Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think you're above advertising?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sometimes advertising can be useful and actually save you money.

In the famous Booze Deals thread on this site before Minimum Unit Pricing we used to share ads for drinks of the alcoholic variety.

By reading the ads on the thread before going shopping I often got a bottle of wine at a decent discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

As you can see from my post I have re-looked at things, and I have clearly proven that I am not affected by advertising. It's quite simple... if I make a list of every single thing I pay for within the last 12 months, I can go through every item on that list and prove that I am not affected by advertising.

I how "what" I'm influenced by and "how" those things influence me, but advertising isn't one of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That's not the same thing. That's walking into a shop and buying something cos you're hungry and if I do that, it'll be something I know I like to eat, not something I seen on an advert. If I buy a coke (and I haven't had a can of coke in bloody ages) it's because I know I like it and it'll quench my thirst while tasting nice. But the next time I could just swig from a bottle of water I got from my tap.

Too many people here making the mistake of thinking that just because you buy a product, you've been influenced by an ad.

It doesn't work that way for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Oh I'm not joking. When I'm bored and hungry that's exactly how it works. Within reason but pretty much.

You're forgetting one thing! It doesn't make a difference how good they are able to psychologically profile me, that only proves how pointless it actually is. It still doesn't prove that my spending is influenced by their efforts. I don't need to know what goes on behind closed doors to know that I'm impervious to advertising. Maybe others who are seen as fitting my stereotype are worth the effort, but not me.

You're very quick to make such a claim, but aside from your dismissive attitude towards me, you're unable to back it up with examples. I have provided examples of my spending that prove that I'm not affected... such as what phone I have, my phone provider, petrol, car, car maintenance, clothes, food, electricity bills, hobbies. I'm probably only affected by advertising literally a few times a year... certainly not a "dozens of times" per week.

By the way, it is a cheap shot of you to imply that the reason I've concluded I'm above advertising is solely down to David Bowie and one movie I happened to mention. I could give hundreds of examples, but that would make the thread too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭raxy

You're not affected by irrelevant advertising but that doesn't mean you're not affected by any. In your first post you talk about wanting something you seen in a movie. Product placing its a fairly common way of advertising.

You said if you see a famous person wear a jacket (*I think it was jacket)? Why fo you think famous people are gifted so much free stuff? More advertising.

Just because you don't buy what is advertised doesn't mean an add diesn't affect you, maybe you're just not the target market.

That's really only the sort of experience I have when I'm on holidays. But just because you'd take up the offer, and help the company in doing so, doesn't automatically mean that you're now below advertising. That would be no someone trying to prove some pointless point and inconveniencing themselves.

Just because you're impulsive and unorganised doesn't mean everyone else is!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,131 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's not about impulse.

If you are going to a shop to buy items like a sandwich, a drink, and a treat then advertising will influence what sandwich, drink and treat you buy.

I forget my exact wording, but I said that I might be slightly influenced person that I'm acquainted with who I think is cool... not a celeb. That's never happened. I specifically mentioned that any movies or TV shows that I like are old. So if that influences me to buy a pre-owned vintage watch, then that doesn't make money for that watch company.

It's would practically be an impossibility that you would be able to obtain the exact same sweater that you'd seen on an actor in a movie... even if it was recent. It's statistically a lot more likely to see someone on the street wearing something you like than an actor on TV.

Please do not say 'seen' in place of 'saw'. It only proves how easily influenced you are. When did you change from the right word, to the wrong one?

Post edited by Brid Hegarty on

• Advertisement

Not necessarily.

I bought a sandwich today at lunchtime. It was turkey, tomato and sweetcorn. What advertising, exactly, played a part in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,887 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Stuff doesn't have to be unobtainable film star luxuries. I posted before about the 500% increase in sales of a TopShop dress, after Kate Middleton wore it in public. And your local Aldi and Lidl does not have stacks of those offer magazines, just because they like wasting paper.

(2003 extract from Guardian article) Britain first witnessed the "Delia effect" in the 70s when Delia Smith's praise for a type of lemon zester resulted in a shortage of the implements. In recent years her influence has been so strong the BBC has had to send lists to the food industry warning which products will appear in Smith's shows. The Collins English Dictionary even lists the phenomenon under "Delia power".

Cranberries

Sales rose by 200% after Smith included them in a duck recipe in 1995, awakening the nation to the fact that cranberries were not just for Christmas.

Prunes

Just one mention by Smith of the word "prune" on her television series How to Cook (she was making "the perfect sticky prune and date cake") was enough to send shoppers running to the stores to stock up on a product abandoned by the post-war generation.

Omelette pans

Orders for the Lune Metal pan made by a tiny Lancashire firm leaped from 200 a year to 90,000 in four months after Smith described it as a "little gem".

Eggs

Shops were selling an extra 1.3 million eggs a day thanks to Smith's How to Cook, in which she showed viewers how to beat, scramble, poach and boil them.

