Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

And it's 1.50 in the Boots right beside it (in terminal 1 anyway)

So this statement is an outright lie:

"At €2, our 500ml cartons remain the cheapest water available to purchase at the airport."

It's 50 cents cheaper for a 500ml plastic bottle right beside it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Even at 25c I don't see it very incentivising for a wino to try and collect 9 cans just to be able to afford a can of 4.5% cider. How long would it take to collect 9 discarded cans and bottles even in a city centre? Doubt it would be that easy and of course then dealing with the "unreadable" containers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭jj880

Exactly - the wino RVM pentathlon:

1. hope to find 9 undamaged cans
    2. hope to find a working RVM
    3. hope it doesnt reject any cans or malfunction
    4. hope the voucher scans at the till
    5. hope there's a manager to sort it out if it doesnt scan

1st prize. 1 can of cider.

or:

1. Rob it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

We're all being very pass remarkable to homeless people here I see. Stay classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

"Its more critical if the return rate is less than forecast, or if to counter a low return rate a higher deposit is selected in the future"

this is exactly what i was fearing, and mentioned a couple posts back the other day when someone told me to stop returning bottles. It's also my same knee-jerk reaction to people making it a point to use their green or black bins rather then bothering to reclaim the deposits. A Higher deposit being a bigger incentive to encourage coerce more people into partaking in the scheme and to playing ball with the RVMs. The way i see it, if they don't get the stat numbers they need for recycling, they could easily double down and punish the public more for not recycling enough by introducing a higher deposit.

Also a higher deposit is more in returns pocket if not returned. if returned they get the numbers they desire. is the best current move to just give them our recycleables? is refusing to give it to them only gonna punish us more in future? what is the right move to make? the way i see it at the moment is "giving our containers to the rvms (when they work) = less money in returns pocket. a can is around just under 2 cent in scrap value in returns pocket, and a plastic bottle is nearly worthless, but an unclaimed deposit for a can is 15 cent in their pocket, and an unclaimed deposit of a plastic bottle is 15-25cent in their pocket (depending on size)."

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement

they're literally passing the cost of "eco freindly/pro green packaging" onto the consumers again. They did this with ariel washing pods and a couple of other things that switched to cheaper paper packaging, they always up the price with new cheaper packaging. Absolute rip offs.

Why should the customer have to pay extra, for the companys pro green choices? Environmental friendly packaging should be cheaper not dearer. They're literally making you buy their packaging and pay for their virtue signaling. if the packaging is cheaper the customer should be paying less, not more.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭jj880

If you're referring to me its a valid case for how the scheme compares to other countries. Its been posted several times before on thread that you see homeless in Germany gathering up containers to reduce litter as a benefit of an RVM scheme. My pentathlon example was in jest to point out the improvements that need to be made here for it to be worth it in said scenario. Maybe it reads in bad taste but that wasnt my intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

In Germany you can get a litre of wine in Aldi for €1.70. So, returning 8 cans is an incentive. It could pay for the wine for that night. Cheapest wine here is €8 so, for the same return, you would need to find 53 undamaged cans.

I'm going to go back to the start of the thread and find the post that said "We copied the system exactly as it is in Germany".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Tried to return a bunch of coke 2l bottles to a supervalu, but the machine kept giving an error saving they should be empty.

They were empty, I tried a few of them and nothing.

returning cans is much easier in germany too, i don't mean with the machines (kinda goes without saying) but the people in germany are less likely to crush their cans and leave a mess or throw stuff out of car windows. It's entirely different and also their rvm's are vastly superior to ours. we can't expect to get the same results as them without using the same high quality machines as them. Some of their machines can take bag fulls of cans in seconds, simular to how some coin changer machines the coins and then takes a few seconds to count them.

• Advertisement

I know. I've used them. You can return your crate of beer with 24 bottles in one go. They don't work off barcodes, but the physical dimensions/weight. Arguably, one thing less to go wrong in the overall system. Any can or bottle bought anywhere can be used in any RVM.

Ive said it before, any time we try to do something in this country we feel the need to "future proof" it, read: over engineer it, and then wonder why it doesn't work as well as in other countries.

returning a create or massive bag of cans and bottles all in one go to a machine sounds like an absolute dream to me. i would really make great use of a feature like that, and i don't say that lightly.

it would be great if we could have those same kinds of machines. i wonder if there's any way to vote on what "green initiatives" return spend the unclaimed deposits on. if i had any choice i would vote for these bulk can/bottle machines they use in germany. one-by-one is so tedious, especially if you have alot

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bog master

Except in the RePack submission they do not mention specifically viewing the "perfect" German system.

