, you aren't getting a fee for recycling this 13 year old thread either.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

Are they going to have a different barcode/QR on each bottle or could you just print out your own stickers ?

Great pun in there Vic08 well done.

Eh no not really i tried to get back some of the money from the increase in everything across the line as of the start of the year and thought it was a nice thing to do and to get my kid to help and see the process and what you can get back if you do a little over a long time it actually pays off.

There was 2 schemes introduced close to me and it was worth doing at the time too as originally it was a 10c per bottle return but was clawed back in recent months with one stopping and the other reduced it's refund by half to 5c.

I was patiently waiting for a broader roll out of the system and hoping for the 10c to be reintroduced at a closer stage.

Instead of going with a simple proven system the govt have gone and added more to it and added what seems to be a new charge/deposit system for the new machines.

Thanks for your contribution though to the thread,i never noticed the original date and was actually surprised that this scheme was coming round back then but not surprised it never got a full go ahead,typical story.

i believe the manufacturers will all have to add a code for you to scan as it enters to refund you the extra charge.

• Advertisement

I was asking if each bottle will have a unique code ?

Hardly feasible to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Been traveling over and back to Germany a bit recently due to a partner having a work contract there so I visit with the kids. They have the deposit system there and they just use the standard barcode that is on the bottle. You get either 8c 15c or 25c depending on the bottle or can type as you put it in the machine. After you put all your bottles in you get a receipt which you take to the checkout to get your money.

The machines are quite good. They can read the barcode from pretty much any direction so you do not have to take much care on how you put the bottle into the machine. Depending on the type you put in the machine then shuttles it in the right direction. Certain types of plastic bottle are crushed inside the machine for later recycling of the materials. Other types are funneled into storage because they are reused as is.

Almost never see discarded bottles or cans lying on the street. They are quickly hoovered up by kids or homeless people who bring them back for the money. Even sitting outside a music festival queuing to get in - discarded bottles were instantly cleared up by a few homeless types who had shown up with empty shopping trolleys.

Not sure if that answers your question or the reason behind the question. But the system seems to work from my perspective. But I am sure there are some issues not apparent to me as a tourist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Those systems need a level of organisation that would be beyond us here.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

How about installing more rubbish bins in public areas ? Yes, it costs money to maintain and empty them routinely, but isnt it tax money well spent. Or get people who have to do community service to.empty and clean them.

Similar to stop fly tipping, make local recycle & dump facilities free to use.

These initatives should be part of the budget as they impact everyones local environment and the country should be proud to be clean.

Ever come back from.holidays and your memory of the place is rubbish discarded every where ? You're in no hurry to go back there, right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd agree entirely with this scheme if the 15 cents or whatever came out of the sugar or alcohol levies. I.e no additional price. Take it out of the existing tax costs of these items.

That's a fairer system. Helps with environmental and litter costs.

• Advertisement

^ In Germany it is not exactly an "extra cost" though because the consumer is getting it back in their pocket later. It is added on at the point of sale but you get it back. So if your coke is costing 1 euro - you pay 1 euro 25 - and then you get the 25 cent back when you return the bottle. It's a deposit not a cost therefore.

It's actually quite a nice feeling to bring back a load of bottles to the machine before I leave Germany to return to Ireland and I get a fiver in my pocket to walk out with.

OP, please don’t post in threads that are over a decade old, just start a new one.

If you have a better title for this thread just let me know I’ll update, otherwise as you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

There's a special symbol on the bottle and you can only recycle those bottles. So if I got a bottle of coke from Ireland I don't think it would work here in germany.

I know some beer bottles have it here and some don't. The ones that don't are ones made abroad.

I do order a case of beer and two cases of coke zero every few months. And when I get the new delivery, the old one is taken away and I get a refund on the bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The upcoming scheme is pretty dumb IMO. It's a great example of a good idea ruined by poor execution

If you look at the list of acceptable materials, it's basically water and soft drinks bottles and cans

No dairy products allowed, or other plastics

So they're expecting consumers to keep a very small subset of their waste and bring it back for a tiny return

And if you lose the lid or damage the bottle by accident it's worthless

Yeah I don't see this scheme getting a lot of uptake

If they'd expanded it to all plastic, metal and glass containers then it would be much more popular IMO

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

You don’t need a lid and I’d be curious what “damaged” means. Like flattened or crushed is no good? Doesn’t really make any sense to me.

