Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think you're above advertising?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Definitely true but from the few times we've had to do the weekly shop in Tesco, Dunnes or Supervalu for whatever reason there's still a very noticeable difference in the price of a week's shopping there over Lidl or Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Agreed. I was involved in Dunnes stores when Lild and Aldi had them backed up against the wall, they couldn't compete with the German giants and their advertising saturation that targeted so many (as we can see from this thread). Dunnes bought in a guy from a UK supermarket chain. He introduced the money back system and took Dunnes to a different level, cheese mongers, butchers, "market place", high end foods etc... They simply couldn't match them on value so they went high end, particularly with the Simply Better range.

Supervalue have always been good on quality food and Tesco have improved by miles. At one stage a few years ago their beef was inedible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭wench

Tesco have improved by miles. At one stage a few years ago their beef was inedible.

Because it was horse...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Benmann

I drove by a billboard for an alcoholic drink last week. I don't drink it but I came up with an idea for another billboard for it. Totally different. if they bought it how much should I be paid.I know it's like "how long is a piece of string" but would it hundreds or thousands?.

I would be giving them a photo with a friend of mine modelling it and the slogan added in photoshop for them to give to their own company to produce it professionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭3DataModem

As an advertiser, I love people who don't think they are influenced by Marketing. They are the ones influenced by Marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Marketing != Advertising.

Literally the subject of the first class in Marketing 101.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,134 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's exactly what an advertiser would say... make everyone question themselves.

The vast majority of the marketing in the business I work in is performance marketing, i.e. online, facebook, youtube, digital banners, etc. A huge proportion of our customers don't believe they came via marketing / advertising, but they are objectively wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,134 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'll pick up on your phrasing there - you say they 'came via' marketing. so i could posit that they heard about the product due to the marketing, which is sensible, it's how we hear about most products. but as to whether it influenced the decision to purchase, how is that measured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Benmann

funny thing is i'm going for pints later with a friend who works in the business. must ask have they ever been approached like that!

you'd need to find out which agency is representing the brand first anyway; and they could easily claim they'd already thought of and shelved your idea, which would leave them open to taking it and using it anyway, claiming they'd separately come up with the idea.

I'm not sure of the distinction.

You see a digital ad for Breò beer. You say to yourself "I am now aware of that new beer type. I am going to now make an informed decision to consider that for my next beer purchase." and some time later you are in a bar and after sipping a friends pint to try it, decide to buy Breò. Do you think you have been affected by marketing? Hint: the answer is yes. And the company can measure it with a whole host of information provided by the digital ad provider... including location information.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Why would you ever change what you drink unless it's not available? Yes some are very susceptible to advertising but many are immune to it too.

my (very shallow) understanding was that digital advertising has a major problem with causation/correlation that is very difficult to overcome - and that it's in the interests of the ad providers to overstate the effectiveness of their ads.

I guess you'll have to find out who the agency is, find the suit, get to the creatives and pitch your idea. It's as unusual for someone not in the industry to come up with something successful as it is in any industry. Usually it's engineers that come up with engineering solutions, chefs that come up with recipes... advertising is no different. Unfortunately it's doubtful your idea will be a runner.

Approaches that get anyway near are from people in the peripherals of the business. They're usually awful, localised and fail to meet the advertising standards (particularly when it comes to advertising alcohol, most alcohol will have further self regulated rules when it comes to photography like no cars in the shot, no more than one bottle or glass etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

No, they know it's cheap because they come home and look at their bill and then talk to everyone about it. Every ad, whether it be tesco, dunnes, supervalu, lidl, or aldi says something to the effect of "cheaper here".

The price info is disseminate via advertising, the advertising is trusted & tried by people buy the products. WOM marketing kicks in when a consumer's interest in a company's product or service is reflected in their daily dialogues.

Essentially, it is free advertising triggered by customer experiences, usually, something that goes beyond what they expected.

