Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think you're above advertising?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There's a lot of ads that are directly targeted at you these days online due to your surfing habits. That's if you don't block them of course. There's also the subtle stuff too, like you mention. The ones where you'll have a fake citation from some made up "person" claiming that a particular product did wonders for them. Frankly, I think that kind of crap should be banned, because it's outright lies.

But I think if a there is a general awareness of what ads are doing, you will have people who will tend to either reject them or just ignore them and their purchasing will be based on other things, most likely price, or it's something they've been using for years and they know it just works for them.

But, as I said, all of this is impossible to quantify to any degree no matter which side one comes down on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think they will just get around any bans tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Turns out it works. That €10 off €50 is advertised consistently. It blinds plenty of people plus they think they are shopping in a better chain store than the plebs. They tend to be paying a higher price for groceries they could get cheaper elsewhere and spend more to meet the €50 threshold to get another coupon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yep. It's a fantastic promotion marketed well and you'll certainly be paying more than the German two. However, the food produce has improved, there's some pretty high end stuff in Dunnes now along with the bits & condiments you won't get in Aldi or Lidl.

Advertisement