The reason I ask is that you could in theory print out the 10c barcodes and stick them on any bottle.

Poster above has been collecting bottles that wont be eligible because they done have a "special" sticker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Okay I was wrong about the lids, fair point 👍

Here's the scheme webpage with some details

It just says undamaged, so I presume that also includes uncrushed

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That says it's "convenient for everyone". Well, that's a lie. I used to use a green bin outside my house, now I have to pay 25 cent extra for everything and bring it to a recycling centre. I can't even crush them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I have seen this in Germany too with the 'homeless' early in the mornings public bins are literally poured on the street as they dig for discarded bottles that they can return. Same is going to happen here, good money to be made in tourist areas where they cannot be bothered to return their own bottles.

Someone then has to be employed to undertake the additional street cleaning, but in the interim it looks awful to see people like seagulls turning over the bins and until they are cleaned, its an eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just another green tax.100% of my plastic bottles goes into my green bin. already paying to get rid of it.

it's all the film that no-one knows what to do with.

there's a wall outside our supervalu full of plastic bottles where schoolkids sit and eat lunch. there's a bin at the supermarket entrance !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭thebiglad

That'll be a moneymaker for someone - just wait for the turf war...

"Additional" street cleaning is relative I guess given there is pretty much no bottles (plastic or glass) or cans on the streets anywhere. I was just walking through clontarf this weekend as it happens in Dublin and I absolutely can not say the same. There was Fanta cans and Coke bottles all over the place.

I have never seen a single bin poured all over the place by people looking for bottles. In fact most bins are split into Paper Plastic and other. So they generally do not have to dig at all. The homeless I have seen just walk up - peer in - and move on. But I am only a (recently very regular) visitor. So I messaged a guy I know living there 15 year and he says exactly the same. But Germany is massive. The areas I and he are in (Hessen and Bavaria) may be different to others (Berlin and the east etc) in how on top of this they are.

They have actually taken in a lot of places to attaching Bottle Holders to things like Pedestrian lights. So as you are crossing a road you just slot your bottle into an empty slot for someone else to pick up and return to the deposit machines. So that is quite a nice idea. I put a bottle in one - walked into TK Maxx - came out 20 minutes later and it was already gone.

It's not a tax. Its a deposit. You get the money back. All of it. A tax implies your money is being taken off you and goes elsewhere. The money we pay for plastic bags for example could be viewed as a "green tax".

Well, you're now being punished for doing the right thing for years. As usual, the green option is all stick and no carrot. Remember to keep your cans uncrushed and after you deposit you recycling, go into the shop and queue up to get your money back.

18 330ml cans will get you €2.70 back. You'll need to store this in in your house or apartment somewhere too. Another recycling bin. God help us

I've been in NRW now for two years and I've never seen them empty a bin. I just see them peer in and pull stuff out.

I've noticed in parks here during the summer people don't even put bottles into the bin. they just line them up next to the bin so it's easier for homeless people to get them.

You don't need another recycling bin. Just put them back into the box. Here you can just hand over the full box.

I'm wondering in Ireland if there will the option to return as part of a delivery. I have beer and coke zero delivered here in Germany. Whenever I get a delivery they take away the old ones too.

Ok, you need a recycling "box". Along with your green bin, brown bin, normal bin and glass bin. Basically, you need to separate the plastic bottles and cans in order to get the money back. At a time of high inflation

You're complaining that you get money back at a time of high inflation?

You pay an extra 25 cent and you get that back. 330ml cans are up 15cent, 500ml bottles are up 25cent. You lose it if you use your green bin

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Will be a tricky one for people who get deliveries from the supermarkets and otherwise don't go into the store.

I assume there is a size exemption so smaller outlets like fuel stations, corner shops, off licences aren't going to participate.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Everywhere that sells bottles has to take them. They probably manually scan them rather than have an automated machine

Advertisement