And to top it off, my second RVM go, the first being reasonably ok. 7 cans of 12 rejected, one plastic bottle accepted, 2nd one inserted, Blank screen, no sound of crushing, DEAD ! Found staff member, messed with machine but ended up with, "sorry for that"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

German system is far from perfect. Reusable containers have to be returned to a shop that sells them - not the shop you bought them in, but you've got to hope that the random shop sells that specific item.

I have no experience of the system used in Germany, but in the early days of this thread it was touted as being the model to aspire to. But will willingly accept posters accounts of their experience and knowledge of that system, positive and negative.

We have or had, an opportunity to take info from many different systems and create from scratch a better system for consumers and recycling companies and sadly we seem to be unable to do so for whatever reason.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There isn't another system that cares about the impact on private domestic waste firms because they basically don't exist anywhere else. Its a weird neoliberal streak here that waste collection is privatised - blame FF's 1977 rates cut for that happening.

Nearly everywhere else that has such a system has local authority waste collection. And I'd be very, very happy for us to return to that - it is a natural monopoly and nobody benefits from 2/3/4 different bin trucks prowling around hoping to find a bin left out every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Haven't had the need to use these RVMs yet, I buy very little cans or bottles. In interests of seeing what it's all about, I stood watching the machines in Dunnes today. 3 people with a variety of bottles and cans were using 3 different machines. Person 1 had a 66% success rate and dumped the third bottle into an ordinary waste bin beside the machines. Persons 2 & 3 had varying success rates and ended up taking 3/4 cans and bottles each back to their cars.

Did my shopping and went back to watch the machines again (I've a sad but curious life). By this time 2 of the machines were no longer working and a queue of 7 people were standing waiting to use the machine as the man at the head of the queue was repeatedly putting the same bottle into the machine and getting it rejected repeatedly.

Currently I have 1 orange juice bottle almost empty & waiting to be returned. I won't be a particular hurry to bring it to claim my refund but guaranteed that if I don't get the refund, I won't be leaving the customer service area until I get my refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Grand, but wasn't it just €1 prior to the introduction of this DRS scheme?? Except it came in a plastic recyclable bottle.

No deposit charged alright …… but double the price.

Thank you oh Green Masters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The thing is we never had a local authority waste collection service - they couldn't be arsed. So we had to collect all our bags of waste and pack them in a trailer every now & then and bring them 20 miles to a depot.

You know what? We were very happy when the private domestic waste collection came to our area and glad to pay them.

I can't understand the wasters who think these things should be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,666 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If it is really about increasing the recycling rate, then surely manual bulk return depots should be opened up in various places in each county, so that EVERY item can be returned, with no rejects, and all deposits returned .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The DAA are green now ? 🙂

Anyway they'll be waiting to make any extra money from me.

For years now I've been filling my sports bottle for free.

Cheese sandwich,apple and KitKat from home in the bag too.

I like this machine , seems to just count items, rather than scan and reject half of them like our machines.

thank you for the lovely videos, i watched all 3! the second one would have to be my favorite among them <3

the sad part about it though is when reality hits and i realized after seeing the workers there doing all that, i realized irelands re-turn scheme won't have any of that as it costs money and they don't want to put their hand in their pocket, and just keep wanting everything to be publicly funded. i feel the scheme is as bad as it is already because of all the shortcuts they're taking and not having a proper go of it. All these other different countries are doing their deposit return schemes the right way. Why can't ireland look at what they're actually doing and make it work, instead of just seeing the idea, pretending we're doing the same, and expecting unresonable results in comparison when we dont even have the same technology being used in our deposit return scheme over here

If it was about recycling it would count them, accept them all for recycling, but only pay out the deposit for 60-70% of them.

Rather than spitting out half as rejects leaving the consumer to either bring them home again to put in their green bin, or bin them in the black bin at the shopping centre.

does anyone know what the story is with lids on plastic bottles? i was in a lidl earlier today and seen a sign on both machines saying "remove lids from plastic bottles before inserting" . i thought they wanted the lids too? is'nt that the whole point why alot of lids these days now have a plastic thingy attached keeping them intact to the bottle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭SteM

Companies making their own rules up. This system needs to be completely standardised across all shops before the public loose confidence in it.

Advertisement