Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

First time using the machine today, 12 or so bottles went in, one was initially rejected but accepted the second time. A positive experience for what it was though all of said bottles would have been recycled at home up to now without all this kerfuffle. Machine was in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lgt

Went to a restaurant yesterday and we got charged the deposit return for the cans that they served us as drink. None of the cans had the logo so even if we took the cans with us, we will not have get the deposit back. Bit of a rip off, the restaurant should not charged the deposit if the cans cannot been returned

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's definitely a rip off if they won't refund at the RVM.

If you still had them you could check the barcode.

It's possible they could refund even if there is no logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

But look at what you're suggesting - intended as genuine and helpful I know - but this is just ridiculous from start to finish..

• Bring back your cans and bottles and fiddle with the machines until they take them (if they do)
    • Go squinting at barcodes and checking websites to do the work of logging new SKUs for them
    • Stand around at Customer Service desks arguing about 15c or a few Euro at most which the store won't care about (not their scheme and they've already been paid) and the poor guy/girl listening to it certainly won't care

All so we can faff about with an idiotic time-wasting and inconvenient scheme/stealth tax because the EU have decided we must. Meanwhile developing countries and bigger player globally do what they want.

It's a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭elperello

My advice to the other poster is genuine and helpful as you say.

They seemed to think that the logo is currently essential.

I didn't make the rules, I'm just trying to make the best of the system as it is.

I have acknowledged several shortcomings in the system in previous posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

no offense but in my opinion it was'nt helpful. i mean it was decent and genuine don't get me wrong, but it does'nt really help his situation and feels like more of an opinion or an afterthought rather than advice. it's good that you mentioned checking the barcode as a suggestion which can be somewhat helpful next time. if it happened me i would pay everything but the 15cent deposit. if i did'nt have the exact amount -15c, then i'd argue the 15 cent or atleast question it, or bring the can home and the receipt and report it to return (i doubt this last part would actually help though, seems more like a placebo blanket as return still has yet of today 3 weeks now not gotton back to me lol).

it's also possible the can's he speaks of, have no barcode. Some restaurants use multi-pack cans.

There was also another lad here a few days ago posted about being cheated out of a deposit on non-returnable cans or bottles from a multipack, but because he didnt have a receipt, or the origenal packacging or something, he could'nt do anything about it iirc.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,527 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I inserted a crushed plastic bottle, the label intact. Machine accepted, but did not register it, no payment issued

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

Over the weekend I looked at the online shopping sites of the leading Irish stores - with a view to estimating the % of items being sold now with the deposit.

I had previously stated that the percentage of items being sold now with deposit is above 80%, and the research affirms that.

As you read the below, no doubt you might wonder how I still think that when say Aldi is under 50% - but bear in mind I am looking at items available to order online, not volume going through the till.

So take Coca Cola, which is the leading soft drink. 100% of Core original and Coke Zero in Dunnes, Tesco and Supervalue were being charged deposit (cans, bottles, multipacks, larger bottles). Same goes for Fanta, Sprite and 7up, with Pepsi 100% in Dunnes and Tesco. On the other hand, items where old stock persists were what you would expect were slower moving items - Lucozade Zero pink, some of Aldis own brand drinks, etc.

Its also worth bearing in mind that the 4 shops I feature account for 79% of grocery shopping in Ireland according to Kantar (Feb 2024).

Here are my findings. Apologies for the image format, easier to paste as that than a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Had my first semi successful experience of this scheme yesterday. Hauled 24 cans and 10 plastic bottles the 1.5km to Tesco. The machine was working (it hadn't been on 2 previous visits and I had to walk home with them again). All but 1 can was accepted - no idea why as it was identical to the rest and undamaged. 2 of the bottles were accepted but the 8 x 1.5L volvic bottles weren't so had to dump them as I'm sick of walking over and back to Tesco in the hope of redeeming. That's €2 gone in the bin.

I probably should have just done the same as my 80+ year old father and chuck the lot in the bin. In a world of online delivery, this scheme is ill conceived. I haven't been in any shop since 2019 apart from 3 attempts to try and recycle rubbish. It was a lot easier to just pop them in the green bin. Now my bin charges are going up too. Lose - Lose

i've been to lidl several times in the past few weeks and can confirm the only barcodes brandishing return logo's i ever see, are monster energy drinks, some of the "usual suspects" you've mentioned (coke, fanta etc) and if i'm not mistaking, sometimes their bottled water. Everything else there appears to have no return logo.

