Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think you're above advertising?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Some I actually discussed this kind of topic with and others I just gleaned the knowledge from knowing them long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

I am open to correction on this as I haven't been in one in years but most of the fast food franchise companies only offer drinks made by the coca cola company (Coke, Sprite and Fanta), milkshakes and awful tea, so it isn't like younger people would stop having them offered as a limited option.

Unless of course sales tanked so much due to no advertising that another company could gain an edge and the franchises switch to them.

Kids might want X, but until they have their own money their parents decide what is bought, and it isn't like a kid having a hissy fit because their parents won't buy them something in a supermarket isn't a rare sight. If their parents like CC or some other brand and actually buy it to go with meals or part of a movie snack that is what will be available, and that can form a habit/association with a brand that lasts.

I still see TK red lemonade available and it used to be the snack drink bought in my house (as well as most of my friends) as a kid because it was the one both parents liked. I buy it as a mixer along with CC for when my friends visit as they like both, and they still buy it for their kids. A quick search is only bringing back places that sell it and one tv advert from the 80s for the entire TK range that I don't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,887 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The TK brand association has lasted with you. It is marketed as being very Irish, but it is just one of a list belonging to Britvic.

Product Description (Tesco)

• Lemon flavour soft drink with sugar and sweeteners
    • A True Original
    • There's a fine line between genius and madness. The genius of Taylor to be one of the first in Ireland to create carbonated lemonade and the madness of Keith to insist that it should be Red. A Red Lemonade that uniquely blends real craft and quality with great fun and refreshment.
    • Sure where else would you get it? Nowhere - because TK Red Lemonade is a true Irish Original like lovin' the GAH, Hang Sandwiches or calling a Cupboard a Press... Don't bother trying to explain it. It's Ours... You just knock it back and enjoy every mouthful.
    • Taylor - Keith

Britvic Ireland, formerly C & C Soft Drinks is a soft drinks company. Its brand portfolio includes: Ballygowan; 7 Up; Club; Cidona; TK lemonade; Mi Wadi; Robinson; Pepsi; Club mixers; and Energise.

Britvic plc, through its subsidiaries, engages in the production and distribution of soft drinks primarily in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland. The company offers stills and carbonates under the brand names 7UP, Ame, Britvic, Britvic, J20, Drench, Gatorade, Idris, Pennine Spring, Pepsi, Purdey's, Really Wild Drinks, Red Devil, Robinsons, Fruit Shoot, Fruit Spring, R Whites, Shandy Bass, and Tango. Britvic through a relationship with PepsiCo, Inc. holds the right to distribute the Pepsi and 7UP brands in Great Britain and Ireland, as well as access to all new carbonated drinks developed by PepsiCo for distribution. In addition, it supplies water-coolers and bottled water.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Thanks for the information, but I don't drink it myself, just buy it to be a good host as some of my friends like it as a mixer and some prefer CC as their mixer, if they preferred 7up for example then that would be what I would get when they were to visit.

I like my whiskey neat or with some water, so they don't have to return the favour when I visit them.

Just interesting that it has survived without any advertising from what I can find since the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,131 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But some other advertising, marketing, etc made you decide to drink some other product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭rock22

Why do you believe that his choice was decided by advertising. Perhaps he drinks what his father drank? Or what he tried and liked as a young man and now continues.

I seldom drink beer but will in summer time. i buy whatever is the cheapest in Lidl at the time. This varies from time to time. I will occasionally buy a weißbier because I like it. I have never seen it advertised . And I don't buy a particular brand. I drink wine at a meal but will buy whatever is reduced or affordable in the supermarket, usually Lidl.

I have no branded anything, except possibly my car. I bought the first model because at the time it was way cheaper than equivalents being an Eastern European make that was trying to enter the market. I have owned British , German , Italian, Czech and Japanese brands in my lifetime. All bought because they were available, secondhand at a good price, or new because they were cheaper than other makes. None were advertised that i remember. I bought my motorcycle based on models I had tried out in the distant past. In most cases they are no longer current models and have not been advertised for years. When did you last see an ad for a motorcycle on TV?

I buy clothes in Penneys or Dunnes stores. No brand as far as I know. I get at least ten years out of a shirt or jeans, often a lot more, before they get relegated to gardening duty, where they often survive another ten years.

Not everyone is so influenced by marketing. To many of us , it just pass us by. On tv it is a chance to trawl the other channels and see what else is on.

Why do you believe that his choice was decided by advertising.

Because most people's are, regardless of what they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭saabsaab

That's about t for me. I tasted Colas when I was a kid but didn't like it at all so went for somethiung else available. A lot of peer pressure to drink Cola at the time (70s).

If only 'most' people are influenced by advertising , then , by definition, a minority of people are not influenced by advertising.

Why do you continually question the honesty of people who say they are part of that minority who are not influenced by advertising?

Even if you believe that most people are influenced by advertising then logically you accept that some are not.

• Advertisement

Why do you continually question the honesty of people who say they are part of that minority who are not influenced by advertising?