Lild thanks you for sharing the advertising when you talk to everyone about it. Not only are you affected by advertising, you are advertising companies when you talk about them.

Your arguments seem to depend a lot on a "snuck premise". Firstly I don't talk about my bill at Lidl with friends, and secondly I am not affected by advertising. And just to be clear, it technically isn't advertising if I did talk about such things... whether it benefits Lidl or not.

It is your opinion that it goes beyond what they expected, but in reality it is to be expected that if someone gets a good deal they'll talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭supermans ghost

There may come a time in the next century or so (assuming humanity survives that long) when advertising will be looked on as an evil force the compels humans to seek that which they don’t require or need in their everyday life, furthering the destruction of the Earth’s limited resources.

just a thought.

• Advertisement

You're right, those good deals are exactly what they are advertised as. Good deals. And you're right again, we expect people like you to talk about them, it's done on purpose and it causes WOM marketing, brings people like you in to the shop, then, before you know it you're buying other stuff in the shop, wine, beer and tall the other stuff you buy.

Thanks.

Edit... not all advertising is insidious or dishonest. A lot of it is just factual. A deal is a deal and a lot of the time it is what it is. Understanding it instead of avoiding it will serve you well. Your classic restaurant blackboard deal on the sandwich board is what it is and you will 100% get that deal. The hope for the small business is that you will eat or drink more or simply come back to the establishment & create bums on seats.

Post edited by John_Rambo on

Beer? I already said that I don't drink in my original post.

Perhaps you're forgetting... the topic being discussed is whether you're above advertising or not... not whether advertising is or isn't affective. So I am above advertising meaning I can't be persuaded to buy something that is not to my benefit.

Beer, crisps, steaks, bread... lots of other products there that people buy when getting the deal on a chainsaw or dehumidifier!!

I get that you think you're above advertising, recognise that 100% and I hear what you're saying. You've never ever ever seen a good deal advertised and gone for it. Ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

that's what an advertiser would say, of course.

There are a lot of people who not only make choices based on personal taste and not by adverts, they might even stop buying a product if the wrong advert gets in the way. How many people used to drink Budlight without ever see an advert for it, but the moment they saw dylan mulvaney they stopped buying the product

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most shops only stock items that are advertised or else own brand store items, most people will buy items with a brand they know or else the cheap own brand items,the shops place higher price brand items in places where you,ll see them ,no one is above advertising, the yellow pack coke,cola does not taste the same as coca cola .with high inflation people may be forced to buy cheaper yellow pack item,s

supermarkets research exactly where to place where to place every item so as to get maximum profits

Bud lite is a mass market beer mainly bought by males ,of course paying a trans woman influencer to promote bud lite was bound to cause backlash from right wing conservatives .

Er... yeah. They were influenced by Marketing. Bad Marketing.

These days the ads on the internet you see are tested extensively and rapidly, fonts, colours, texts etc are varied programatically and dynamically and optimised for the audience. We bid for your eyeball-time based on what can be discerned of your tastes. It's not perfect (far from it) but the people who drive an Audi and say they weren't influenced by marketing but then say they only test-drove a couple of cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I dont think I am above advertising at all. But how would I know if I were? How would I prove this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What do you base your purchases on? If it's an ad you saw and you went out to buy something based on that. Then you've been influenced by that ad.

If you don't watch ads, or look at them on the web or elsewhere. Then you're not.

Everyone sees ads at some point. But whether they actually influence a given person is a different matter. The problem we have here in this discussion is that there is no quantifiable data to show how, or even if, an advert can influence a given person to purchase something or whether there were entirely different factors involved.

The best we can say is there are certainly many people who would be influenced by ads and brands and whatnot. But, equally, we can say that there are many who are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I would assume that most ads try to not directly make it obvious they are trying to influence me though. Like they are using social media accounts pretending to be real people and it doesn't look like an ad. Or influencers who dont say its an ad.

And maybe its a subtle ad that i dont remember but still buy it.

Advertisement