Also there's a flaw in depending on online inventory, as some stores may not even have what they show online, or may have it different. including items with/without a deposit vice versa. Some stores may list something online as having to pay a deposit, but when you actually get there its possible you may find an item that does'nt have a deposit (eg old stock). The online thing i think is just to give an example of what "could be" and can't be a gaurentee. Its a point of refference for online shoppers to and an idea of what to expect.

All the large flavored ballygowens i've come across in aldi still have no return logo (€1.55 or 1.50 iirc) and no deposit.

ALdi's own brand items i can't seem to find any return logo's on at all, but its possible i did'nt look hard enough.

Tesco did the reverse of this, they advertised non-logo sparkling water stock a few weeks back for 30 cent (the dump price) some places had it, sadly other places and all my nearest tescos only had the 95 cent price including the deposit.

A Handful of people were essentially getting sparkling water for 5 cent because of it! (using 25cent deposit return barcodes on the 30 cent bottles = 5 cent after returning the bottle to an rvm)

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭purplefields

For me, I am boycotting this scheme. I have not purchased any qualifying products since it was launched. I do not believe that the scheme was launched so that people would reduce their use - I can't see the government doing something like that - so that's why I'm classifying this as a boycott and not a 'success' of the system.

For these reasons I am opting out:

• Increase in the price of the products. Not everyone is going to get 100% of their deposits back. This represents the first cost increase. The machines' maintenance, capital costs etc, will eventually be passed onto the consumer. This the second cost increase. The project running costs will also be passed onto the consumer, ie. re-turn expenses. I bet their directors are on €100k+/year. The third cost increase. Cost for drinks manufacturers to engage with the scheme - fourth cost increase. Time taken to return the items - another indirect cost.
    • People's refuse disposal cost will also now increase as refuse collectors are not getting the valuable aluminium.
    • I always recycled everything before. I view this scheme as a kind of 'punishment'. I recycled because I thought that was the responsible thing to do for the environment, not because of money reasons. I even have a reusable coffee cup.
    • I really can't be bothered with all that crap. Bringing dirty containers back to the shop, only some of them working and then all the BS with vouchers etc. Life is really too short.
    • Small shops will suffer. You get your voucher at the larger stores, so you'll probably spend them there. Guess what, small shops are better for the environment!

The eager participators in this thread really are doing us all a disservice. Only when we have mass boycott of the system will the government abandon it and go back the previous, working, easy to use system.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"All so we can faff about with an idiotic time-wasting and inconvenient scheme/stealth tax because the EU Ossian Smyth and the Greens have decided we must."

I Didn't know i was doing you all a "disservice". Should i stop partaking in the use of RVM's for recycling? Let me know.

if so, i'll stop when i reach €1000 which i'm almost quite close to doing, then retire from this re-turn game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Tow

Have you enquired with the Revenue Commissioners as to the appropriate tax treatment for Re-turn vouchers?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

You are very similar to me, I am doing exactly as you are doing; via a number of substitution tactics I am not buying DRS containers. Like you I say no question it is better for sustainability to avoid DRS than participate in it.

However, you and I, we are in the minority.

I would define groups as follows:

• Enthusiasts - True believers, have maybe seen it work elsewhere, are fully compliant and very happily so
    • Participants - Compliant so they get their deposit back, but honestly would prefer to recycle at home if they could
    • Apathetic - Views the deposit as a new sales tax; not worried about getting it back, has not changed behaviour from before
    • Avoiders - Have consciously changed behaviour to completely avoid purchasing in scope items altogether (boycott)

I think the Enthusiasts and Avoiders are probably small groups across the population (like less than 5% of the population each). Not many people are doing what you and I are doing, equally huge fans are hard to find.

I think re-turn probably believed that most people would become Participants, and thats how they would reach the high % collection. I think what has happened instead is that the Irish public is largely Apathetic.  Within the apathetic group there are some who tried to participate, had a bad experience and became apathetic, there are others that simply never engaged and don't plan to.

Whats interesting is that Avoiders do not actually impact the success or failure of the scheme - as re-turn are assessed on the collection ratio items that are not bought don't come in to it. I think the very low return ratio re-turn currently have is because the majority of people are Apathetic.

Where do people see themselves? Are there other groups?