Because no one is immune to advertising, and people who think they are are just fooling themselves.

I may take no heed of the Coke or Pepsi ads on TV or the radio or online.

I may have an adblocker, or only watch the BBC or Netflix etc.

But when I open my local free sheet paper that is delivered to the door and see an ad for a new Indian restaurant in my town, that advertising has just worked, because I liked indian food.

You may ignore the advertising for products you don't want, but for the products you do then advertising will play a part in your choices.

Not matter how much you think otherwise.

You have just described how you are influenced by advertising.

You have not shown how other, like me, are not.

By all means , speak for yourself, but don't continue questioning the honesty of others.

I . like many others, am not influenced by advertising for most things you have mentioned on this thread.

Only a couple of hours ago you said most people are influenced by advertising now you are saying no one is immune to advertising.

It might be helpful if you clarify your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

@rock22 Why do you believe that his choice was decided by advertising

Because he’s trying to wind him up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I.R.Y.E.D was fully convinced the influencer he watches wasn't an influencer and didn't get a penny from any of the manufacturers products used in the videos. I work in advertising and I knew this couldn't be the case, a YouTube with over 500,000 subscribers and hundreds of videos uploaded isn't doing it for nothing. A quick google reveals that the man in question is indeed paid for using various products.

He has a clever disclaimer letter probably drafted up by his ad agency that diminishes the money in question.

This proves that people convinced they're immune to advertising are in fact targeted. Claiming to have never used any sort of advertising service like carzone, donedeal, adverts.ie etc... are dubious, but impressive claims.

People that use advertising to their advantage and gain by buying loss leaders, BOGOF offers (and nothing else) etc... & check fuel price advertising before filling up are far more cute and savvy. They're the ones giving the finger to the marketing managers.

People that use advertising to their advantage and gain by buying loss leaders, BOGOF offers (and nothing else) etc... & check fuel price advertising before filling up are far more cute and savvy. They're the ones giving the finger to the marketing managers.

Well this is it.

The people who claim to totally avoid advertising (Have adblocker, only watch Netflix etc, don't listen to the radio, have not looked at a billboard in years etc) are missing out on so much, from discounts, offers etc to products that might actually improve their lives, and God forbid they might actually enjoy.

What! discounts on stuff you don't need or want. No thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Again, though, just because you buy something doesn't mean advertising has played a part. You're making the mistake of believing that because somebody handed over money for a product they did so because they were influenced in some way by an ad.

That's not necessarily the case.

You don't know that.

In fact such a thing is unquantifiable. There are entire studies that are inconclusive on the subject and it's still a matter of debate amongst academics. At best, one might conclude that advertising MIGHT work on SOME people SOME of the time.

But, again, you're another person who's thinking that just because someone bought something that they did so at the behest of an advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

How about out and about on billboards on a poster or product placement in programs

I made a specific effort to notice what was on a billboard down the road from me the other day, because of this thread. I don't think I've looked at it in years. It was an ad for Heineken.

I'm not going to buy Heineken. They could cover my house in ads for it and it won't work.

Product placement in programs won't have an affect, because I'm all too aware of it. If James Bond fiddles with the latest watch from whoever makes watches. I'm still not going to get the urge to go out and buy one.

And what about discounts on the stuff you do need or want?

Are you ok with missing out on them because of your aversion to advertising?

And if they make a virtue of never buying anything that was advertised, it won't make for a happier life.

If I want a discount for something I'm not afraid to ask for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭babyducklings1

Of course advertising is every where and it’s hard not to see it. The differential is that some people are absolute slaves to advertising and other people are more discerning and don’t impulse buy based on a great tv ad or a social media influencer. The younger generation I think are going to have to be very strong not to get sucked in as the influencers and social media ads are working very hard to get them to buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

No, you have to think smart, you're either ignoring or misunderstanding the posts by people that work in advertising & know what they're talking about. This isn't about "stuff you don't need or want", we're talking about the loss leaders, the products that are priced below cost to stimulate sales of other, profitable goods. If you're astute & have the ability to accurately assess certain advertising promos & turn this to your advantage you'll be way ahead of the "I'm above advertising" brigade.

However, if you're unable to differentiate what has good value and what isn't you're probably better carrying on with the whole "see no evil, hear no evil" mantra and get sucked in to the increasingly insiduous below the line advertising that you think doesn't affect you.

BTW, Saabs advertising agency was McCann Erickson. They were the best, started in 1911 and now they're McCann World group. They are probably the reason why your name is saabsaab.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Advertising and PR works on all people some of the time. Anyone who thinks they don't get nudged towards certain consumer decisions by the advertising, PR and marketing industry is simply wrong.

Discretionary spend or essential purchases, you're getting played and nudged in the sales funnel constantly. And that goes for all social strata and education levels.

• Advertisement

Impulse buying. A whole subject on its own. Someone who is an "absolute slave" to advertising, would buy only products which advertising directed them to. But impulse buying would come from more diverse influences.

Advertisement