Sea salt

Essex-based Maldon Crystal Salt Flakes was thrown into disarray when Delia included its seasoning in her list of "must haves". The company had a workforce of just 10 people, manufacturing 400 tons of the hand-panned salt every year.

Stock cubes

Smith's insistence on using Marigold Swiss bouillon in her recipes on How to Cook 2 sparked a run on the vegetable stock cubes and supermarket chains rushed to buy the obscure brand.

Sunblush tomatoes

Middle England dropped sundried tomatoes as soon as Smith recommended Normandy sunblush tomatoes.

Carrs bread flour

The 170-year-old company experienced a remarkable 500% rise in sales of the mix recommended in Smith's How to Cook: Book Three and featured on the BBC2 series.

Skewers

Sales of the kitchen implement soared 35% after Smith told viewers they were essential for checking whether a cake is baked.

Books

Last but not least, the Delia effect helped her books sell in their millions and Smith is rarely out of the bestseller lists. The Complete Cookery Course is one of the best selling books of all time and her latest, Delia's Vegetarian Collection, was in the top five food and drink book list all last year despite having no TV show to promote it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Advertising works on some people but for many like myself and the OP we are immune to it really.

Never mind advertising, millions of people fall for scams. Like advertising, they know the buttons to press.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭89897

Jesus, live a little and get out of your own bubble. Let yourself be influenced a bit and try the new product or go on the trip Tui are selling. It can be a lot of fun and learn some new things.

You might think it's impulsive, i think it's closed minded. There's way too much going on in the world you're closing yourself off to if you think you know all and sundry and are never wrong.

Interesting and all as all that may be, what exactly is it in there that you’re claiming I’m trying to refute?

When did you start thinking that Attain is the same as Obtain?

People who might think they are doing good by ditching fast fashion, are still being influenced by whatever trend the media throws at them. Love Island promoted pre loved fashion, and the viewers lapped it up.

How has Love Island’s partnership with eBay impacted the pre-loved clothing market?

Less than a month after the series launched, e-commerce platform eBay reported a 700 per cent increase in searches for ‘pre-loved fashion’. Similarly on Google, searches for ‘ebay preloved clothes’ rose by 756 per cent compared to the previous month, while searches for ‘pre-loved’ saw a 660 per cent spike.

In response, sellers also flooded the platform. Live eBay listings increased by 1,026 per cent within three months of the Love Island partnership being announced, according to e-commerce analysts at Optiseller. Since then, the number of listings has been consistently higher than the beginning of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

OP's thread title is revealing, its not "Are you above advertising?" or "Are you immune to advertising?" its "Do you think you're above advertising?" which is a very different situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Cut him some slack. He was probably hanging outside a helicopter trying to save people from 20 years ago.

You are aware however, are you not, that for every person that "may" be influenced by the above there's many more that aren't?

Your laundry list, there, isn't the smoking gun you think it is.

As to your evidence of a "500% increase" in TopShop dresses because of Kate Middleton, I would suggest that the people being influenced by such things are in the definite minority and are probably, well, a little on the stupider side. And they're, more than likely, influenced quite easily in many other facets of their lives.

The advertising industry will have a strategy for you as well. They will probably appeal to your sense of superiority. The scam merchants certainly know that clever people who get fooled, are too proud to admit it on occasions, and continue to throw good money after bad. Particularly evident in romance scams.

What, exactly, do you think the advertising industry have in mind for me?

I don't watch ads. In fact I don't see ads anywhere. I actively go out of my way to not view them. In fact, I genuinely couldn't tell you what the last advert I saw on the TV was, or anywhere for that matter because I just tune them out.

I don't even see ads on here, cos adblocker nukes them.

You and, perhaps, the advertising industry may think there's a "strategy" for people like me. But that strategy fails because I don't pay any attention.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I was at a bar last night to watch one of the NHL playoff games. I was a bit shell shocked by the shear bombardment of ads on network television. I haven't had a cable TV plan for over 25 years. Man, it's crazy. Speaking of, I guess I should post this in "Ways of living you never want to go back to" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Archeron

Washing machines live longer with calgon.

We dont know why, or how, or if its even true, but they still appear religiously on the shopping list.

The Boards bosses won't like you. The ads fill up big chunks of the screen with me, but If someone asked I would not be able to say what they are for. No doubt they are getting me with subliminal messages.

If you were doing a big ticket purchase, would you turn to any outside source for information?

Big ticket, as in what way?

If you mean something like a TV, well I've bought 3 TV's over the last 15 years. A Samsung, a Sony and now an LG. None of those purchases were made as a consequence of advertising, but based rather on size, price and reviews of said TV. I couldn't care less if a TV is made by Jimmy down the road, so long as it did what I wanted it to do.

I'd never buy anything based on a particular brand or a particular advertisement either. In fact I've never even seen an ad for TV's made by any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The last TV I bought was purchased because it fitted the stand I wanted to put it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

No. You can't go through life without being influenced by it to some degree. You may not realise it but its true.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

Advertisement