Yes, as they are "deposits" they are entirely untaxable. I Was told they would have to be a capital gain from source that pays people money, gives a financial gain, or something one "earns" money from. There's nothing to tax here as deposits are only a person's money back and does'nt create any new wealth in of itself. Upon further questioning i was however told if i were to bring cans over a certain amount to a scrapyard and got a chunk of money all in one go from a scrap merchant, that would be taxable and needs to be declared.

tl;dr deposits being returned are not considered as a form "income".

(in your opinion) Which of those groups you listed do i fall under?

i think there are another handful of groups that arr'nt mentioned, but rather than groups i believe pointing out the traits amoung them would be more reasonable, and then if x person reaches a criteria of a certain number of those traits then they can be classed as coming from said group.

Some people take part in the scheme begrudgingly and see it as the lesser of two evils for their own circumstances, and there's also people partaking who arr'nt exactly happy with the scheme. There's even chancers, and people looking to make a bit of bob from the scheme. Some people only looking to see what they can get out of the scheme themself and have no regard or care if the scheme actually succeeds or not. Some even want it to fail. And then there's also 2 other types i care not to mention as i don't want to be suspended from the boards lol. Consumers and hoarders should be added somewhere to this. People who are pissed off that they wasted their time hoarding and didn't get to cash in day 1 like they had hoped. And there's still alot of people that don't exactly know about the scheme and just see the machines and bring bags of stuff with no logo on it, and litter the place. There's some political sides to this scheme too, and i don't mean the green people, i mean like activist types that make it their goal send a message to re-turn (some of these can be considered boycotters who do it for political reasons).

also adding to the list: scientists, experimenters/testers, high volume returners, and adventurer's (people who go explore new locations on foot just to use the machines and discover locations, although i can see this being enthusiastic to some degree)

Also this be my 1000 post! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Tesco Ennis this evening.

Wasn't using, but saw a couple with two bags full wanting to use any of the 3 machines

Machine 1: Red Light, not working

Machine 2: Out of Order page stuck on it

Machine 3: Red Light, not working

I'd say they were fairly mortified having to walk away with the bags back into the car

Pathetic excuse of a system

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭jj880

So took my son to Aldi on Saturday for a trial run. 4 plastic bottles accepted 1 rejected at Aldi.

Mildly annoyed with that but the deal breaker was having to go into the shop to get money or discount. Shop was very busy. First question he asked was why cant the money be added to my revolut? I answered "maybe they'll add that later". Some chance of that happening.

Nearly half way through the "teething" / "trial" period and it looks like most people just arent bothered and the head lads at Re-Turn dont seem to give a sh!te either. More interested in spoofing with stats in the media trying to put lipstick on a pig. It's blatantly obvious the majority will be even more apathetic to this under full usage. Maybe that will be hailed as a "success" by some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Woodcutting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I'd love to be an avoider but short of installing a beer tap and getting in kegs of Guinness, I can't do that. I do plan to get a sodastream for making soft drinks. I just need to find somewhere nearby to recharge the gas bottles. Otherwise I have given up entirely on the system.

The russian roulette element where by the machine might be working, or half the cans may not be read, is too much hassle for a return of 1 or 2 euros.

The downside of course is a slab of Guinness has now gone up by 3.60 for me. Come the next local election, representatives from any party are going to get an absolute earful from me. I am really hoping a Green candidate knocks on my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭poppers

how is machine supposed to add money your sons revolut account. is any money back service able add money to revolut

the BOI atm cannot do that.

The technology does exist. It would not be hard to implement.

Some people on this thread are incredulous at some things I and others have suggested that the scheme could do.

Aww, bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭jj880

The Australians have it sorted for their RVM scheme as already discussed on this thread.

Ive no idea what a BOI atm has to do with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭poppers

That good to know i honeslty didnt know that.

Have you any examples of any service that can rtn money to you revoult account.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Well as someone who has had no issues to date, I'm seeing an increasing amount of machines out of order 🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Was that today? From filling up / more use over the weekend I wonder? Some of them seem flaky.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Maybe this has been asked before, but I assume washing up liquid bottles etc are exempt?

In which case, wtf is the point in this scheme if tons of plastic bottles are exempt just because of their use-case?

• Advertisement

Well all you need to send someone money on revolut is their phone number.

I have gotten refunds to my revolut from Dominos, Tesco and Just Eat. Others too I am sure.

Ive no idea what a BOI atm has to do with this.

Having worked at BOI, it's no suprise they dont have some features that are the norm elsewhere. Some of their systems still run on steam.

Advertisement